Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1.   Posted by Watcher (Nico).Group: 0
Watcher (Conan)
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 09:37
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
The hotel was ritzy, old school. Off long, dark corridors they could see the rows of doors leading to individual rooms. To get a look at the lobby, they walked down a larger central staircase, covered in fading red carpet. The staircase continued down, but they stopped on the balcony, letting the light from Illyana's sword shine down on the open area below.

Everything was frozen in time. At the check-in counter, the registration book was still open. Room keys were arranged neatly behind it. A newspaper lay on the floor. And there were corpses were everywhere.

On the ground floor, near to the reception area, was the bar. Bottles of wine sat half-finished on tables. The place had been crowded. All seats were occupied by the dead: some guests sat against walls, a bottle on one side, a glass on the other. A distinctive scarlet sheen floated on the surface on many of the drinks, and they had no doubt it would, on closer examination, prove to be more of the mysterious moss.

A quiet static hissed from speakers in the corners, under the recorded piano music that was playing. They realized it was just the music that the hotel had played during business hours before disaster had struck, to accentuate the place's high-class atmosphere. In the darkness, however, the overall effect was much more disconcerting.

A the far end of the lobby there was a pair of double doors, one slightly ajar, from which voices could be heard. Above the doors was an ornate sign that said "Grand Ballroom." There were also other noises, noises of movement, and perhaps a slight whimper. Leading up to the double doors was a trail of dark liquid, liquid that had to be blood.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:21, Sun 19 Jan 2014.

Magik
 GM, 167 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 13:13
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
"We could just run in there," Illyana whispered, "hope to take them by surprise. But there's no telling what awaits us. I didn't get an exact headcount, it looked to be anywhere from five to eight, but it's possible there were others already here."

She scanned the lobby for possible vantage points. A window, a hole in the wall, anything through which they could see into the room. Finding nothing that fit the bill, she frowned, slightly frustrated.

"If we are quiet, perhaps we could get close enough to peer through that open door..." A spark of an idea popped into her head, and she turned quickly to look at Nico. "Can that staff of yours do anything to help us?"
Nico Minoru
 GM, 175 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 13:41
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Nico eyed her own staff and thought a moment. She was sure there was a dictionary of words that came to mind, but then again, she knew the dangers of using the thing. "It's about as likely that we just end up revealing ourselves when this thing decides stealth means smoke grenades going off all around us. I say we try good old fashioned sneaking first and see what we can find out. If one's bleeding that badly, we might actually be in luck." It would either be an easy fight (she hoped) or a quick ally.
Magik
 GM, 168 posts
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 15:31
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Illyana nodded. She had said she would let Nico call the shots, and demon queen or not, she always stayed true to her word. She took point as the two crept down the central staircase, carefully avoiding the spots where the carpet had worn through to avoid making noise.

"Once we get to the bottom of the stairs," she whispered back over her shoulder, "I'll dismiss my soulsword so they don't see the light."

As they stepped onto the lobby floor, she did so, returning the soulsword to the nothingness in which it rests. Neither girl was trained to be stealthy, though both had been in situations that required it, so they were a bit nervous as they slowly approached the door...

Conan, if your narrative involves the girls being caught or finding some obstacle on their way down the stairs or through the lobby, feel free to edit this post or cut it down.
Watcher (Conan)
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 21:13
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
The girls peered through the cracked door into the ballroom, which was lit by a dimmed chandelier, from which hung objects that could not be identified in the meager light. Around a massive table sat five rough-looking, pale men and women, dressed in an absurd mix of gang attire and expensive clothes likely looted from the abandoned stores nearby.

They had plates in front of them, but no food. Occasionally, liquid dripped down on their table from above, but more often they caught the liquid in their cups. They were all drinking from ornate looking goblets, and were all laughing as if someone had just told a joke.

Except for one who did not laugh. After a moment, a woman angrily pounded her fist on the table.

"Enough! This is ridiculous!" the woman said. "We can't live like this. We were not meant to live like this... Every night we can find a new banquet hall or fancy restaurant to dine in, but we all know what we are drinking. All this sham and pageantry to make it tolerable, but this... This is not immortality. This is mere survival."

"You got a better idea?" one of the others said. He looked to be a young man, late teens or early 20's. His face could barely be seen in the gloom, but Nico found him somehow familiar. "A source for sustenance that would suit us?"

"We have to go out there," she said, gesturing to the north. "Out to the mountains, to the wilderness, where the Resistance hides, vulnerable in their pathetic squalor."

"Vulnerable to who? You know what protects them," the young man. "I've faced their like before. Have you?"

The young man stood, and looked at the others. "I tell you this: Our Prince is right. The time will come for us to feast on true prey again, but not until his plans are all in place. Until then, the wilderness is suicide."

At this point, the young man thrust his face into the light. His features could be made out now. "I intend to do what I've always: survive. Anyone else got a different plan?"

Nico grabbed her mutant companion's arm, digging her fingers in. They had to go, now.

The look on the young sorceress's face spoke volumes to Illyana. As they began to creep back slowly, there was a voice behind them.

"See anything interesting?" was the dusky, feminine whisper.

Illyana and Nico looked back at the voice, saw the woman all in black, saw her teeth... Nico's fears were confirmed by the woman's appearance. She had recognized the young man. His name was Topher.

The two both realized, at once, what the objects hanging from the chandelier were. They were dogs, dogs from the wild pack they had seen earlier. The liquid dripping down was what remained of their blood, the same blood those gathered around the table were drinking from their goblets.

With sound like the flap of many leathery wings, the girls found themselves surrounded by those who had surrounded the dining table moments before. There were a total of six of them.

"Well well well," Topher said, with a horrifying. "Looks like our luck's changed. The black-haired one will be of great interest to our Prince. As for the blond... well, looks like tonight may hold more than more survival for us after all..."

Nico's eyes locked on the bastard's face. He was someone the Runaways had met early on, when they were still grappling with the truth, and trying to figure out who to trust. Topher had joined them for a while, but had quickly proven to be a con-man, liar, killer, and traitor.

He was also a vampire...

OOC: I have added the Vampire Street Gang to our list of characters, so if I did it right (and it took me a while to figure out how to do it at all), you should see their datafile listed and clickable when you click "The Cast." I called out Nico to go first below, but per our usual rule, if Magik has a burning desire to go first, it is fine by me. Also, I have added a third scene distinction.
quote:
Illyana     1 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico        1 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Vampire Street Gang (Mob)     3d8, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Doom Pool: 3d6
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complication: 
NEXT UP: Nico

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:50, Sun 19 Jan 2014.

Nico Minoru
 GM, 177 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Mon 20 Jan 2014
at 01:07
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
As soon as it was clear who it was, Nico's response was flight. But that wasn't an option now and that was just great...her eyes looked around until she saw Topher. "Remember how I said I had a lot of boyfriend trouble?" she whispered, eyeing Magik at her side as her knuckles closed around the staff. But she had to face this as much as she had to face this reality of a destroyed L.A.

"Thought you were dead." Nico said, trying her best to sound smug. Technically, Karolina had been the one to kill him, but that didn't mean she couldn't. When he joined them, they were still trying to figure out how to fight their parents. It felt like years ago. "Doesn't matter, ready to die again? Or do you not remember my staff going through your heart the last time?"

Trying to inflict emotional stress. Spending a PP to get a stunt Minoru Magic "More Afraid of Her Parents", either because of the world (if they ended up succeeding) or because of her parents killing his minions

Buddy d8 + Closest Warm Body d4+PP (He's Nico's ex, unfortunately) + Weapon d6 + More Afraid of Her Parents d8
20:06, Today: Nico Minoru rolled 8,2,1,1 using d8,d8,d6,d4 with rolls of 8,2,1,1.
And my luck this week continues to be awful

Total = 10+d4


quote:
Illyana     1 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico        1 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Vamp Gang   3d8, -- PS, -- MS, -- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Doom Pool: 3d6
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complication: 

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:06, Wed 22 Jan 2014.

Watcher (Conan)
Mon 20 Jan 2014
at 08:40
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
OOC Doom Pool: Nico, gain 1 PP, as the Doom Pool will buy your opportunity and step up one of our Doom dice twice with your two 1's.

Reaction: 3d8 Team + d4 Pack Mentality (Nico seems confident about having defeated their most powerful member previously) + Menace Expert d8 =4d8+d4

00:19, Today: Conan the Accuser, on behalf of Vampire Street Gang, rolled 4d8,d4 with rolls of 7,4,7,3,4. to avoid Nico's emotional stress attempt.

7+7 = 14 Total, d8 Effect. Successfully avoiding Nico's less than stellar roll. (Forgot to include Nico's physical stress, but turned out not to need it.)


Topher didn't seem intimidated, but he did seem puzzled. "You'd think I'd remember something like a staff through the heart... Especially the Staff of One, if somehow that is actually what you carry. Have we met? I only know you from a distance, through our Prince, I hadn't thought you'd know me from Adam," Topher mused, his comrades snarling and circling. "Then again, aren't you the one whose supposed to be dead?"

Topher's words didn't make sense. And Nico had seen him die a final death, a dramatic one. But he didn't seem to be lying, though he was an expert of deception. Was he running another con? Or had he lost his mind? Or worse, was this "present" which Nico had returned to even more altered from the one she remembered than she'd yet realized?

The vampires surrounding them seemed content to hang back for the moment, letting Topher toy with their pray. They were jocular with each other, confident. Clearly, they had no fear that these two posed any threat.

"I'm intrigued, daughter of the Minorus," Topher said, his fangs extending, his eyes glistening red. "Thankfully, our masters will want you alive, so we will have the chance to puzzle this mystery out..."
quote:
Illyana     1 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico        2 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Vamp Gang    3d8,  -- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Doom Pool: d10,2d6
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complication: 
OOC: Nico, did you want the vampires to go next, or Illyana?
Nico Minoru
 GM, 178 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Mon 20 Jan 2014
at 13:23
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Let's give the vampires the floor
Watcher (Conan)
Tue 21 Jan 2014
at 20:48
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
"As for you, sword-girl," Topher said sweetly,  "Come along without a fuss and we'll make you immortal. With fuss? We'll just tear you apart and drink from the pieces."  He turned to his pack of fellow predators. "Let's get them restrained, and quickly... now!"

All at once the vampires became black blurs in the dancing light of Illyana's reignited soulsword. Limbs and wing-like flaps of long coats fluttered around the sorceresses, confusing them, clawed hands and long arms reaching to grasp at their arms, their shoulders, their faces and hair.

(OOC: The vampires are attempting to inflict a "Grabbed" complication on both Nico and Illyana.

Team 3d8 + Pack Mentality d8 + Enhanced Strength d8 + Combat Expert d8 + d6 area attack + d6 Nico's physical stress = 6d8, 2d6

12:39, Today: Conan the Accuser, on behalf of Vampire Street Gang, rolled using 6d8,2d6 with rolls of 3,5,4,5,8,7,4,1 to grab Nico and Illyana.

1 Opportunity available.

7+8=15 Total, d8 Effect Nico, d8 Effect Magik

Note that the the opportunity leaves them open to either one of you for a counterattack if appropriate.)

REACTIONS NEEDED: Magik, Nico
Next UP: Magik

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:51, Tue 21 Jan 2014.

Nico Minoru
 GM, 179 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Tue 21 Jan 2014
at 21:44
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Nico struggled against the vampires who seemed to swarm around them like a net. She swung the staff the best she could, but it was in vain. By the time she fended off one vampire, a different set of hands had her shoulder. Pulling away from that one only got her caught by another one and twice as secure. She was right in their clutches.

Buddy d8 + Closest Warm Body d4+PP + Levitation d6 + Enhanced Durability d8

16:42, Today: Nico Minoru rolled 4,6,1,6 using d4,d6,d8,d8 with rolls of 4,6,1,6.

Total = 12+d4

Nico's caught!


quote:
Illyana     1 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico        3 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets

Vamp Gang   3d8,  -- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Doom Pool: d10,2d6
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complication: 

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:04, Wed 22 Jan 2014.

Magik
 GM, 169 posts
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 00:35
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Buddy D6, Demon Queen of Limbo D8, Teleport D10, Enhanced Durability D8, Combat Expert D8.

Magik rolled 4,1,1,2,7 using d6,d8,d10,d8,d8 with rolls of 4,1,1,2,7. to escape the vampire's clutches.

WOW. Well hey, Nico, at least you're not alone on the terrible roll. Even with my only PP, the best I would be able to muster is a 13 total, so it looks like we're both caught. At least my turn is the only one left.

EDIT - Whoops! Forgot to actually write my total: 11, with a D8.
2ND EDIT - AND forgot the status bar, geez...


Illyana made the mistake of trying to create a stepping disk instead of dodging on her own. She had intended to teleport to a better position and hit them from behind, but instead she found herself being pulled backwards from her portal as it closed itself, unused.

quote:
Illyana     1 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets
Nico        3 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets

Vamp Gang   3d8,  -- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Doom Pool: d10,2d6
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complication: 

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:05, Wed 22 Jan 2014.

Watcher (Conan)
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 01:02
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
(OOC:
Magik gain a PP.
Nico gain a PP.
Doom Pool uses Nico's opportunity to step up a d6 to d8, and Magik's two opportunities to step up a d6 to d10.
There is still a Watcher opportunity available to buy if either of you wants a stunt.)

Magik
 GM, 170 posts
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 01:06
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Struggling against the vampires' grasps, Magik started getting angry. She gritted her teeth and planted her feet to stop them dragging her back.

"Six of you against two of us?" she taunted. "How courageous the vampire 'rulers' of Los Angeles are! You enjoy pawing at us, like animals? Let's see how you enjoy it the other way around..."

Magik is going to attempt one of her classic moves from the comics (that I'm actually kind of amazed I haven't used yet), summoning demonic hands from Limbo to claw at her attackers. She is attempting to put a Held by Demonic Hands complication on the Vampire Gang. Since we're starting a battle outside of Limbo, her Sorceress Supreme of Limbo limit kicks in, stepping back her Sorcery Mastery and Magic Resistance, but earning her a PP.

Buddy D6, Demon Queen of Limbo D8, Sorcery Mastery D8 (instead of D10), Superhuman Senses D10, Mystic Master D10. Her Curses and Summonings SFX will add a D6 (as well as step up one of the effect dice), and Area Attack will add another 2D6. Since we're already making this complicated, let's use Focus to combine two of those D6's into a D8, too.

Magik rolled 6,13,7 using 2d10,3d8,2d6 with rolls of 3,3,3,4,6,3,4. to complicate the vampires. Well, that's not great. But we have a fresh, new PP to spend to throw another die into the total, making it Total: 14, with effects of D10, D10, D8.


quote:
Illyana     2 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets
Nico        4 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets

Vamp Gang   3d8,  -- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets

Doom Pool: 2d10,d8
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complication: 

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:04, Wed 22 Jan 2014.

Watcher (Conan)
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 07:54
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
"Easy enough," Topher said. "They don't seem to be putting up much of a-- Mmmmpp!"

He was interrupted by a demonic hand that reached out and clamped over his mouth. Behind the vampires, a number of portals to Limbo had opened, their fiery glare matching the glow in Magik's eyes.

In the depths of the portals, hellish faces grinned, as their ropey arms reached out to grab the vampires just as they had grasped their intended prey.

Three of the vampires-- half the gang-- were pulled into the portals right off the bat. The interdimensional maws closed shut behind them, leaving only jagged red lines fading in the air. One vampire's legs were being pulled in, and it locked its arms around a column in the lobby, taking it effectively out of the fight.

Only two other portals remained. Near the edge of one, Topher had just wrestled the hand from his face, but was still struggling with it. Near the other, the vampiress who had spoke so defiantly before kept her hold on Illyana with one hand while trying to pull the edge of her coat away from the grasp of a pack of dog-faced demons.

The vampiress looked at Illyana strangely, as if in sudden, frightened recognition. "Are you--?" she began, but she seemed too caught up in the struggle against her two opponents to question further.

As Nico evaded the grasp of the bloodsuckers who'd held her, just in time to watch them disappear into the portals, she brought her staff around-- only to cry out in pain as her other arm was wrenched back behind her back. She heard Topher's voice behind her, felt his cold breath at her neck, noted the stress in his town from continuing the fight the demon who had a hold of his arm.

"Bring the others back, now," he hissed, over the sounds of battle and the laughter of demons, "Or I'll tear you in half and let our Prince bring you back as something considerably less pretty..."

OOC: Team 3d8 + Pack Mentality d8 + Enhanced Reflexes d8 + Illyana's Complication d8 + Mystic Expert d8 = 7d8

22:17, Today: Conan the Accuser, on behalf of Vampire Street Gang, rolled using 8d8 with rolls of 5,5,1,3,1,7,4,6. to avoid Magik's portals

(Rolled two opportunities if anyone is interested.)

7+6 = 13 Total, d8 Effect

Just noticed I made the Affiliation dice for the vampires weird, more like some large scale threats, I think because I was cutting and pasting from something else. Fixed that, it's just 3d8 (now just d8) regular mob dice.

The mob loses two Team dice and gains a d8 Held by Demonic Hands complication.
However, both PCs have at least one vampire's hand on them, since their Grabbed complication is still firmly in place.

Magik, I believe inflicting those complications successfully to step away those mob dice qualifies you to step those powers back up per your Sorceress Supreme of Limbo Limit.
Status Block:
Illyana     2 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets
Nico        4 PP,  d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets

Vamp Gang   d8,  -- PS, --- MS, --- ES, Held by Demonic Hands Complication d8, No Assets

Doom Pool: 2d10,d8
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complications: --- 
OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE: 2 NEW ROUND: Magik, you choose, who is up next?

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:06, Wed 22 Jan 2014.

Magik
 GM, 171 posts
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 11:13
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Let's have Nico go next. Hopefully she can take advantage of Magik's successful attack, and maybe even take down the last two vampires.
Nico Minoru
 GM, 181 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Wed 22 Jan 2014
at 17:32
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Magik's minions did exactly what they were supposed to do and that left Nico time for an opening. A hand had clasped over her mouth to prevent her spells, but now she bit it so she could use her staff, getting out of the hold of the distracted vampire long enough to shout out "Garlic Breath!" letting the Staff do the work of changing their last meal to a deadly one.

Activate the opportunity for a Staff stunt -1 PP (3 total)

Buddy d8 + Daughter of Dark Wizards d8 + Sorcery Supremacy d12 + Any Spell Once d6 + Mystic Expert d8 + Garlic Breath Spell d10

12:30, Wed 22 Jan 2014: Nico Minoru rolled 5,4,3,5,10,8 using d6,d8,d8,d8,d10,d12 ((5,4,3,5,10,8)).

And just in case, spend an extra PP on a third die total (-1 PP, 2 total)
Total = 23 + d10 (d8 steps up from Any spell Once)


quote:
Illyana 2 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets Nico 2 PP, d6 PS, --- MS, --- ES, Caught Complication d8, No Assets Vamp Gang d8, -- PS, --- MS, --- ES, Held by Demonic Hands Complication d8, No Assets Doom Pool: 2d10,d8 Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror Scene Complications: ---
Watcher (Conan)
Fri 24 Jan 2014
at 08:22
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
A pungent cloud of vapor issued from Nico's mouth, scattering the remaining vampires. The one stuggling on the ground lost his battle and was pulled into the portal. The woman in the long coat screeched as the vapor seemed to burn her face and hands, and she released her hold on Illyana. Then all at once, her coat fell to the ground, and from beneath it, a swarm of rats scurried out into the shadows.

As if he'd been sprayed by acid, Topher screamed as wounds opened all over his face and began to bleed. He too changed his shape, his body shrinking and blackening. Topher took the form of a bat and flew off into the night.

The portals to Limbo closed, the laughter of demons hanging in the air behind them, mingled with the sound of the vampires screaming as something terrible befell them.

After a moment, the lobby was silent again, the whole place smelling like an Italian restaurant. They were alone, and lit only by the blaze of Magik's soulsword.



OOC: Reaction: d8 Mob Die + d8 Undying Loyalty + d10 Superhuman Durability + d8 Mystic Expert + d8 Nico's Caught Complication + d6 Nico's Physical Stress = d10+4d8+d6

23:39, Today: Conan the Accuser, on behalf of Vampire Street Gang, rolled using d10,4d8,d6 with rolls of 9,1,8,7,5,3 to avoid Garlic Breath spell.

Reaction failed; the vampire mob has been complicated out of the fight.

Nico Minoru
 GM, 185 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Fri 24 Jan 2014
at 17:56
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Nico's hand waved in front of her face, not realizing the garlic breath would be quite so strong. She certainly didn't have blood pouring from her face, but the taste wasn't pleasant. She almost hoped the hotel's dining room had left over dinner mints or something.

But as she looked around and realized the silence, she also realized the last of the vampires had managed to get away. No closer to finding out what had happened than they were before, she sighed. "Looks like we're back to square one with figuring this place out." She waited a moment, letting the staff fade into her bodyonce more, hoping that would stop the after effects of the spell, when it didn't she began riffling through the hotel's front desk for some sort of breath cleanser. "That was...a lot grosser than I expected."

quote:
Illyana     2 PP, --- PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets
Nico        2 PP,  d4 PS, --- MS, --- ES, No Complications, No Assets
8
Scene Distinctions: Ruined Cityscape, Los Angeles?, Surrounded by Horror
Scene Complications: --- 
Magik
 GM, 173 posts
Fri 24 Jan 2014
at 22:41
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Magik unceremoniosly dumped a corpse out of a nearby chair and took a seat. She sat in thought for a moment.

"I know we were planning to head to the city of coral," she said, "but the vampires mentioned a resistance, out in the wilderness near the mountains. I'm not familiar with the area, so I don't know what mountains they're referring to, but it might be worth a shot."

She stood again, and walked toward Nico, who was still frantically searching for something to get the awful taste out of her mouth.

"If they are the vampire's enemies, then they might be allies to us. Maybe that's where your friends are. Either way, I'm sure they can tell us what's going on in this ravaged city."
Watcher (Conan)
Sun 26 Jan 2014
at 05:00
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
The sorceresses decided to sleep on it. With camp already set up, and a search of the area locating no other immediate dangers, the girls spent the rest of the night in the same location, watch still posted. They each got a good five hours of sleep, enough to get through the next day.

When they woke, Illyana went to pack up the leftover food, only to discover that the remaining marshmellows in the opened bag were covered in the red moss, as were the graham crackers and chocolate that were already out. From what she could see through the translucent wrappers on the graham crackers, however, the food still packaged was uncorrupted.

Before finalizing their next move, the two opted for one last survey of their surroundings. During their search, they had uncovered an object under a tarp that turned out to be a telescope. It was too dark at night for the thing to be of much use, but when dawn came, they used it to survey the area.

They took turns, but Nico spent more time on hers, since she knew the area. She was looking towards the Westside, where the creeping ocean had expanded to the area past Westwood around Beverly Hills, when she saw something in the water beyond.

As she gazed, there was another earthquake, but despite the shaking of the building beneath, Nico stayed staring, transfixed, as she saw what might be causing it.

The water churned as the buildings shook, smashing a derelict container ship against one of the skyscrapers that was clustered on Wilshire between Beverly Hills and UCLA. These high-rises were the only structures that protruded above the waves, all that remained of sunken communities like Santa Monica and Brentwood. But soon, these buildings began to crumble as well, and it was clear the quake was much stronger to the west than it was in Hollywood.

However, Nico was not looking at the buildings, but what lay beyond them. Far out to sea, she saw something rising.

The ocean seemed to boil, in shades of brown and black. Then a monster rose from the waves: first, huge pale eyes; then a scaly head; and finally its immense body. Black ichor ran down its skin, dripping into the darkened sea. As it emerged fully, it stood perhaps a hundred or more feet above the waves, then lumbered towards Beverly Hills.

As Nico watched, the once proud buildings crumbled around the creature. Shaking to pieces, they collapsed into the roiling sea. The quake worsened, and cracks opened in the partially submerged highways leading inland from the flood.

Then there arose a low, keening hum, a noise both animal-like and unnatural. It seemed to come from all around, like a demonic chorus. One of the voices seemed nearby. Only on hearing this unearthly call, that seemed both near and far at once, did she look away from the telescope. And then, Illyana held up the bag, and Nico looked at first, in confusion, but then she heard.

The red moss was making the sound. Not just the moss on the marshmallows in the bag, but the moss on the puddles in the streets, the moss on the corpses everywhere, the moss in the building below, all singing the same, unmusical note. The sorceresses locked eyes for a moment, then some instinct told Nico to look back through the telescope.

The remaining building of the Westside were collapsing. Nico saw the cyclopean horror stop in the harbor that had once been the campus of UCLA, like a sentry watching over the sea. Then a mouthlike oriface opened in its face, and a much lower howl that harmonized with the sound of the moss, the creature's callback to the moss that seemed to have spread everywhere rumbling across the miles to echo in Nico and Illyana's ears.

Then both the sounds and the quake ended. The creature began to stalk back beneath the waves.

Beyond the monster, in the misty blue distance, similar but much larger creatures waded through the ocean, towering above it. The last remnants of Beverly Hills slid into the sea.

Now, the two sorceresses were left to decide their next destination.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:11, Sun 26 Jan 2014.

Magik
 GM, 176 posts
Thu 30 Jan 2014
at 00:16
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
There was silence for a few seconds, then suddenly Illyana looked at the bag of mossy marshmallows like she had only just realized she was holding them. With a noise of disgust, she whipped her arm and threw the bag off the side of the building. She took a deep breath.

"Nico," she said in a low tone, "whether we try the mountains, we explore the coral structures, or you want me to give you a walking tour of Limbo... I suddenly very much don't want to be in this city."

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:50, Mon 03 Feb 2014.

Nico Minoru
 GM, 192 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Sun 2 Feb 2014
at 20:39
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
"Agreed. We're definitely not getting help here...but we do know where the resistance is." Nico said, thinking now they might head to the woods. Though, if the vampires were scared of them, she wondered how she and Magik could convince them not to take them down. At this point, she simply wanted to know something about what had happened and why. She tried to avoid thinking about what they had seen. Whatever it was, she didn't want to go near it or wherever it was staying. She'd had enough with giant monsters for one lifetime.
Magik
 GM, 177 posts
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 00:51
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Illyana nodded. She was just glad to have a destination.

"Next question," Illyana said, "how do we get there? I can't 'port us there, I don't know the area well enough, and it's not in my sight. All I can see to the north is more city. Do you know how to drive?"

She caught herself before Nico responded.

"Wait, no. None of those cars is going to start." She took a few steps toward the roof's edge and looked out over the streets. "They've probably been there for years."

She turned back to Nico quickly, with her brow furrowed and her jaw set. Though they had not known each other long, the other girl had already become familiar with that look. It was the look that Illyana got when she had made a decision, and was about to do something without asking anyone else what they thought.

"I have an idea," she said, before one of her stepping discs appeared before her. She stepped into it and it closed behind her. Nico was alone on the roof for a few minutes. The nearly empty city was quiet enough that, had she paid close enough attention, she would have heard the far-off crash of breaking glass from the street below. When the portal reappeared, it stretched a bit wider than it had before, allowing Illyana to step out leading a new-looking mountain-bike with each arm.

"I saw a bike shop on the way here yesterday," she explained. "It didn't look like anyone had been in there since this all started. It might take a while to get there with these, but it's faster than walking."

Nico, feel free to throw some dialog or narration for yourself in there. The idea of Nico just sitting there quietly while Illyana plays out her little one-girl show is a bit odd.

On the topic of moving forward, I was a bit shaky on the idea of us GM'ing ourselves, but no one else has stepped forward. I guess we gotta do what we gotta do. I have some ideas for our meeting with the resistance, so once we get there I can handle narrating for a little while, unless you would prefer to do it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:52, Tue 04 Feb 2014.

Nico Minoru
 GM, 194 posts
 When blood is shed...
 Trauma: P: -; M: -; E: -;
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 05:45
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
Fine by me, Magik! We'll roll for each other. Worst comes to worst, we wait or Conan's return given this is a side story.

Nico looked a bit puzzled and as she tried to figure out where Magik has gone or if she was coming back, she took a few more looks around. She knew Magik couldn't make it to the woods. Was she going to bring a car up here? Not that they'd get very far - she couldn't drive - that was Chase's job. Maybe she could get them there? Her mind searched for words she could use, before suddenly the air opened up with the glowing discuss and Magik landed with two bikes near by. "That certainly works. Now just get us back down," she said, before she pulled out Chase' pocket knife and went to cut her Latverian dress open.

She stopped just a minute before she cut into the expensive fabric. "Actually, let's go with a classic. Phone Home." The Staff of One worked its magic, and with a swirl of purple energy, both bikes had turned into flying equivalents. Nico pocketed the knife and got onto one side saddle. This was dangerous, but seemed fun too - like going down a Roller coaster - looking down was the worst part but made it more exhilarating. "Should get us there pretty quickly too."
Watcher (Conan)
Tue 4 Feb 2014
at 09:06
Re: Mystic Arcana: Sisters Grimm, Act 1, Scene 1
It was hard not to hum the John Williams' theme as the bicycles took the air. Though the bikes flew, the spell still propelled them at the same speed they'd have had on the ground, but that was likely for the best. The ride was exhilarating, but also a bit frightening.

From high above, there was a much clearer picture of the water-logged region and the redrawn Southern California coastline. Somehow, seeing it from up here-- more like it would look on a map-- made the changes more disturbing. So many landmarks, so many places gone. Out to sea, the cyclopean giants stalked beyond the mists, so huge their size could hardly be judged. The colossi barely seemed to move, passing away from the shore, no faster than clouds in the wind, doing-- what exactly? It was hard to even speculate.

Nico noticed that Malibu, north of the crumbling former westside, was somehow still intact. Malibu, where the Wilders' mansion was, a destination she'd considered, the place where she and her friends had first discovered the truth about their parents. Thick stormclouds hung over it, shrouding it in darkness, and what looked like large birds-- or some other creatures with wings-- soared in wide circles above the beachfront homes.

For now, however, Malibu was not their goal. Instead, they had gone to seek "the Resistance." To Nico's recollection, there were only two possible places to the north that could be called "wilderness", and one was so far north it would take a day or more to reach at the speed of a bicycle. The other, less than an hour away, was Griffith Park., so that was where they headed now...

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:33, Tue 04 Feb 2014.