Into the winecellars once more.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 3675 posts
 DM says
 roll for initiative!
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 16:31
Into the winecellars once more
Mancini gathers an unlikely crew to see what is holding up the kobolds from cleaning Lamont DuClair's extensive cellars.
Mancini
 player, 17 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 16:59
Into the winecellars once more
Mancini gathered his crew in a guild conference room before they departed. "Before we begin, I would like to start out by saying that the guild is in a state of flux. I've been working here for a long time, behind the scenes, in a logistical capacity, and what I've seen... it isn't good. It isn't sustainable. The factions within the guild don't work together nearly well enough, and there's far too much animosity. This not only leaves us weaker to the other powers of the city, but makes things more dangerous for you, the rank and file."

"Our expedition will require discretion on your part. What we learn must be tightly controlled. You may end up having to keep secrets from the other guild faction leaders. This is... politics... and if you don't wish to involve yourselves, you may wish to step away. Are you all willing to proceed?"


ooc: In other words there may be aspects of espionage and inter-guild politics, so if that's not fun for you this is an IC reason to back out.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Sat 25 Mar 2017.

Norman
 player, 1 post
 Guard
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 17:01
Into the winecellars once more
Mancini's bodyguard Norman held the door open for any who chose to depart.
Oly
 player, 873 posts
 Badly disfigured face
 Rank 1 Guild badge
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 17:21
Into the winecellars once more
Assuming Oly is here...   He just shrugs.
Aoife
 player, 231 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 01:06
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Oly (msg # 4):

A small few arrives as the speach concludes.

"I had some kobold friends say there were problems here. They asked me to come along to ensure it was safe for them to return once you are finished. That Ok?"
Mancini
 player, 20 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 01:14
Into the winecellars once more
"You're a member of the guild, Aoife. You are free to accompany us as a full member of the expedition. Though I am curious as to how the kobolds caught wind of what we're planning. When you have a chance, try to find out who's been talking. But save that for after the briefing."
Aoife
 player, 232 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 01:39
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Mancini (msg # 6):

"Oh, I am not sure they knew about your trip. They just knew they could not finish their work, so they asked if I would look into it..."
kobold
 player, 36 posts
 goblinoid drudge
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 04:39
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Aoife (msg # 7):

"I was clearing bowls in the common room when you spoke with Monsieur Du Clair. My brother was working that detail and told me what
happened. Aoife had been ministering to his injuries and I told her."

Mancini
 player, 21 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 05:02
Into the winecellars once more
Mancini nodded to the kobold. "Thank you."
kobold
 player, 37 posts
 goblinoid drudge
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 18:40
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Mancini (msg # 9):

"If you are going in with armed guards, some of us will accompany you."
Aoife
 player, 233 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 19:01
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to kobold (msg # 10):

"What happened exactly last time to make you leave?"
kobold
 player, 38 posts
 goblinoid drudge
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 19:36
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Aoife (msg # 11):

The slightly built bluish goblekin shrugs.
"I was not there myself, but the others say that the ogres came through a gate that leads outside one of the lower levels, one that Master Voorland never had keys to. Voorland is the dwarf that installed
the gates securing the main room."

Aoife
 player, 234 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 19:45
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to kobold (msg # 12):

"And they ordered you to leave, or attacked you?"
kobold
 player, 39 posts
 goblinoid drudge
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 19:51
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Aoife (msg # 13):

"They yelled at my brother and cousins to get out, and threw things
 at them. My brother's arm was damaged when they threw a troll skull at him."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:20, Mon 27 Mar 2017.

Aoife
 player, 235 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 20:13
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to kobold (msg # 14):

"Any idea of who sent them? Did they mention any names or have any symbols?"
Mancini
 player, 22 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Sun 26 Mar 2017
at 22:16
Into the winecellars once more
"Could you perhaps go and get one of the kobolds who was actually present to answer questions for us?" Mancini asked the kobold. "And if any can act as guides to this gate the Ogres entered through, they will be fairly compensated for their time. Just have them wait in the hall until our meeting has concluded, thank you."

He turned to Oly and Aoife. "I'll wait until all of the interested have assembled before continuing the briefing, but rest assured that there will be time to reach out to your contacts and perform any other preparatory work you'd like before we embark."

ooc: Since its the weekend I'd like to wait until Monday for any interested players (Hilerno? Ardenas?) to locate themselves here before filling out the roster with NPCs.
Ardenas Barehand
 player, 730 posts
 Human martial artist with
 a few spells on the side.
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 09:10
Into the winecellars once more
"I'm listening."  He addresses the kobold for a moment.

"Do we know for certain whether the ones who yelled and threw things were full blood ogres, or ogrekin?"
Mancini
 player, 23 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 16:47
Into the winecellars once more
"My sources indicate full ogres, but we'll know more once we speak to a witness." Mancini looked meaningfully at the kobold. "Listen. The lot of you. You have all expressed interest in this venture, but I would not ask you to accept the terms until I've laid them out. And I would not expect you to do any preliminary investigation until you've accepted."

"The purpose of the expedition is simple: Remove these ogres from the winecellars and discover their point of entry. Non-violently if possible - ogres are worth more as allies than corpses. Compensation: Shares of whatever goods or treasure are recovered. If the standard guild pay-rate is not met by these shares, additional coin shall be given to make up the difference, providing a guaranteed minimum income for this expedition. That's all fairly standard."

"Other terms. This is not an independent expedition. You are working on my behalf, as an officer of the guild. Don't worry, I'm no autocrat, and have no taste for micromanagement... you are all experts, and I expect you all to know how best to put your talents to use."


ooc: In other words, I'm not your boss, and won't be ordering you around, so don't worry. Just my way of getting around the Rank difference.

"Impress me, and there will be more work and more pay forthcoming. All I ask is that you do not discuss the matter and what we discover with those who were not present, unless of course asked directly by a guildmaster of higher rank than myself."

"There are a few other matters to discuss once those of us who are committed have some privacy. Things you will need to know. But for now, Oly, Aredenas, Aoife... are the terms agreeable?"


ooc: Diplomacy roll made by 6. Not to tell you guys how to respond, but just to note that the character is more compelling than the player.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:58, Mon 27 Mar 2017.

Oly
 player, 874 posts
 Badly disfigured face
 Rank 1 Guild badge
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 19:08
Into the winecellars once more
Oly Shrugs again  Zure
Aoife
 player, 236 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 23:47
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Oly (msg # 19):

"Well, so far, yes. But if the ogres object, do we find out who is behind them of just force them out by brute force?"
Mancini
 player, 24 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Mon 27 Mar 2017
at 23:54
Into the winecellars once more
"I intend us to investigate the matter thoroughly," Mancini said. "Whether the ogres wandered in on their own, or if there's some other hand guiding their actions. I'll explain further."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:54, Mon 27 Mar 2017.

Ardenas Barehand
 player, 731 posts
 Human martial artist with
 a few spells on the side.
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 08:50
Into the winecellars once more
"I'm in."
Mancini
 player, 25 posts
 Shrewd Guildsman, Rank 3
 Charisma 2, Voice
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 17:57
Into the winecellars once more
Once Norman had escorted the kobold into the hall so that the adventurers were alone in the meeting room, Mancini continued.

"As I mentioned earlier, there are strong divisions growing within the guild. Control of the DuClair's wine cellars as an access into the undercity is a project of Rigo's. DuClair provides us access in exchange for a Madiera contract. We helped him with his troll issues before the treaty with the Eastern Depths treaty was signed. This is, generally, good for the guild."

"The ogre business... most of the city's ogres are from mercenary companies or members of our own guild. The most likely scenario is that these ogres below wandered into the undercity through some undiscovered exit, and then into DuClair's cellar. However, Aoife hit on exactly the possibility we should keep in mind... that these ogres are agents at someone else's behest.

"Rigo is the majority power within the guild, but his control is far from complete. Some want this power for themselves, others may oppose him out of a simple desire that no one man control the power of the guild. Some of the higher ranking members have strong ties to the remnants of the thieves' guild and the various assassin groups, and virtually every other power in Northport has a hand in trying to influence us.

"Olegson, in particular, has cooled towards Rigo with his handling of the orcish matter, and the dwarfs overseeing the kobolds are firmly in his camp. The kobolds themselves have been growing loyal to Zeelzeel Shadowspear on a personal level, but as yet, he is not active in guild politics. Vilgar is another obvious possibility, particularly if these ogres hail from the arena."


Mancini folded his hands. "So. I would advise that we remain open-minded regarding these ogres. Let us hope that they are simple wanderers exploring the undercity rather than a further escalation of guild conflict. All the same, these are dangerous waters we swim in. Be careful whom you speak to. The ogres might even work for Rigo himself, in an effort to wrest control of the warehouse from DuClair outright.

"Any questions before I continue?"

Aoife
 player, 237 posts
 Leprechaun
 Priestess of Cerrunos
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 20:40
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Mancini (msg # 23):

"No questions here..."
Dellas
 player, 3 posts
Tue 28 Mar 2017
at 20:53
Into the winecellars once more
In reply to Mancini (msg # 23):

"okay, so we need to investigate, make friends with ugly ogres and make a profit. Piece of cake. Count me in."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:46, Tue 28 Mar 2017.