3: Graustark or Bust!   Posted by GM StarMaster.Group: 0
Marian Holroy
 player, 9 posts
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 15:43
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Marian listens to the offer with a look of shock which quickly turns to joy. Truly you'll let me come? she gasps with delight. Don't worry, I packed light already. I can get my things and return  shortly, though I should at least say goodbye to my hostess. Should I start now? I can run! she laughs, already eager to tear off quite literally for an adventure. Goodness I hope these people are who they say they are... she thinks suddenly. Good thing she had her pistol hidden in thigh holster just in case.
Denholm Hawkesbury
 player, 156 posts
 "Right. Let's deal."
 "All Sales Final"
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 19:45
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to Marian Holroy (msg # 348):

Though the look on Dash's face is one of surprise, the words that come out of his mouth are...

"Sure. Why not? I'm sure Mercy and Miss Mulberry will enjoy the extra female companionship." Dash says, "As long as you don't find the idea of travelling on a Pirate Blimp to be constitutionally objectionable."

Dash recovers his composure, and gives Marian a wink and a smile, "Not to worry, Cap'n Remi may be a Sky Pirate -- I think -- but he's our Sky Pirate."
Marian Holroy
 player, 10 posts
Sun 5 Apr 2015
at 22:57
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Marian grins broadly at Dash's words. Actually the fact that he's a sky pirate only makes me more determined to go. I can't wait to meet him. And don't worry, I will not be a bother and if you tire of me at any time you may simply say so. Thank you so much for your generosity. Now, if that's all I will be back as quickly as humanly possible. If there is nothing else she will literally run to her room to pack, which doesn't take long. If the princess is available to bid goodbye to she will do so, otherwise she will write her a very thankful note explaining that she must dash away sooner than expected and promise to keep in touch.
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 236 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Mon 6 Apr 2015
at 01:07
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Grimsby says "Well, gentlemen, is there anything more we need to do while Miss Holroy is packing? I should perhaps dash off a note to the British consul to report on recent events and tell him our destination. If our comatose prisoner wakes or Miss Iburra decides to confess --both unlikely, I fear --he can forward the news to the British consulate in Bournbony." Suiting the action to the word, he pulls a notebook from his pocket and begins scribbling hastily.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 221 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 05:06
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Unfortunately, according to Graustark law, Miss Iburra hasn't really done anything illegal... or even wrong. Simply being a member of the Vril Society is not a criminal act, and besides the tattoo, there is no proof that she is a member.

She can easily put all the blame on her dead associate.

However, Graustark still practically exists in the previous century, at least when it suits them, so Miss Iburra will be charged with conspiracy to assassinate the Princess. The Sargent doubts that she can be convicted of that charge, but she will indubitably be declared persona non grata and deported from the country.

The catch is that the investigation could take several months. The wheels of bureaucracy turn very slowly in Graustark (unless liberally greased with money).

Miss Iburra will not be mistreated, but her dungeon room will not have many amenities.

Meanwhile, her Hertzian wave communication device will be studied extensively by the Triad, and probably be dismantled in the process.

You've managed to earn the ambassador quite a few brownie points, though he stays shy of claiming any responsibility for the events. You also have the gratitude of the Princess, which includes a large monetary reward (1,000 pounds!), coal refueling if you need it, and a case of high quality wine. She also makes you all Knights of the Order of the Silver Flame.

Rumors spread throughout the town and surrounding countryside, so by the time you head for the ship, there is quite a procession going with you. Children are throwing flowers in front of you, and many of the young ladies are actively flirting with the men. A few appear to have become groupies of Mercy.

The other ship has departed, quite hastily as the ground crew reports.
Denholm Hawkesbury
 player, 157 posts
 "Right. Let's deal."
 "All Sales Final"
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 05:11
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 352):

"Great Uncle Lash will be so happy when he hears I've earned a Knighthood." Dash says with a smile, "He always had hopes that someone in the family would bring home a Title of somesort..."
Connor Holmes
 player, 86 posts
 Felinoid
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 09:18
Re: Graustark or Bust!

"I daresay I'm the first of my kind to be honored with such a thing," Connor put in from his place a few paces behind Dash, the tiger felinoid feeling a trifle shy at all the attention that the people of Graustark were paying him and his companions as they headed back to the airship, but nonetheless he felt quite proud at having earned the Princess' gratitude,  the big cat smiling a little as he added, "I suppose 'Sir Connor' has a nice ring to it."

By now, Connor had given up trying to hide his nonhuman appearance and was back in his ordinary clothes, having taken the opportunity to change out of his almost piratical robes in favor of workman's denim slacks with black suspenders, a crisp white silk shirt with a brown waistcoat  with brass buttons over that, and last but not least a black "greasetop" hat, the only holdovers from his old getup being the toolbelt he wore around his waist and the walking stick he carried in his right handpaw.
Marian Holroy
 player, 11 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 14:32
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Goodness! It seems I fell into a lucky bunch to travel with! Marian thinks to herself as she readjusts her canvas backpack and grips her old carpet bag. She could afford nicer of course but it had been her mother's and it made her smile knowing she was using the same luggage on her own adventures. She wears a muslin dress suit of midnight blue, a cream lacy blouse, and a small hat pinned to her dusty blonde updo. It is the nicest thing she brought with her and she thought considering the new fame of her traveling companions she should at least look her best. The rest of her few clothes were for more sturdy activities. Well it seems that you have earned your praise and titles she smiles at the two men. Congratulations.Admittedly she feels quite awkward and out of place now. She hadn't expected to be traveling with heroes.
Bellgrove G. B. Wander
 player, 80 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 16:15
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Bellgrove seems rather nonplussed by the honor, but accepts it gracefully. "A good day's work, well done is made more pleasurable by generous reward, eh?"

Otherwise, he interviews the locals on their specialties and if offered the opportunity he will visit the local inn, etc. All of this he will put into an article about Graustak, which he submits to his paper as a travel piece.
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 237 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Sat 11 Apr 2015
at 03:31
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Grimsby receives the honor with formal courtesy, and leaves his report with the ambassador to be telegraphed to the Colonial Office in London. He appears a bit
nonplussed by all the attention, preferring to operate when he can in the shadows, but mutters, "Well, I suppose I can wear the order at the odd diplomatic reception."

Meanwhile, he shows a disposition to depart as soon as courtesy permits.

"If the other ship has already left, I feel we should be on our way as soon as we can," he remarks.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:40, Sat 11 Apr 2015.

GM StarMaster
 GM, 223 posts
Tue 14 Apr 2015
at 23:12
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Everyone makes it to the ship with all their parts mostly intact. Upon reaching the ship, Viktor and Stella inform you that they are staying here in Graustark for a bit. They'll look after the prisoner for awhile and otherwise keep a lookout for any more Vril agents that may be about.

Viktor is also concerned about his homeland, and feels he should return to Ruritania to warn the king.
Mercy Kincaid
 Player, 34 posts
 English/Irish
 Inventor/Adventuress
Wed 15 Apr 2015
at 06:05
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Once they reach the ship, things get a little more confusing as Mercy learns that two of their crew are 'abandoning ship'.

"Marion, this is Stella Mulberry and Victor Stahler. Stella, Victor... this is Marion Holroy," Mercy introduces the newcomer to the departing crew.

"Oh, I'm so sorry to see you go! I understand, truly I do. These are strange times, and we've got caught up in the strangest events of all, I do believe. Of course you are concerned about your home, Viktor. We all are. Yours, though, is just over the next mountain."

"We didn't much of a chance to know each other, Stella, but it's been fun with you around."

"You both know that you are always welcome back into our little group, should our paths cross again someday."


As the two of them walk away, Mercy turns back to Marion, and finishes making introductions.

"Oh, this is the ship's owner and our captain, Remi. It seems as if he was born to fly!"

"Oh, and this is our other inventor, Matthew Renfrew. His forte is chemicals and stuff, while I'm more the mechanical engineer."

"Once we get on board, I'll introduce you to Hugo. He's a mechanical bartender I made. He's ever so useful!"

Marian Holroy
 player, 12 posts
Wed 15 Apr 2015
at 13:36
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Marian greets the couple with enthusiasm and politeness though doesn't put much effort into memorizing their names as they are to leave her life almost as soon as entering it.

Meeting the captain causes more excitement though and given the chance she will shake his hand with gusto as well as Mr. Renfrew's. So very nice to meet you both! she grins. Then she turns to Mercy. You made a bartender!? How perfectly wonderful! I can't wait to meet him! It's so amazing what people are doing with technology these days, I'm so excited to know an actual engineer! My social circle back at home is so dull that I just hole up at home and avoid them as much as possible she shakes her head. And Hugo is the perfect name in my opinion. Heh, perhaps one day they'll be making all kinds of people. I could use a new husband she laughs, though it is clear she is just joking and inwardly she grimaces. Just kidding James. Don't come back and haunt me now she thinks drily.
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 239 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Thu 16 Apr 2015
at 02:22
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 358):

Grimsby entrusted Viktor with a report to the British  in Ruritania outlining what he knew of the Vril and requesting that the British give whatever aid they could to Viktor in foiling the villains.
Remi
 Player, 44 posts
 Fezzani
 Former Pirate/Smuggler
Thu 16 Apr 2015
at 02:56
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"Enchanté de faire votre connaissance, Madamoiselle," Captain Remi replies to Marion, and kisses the back of her hand.

"Welcome aboard The Falcon, Miss Holroy."
Denholm Hawkesbury
 player, 158 posts
 "Right. Let's deal."
 "All Sales Final"
Thu 16 Apr 2015
at 07:12
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to Remi (msg # 362):

"Cap'n Remi," Dash steps up and says, "Again it appears we chase the Black Zeppelin. We believe it to be headed for the Ile d'Bourbony. As you know the skies over Africa better than we do, I ask -- is there any chance we could get there before the zeppelin?"
Marian Holroy
 player, 13 posts
Thu 16 Apr 2015
at 14:41
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Marian blushes and a huge smile crosses her freckled face. Thank you! Very happy to be here she mumbles in delight. What was it about roguish men that made them so bloody appealing? At Dash's mention of a black zeppelin she listens with curiosity. Of course she had no idea what he was talking about but she didn't want to go around endlessly asking for explanation. Instead she keeps quiet and pretends to follow the conversation. Whatever was going on sounded exciting and that was all that mattered.
Remi
 Player, 45 posts
 Fezzani
 Former Pirate/Smuggler
Fri 17 Apr 2015
at 00:43
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"If the Black Zeppelin keeps to its course," Remi replies to Dash, "then no, we cannot get there before it. We are slightly faster but only because we are a much smaller ship. If we can get a tailwind, it might be possible. Again, that's because the tailwind will move us slightly faster than it will the zeppelin."

"If it makes a stop, perhaps in German East Africa, we might also get there ahead of it."

Denholm Hawkesbury
 player, 159 posts
 "Right. Let's deal."
 "All Sales Final"
Fri 17 Apr 2015
at 05:19
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to Remi (msg # 365):

Dash, being from a Trading family, is well aware of what the logistics would be if this were a sea journey, but these blimps and dirigibles are all new to him.

"Ah, well. So, I realize that Bourbony is quite far off -- well of the east coast of Madagascar, isn't it? Just how many resupply stops will we need to make to get there? Do we have the capability to forego any stops, and just head straight there? Or must we needs stop for coal and water? If so, where do you suggest we make our first stop?"
Connor Holmes
 player, 87 posts
 Felinoid
Fri 17 Apr 2015
at 07:21
Re: Graustark or Bust!


"We have to stop for coal, water, and for lifting gas occasionally, not to mention consumables like food," Connor put in, perhaps a bit unexpectedly, after all he was not by trade an aeronaut but nonetheless he knew quite a bit about airships, "This ship has a steam propulsion plant, and as we all know, steam engines have built-in limitations to their range.

If we could spare a little time, and a few odds and ends, with Captain Remi's permission I could rig up the boilers and the engines to stretch the range without compromising performance and minimize supply stops, but that means we'd have to go full steam ahead once the job's done in order to make up the time we'll lose in the conversion process."
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 240 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Sat 18 Apr 2015
at 01:04
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to Remi (msg # 365):

"I might not be welcome in German East" remarked Grimsby "If they've heard of an episode in the Pamirs last year. But if Mr. Holmes can make the improvements he mentions, we might be able to bypass the Vril there and go straight on to Bourbonny ahead of them."
Bellgrove G. B. Wander
 player, 81 posts
Sat 18 Apr 2015
at 16:01
Re: Graustark or Bust!
As a former Aeroship commander Bellgrove feels comfortable stepping into the conversation, "The modifications Conner suggests seem rather valuable to me. Given that they shall have to make stops themselves it seems to me that it would rather even up the score.

"What's more, if we were to suddenly seem to lose interest in pursuing them that would be an advantage we could use later. Indeed, it might even inspire them to slow down somewhat and make it that much easier to catch up with them later."

Remi
 Player, 46 posts
 Fezzani
 Former Pirate/Smuggler
Sun 19 Apr 2015
at 03:21
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"You can look over the engines, Mr. Holmes," Remi responds to Connor, "but we can't spare the time to make the adjustments just now. I think you'll find that Mercy has already modified them sufficiently."

"I've yet to put The Falcon to the test, but we've now got an estimated range of about 2,000 miles. If German East Africa isn't to your liking, Grimsby, perhaps we can restock in Eritrea. Since the Italians withdrew in '87, the United Kingdom have been an ally."

Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 241 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Mon 20 Apr 2015
at 03:09
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Gruimsbvy responded, "Yes. Eritrea should be safe enough, if you feel you need a stop."
Connor Holmes
 player, 88 posts
 Felinoid
Mon 20 Apr 2015
at 03:47
Re: Graustark or Bust!


"Fair enough, but if you ever fancy going over 9,000 miles on a single bunker of coal, you'll know where to find me, Captain," Connor replied to Remi with a bit of shrug, then quietly made his way towards the waiting airship to go rustle up a cup of tea.