3: Graustark or Bust!   Posted by GM StarMaster.Group: 0
GM StarMaster
 GM, 130 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 09:08
Graustark or Bust!
By Remi's announced departure time, everyone had gathered out in the field where the airships were moored.

"No, I've never been to Graustark," Samuel Clemens was discussing with Lord Kentigern and his son Latimer. "As much as I'd like to visit the country, I'm afraid this adventure is for a younger group."

"How about you, Nikola? That's your part of the world, isn't it?"

"I shall not go either," the scientist replied. "There is nothing there for me any more."


Link to a picture of Remi's ship Falcon: link to a message in this game
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 81 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 05:17
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 1):

Grimsby arrived promptly carrying his small traveling bag --long experience had left him ready to go almost anywhere at a moment's notice. Hearing that the older
gentlemen will not be going, he commented, "Well, I can understand the decisions you have made, but I regret it; quite apart from your individual talents, I am sure that your high reputations would have made us more welcome in Graustark.  Still, if we wish to proceed quietly without attracting undue notice, it may be that traveling without such distinguished companions will be for the best."
Denholm Hawkesbury
 player, 54 posts
 "Right. Let's deal."
 "All Sales Final"
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 05:46
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Dash arrived carrying a small trunk slung over one shoulder. Hearing the decisions of Clemens and Tesla, he sets down the trunk and walked over to the two, offering his hand.

"Mister Clemens, it has been a pure pleasure making your acquaintance, sir. The next time you find yourself on Nantucket, please stop by Hawkesbury House.  You will always find yourself a most welcome guest there."

"Mister Tesla, it has been the achievement of one of my dearest desires to meet you, sir. I only wish we had been able to talk more. I haven't been able to spend near as much time as I would like discussing technical developments with anyone, since I graduated from the Massachusettes Institute of Technology. If you ever have need of investors, sir, please call upon the Hawkesburys.  I'm sure I can convince my uncle to invest in anything you are involved with, sir."

Matthew Renfrew
 player, 32 posts
 mentally unbalanced
 scientist
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 08:21
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Matthew comes wandering up bumping a rather large case on one leg and holding the sample of Cavorite in his free hand. Still focused on the mysteries of the element in hand, he nearly bumps into the departing gentlemen. Looking up, he says, " Not going with? No?" he pockets the rock and waves goodbye, " Farewell then. Thank you so much for the use of your lightning gun Mister Tesla. It made our argument quite convincing against the squatters." he makes no mention of returning it, quickly moving to board before such questions are asked.
Stella Mulberry
 player, 5 posts
 English
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 04:25
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Stella arrives at the airship, superintending the efforts of a pair of footmen to shift her small trunk, a leather rucksack slung from her shoulder. After watching the trunk winched aloft, she climbs the rope ladder to the deck.

From that vantage, she observes her various 'shipmates' as they board the vessel.
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 83 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 02:16
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Grimsby Baskerville watched Stella's arrival with a certain sardonic interest and remarked, "I hope you are prepared to make do with just your rucksack if we find we have to do much traveling in Graustark beyond Edelweiss --that's the capital. The rest is mostly mountains and forests, I gather."
Stella Mulberry
 player, 6 posts
 English
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 03:42
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"Oh, indeed, Mr Grimsby," Stella rejoins with a quiet smile, "I do enjoy a good ramble. I find it most beneficial to the pulmonary and cardiac constitution."
Sam Wroth
 player, 5 posts
 English
 Industrialist
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 06:14
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In between leaving the gathering and arriving at the airship Sam has collected his bowler hat, black umbrella and a well made, compact travel case.

"A pretty little ship, doubt it can carry much frieght but should serve as a passenger transport for a small group such as this."
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 84 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 03:27
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In reply to Stella Mulberry (msg # 7):

Grimsby Baskerville replied politely, "I am very glad to hear that you are accustomed to walking.  We may end up doing quite a lot of it, if we leave our
airship."

Viktor Stahler
 player, 29 posts
 Former Cavalry Officer
 Agile and Charismatic
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 04:54
Re: Graustark or Bust!
The cavalry officer was still feeling out of sorts. He hadn't been on a horse for almost a week now. He was traveling light, too, though it was more by necessity. He'd brought his saddle, but hadn't had a chance to use it, so now he lugged it to the ship. To be honest, he didn't expect to return here to Scotland any time soon, so it seemed rather absurd to have to so just to fetch his saddle.

He came up on the tail end of a conversation.

"As I understand it," Viktor chimed in, "if the ship was on the waves, it'd be classified as a 'fast packet' ship. It's primarily intended to carry mail and dispatches. At least, that's what the French in Africa were using it for. So, no, not a lot of room for cargo."

He climbed aboard. He was almost used to the rope ladder now. He'd been the ship's crew on the flight up. It wasn't that Mercy and Stella wouldn't have done so, but he'd felt it was unseemly for the womenfolk to do that. As it turned out, Mercy had probably done just as much as he had, perhaps even more. She'd tinkered with the engines, improving their efficiency and even getting better torque out of them. Whatever that meant.
Mercy Kincaid
 Player, 14 posts
 English/Irish
 Inventor/Adventuress
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 22:15
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Mercy gathered her things, which was not much and headed to the ship followed by Hugo.  Her mind was still on the little contraption she had been working on earlier. She was not really paying attention to the conversations going on around her.  She stopped to say see you later to Samuel and Nikola.  For her this was not farewell or good bye, as she would see them again.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 131 posts
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 23:50
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"Are you taking Hugo with you, Miss Kincaid?" Nikola Tesla asked her. Even though he wasn't going, he'd come out to see everyone off. "Mr. Remi was not too fond of the mechanical man. I do not think he wants it aboard, but I'm sure he will let you if you insist."

"If you do leave it behind, I will see that it is returned to the Gas Lamp Club in London."

"It has been a pleasure and an honor working with you... Mercy. I do not known when our paths will cross again, but... I will be heading back to the States soon, to a place called Colorado. Should you ever find your way there, you will be most welcome."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 02:46, Thu 27 Feb 2014.

Mercy Kincaid
 Player, 15 posts
 English/Irish
 Inventor/Adventuress
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 02:36
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Mercy pondered a moment, "I know, but he could come in handy." She really did not like the thought of leaving Hugo behind. "I'm sure we will cross paths again some day. If I'm that way I will be sure to look you up."
Sam Wroth
 player, 6 posts
 English
 Industrialist
Sat 1 Mar 2014
at 06:11
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Sam climb aboard the airship using the rope ladder, with a degree of compentance.

"I'm sure you are right, Viktor, I meant no disregard for this fine vessel. I'm just used to vessels of a larger stature. My company operates airships for commerical purposes, both passenger and frieght, but for both tasks size is money."

Having never really met Mr Tesla, Sam didn't feel the need to introduce him self with a farewell. Besides he had read somewhere that Edison was the real man of the electrical sciences, some periodical had mentioned it maybe the Times.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 132 posts
Mon 3 Mar 2014
at 22:27
Re: Graustark or Bust!
With everyone finally aboard, Remi hauls in the anchor and casts off the ropes. The airship slowly and gracefully soars upward. A moment later the engines kick in, the airscrews begin to spin and the ship picks up speed and elevation.

Within minutes, the ship is soaring over Scotland. The lights of Edinburgh are already in view.
Remi
 player, 35 posts
 Fezzani
 Former Pirate/Smuggler
Mon 3 Mar 2014
at 22:57
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"We're fighting the North Atlantic air current right now," Remi tells everyone from his position behind the wheel. "It's a northerly wind, and we're trying to go south. We'll have to get above it, pick up the higher airstream. That'll increase our speed, maybe allow us to catch the black ship... unless it does the same."

"The catch is... it'll start getting cold. Not as low as freezing... we can't quite go that high. So you should bundle up. Or if you want to get some sleep, the cabins have some heat from the engines and lots of blankets."

"I could use some assistance on the crew, if any of you are amenable. Viktor and I can probably handle it for the 30 hours it'll take us to reach Graustark, but we'd both be pushing it. Only have helm and sails to maintain trim."

Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 85 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Tue 4 Mar 2014
at 04:04
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Grimsby says "I can take a bit of cold --it gets quite harsh in the Himalayas -- so I don't mind staying out if needed.  But as I have no particular skills on airships, I may not be useful. If you don't need my aid, I'll seek a blanket in the cabin."
Denholm Hawkesbury
 player, 55 posts
 "Right. Let's deal."
 "All Sales Final"
Tue 4 Mar 2014
at 04:23
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"I've a familiarity with sailing vessels, and I've some little experience at ship handling and navigation -- but that's all in water.  I've no experience helming a ship in the air.  But I'm willing to give it the old school try." Dash added.
Remi
 player, 36 posts
 Fezzani
 Former Pirate/Smuggler
Tue 4 Mar 2014
at 04:56
Re: Graustark or Bust!
"Good man, Dash," Remi replies to the American. "Helm's the same... it controls the rudder. It's easier to over-correct in an airship, and you tend to get a more immediate result. Sails are the same... the only difference is... it's a lot longer way down. Always use a safety line."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 20:58, Sun 09 Mar 2014.

GM StarMaster
 GM, 133 posts
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 21:05
Re: Graustark or Bust!
There weren't any mountains on the first leg of the journey, so it was a routine four-hour shift.

The trip was going to take around 25 hours, perhaps a little less, perhaps a little more depending on the winds. Remi let Dash take the first shift with Viktor, choosing to get some rest before the next shift when they'd be flying over France. They weren't likely to catch up to the other ship before then anyway.
Stella Mulberry
 player, 7 posts
 English
Sun 9 Mar 2014
at 22:53
Re: Graustark or Bust!
In her tiny cabin, wearing her warmest clothes and snuggled into two blankets, Stella whiles away her time between dozes with her feet up on her trunk, reading and making notes. Occasionally, she seeks out the galley for a cup of something warm, nodding pleasantly to anyone she encounters.
Grimsby Baskerville
 player, 86 posts
 A Colonial agent
 and wandering scholar
Mon 10 Mar 2014
at 03:21
Re: Graustark or Bust!
Since there seemed to be not particular need for him in sailing the airship, Grimsby alternated resting as warmly as possible in his cabin and keeping watch outside for any possible suspicious aircraft, varying the monotony with occasional target practice at passing birds. Seeing Stella passing, he would nod politely.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Thu 13 Mar 2014.