In the Land of Zu.   Posted by GM StarMaster.Group: 0
GM StarMaster
 GM, 172 posts
Fri 5 Jun 2015
at 20:53
In the Land of Zu
It can't hurt to sit there at sea for a bit and just observe. There are two island towns close enough that the inhabitants could row out to the ship, but the main city is still a bit far away for that.

It's also hard to tell from this distance, but it does not look like the Land of Zu has any idea what technology is. The pall of industry that hangs over most towns and cities doesn't seem to be here.

The ships that you can see near the mainland all appear to be single-masted junk-rigged coasters, or single-masted lateen-rigged fishing boats. None of them are particularly seaworthy.
Katrin Eason
 player, 31 posts
 Caspian/Cygnar
 Hedge Wizard/Rogue
Fri 5 Jun 2015
at 21:00
Re: In the Land of Zu
"The captain has done his job and duty by delivering us here," Katrin said. "Now it's our turn."

"He as much as said that the strategy is up to us now. My thought is that we should make contact with one of these outlying island towns first. One of two things should be in effect: they are either independent or isolationist. The former seems the more likely, which means they will be more accepting of outsiders."

"Even if the other ship didn't stop there, they will have heard tales of it by now. And we can a sense of the culture, perhaps pick up a bit of the language, and find out what we might trade."

"However, if they don't have guns and gunpowder, we should keep that a secret unless we have to defend ourselves. I'm sure you imagine what home would be without all that smog-belching industry."

Tealon Holdron
 player, 1 post
 Arcane Mechanik
Mon 8 Jun 2015
at 17:56
Re: In the Land of Zu
Being unable to cope anymore with the nausea, Tealon started coughing and retching. Knowing that nobody could see him, the Arcane Mechanik attacked the stairs on neck with his fist to break the invisibility spell. The thought in his head "I hope Bosh and Rogrr don't see me, I have a reputation to uphold".

Seeing the crew looking around and noticing the Captain, the tall Thurian held his dark waving hair out of his face, nodded to the captain and ran to the rail to help his stomach feel better.

Wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his greatcoat, eyeing those around him with steely eyes that shielded "don't you dare laugh", he walked confidently to the gathering of the Iron Fists.

"Greetings, I'm Tealon Holden, those who know me call me 'Blaster'" {stroking the grenades on his Bandolier as if to emphasise}

"I stayed as I were in case of additional attacks so as to hide our numbers for tactical advantage". "Bosh, Roger, good to see you again, how's the arm and servitors going with all this salt water around" hoping Roger remembers him from the start of training and Bosh from his test mission and the airship. On thinking of the airship, Tealon stated "excuse me" and ran to the side rail again.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:11, Thu 18 June 2015.

Danyka Ydrasyl
 player, 129 posts
 Rynnish/Llaelese Human
 Gun Mage/Morrow Initiate
Tue 9 Jun 2015
at 07:38
Re: In the Land of Zu
Dany listened to Katrin and what the young pistoleer had to say.  She nodded slowly, "Making contact on the outer islands makes sense.  It will likely not tell us everything we need to know, but it is likely to be a reasonable and reasonably controllable place to start."

The Rynnish brunette pursed her lips when the topic of hiding their guns came up.  But, since the suggestion had come from another who relied heavily on firearms as their weapon of choice, Danyka knew that the matter was to be taken seriously.  After a thoughtful pause and a slightly plaintive sigh, the Llaelese gun mage was forced to agree.  "We should likely keep out firearms and other mechanikal artifacts in reserve." she agreed, looking to all of the mechanics, bodger and warcasters amongst her companions as well as the other gun mages, "There is little to be gained by tipping our hand too early..."

When Tealon appeared - quite literally - Dany looked slightly askance at the mechanik; she was more than slightly surprised that he hadn't gotten his sea legs already for it had been a couple of days since the arrival (and subsequent departure) of the airship.  Still, it mattered very little at this point.  Likely in a matter of hours, the Iron Fist would be back on dry land (and hot land, if the temperature held) doing reconnaissance.

She didn't really concern herself with the Thurian, especially as he seemed to have a prior history with Rrger and Bosh.  So, Danyka figured that those two would take the lead on making sure that Tealon was prepped and ready.

Dany looked to others gathered on the deck.  "Is there anything else?" the tall, raven-haired gun mage prompted her companions, "If not, there are plenty of preparations to be made before landfall.  Let's get to it..."  She clapped her hands together and rubbed them eagerly.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 2 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Tue 9 Jun 2015
at 09:24
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Danyka Ydrasyl (msg # 4):

Once he had gained his composure and rinsed his mouth, the clean shaven Thurian turned and muttered "If only the boat had been rocking more, I'd got used to that".

"I know I have only just appeared, literally, but if I may" he piped up "Find a bag or chest that you can fit your non-magical items into and I can make sure you have them to hand later when needed.  If we intend to make landfall today, the sooner they can be collected the better".  He the nonchalantly called to the captain: "Captain, I believe you may be in need of some coal, where would you like it putting?".  He then paused for thought and realised that nobody would realise that he had it on his person "ah well, they will find out soon enough" he thought to himself.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:05, Thu 11 June 2015.

Capt Milo Grant
 Captain, 4 posts
 Sailor
 Marine
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 05:03
Re: In the Land of Zu
"That's a tough call," the captain replies to Tealon once the situation with the patches is explained to him. "We don't really need it right now. We've decided to stick with sails for the time being. On the other hand, if something happens to you, we lose that coal."

"I think I'd rather hold off on right now... keep it in reserve. We'll see what we can acquire here in Zu."

"Thanks for the offer. Nice piece of thinking there, Tealon. I have to say, it may not sound like much, but I think that just increased the chances of this mission being a success."

Rrger
 player, 146 posts
 Cygnaran Trollkin
 Bodyguard/Arcane Mechanik
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 05:11
Re: In the Land of Zu
After Tealon walked away from his meeting with the captain, Rrger approached.

"Say, Tealon, we've got a bit of time before we make landfall," Rrger says to the newbie on board, "I was thinking maybe we could go over a few things... like what to take with us, what we can conceal, what the natives can find that wouldn't make that big of a difference, and what we can keep in preparation on board and anything maybe we should trap so that the mech doesn't fall into their hands."

"We're not enemies with these people yet, but neither are we allies."

"Whatcha think?"

Tealon Holdron
 player, 3 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 10:24
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Capt Milo Grant (msg # 6):

In response to the Captain "I understand Captain, If I was able to just leave a patch for you to activate, I would but alas, as soon as I remove them, they become the item.  I was going to keep at least one of the three for Rrger if possible."

In reply to Rrger (msg # 7)
With his composure returned, the cheery smile reappears on Tealon's face, he doffs his hat in greating to Rrger. "Nice idea Rrger, nice to see you well, how are you toys?" Realising this may cause offence "I mean your Jacks!"

Opening his greatcoat to show his waistcoat "I have this waistcoat, you can't see them but it has patches on" pointing to what looks like random places "this one is my x-bow, my wagon and forge, coal, large tent, a very long coil of rope and a few other things." Closing his greatcoat again "Thats why I mentioned the pile of equipment, I can make a new patch but it can not be an item that is magical or living. I can only make one a day thought so thought needs to be made on usefulness, like the large tent!.

Thinking for a short time. "You know what Rrger, as much as I love the idea of just walking through town showing our creations off, like you say, concealable things.  I can not see a problem walking through the populated places with staves and swords though.  Perhaps keep some things under our hats so to speak" as he removed his hat and turned it so Rrger could see the concealed folding knife secreted there.
Marco Fiero
 player, 45 posts
 Knife Artist
 Ex-convict
Thu 18 Jun 2015
at 17:27
Re: In the Land of Zu
It wasn't that Marco didn't have his own thoughts on the matter, but he knew everyone talking at once would wind up being counterproductive. When he finally spoke up, it was more to show his agreement rather than any additional thoughts on the subject.

"It'd be nearly pointless trying to blend in with these people," Marco added. "We'd stand out like a sore thumb."

"We don't want to appear threatening, either, but a sword or staff would merely be prudent defense. Even if these people are relatively friendly, I can't imagine that there is no crime here."

"We need to know if the ship actually stopped here, like we did, and whether that was arriving or leaving. After that, gossip and rumors would probably be informative if not necessarily helpful."

Tealon Holdron
 player, 4 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Thu 18 Jun 2015
at 18:09
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Marco Fiero (msg # 9):

"I noticed you had found some red powder, do you have the black too?  I could be mixing some stock up for you if we have time.  You don't want to be using that on it's own, well," he rubs his hands together "not without proper preparation anyway".

"Nice to meet you all, I'm Tealon" he says again to the others behind Rrger after the last person spoke up. "Any friend of Rrger's is a friend of mine.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:11, Thu 18 June 2015.

Tealon Holdron
 player, 5 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Mon 22 Jun 2015
at 16:13
Re: In the Land of Zu
What what I've heard, Danyka is in charge of this outfit. Danyka, I hope I can fill a role you need, otherwise, just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do."  He smiles and then gets to helping anyone who needs it, waiting for the next step.  "I think Marco has a point"
GM StarMaster
 GM, 173 posts
Mon 22 Jun 2015
at 19:10
Re: In the Land of Zu
The captain was waiting for the group to decide where to go, and when it finally decided that they'd head for one of these small outlying island communities, he raised the anchor and set sail for the nearest one.

It seems, too, that once again Danyka has been thrust into the role of leader, probably because she's the most outspoken. If anything, though, it showed one of the shortcomings of their training--no one had been given any sort of rank to show that they were 'in charge'. Apparently, Captain Flagg had thought it best for the group to determine their own leader. More often than not, it had been between Nicollo and Danyka anyway.


The ship eased across the water at quarter sail to the community they'd spotted. This served a two-fold purpose: it not only gave the people on the island a chance to prepare and respond both mentally and physically, but it let the crew keep an out for hidden shoals or even an unexpected attack from underwater.

Fortunately, there were no shoals, nor was there any attack. There were a number of rocky pillars that jutted up out of the sea. There were a lot more going south along the mainland, though.

Reaching the island, there were two floating piers that extended out from the rocky shore. That was a bit of good news; it meant the water was deep enough to accommodate the ship.

As the captain and his small crew adroitly maneuver the ship up to the pier, the rest of the crew, smartly staying out of the way, can see that there's a small reception committee waiting for them. Two men and one woman stand in the middle of the pier, dressed in loosely draped white tunics that have some ribbon and embroidery for decoration. No weapons are visible, but you can also see that there are some armed guards not far away, attempting to keep out of sight around corners and in doorways. You can count 6 of them, though there are possibly more that you can't see.

There are also a couple dozen people on the shore that are watching the ship. They don't appear to be a crowd, just people going about their business that happened to be on the shore and have stopped to watch.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 6 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Mon 22 Jun 2015
at 21:47
Re: In the Land of Zu
Do you guys see what I see? A welcoming committee and a not so welcoming committee!
Look around for any type of industry (knowledge: Tactics) to see if can find a common ground and see how organised/prepared the 'unwelcoming' committee actually are.


OOC:
22:44, Today: Tealon Holdron rolled 16 using 1d20. Knowledge:Tactics (+10) Total = 26

To GM: is it the same day as Tealon introduced himself or the next day?
GM StarMaster
 GM, 174 posts
Mon 22 Jun 2015
at 22:51
Re: In the Land of Zu
It is the same day that as Tealon introduced himself, just several hours later.

Based on the tactics that Tealon sees displayed, he's guessing that the 'guards' are probably just the city watch. They aren't skilled enough nor trained enough to hide well, and a military presence would want you to know they are there.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 7 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Tue 23 Jun 2015
at 00:23
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 14):
OOC: Thank you GM

Tealon studies the crowd a while.  "The don't seem to be a threat, as expected, they are a little wary.  I'm sure one of you lot are better skilled at this diplomacy stuff than I am although if it goes a bit squiffy, I could always try my 'sales' technique, hopefully it won't come to that though!"

Tealon things to himself "maybe if I take these grenades off my bandoleer before they see them...Yes...uuummmm!!
Danyka Ydrasyl
 player, 130 posts
 Rynnish/Llaelese Human
 Gun Mage/Morrow Initiate
Tue 23 Jun 2015
at 05:50
Re: In the Land of Zu
"Well met, Mr. Tealon." Danyka noted rather distantly to the newcomer.  The fact that he'd not announced himself early seemed to be affecting her mood.  Either that or now that Zu was a fact and imminent, the Llaelese gun mage was focusing on the job at hand.  Since Tealon had glommed onto Rrger, the tall Rynnish brunette glance in the direction of the more familiar trollkin mechanik; her raised eyebrow was a query as to the newcomer's trustworthiness as well as his skill.

The man seemed helpful and useful enough, and pretty well-equipped.  All of which was a good thing, if he could be relied on.  Presumably, only time would tell.

She nodded in agreement to Marco's assessment.  "Are you volunteering as diplomatic envoy, Mr. Fiero?" Danyka prompted the knife-wielding rogue with a slightly crooked smile.  It was one thing to talk about such objectives and quite another to accomplish them.  She gave the assembled Iron Fisters an appraising look.  "Best behavior.  No travelling alone." she noted with deadpan seriousness; it seemed that she wasn't taking any chances with respect to the natives.

And she apparently wasn't joking about the envoy, as her expression and tone became quite serious, "Marco, you and Rrger are with me in the landing party."  Reliable observational skills as well as technical expertise would be valuable to her.  The thin Rynnish noblewoman brushed back a lock of hair, tucking it under her tricorne hat.  Then after a thoughtful pause, she added, "And you as well, Tealon."  Best to keep his obvious, youthful enthusiasm within sight, presumably - even if he was a bit of a wild card.

As they steamed ahead and made their approach, Dany had been meticulous and careful to stow all of her firearms and ammunition that she'd been carrying in her haversack before making landfall - they'd be accessible, simply not visible for the time being.  And much as it pained her, she'd leave Argus on board for the time being.  The large, black destrier had been getting antsy on the long journey, but nothing could be done about it yet - he just couldn't come out yet.

She nodded to Tealon's remark about the armed guards.  For herself, Danyka kept an eye out for items of significance, whether they were technological, religious or otherwise repeated or seemingly symbolic.  To her, more information was good - as it could give them an advantage in negotiating.  Or perhaps simply keep them alive...
Tealon Holdron
 player, 8 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Tue 23 Jun 2015
at 11:46
Re: In the Land of Zu
Tealon nodded at Danyka's comment and unavailed himself of his obvious weaponry, removing the bandoleers, moving the metal sticks to his belt.  Unfolding and setting his crossbow, box attached but leaving it hanging at his side ready to be armed.

"I'm ready when you are" he said, straightening his bowler hat again then resting on his walking stick nonchalantly, still looking out at the waiting crowd.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:47, Tue 23 June 2015.

GM StarMaster
 GM, 175 posts
Tue 23 Jun 2015
at 20:14
Re: In the Land of Zu
As you prepare to disembark, you notice that the three people apparently there to greet you are wearing shoulder sashes; they are the only people wearing such. The leader has a purple sash, the woman is wearing a red sash, and the other man is wearing a blue sash.

You also notice now that not everyone is wearing the toga-style outfits. Others are wearing a off-white muslin blouse and culottes with bracers. Admittedly, most of them wearing this outfit are children, a few of which also wear hempen belts. The adults wearing culottes have beadwork belts, and some of their blouses appear to be colorful pastel silk.

A few people wear head coverings of some sort of cowl with an extension down the back held in place with a headband. Oddly, these people seem to have darker skin than the rest of the populace.

Once the newness of the ship's arrival wears off, the children that you can see go back to playing. Among their entertainments, you see stick ball, tag, hide and seek, and two strange ones: spinning some sort of hoop around their waist and dropping a cylinder with a string tied around the middle and somehow making it go back up to their hand.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 9 posts
 Arcane Mechanik
Wed 24 Jun 2015
at 09:38
Re: In the Land of Zu
Katrin Eason:
"The captain has done his job and duty by delivering us here," Katrin said. "Now it's our turn."

"He as much as said that the strategy is up to us now. My thought is that we should make contact with one of these outlying island towns first. One of two things should be in effect: they are either independent or isolationist. The former seems the more likely, which means they will be more accepting of outsiders."

"Looks like Katrin may well be right if these three are the leaders of the island"


Tealon casts Mage Armour on himself, you never know if its safe or not when guards are trying to remain hidden, then double checks his crossbow is locked ready.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:43, Wed 24 June 2015.

Ioelenna Winterspire
 player, 14 posts
 Nyssa Winter Warwytch
 Adept/Warmage
Wed 24 Jun 2015
at 14:06
Re: In the Land of Zu
In reply to Tealon Holdron (msg # 19):

Ioelenna walks down the street with a hand casually resting on her sword hilt.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 176 posts
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 06:56
Re: In the Land of Zu
As you walk down the dock and approach the greeting committee, they hold out their hands, palms facing you, fingers spread.

The leader speaks.

"May the sun always be in your sky, Strangers from the Land Beyond the Sea! I am Nerok the High, Zendar of Rish. This is Vela the Wise, Keeper of the Law. This is Atuk the Grim, Advisor of Custom."

"I do not wish to pry, but we are curious as to why you have stopped here at Rish? We are a fishing community. We have no goods to trade."



Strangely, you understand what he is saying, but it quickly becomes obvious that the words you are hearing are not the sounds that the man's mouth seems to be making.
Tealon Holdron
 player, 10 posts
 "Blaster"
 Arcane Mechanik
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 12:31
Re: In the Land of Zu
Tealon watches and waits trying to figure out what derivative of a comprehend languages spell this could be and how he could get his hands on it.

13:29, Today: Tealon Holdron rolled 28 using 1d20+12. Spellcraft.
Danyka Ydrasyl
 player, 131 posts
 Rynnish/Llaelese Human
 Gun Mage/Morrow Initiate
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 07:52
Re: In the Land of Zu
Danyka slowed and then stopped as they were hailed by the greeting committee.  She stood for a moment, gauging their gesture and then bowed slightly, assuming - or perhaps hoping - that the open palm was a greeting and not a warning.  "Well met, Nerok the High." the Rynnish brunette intoned rather formally to one who had spoken.  She inclined her head towards the other two, repeating their names.

Then she introduced herself, "I am Danyka."  She pointed in turn to Rrger, Marco and Tealon offering their names as well.

"Nerok the High, Zendar of Rish.  You are right, we are strangers in Rish.  But we hope that you can help us." Dany noted simply, wondering by what mechanism her words were being translated, "We need information.  We come seeking others of our kind, others who came from the Land Beyond the Sea.  We are trying to follow and must find them.  Did they pass through Rish?"

She held back any offer to trade for the information initially, but Danyka was more than willing to make such an offer.  If the chance presented itself.  She wasn't above attempting to barter for what they needed.  Still, the Llaelese gun mage kept things formal - one of the greeting party was the Advisor of Custom and the other Keeper of the Law.  She'd hate to commit any major faux pas right off the bat...