X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
StarMaster
 GM, 804 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Tue 5 Sep 2017
at 21:16
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Hilda and Rajip escort some Jaffa down to the engineering deck, and quickly discover that the door has been forced open, probably with the use of staff weapons. It is otherwise empty. There are no signs of the orak'tar or the Dragon Lord.

Some of the panels have been removed, but when it was discovered that the control crystals have all been removed, nobody bothered putting the panels back in place.
Hilda
 SG-X1, 666 posts
 Cimmerian Scout/Soldier
 MisSpec, SSgt (honorary)
Wed 6 Sep 2017
at 07:39
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
After quickly surveying the engineering deck, making sure there were no Jaffa in hiding, Hilda returned to the Stargate and the rest of the team. She bowed to Vasandra, reporting 'Great Angrboğa, the lower levels are clear, the enemy abandoned the engineering deck. If you wish, we shall now advance and seize the pel'tak.'

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 08:41, Mon 25 Sept.

Gavan
 SG-X1, 149 posts
 Tollani
 Scientist
Thu 7 Sep 2017
at 20:14
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
He could have figured it out eventually, by trial and error, replacing each of the crystals in their proper place in the DHD. Fortunately, Freyda knew exactly where each one went, although Gavan wasn't sure if he just knew it or remembered where each one went from when they removed them. In any case, they'd kept the crystals from the DHD separate from the engineering crystals just so they wouldn't get them confused, even if many of them were otherwise identical.

Freyda told Gavan where to put the crystal, and Gavan complied. Three of the crystals were the power storage units that automatically got recharged every time the stargate was activated. This is what enabled the stargate to rotate to the proper symbol align ments.

Gavan was intrigued by the placement of the crystals, since this triangular DHD was a lot different than the circular ones back in the main part of the galaxy. Still, the core was apparently the same.

"The chappa'ai has been repaired, O Mighty Angrboda," he informed Kaspar by way of Vasandra.
Vasandra Tourmaline
 SG-X1, 187 posts
 Netjerian
 Wheelman/Pilot
Sun 24 Sep 2017
at 19:01
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Once more, she was in an awkward position, having to judge what her team leader, Kaspar, wanted to do... wanted her to do... all without any communication that might tip their hand to the new Jaffa recruits.

To be honest, she wasn't sure that anything they said would matter to the Jaffa. They were like a ship without a rudder. There had been no indication that there was anything like the Free Jaffa out here. They didn't seem to be capable of much thinking on their own, no doubt due to years of enforced obedience.

"The Slime God was able to survive on the enclosed ha'tak without any problem," she announced, "so there is no reason to think that the Dragonlord and his orak'tar cannot do the same."

She had not been aware of it, but there appeared to be some sort of osmotic function of the hull that allowed air in when needed or necessary, yet kept out the vacuum of space, and it did so without power.

And then there was the sarcophagus. It must have some sort of internal power, rather than crystals, that could not be tapped to run the ship, or else the Dragonlord would have used them already. Unless he did not know about them. The Goa'uld could be clever and cunning, though, so no reason to assume this Dragonlord wouldn't have thought of that.

No matter how she looked at it, the Dragonlord and his orak'tar had to be eliminated... one way or the other.

"Hilda, Rajip... take the Jaffa and secure the pel'tak. Either the Dragonlord must surrender to me, or else he must be destroyed!"

Her people knew all too well the heel of the Goa'uld overlords. Force is all they knew.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:18, Mon 25 Sept.

Kaspar Radoslaw Gorski
 SG-X1, 451 posts
 Professor of Anthropology
 Major, Polish Land Forces
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 02:00
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
In reply to Vasandra Tourmaline (msg # 16):

Off to the side, as Vasandra was issuing her orders, Kaspar was nodding slightly in approval - and hoping that Vasandra was seeing it!

Also, as Kaspar stood near the odd triangular DHD with Freda and Gavin, he had his hands resting on the P90 suspended from his combat vest, and was making slow, surreptitious circles with his right index finger - with himself, Gavin, Freda and Vasandra, herself, in the circle - then pointing at the floor in front of the DHD, before repeating.

The old man raised his eyebrows slightly, and gave Vasandra a significant look.
Hilda
 SG-X1, 668 posts
 Cimmerian Scout/Soldier
 MisSpec, SSgt (honorary)
Mon 25 Sep 2017
at 08:50
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Hilda had hoped her counsel and requests for orders had been leading enough for Vasandra Angrboğa to get the idea what she wished to do. Since what she wished was invariably battle, perhaps that just went without saying. 'I obey!' she saluted, then turned to her Jaffa. 'Jaffa! We go to confront the Dragon Lord, in the name of Lady Angrboğa! Form up and march to the pel'tak. Kree!'
StarMaster
 GM, 812 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Sat 30 Sep 2017
at 19:04
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
The Jaffa line up and begin marching up the ramps to the top of the ship. As they reach the topmost ramp, ma'tok fire comes down at them. The first round of fire does not hit any of them, but almost as one, they charge up the ramp the rest of the way, firing their weapons as they go.

Three of them fall before reaching the top, where the orak'tar are gathered around the opening for the ramp.
Kaspar Radoslaw Gorski
 SG-X1, 452 posts
 Professor of Anthropology
 Major, Polish Land Forces
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 03:54
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 19):

As Hilda leads the Jaffa off to combat, Kaspar just stands by the DHD - but once the last Jaffa has left the cargo bay, he jogs over to the bay door and watches the Jaffa force head towards the central transit shaft. Once all the Jaffa have started up the ramps, Kaspar turns back towards the gate.

"Right! Gavin! Freyda! Dial up the SGC!" Kaspar calls out, reaching up to unlimber the microphone of his radio from his vest, as he walks back towards the DHD.



OOC: Anything prevent dialing up the SGC?
StarMaster
 GM, 814 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Sun 1 Oct 2017
at 14:31
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Gavan has no trouble dialing up the SGC. The gate rotates through its sequence, and then the wormhole forms.
Kaspar Radoslaw Gorski
 SG-X1, 453 posts
 Professor of Anthropology
 Major, Polish Land Forces
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 00:41
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 21):

As soon as the wormhole stabilizes, Kaspar keys his mic and starts talking in a rush,

"Gwiazda Brama Komenda, Gwiazda Brama Komenda, to jest SG-X1. Słyszysz mnie, Gwiazda Brama Komenda? Over." Kaspar blurts out in Polish.

Almost immediately the response is, "Whaaaaat? Who is this? Identify yourself!"

"Gówno!" Kaspar shouts at the ceiling, then redirects himself to the mic, keying it open again,

"This is Major Gorski," he says, this time in his American accent, "Commander, Team SG-X1. I need to speak with the Duty Officer immediately."
Hilda
 SG-X1, 669 posts
 Cimmerian Scout/Soldier
 MisSpec, SSgt (honorary)
Fri 6 Oct 2017
at 13:00
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Uncaring of the fates of the Jaffa she might be, there was no way Hilda was going to let them fight a battle without her, and no way she would be seen to be cowardly. 'Angrboğa!' she roared, charging into the scene, but not before assessing the field of battle and the ranks of her orak'tar enemies. She used the allied Jaffa as cover as she did.


OOC: What are the distances and numbers here? Do we have cover? Should I just start rolling attacks?

Initiative 25, rolled a 20.
20:54, Today: Hilda rolled 25 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 20. initiative.

StarMaster
 GM, 815 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Sun 8 Oct 2017
at 20:18
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
It's about 30 feet up the ramp to the pel'tak. There were 9 orak'tar at the start, but the Jaffa have killed two.

Hilda can start rolling for attacks. There are enough Jaffa to run interference for her.
General Hammond
 NPC (SGC Commander), 126 posts
Sun 8 Oct 2017
at 20:28
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
COMM TRAFFIC... >>>"This is General Hammond, Commander," comes a reply to Kasper over the radio. "Is everyone all right?"

"You've been out of contact for two days."

Hilda
 SG-X1, 670 posts
 Cimmerian Scout/Soldier
 MisSpec, SSgt (honorary)
Mon 9 Oct 2017
at 07:16
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
'Shield wall!' Hilda bellowed, more in instinct than planning, a sound tactic hampered only by the fact that none of the Jaffa actually carried shields. Regardless, needing to get as many Jaffa to the top of the ramp as soon as possible, the tactic served well enough. The armoured Jaffa on the edges were the shields. 'Charge!'

Marching close behind, Hilda spun from side to side, angling the staff weapon high. Spying the first crocodile-faced orak'tar overlooking then, she unleashed a powerful blast at it.


OOC: Using a staff weapon, so:
Awkward: -2 to Initiative, now 23
Armour piercing: ignores DR 3.
Accuracy: -2 (I don't know what this applies to)
Sidestep: +1 dodge Defense vs all foes, total Defense 14

Attack 19, damage 22 @ nearest Jaffa

StarMaster
 GM, 816 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 21:11
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Hilda manages to hit one of the orak'tar, and, as expected, it goes down. The staff weapon easily penetrates the armor that they are wearing, which is only a crude breastplate. The gator-folk have a natural armor, of course, but it still isn't as tough as the armor that the Jaffa wear.

For about 2 minutes, staff weapon fire is exchanged in a fast and furious manner. At one point, though, one of the orak'tar fires a zat and hits Rajip. Hilda and two of the Jaffa target him immediately, and kill that gator-folk.

And then the battle is over. All of the orak'tar are dead, and there are only two Jaffa left.
StarMaster
 GM, 817 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 21:17
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
General Hammond listens to Kaspar's report before replying.

COMM TRAFFIC... >>>"I was hoping it was something like that. We opened the gate twice, to see if we could pick up any radio transmissions, but we didn't want to risk sending another MALP through. We were considering sending a small drone through, just to get a picture," General Hammond says.

"So what is your plan of operation now?"
Kaspar Radoslaw Gorski
 SG-X1, 455 posts
 Professor of Anthropology
 Major, Polish Land Forces
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 00:56
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
In reply to StarMaster (msg # 28):

"Well, Sir, we've bluffed the original Jaffa crew of the Ha'tak into helping us take on the Goa'uld who showed up with the Gator-Jaffa. With their help I'm fairly confident of taking out the Goa'uld. That will leave us in control of the Ha'tak. The only unknown is how many of the original Jaffa crew will survive the fight. These guys have no idea about the revolt going on with the Free Jaffa, back in the main part of the galaxy. I'm not sure they could even conceive such a concept."

"So, the issue becomes what do we do with our Jaffa, once they've beaten the Goa'uld and his forces for us? Do we double cross them and put a bullet in the back of their heads? Should we try and bring them to the SGC, where one of the Free Jaffa might convince them there is another way. Can we take the chance of just letting them dial their home, and letting them gate out?"

"I'm afraid I'm a little rusty at making these kinds of decisions, General, so I'm passing it on to Higher Authority. Oh, and would you have a platoon of Marines just standing around? I think I could use some reinforcements."

General Hammond
 NPC (SGC Commander), 127 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 01:25
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
COMM TRAFFIC... >>>"I appreciate you trying to pass the buck to me, Major, but you are the officer on site. The decision has to be yours." Hammond replies.

"I can advise you, though. My personal feeling is that double-crossing anyone at any time is never a good idea. I know how much I hate it when the politicians do it to me."

"We can pass the Jaffa through the gate to a neutral site where they will be met by Free Jaffa, who can explain the situation to them. Do you think any of them will know the address for that gate? If you bring it back, or relocate it, however, even knowing the address won't help as they won't be able to dial it."

"I'm sure I can round up a few marines... I'm at a loss as to what you need them for?"

Kaspar Radoslaw Gorski
 SG-X1, 456 posts
 Professor of Anthropology
 Major, Polish Land Forces
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 01:45
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
In reply to General Hammond (msg # 30):

"They might know the address, sir." Kaspar responded, "This was their ship, and their gate. Or their Goa'uld Masters. But I think your solution is the better, all around, General. I was just thinking that the Marines could help if the Jaffa got a little jumpy, plus we might need a little more site security."

"Now that we've secured the Ha'tak, Gavin and Freyda will be making engineering studies and Captain Tourmaline will be assessing the flight systems, all prior to our salvaging the vessel's systems for study back on Earth. I'll be returning to the City of The First for some more Anthropological study while the Tech Team does their thing. That just leaves Hilda and Sargent Mojdar to secure the gate in case another Goa'uld should gate in. And I'll probably bring one or the other of them with me to the city."

"Which also brings up the issue of a Diplomatic Team. I explained to the First Elders who we are and what we are about - in generalities - and The First seemed interested in contact. The Ancients that genetically elevated The First and the other species on this world also left behind some global defenses that limit Goa'uld activity on the planet. It might be worthwhile to make friends with them."

General Hammond
 NPC (SGC Commander), 128 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 03:09
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
COMM TRAFFIC >>>"I thought the mission was to bring back the ha'tak?" Hammond replies.

"We didn't know at first what the status of the ship was. The address was to the gate, which, if you are correct, was never on this world anyway."

"Is it worth leaving it? You said The First might dig up their gate. Should we let them have the one in the ship, so that they don't have to dig it up?"

"Do you think it would be practical to install an iris over it?"

"Do you have any intel that indicates there are other Dragon Lords that might come through the gate? The slime got one of them... the one that possessed the ship in the first place. He was transported the gate there to ship naquadah through it, right?"

"You've stranded the second one there... he's the one that sabotaged the ship in an attempt to steal it, the stargate and the naquadah. What is his status?"

Kaspar Radoslaw Gorski
 SG-X1, 457 posts
 Professor of Anthropology
 Major, Polish Land Forces
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 07:48
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
In reply to General Hammond (msg # 32):

"This vessels return was a hard objective, Sir?" Kaspar asks, "I mean, I suppose we could ... the ship doesn't seem to be significantly damaged from its hard landing, but, General, do we even have access to enough refined naquada fuel to make the attempt? We are located in a stellar globular cluster just outside our galaxy - how long would a return trip take?"

"Although, admittedly, if we did fly this Ha'tak back home, we'd have yet another gate to add to the collection - maybe we could put one on Mars?"

"Actually, sir, I think it might be better for The First's cultural psyche if we let them reinstall their own gate, but we offer to supply them with an iris. From what I saw, they are technologically capable of both operating and maintaining such a device."

"The First Elders implied that several Dragon Lords make occasional visits here to mine naquada. I do believe that it was the intention of this Ha'tak's Goa'uld to set up this gate here and set up a more permanent presence."

"The impression I got was that ships could land if their weapon systems were powered down. Other than that, as long as the cities aren't attacked, the global defenses remain inactive. The First Elders weren't specific on how the weapons worked, just that they would stop any Goa'uld attacks."

"Yes, General, we believe the Goa'uld who came through the gate somehow sabotaged this Ha'tak to dump its fuel just prior to landing. I think the slime infestation may have been unplanned - they didn't appear to be prepared for it, when they came through the gate. Last we knew, he had gone up to the pel'taq with his Gator-Jaffa. He should be up there, since we had disabled the DHD when we left the ship, and it didn't look like the dialer had been touched when we repaired it. Of course, I can't discount that he may have alternate means of dialing the gate."

"So either this Dragon Lord is upstairs with his Jaffa, or he snuck off the ship over night. Is there any particular reason you want him alive, General? I thought every effort to interrogate a Goa'uld had failed, so far?"
Hilda
 SG-X1, 671 posts
 Cimmerian Scout/Soldier
 MisSpec, SSgt (honorary)
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 09:29
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Hilda had ordered her massed Jaffa troop to charge to the top of the ramp, under heavy staff-weapon fire, so that they could face the orak'tar on level ground as quickly as possible. It was brave, glorious, and almost completely not survivable.

As the flames and smoke cleared, Hilda regarded the two remaining Jaffa, a prone Rajip, the annihilated orak'tar, and the many dead Jaffa on her own side. 'We win!' Hilda whooped, not knowing the concept of a Pyrrhic victory. She thrust her staff weapon into the air and firing a triumphant blast into the ceiling. 'Brave warriors all, they shall drink and fight forever in Valhalla!'


OOC: How many orak'tar can we estimate remain, after seeing the number who entered through the Stargate the other day?
StarMaster
 GM, 821 posts
 Storyteller
 License to Tamper
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 13:54
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
HILDA: A dozen orak'tar came through initially, along with the Dragon Lord. You killed three of them that were left guarding the gate. The rest are now laying on the deck, dead.
General Hammond
 NPC (SGC Commander), 129 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 14:09
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
COMM TRAFFIC >>>"We did not know what the status of the ha'tak was when we sent you through," Hammond answered. "Admittedly, it seemed unlikely that it would have just been sitting there abandoned... for no reason. And, as it turns out, there were two reasons... sabotage and slime."

"But, yes, we assigned your team to this mission because Vasandra could pilot the ship. And Freyda and Gavan might be able to increase its speed."

"We hadn't actually sat down and determined what an acceptable length of time was to return. I suppose we could have accepted a year. Longer than that, untenable... unacceptable risk."

"I didn't say I wanted the Dragon Lord alive, Major. You said that you'd trapped him on the ship, and have yet to offer a report on his status. Is he still alive?"

"There is naquadah on the planet, correct? Is there any reason you know of that you can't acquire some of that?"

"Also, my advisors inform me that you might be able to salvage enough naquadah from the staff weapons to at least move the ship to another world. Does that sound like a plan?"

"As for The First... I'll send a signature box through with the marines. I'll assemble a team of techs that can assemble the iris. I wouldn't want The First to dig up their gate and then be vulnerable while we diddle around getting the iris in place."

"If the gate is buried, does that mean it is face down? If so, can The First raise it to an upright position again? Or will they need assistance from us?"

Hilda
 SG-X1, 672 posts
 Cimmerian Scout/Soldier
 MisSpec, SSgt (honorary)
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 08:09
X2U-238: Shot in the Dark 2
Hilda counted the dead, and compared them to the number of orak'tar she'd seen march through the Ring of Stars. That seemed to be all of them, bar the Dragonlord, her true Goa'uld enemy. Using her Tau'ri radio, she opened a channel to all of SG-X, though she addressed only "Lady Angrboğa". 'My Queen! We have slain all the filthy orak'tar. Only the Dragonlord Chu-Lung remains! Two Jaffa survived the battle; they fought most valiantly. We shall continue the hunt, if you will it.' While she waited for a response, she tried to revive Rajip, mainly by splashing water on his face.