Freeport - Temple of Light.   Posted by TheDudeAbides.Group: 0
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 55 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 04:56
Re: Freeport
She looked up a tiny bit. Wait a moment...they were going to leave...tonight!? Right now!? She figured they'd have at least a few more days here! She supposed it hadn't really hit her yet, she had not truly realized what was about to happen. Her night tonight...it wouldn't be in her bedroll that was always warm next to the burners, it was going to be outside! W-with bugs! A-and her surroundings wouldn't be the same ones she had seen every day! A-and she wouldn't have to fix her morning potions! A-and mom and dad wouldn't check on her! A-and...the girl wavered a little, her mind overheating with all of the worries of truly leaving home for the first time. She coughed a few times, nearly wheezing from the nervousness. NO! She had to remain calm! She had to regain her focus. She just had to be adventurous! Yes! She just had to go out there like all the heroines in her stories and do it! Yeah! All she had to do was not think about her home! Or her parents! Or her potion supplies. Or her books. Or everything she had ever known and loved in the world. She cleared her throat. "Um...m-maybe we should leave tomorrow? I-It's night now...a-and a good night's sleep is h-helpful for a journey..."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 13 posts
Wed 11 Jun 2014
at 13:34
Re: Freeport
"Don't worry guppy~" Lalita chirped, giving the elven girl a reassuring smile. "You've got all of us to look out for you. But the swordfish is right, we should be on our way. Glub."

Lalita wasn't so fond of traveling at night, but she knew the sooner they started their journey the better off they were and the world. She took a quick glance up at the sky. The stars were so beautiful tonight. In a way the girl felt a bit surprised of herself. Like the chubby guard, she was sure her colleagues were taking this time to reflect on the life they would soon leave behind. But Lalita, did not feel such notstalgia. Perhaps this was because she no longer had a home to look back on. No one waiting for her to come back safe and sound. "Otets..." she thought to herself. "Please be ok..."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:12, Thu 10 July 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 19 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 02:52
Re: Freeport
“S-Swordfish,” Lynessa stammered. She ran a hand through her blonde tresses and laughed sheepishly. “I suppose if I must be a fish, that would be the one I would choose.” She looked at Lalita, wondering what to think of the beast-kin. She didn't feel the same sense of mistrust she felt toward Jada, though perhaps that was only because Lalita had agreed with her suggestion.

“There isn't any reason we can't get a good night's rest on the road,” she replied to Lucinda. “If we only go a few miles out, the Guard will have us well covered, and we will see to your safety as well. We could get by with only a single person on watch at a time, and I could take yours tonight if you had to travel far to get here today.” Lynessa shrugged. “If we must stay here, I might be able to get beds at the garrison for most of you,” she glanced pointedly at Jada, “if you can't afford rooms. Either way, we should go see to our mounts tonight.”
Jada
 player, 19 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 03:55
Re: Freeport
Jada looked at Lynessa with displeasure, shaking his head before he spoke. "Fortunately that is of little consequence. I have no desire to stay at the garrison, nor do I intend to travel with you." He said managing to keep his tone mostly neutral despite his irritation. Turning to the others he continued. "I will be finding myself an inn tonight, rising at dawn, and departing the city by the north gate as soon as I can collect my horse. Anyone not wallowing in their prejudice is free to join me."
Lalita Chandra
 player, 14 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 04:09
Re: Freeport
Lalita didn't like where this was headed. Already there was tension between some of the other travelers, specially the swordfish and Jada. If they were going to be a team...well...maybe the fish-kin was jumping a bit there. But still, if they were to travel together a sense of trust needed to be established. "Whale if we are staying in the city tonight...I sink i'll go with Jada. I-im not shore how well people here will take to my...appearance. Glub..."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 64 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 04:22
Re: Freeport
Lucinda did not really understand the tension that was rising between the group. Those kind of veiled insults and complex group interactions were far above her social experience level, which was probably somewhere deep underground. All she cared about was that she was probably going home tonight! To her lab! And her bedroll! And her parents! And everything she knew and ever loved! It made her smile a little thinking of her room and all of its creature comforts. She really hoped this would work out and the rest of the people would go to the inn and she would get to go home. She waited and stared while smiling at the group. She had to stay for the moment to make sure they wouldn't leave without her.
Nikolai Grey
 NPC, 11 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 07:31
Re: Freeport
    The commotion of being granted such an important quest was clearly causing some strife between the would-be companions. Nikolai was no stranger to discourse but could clearly see this was neither the time nor the place for contention. He spoke up in a clear and cool voice, "Fellow adventurers, there is no need for mistrust or misplaced anger, the High Priestess herself gave unto each of you a piece of her VERY soul. The least we can do at this moment is steel ourselves for the coming days and accept each other regardless of our differences."

    The placid man looked from face to face with a long penetrating stare, "Each of you chose this destiny and came of your own accord, let us move forward together and see what the darkness holds. My vote is that we move tonight, every passing day is precious and the future of our beloved country lies upon our shoulders." With that he drifted into silence, and drew his cloak about him like a shield warding off the coming night.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 16 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 17:56
Re: Freeport
Oh joy.  With friends like these, who needs enemies?  Those were Jerischo's actual thoughts as he heard the others bicker.  At this point, he had half a mind to rescind his willingness to go along with them, head for another town, try his luck there, and wave good-bye to the world.  No, that'd be irresponsible.  Still, that cat-beast was being obnoxious.  They had bigger issues, and if he wanted to run off on his lonesome, well, Jeri had learned a saying in all of it.

"Best way to die is to think yourself capable of everything," he muttered. Well, for all her lack of social graces or way with words, Lynessa was right about one thing, and that was the horses.  And Jerischo was VERY interested in the horses.  So much so that he simply walked by the others, heading for the horses.  "Where and when to sleep can wait. I for one am excited to meet our new equine friends~"
Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:50
Re: Freeport
Nikolai spoke words that resonated well within Devi, the work that went into magic as strong as she had done to see them and then produce the items they all carried was nothing to laugh at, though she supposed most would have no real understanding of it (not that she did herself) with their total lack of magic. The only other one she expected to understand was Lalita, she had something that called to his blood about her, something familiar that she expected meant that she was the same as herself. She would need to speak with her at some point in private, away from the others.

Devi listened to the others bicker, while she would like to say she was disappointed she knew that groups pulled together from random walks of life tended to have problems like these, at the very least for the beginning. She was no mediator though and she didn't wish to act as one even if she was. With a displeased look on her face Devi added to Jerischo's words as she followed closely behind him, "I agree, horses first."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:50, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

TheDudeAbides
 GM, 135 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 21:39
Re: Freeport
    As the group decided their next course of action, a man approached from the dimly lit street. He was powerfully built and broad shouldered, clothed in the traditional garb of a temple servant. He spoke up as he reached the group, "Nikolai Grey?" his tone was questioning and he spread his arms in a gesture of peace and goodwill. "My name is Johan Beltray, I have been sent by the church of light. Your presence is greatly needed by our order. " The man identified Nikolai almost instantly and moved quickly to his side. He whispered a few words in his ear and Nikolai handed him something. "I will go within the Temple and make amends with High Priestess Lismore. Nikolai, you must make with great haste to the town of Hanover." With that he strode past the group and onward towards the Temple of Light.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:42, Fri 13 June 2014.

Nikolai Grey
 NPC, 12 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 21:49
Re: Freeport
    Nikolai was clearly surprised by the strange words, but his dedication to the order was first in his mind. Whatever the man had whispered in his ear had moved him, he spoke to the group "Well friends, this is apparently where we part paths. Only the goddess knows what is in store for each of us. Perhaps in the coming days we will meet again." Taking long strides, he quickly distanced himself from the party. Before he was lost to sight, he turned and waved goodbye to the group and then was swallowed up by the darkness.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:26, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 19 posts
Thu 12 Jun 2014
at 22:33
Re: Freeport
Lalita stood there surprise. One minute they were about to go off on their adventure and then the next, they lose a group member! The cleric too. For some reason, this fact made the  girl a little said. Though they hadn't gotten the chance to get to know one other, based on his words from earlier Nikolai seemed like a great man. It was a shame he was leaving so soon, however, whatever the church of light needed from him it must of been reely important. And so, just as the man was about to leave the fish-kin gave a small wave and preformed a motion of "good luck." Murmuring, "Until we meet again, Nikolai."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:50, Fri 13 June 2014.

Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 18 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 02:49
Re: Freeport
The bard didn't say goodbye to the cleric;  he hadn't gotten to know him, and he'd never been one for the religious folk.  That much ought to have been clear.  He stepped lightly, his intent clear for all intents and purposes.  His voice rang out, though, something. . .odd.  Something compelling, something calming to any who could hear it, and something that urged listening.  Of course, he was only speaking about horses.  Nothing so important or relevant, right?

"You know what I like about horses?  They don't argue, they don't talk and judge you.  They wait until they get a true measure on you before whickering away, and they don't think it's a good idea to leave the herd.  Honestly, they make life so much simpler for each other."
TheDudeAbides
 GM, 154 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 02:52
Re: Freeport
    The sounds of singing and laughter still remained but as time passed, they began to dim. Slowly people began emerging, stumbling, from their favorite pubs out into the streets. Much of the light provided by the taverns and inns began to flicker away as guests either went home for the night or tucked in for a good nights rest. The temperature began to drop, evenings in early spring on the coast could become quite chilly. Without a fire, anyone caught standing about would eventually become quite uncomfortable.

    A street patrol passed by the group and one of the guards glanced warily at the strange group who was loitering near the entrance to the Temple of Light. "Oi! ya best be on yer way and not be causin any problems ya hear?" The guard raised his lamp and took a closer look at the group, he jumped slightly when he saw the unpleasant looks on their faces. "Well... just be on yer way..." He slinked back to the rest of the patrol and they shuffled off into the night.

1st day of the 2nd month: 10:00 PM.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 23 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 03:02
Re: Freeport
She was trying. She really was. But after listening to Jerischo and the guard, Lalita couldn't help but just laugh. It was all just too finny. "I-im sorry." she stuttered, trying to regain her composure. She let out one last giggle before looking around at all of them. "Look at us, not even out of the city and we're already carping like a bunch of fighting fish. Relax every guppy! Lets try this again. I sink we should get our horses and be on our way. We can make camp afterwards like swordfish suggested and if anyone doesn't feel like taking shifts, i'll be more than happy to keep watch throughout the night. I'm more of a night owl anywaves. What do you all sink?"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:35, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 84 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 03:05
Re: Freeport
She wanted to be a dissenting opinion. She wanted to go home. She wanted to go back to her lab and sit down with her potions for another night. She wanted to say hello to her parents one more time before she left. She wanted to do a lot of things. B-but...if everyone else was just going...there was no way she knew better than them. No way in the world. "B-but home..." She managed to lightly mutter, probably too soft for anyone to hear. She frowned, knowing she wouldn't be able to convince anyone anyway.
Jada
 player, 28 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 03:10
Re: Freeport
With a slow deep breath, Jada gathered himself. His angry expression began to fade to more of a troubled one. "Nikolai is of course right. The best chance of stopping the darkness to the north is working together. However I don't want to be where I am unwelcome. Journeying while needing to watch my back from the people I should be trusting will not work."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:10, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 28 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 04:07
Re: Freeport
Lynessa folded her arms across her chest as Nikolai vanished into the night. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps she should give the High Priestess the benefit of the doubt and trust her judgment, even if she didn't trust Jada. She felt her cheeks flush in response to Jerischo's gentle scolding.

“I'm no backstabber,” she shot at Jada. She clenched her teeth. Suddenly she was twelve years old again, on her way home from what had passed as her father's funeral. What felt like a million eyes bored holes into her and her mother, the unspoken thought on everyone's mind echoed in her skull like a maniacal laugh. ”traitor... traitor... traitor...”. “I'm no traitor...”

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She needed to calm down, and though she was too prideful to admit it, Jada had a point. If they couldn't trust each other when things became dangerous their journey would likely end with them rotting somewhere in the North. “I may not be as agreeable as a horse, but I will not turn on my... allies.”

She nodded at Lalita. “We can decide on shifts when we set camp. You'll be exhausted the next morning if you don't rest at all.” She was eager to be out of the City. She was afraid that staying one more night in what had been home her whole life would make it that much harder to leave the next day.
Jerischo Elsinoir Addis
 player, 23 posts
 Will play music for Dosh.
 And Deeds 4 Cheap.
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 04:19
Re: Freeport
Oh, the damned contrarians.  Jerischo was not having any of this.  He wanted his horse.  And so his final words were just that;  final.  They were directed as much at Jada and Lynessa as they were at the rest as his persuasiveness only grew.  Any with magical sense could feel something, albeit only slight, and only when he spoke.

"Horses don't MAKE trouble in their herds.  They just know when to be quiet and let it all work.  Horses snip, but they settle down, and they don't expect each other to backstab.  If they did, they'd be humans, beast-kin, and others.  They're horses, and I'm starting to like them more and more, the more I talk about them.  So how about a little game? Every 'I don't trust you' or 'I want to trust you but can't' I hear gets to participate in a little 'trust building exercise?'  That should make our herd nice and strong.  Or we can all just, you know, learn to put aside our differences."
Jada
 player, 29 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 04:30
Re: Freeport
"I can't put aside being what I am. However.. I'll have faith in those chosen by the priestess. I'll travel with everyone." He replied. "Now I don't see why everyone is set on troubling the stable master at this hour, but it seems that is what everyone wants, so let's be about it." He said, ready to follow the others to the stables.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:32, Fri 13 June 2014.

Lalita Chandra
 player, 26 posts
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 13:25
Re: Freeport
Lalita heard the elven girls light mutter and took her hands, giving her a gentle smile as she said. "I understand it's hard but, if we stay... it'll only be that much harder to leave. Don't worry. We all have your back." The end of her sentence was more towards Jada than Lucinda. She looked up at the beast-kin and keeping a warm smile listened as everyone else began to speak.

She gave the swordfish a small nod. "Aye! Aye! Captain swordfish!" she shouted, hoping to get in a small laugh from anyone else in the group. These people were so stiff. The fish-kin could already tell she was going to have to teach them to loosen up.

Then Jerischo spoke. All of a sudden the guppy felt her eyes widen in disbelief. Wait...the bard...was he..? No. She must of been imagining things. But if so, what was this sudden feeling she felt when he spoke? She shook her head. Best to ask about it later. For now, they needed to be on their way.

When Jada let out another disheartening comment, Lalita frowned. She let go of Lucinda's hand and walking up to the beast-kin, poked him on the forehead. Or...at least tried to. "Alright Mr. Grumpy gills." She replied, sticking her tongue out at him childishly before turning to the rest of the group. "Onwards~ Glub."
Lucinda Eravyn
 player, 89 posts
 Elf
 Alchemist
Fri 13 Jun 2014
at 13:57
Re: Freeport
Lucinda blushed and flinched as the fish-kin held her hands. Wh-what was going on!? She wasn't used to such casual physical contact, after all, her parents always warned her about accidentally spreading acid around, and she certainly wasn't used to it with a stranger. She had shaken hands with other people before, b-but usually that was meant to finish off a business deal! H-had she accidentally made some bargain with Lalita!? As she heard the fishy girl's words, she figured that probably wasn't true. Maybe...she was trying to be nice? A-and encouraging? Lucinda understood that...but why was she holding her hands like that? In her books...people only held hands and encouraged eachother like that if they were lov- She tensed up and blushed redder than a beet. N-no way! Th-there was no way anybody- She moved forward very quickly, happy that the girl was no longer holding her. She pushed forward, hoping to outrun the terrifying thoughts.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:09, Fri 13 June 2014.

Devi McCain
 player, 79 posts
 Human
 Caster
Fri 19 Sep 2014
at 18:50
Re: Freeport
Nikolai had left them, on a mission for his order that he felt more important than the mission that they where partaking in. Perhaps it was best that he left if he felt this was of so little import as to run off doing errands for others when asked. With a shrug she was ready to continue moving on when the others continued to speak amongst themselves, arguing and being generally displeased with each others company. Devi was uninterested in it, and would have dismissed it to be on their way if it wasn't for Jerischo's words tugging at something in her, it was a feeling that was becoming all to common, that of another user.

Was this why the priestess had chosen them? Were they all in one way or another practitioners? Perhaps she did need to watch them more than she had thought, but then again she always watched those she traveled with as they were rarely the best of people. She shrugged as she continued on her way towards the stables, it wasn't something she wanted to worry about right now, they had a goal in front of them and it was time to move towards it rather than dillydallying about.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:50, Fri 19 Sept 2014.

Lynessa Crescent
 player, 31 posts
Sat 14 Jun 2014
at 02:04
Re: Freeport
Any magical properties in Jerischo's voice were completely lost on Lynessa, but his words got through well enough. The rest of the party seemed well enough. Even the fish girl. Maybe if she and Jada just kept their distance, things would work out.

“Captain, eh? It seems I've gotten a promotion.” Lalita's optimism was infectious, and even after such a rough start to things Lynessa couldn't keep the corner of her mouth for twitching into a smile. “The stables aren't far. Maybe we can still get our mounts without having to wake Alfonz fir- hey! Lucinda!” she watched the elven girl scamper ahead. “Huh... I wonder what has gotten into her.”
Jada
 player, 37 posts
Sun 15 Jun 2014
at 20:30
Re: Freeport
Jada didn't retreat from Lalita's gesture, but he did seem a bit bewildered by it. He was unaccustomed to physical contact outside of training, doubly so from strangers. He looked slightly crestfallen at her good-natured chiding, turning his attention inwards as he followed the others. The small fish-girl's words seemed to carry weight with him.

Jada had quickly learned to block out most others after starting his journey. However Lalita was inherently different. She wasn't just another human with an opinion to spit at him, she was a beast-kin like him, the first he had seen in person. And more importantly, she had been willing to trust and travel with him when he had hastily decided to not travel with Lynessa. He found himself realizing that unlike the countless people he had encountered on his way to Freeport, he cared if she thought ill of him.