Chapter A: O'Malley's.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Velkarah
 NPC, 82 posts
 Exotic Animal Trainer
Wed 12 Jul 2017
at 14:15
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
The exotic animal trainer enters O'Malley's with her usual sour demeanor.  A small red fox trails behind her.  O'Malley gives Velkarah a stern look.  Velkarah holds three fingers out for the fox to clearly see and then points outside.  The fox obeys and waits just outside the door next to Guuug, the large half-giant bouncer wearing a sandwich board with today's lunch specials painted on it.

Velkarah sits at a table near the back of the common room and waits.
Barrett
 player, 229 posts
 Bounty Hunter
Fri 14 Jul 2017
at 07:42
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Barrett rolled into O'Malley's with a grin. The task had started out low but had ended high. In any case, Barrett was a happy man for the moment. A look to Bellson sunk that feeling slightly. They still had dirty work to finish and he was not the biggest fan for the councilman Mud. He made his way to the bar, ensuring the Bellson was following. He regarded the former adventurer with a slight bit of jealousy. "Two whiskeys, double for both. You'll be glad to know that the previous job I have has wrapped up well and your investment into her future is going to give you one hell of a contact. Could you also send a runner to let councilman Mud know that we have returned, package in hand?", he said as he placed a few coins on the bar for the drinks and the runner. Once the drinks came he turned to Bellson, giving him one of the glasses. "If this meeting goes sideways, you won't find me at your throat. I didn't get paid to kill you, only find you. You have my word."
Antonio de la Vega
 player, 106 posts
 Human
 Dashing Swordsman
Fri 14 Jul 2017
at 16:43
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Though the ship arrives at O'Malley's back door, Antonio does not go inside right away. Instead, he tells his companions to summon the good councilor and that he will return presently. Then he heads off in search of a good tailor before the day gets too long.

After a short search, Antonio manages to find a small shop that deals in fine clothes. He strides inside after tossing his ruined cape into a side alley. "My good man! I have desperate need of a new cape. Please show me what you have available." It does not take long to go through the shop's entire store of available capes, but it does take Antonio quite some time to decide between his two favorites. Neither has the red interior trim of his old cape, but one has silver filigree along the bottom edge that matches the rest of his outfit and the other is a reserved true black that is somewhat less ostentatious. After some debate, the swordsman decides that the more reserved of the two is the better choice. He gives the tailor five gold for the garment.

The next step is to find a new hat and so Antonio strides off in search of a milliner with his new cape billowing behind him. There are a few hat shops, but it takes some time for him to find one with an inventory that intrigues him. His final selection is another black velvet broad brimmed affair with a red ostrich feather, but this one has one side pinned up so as to produce a jaunty effect. Quite pleased with his hat, this time Antonio pays ten gold and makes his way back to O'Malley's where he rejoins his companions and Bellson to wait for Mud.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:27, Sun 23 July 2017.

DM
 GM, 2215 posts
Sat 15 Jul 2017
at 05:56
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
O'Malley nods to Barrett and calls for one of Stray's boys to fetch councilman Mud.

Bellson downs his drink and gives Barrett a forced smile.  "If he wanted me dead he would have hired killers, not retrievers.  No offense."  He quickly adds.  "I appreciate your vow regardless."

Shortly after Antonio arrives councilwoman Kezra emerges from a back room, quickly followed by a man who sits down at a table with Velkarah and two adventurers you recognize from O'Malley's.  Kezra continues on out the exit.  From outside you hear her voice, purposely raised in volume.  Perhaps to make sure everyone inside can hear her.  "Of course not Councilman!  But then, not all of the council has time to sit at the tavern all afternoon.  Some are busy looking after Valarez."
Mud
 NPC, 37 posts
 council member
 Valarez
Sat 15 Jul 2017
at 05:56
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Mud enters O'Malley's and heads straight to the owner wearing a sour look.  He flings some coins at the bar and heads to a back room without ever stopped.  "Come."  He speaks over his shoulder to Barret and Antonio.

Kalroth walks in just in time to see Mud walking to the back and hurries over to the others.
Borak Annanock
 player, 174 posts
 Oriad
 Cleric
Sun 16 Jul 2017
at 20:50
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Borak finds a table in the far corner of O" Mally's after sitting he opens the pouch Velkara gave him and separates the coins into three equal piles of 2000 coins each.
Marceline
 player, 127 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 05:04
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Marceline moves just slow enough following Borak so that Tolbrand will have to pass her should he want his payment, and it isn't long before the man eventually passes her.

Kezra's words echo in her mind - Control what you can. Embrace what you are.
She knows what she is, she knows why she is, she knows the truth behind rumored whispers that follow her and those like her. It was time for her to stop running from herself.

She waits until Tolbrand hesitantly reaches for his cut from the job before moving, her hand darting out and grabbing Tolbrand's tightly, quick like a shadow, her iron nails digging into his flesh. She has his attention and stares him down, mismatched eyes cold and knowing.

"You will leave." She tells him. Her nails dig tighter.
"You will leave your payment. You will leave this tavern. We shall never see you again." Her words are heavy with old magics and flow out of her. She is dimly aware of the trickle of blood between her fingers.
"The shadows will hide you no longer. Forever will you wither under the harshness of truth until the end of your days." She releases Tolbrand's hand and exhales dispassionately. Mhysa warbles low on her shoulder.

Tolbrand takes a hesitant step away from the table as if the weight of her words were real, and deep down she feels lighter.

Stronger.

OOC: Shenanigans! For DM eyes only though.
Tolbrand
 player, 81 posts
 Nil Facilis Est
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 13:35
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Tolbrand takes quick deep breathes as he stares at Marceline.  His eyes dart to the money for a split second before looking back.  "He said it would be quick, no pain.  A bigger cut for all of us.  Don't trust him.  Don't make my mistake.  Damn the councilman!  Mat Takri lose him along the golden road!"

Tolbrand runs from the tavern nearly knocking over a few patrons who are entering.

NPCed by the DM.
Marceline
 player, 128 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 15:25
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Marceline watches Tolbrand flee with a blank dispassionate look on her face. Only once he is gone does she smile, which looks out of place on her. It fades almost as fast as it appears as she turns to explain to Borak.

"He was supposed to betray us. I do not know who paid him to do so." she says, looking at the three piles of gold. "Do you wish to split his payment?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:27, Mon 17 July 2017.

Borak Annanock
 player, 175 posts
 Oriad
 Cleric
Mon 17 Jul 2017
at 21:31
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
When Marceline looks up at Borak who had just jumped to his feet the first thing she notices is the very surprised look on his face,the second is that his hammer is in his hand not on his belt, Wow! I didn't see that coming.

The cleric slips his hammer back into his belt as he sits back down, Hey Mar, are you alright? That was pretty intense, As he listens to Marceline,s explanation He relax's in the chair. We can split Tolbrand cut of the money, I'm just glad you were on your toes. He could have tricked me into handing over the evidence we have to the wrong person.

Some one sending us out with a traitor doesn't surprise me, at least not now. I've been nervous ever since I read those journals and ledgers. Both have references to the fact that some one in this town has been helping Malveese. Like the fact that he had a ledger and notes from shops here in town, one from the Pen & Ink where I got my map. It's why I wouldn't share information with the group we met, and why I didn't say anything about the books and stuff we found,

I was so worried I even buried the books and all the papers in the stall at the stable where I left my horse. So I wouldn't have them on me if some one came after me, I also dropped two of the unhatched eggs of those nest we burnt with an animal doctor, who looked at the animals those things burned from the inside out.

 I don't know who to trust other then you Mar, Tolbrand had me completely fooled, if any thing happens to me all our gathered information is buried in the left side rear corner of the stall my horse spooky is in at a place called Hoofers.


I'm not very good at reading people or at dealing with the dishonest nature of some people. So what do you think we should do Now? I'll follow your lead.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:34, Mon 17 July 2017.

Marceline
 player, 131 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 03:43
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Adding Tolbrand's share to her pile of coins, Marceline sits down and thinks carefully about everything that's occurred since returning to the city. It almost seemed like it would have been better to stay in the woods.

Almost.

Realizing she's yet to respond she turns to Borak and lightly shrugs.

"I was made aware of Tolbrands deception from an outside source. Had they not said anything, I too would not know." she admits and sighs.

"I have no plans or ideas, other than to rest, regroup, and prepare for when Maeve will call. Which may be sooner than expected." she answers, eyes wandering to the tavern entrance. Some preparations wouldn't go astray, and they had allies - well, acquaintances. But they were a start.

"The others we met - the Roths, I think? - Maeve trusts them. The councilwoman trusts them. It isn't much, but they might be the ones to go to if whoever paid Tolbrand sends others." She takes a small part of her hair and starts to tightly braid it as she continues with her train of thought. She isn't able to build on the idea, but it helps her finish braiding a small section of her hair.

Using her nails she slices the braid off her head, then plucks a large feather out of her cloak and a smaller one from Mhysa (the raven giving an indignant squawk as she does) and carefully weaves them into her cut braid before tying it into a circle and handing it to Borak.

"I know there are magics that can be used to find people using things that belong to them. I am not an expert on magic, but this should be enough." She says, a little unsure of what she should do now. A hot meal, perhaps.
Borak Annanock
 player, 176 posts
 Oriad
 Cleric
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 23:09
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
I'm going to do some shopping and swing by Hoofers to check on a couple things. If you really think we can trust our new friends you should tell them about the other stuff we found, they may know who we should share the information with.
Marceline
 player, 132 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 23:43
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Maceline stands and nods in agreement. "I will be discreet." she tells him as she collects her gear and makes sure her coin pouch is hidden on her person. Mhysa hops onto her shoulder and warbles once.

"If I learn anything, or find someone we can trust, I will find you. If you do not find me first." She gives him a small smile and a polite bow, and then heads for the exit. She would start with aquiring gear, magic and mundane, along with looking for the Roths, should they cross paths again.
Borak Annanock
 player, 177 posts
 Oriad
 Cleric
Tue 18 Jul 2017
at 23:59
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Borak hurry's after Marceline, and catches her before she leaves the bar. Mar please be careful we don't know who we are up against, I'll meet you back here for dinner tonight and we'll compare notes. Do you think I should bring the journals and stuff with me.

Now that he had some money, and a little more time Borak's first stop is Hoofers, after stopping at the stall his mount is in Borak collects the journals and papers and packs them all into his saddle bags which he tosses over his shoulder, then he goes to find Tanda Brightflower.
Marceline
 player, 133 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Wed 19 Jul 2017
at 00:23
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Borak isn't exactly subtle and his heavy stride alerts her well before he reaches her. Bemused, she nods once.

"Dinner then. I will return in a few hours, at the latest." She says before they part ways again.

It isn't long before her wandering takes her to the market district and to the doorstep of one particular store: Mystical Memories.

Not what she expected, but it advertised various magical items and such, so it was as good a place as any to start and enters the store.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:29, Wed 19 July 2017.

Maggie McGee
 NPC, 6 posts
 reporter, diviner
 extrordinaire
Sun 6 Aug 2017
at 18:56
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Later that evening




A blonde haired woman enters O'Malley's and in a very businesslike way makes her way to an out of the way table.  She begins setting up several small books and an inkwell.
Marceline
 player, 137 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 01:36
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
After several hours wandering the streets of Valrez without a proper destination, Marceline finds herself back at O'Malley's. The walk had done little to clear her head and she had kept a wary eye out for Tolbrand for most of the walk. At least the tavern was safe ground.

Entering with the evening crowd, she nudges her raven to hide itself within her feathered cloak and went to the bar to order herself a meal, making sure her coinpurse is extra secured as she waits to catch someone's attention, looking over the crowd as she does so, mostly to see if Borak has returned. The few faces she can see are unfamiliar to her and simply remind her she doesn't know many people in the city still.
Harsk
 NPC, 40 posts
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 02:08
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
A grumpy looking dwarf sits down next to Marceline.  He grunts at the barmaid, who seems to know exactly what the dwarf wants and returns with a mug of dark colored ale.  He wears dust covered miner's clothes and a battle axe on his back.  He scowls at Marceline, not attempting to hide his gaze.
Marceline
 player, 138 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 02:23
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Marceline orders her meal and pays while doing her best to ignore the scowling dwarf, but isn't able to for long and turns to the dwarf, meeting his gaze and tilting her head slightly.

"What do you want?" she asks dispassionately.
Karon
 player, 491 posts
 Hobgoblin Manhunter
 AC 28 HP 65/65 F+7R+9W+4
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 07:13
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Maggie McGee:
Later that evening




A blonde haired woman enters O'Malley's and in a very businesslike way makes her way to an out of the way table.  She begins setting up several small books and an inkwell.

A hooded figure steps from the shadows by the stairs and makes his way to the table. "Good evening, Miss McGee. I hope you don't mind, but I asked a couple of people to join us, as this concerns them as well. We need to correct a few errors you have published, as well as enlighten you on the truth of one you have endorsed." The person's gloved hands come out to rest on the table.
Harsk
 NPC, 41 posts
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 20:35
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Marceline:
Marceline orders her meal and pays while doing her best to ignore the scowling dwarf, but isn't able to for long and turns to the dwarf, meeting his gaze and tilting her head slightly.

"What do you want?" she asks dispassionately.


The dwarf snorts and tosses back a long swig of ale.  "I work for someone who needs me to hire a few adventurers.  People who don't bend so easily.  You seem like you've got fire in yer gut.  Come back in a couple days.  I'll be here."

He finishes his meal by shoving half the plate into his mouth with one hand and gets up to leave.
Maggie McGee
 NPC, 11 posts
 reporter, diviner
 extrordinaire
Sat 12 Aug 2017
at 20:40
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Karon:
"Good evening, Miss McGee. I hope you don't mind, but I asked a couple of people to join us, as this concerns them as well. We need to correct a few errors you have published, as well as enlighten you on the truth of one you have endorsed." The person's gloved hands come out to rest on the table.


"By all means, I love to get all the information.  It has been known to happen that I may need to make an editor's retraction, but not often.  Which article is it that concerns you, mister..."

She gestures for Karon and any others he brought with him to sit.
Marceline
 player, 139 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Sun 13 Aug 2017
at 00:41
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Marceline watches the dwarf leave the tavern, blink slowly and thinking about the offer. It couldn't hurt, although there was her promise to Maeve that she still had to think of.

She would worry about both later. As her meal is served she looks around the tavern once more, taking in a few of the closer faces. Still nobody she properly recognized, but some faces did seem familiar somehow. She would worry about it after having eaten, and with a polite nod and smile to her server begins to eat.
Borak Annanock
 player, 203 posts
 Oriad
 Cleric
Sun 13 Aug 2017
at 01:47
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Later then he had thought he would be the Cleric enters O'Malley's, Looking around he see's Marceline at a table and walks up carrying his saddle bags. May I sit and share a meal with you?
Marceline
 player, 140 posts
 Changeling, but not lost
 Witch
Sun 13 Aug 2017
at 02:21
Re: Chapter 1: O'Malley's
Mouth full, Marceline just nods and points to an empty spot with her fork.