LOCATION: Castle Antrim.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 1791 posts
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 23:46
LOCATION: Castle Antrim


Castle Antrim sits against the edge of the intersection of the rivers that runs through Valarez.  Tall stone walls surround the outer courtyard.  The only way in for those without wings or climbing gear is through a single archway that faces the streets leading to the Valarez market.

A single guard stands at the center of the archway.  He wears a white tunic over chain armor.  A melting hourglass in dark orange is embroidered on the front and back of the tunic.
Silas
 player, 11 posts
 Elf
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 01:09
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas had agreed to terms with Lt Rast for the job the next morning, so now seemed like as good a time as any to fulfill his uncle's request. He made his way to Castle Antrim and almost convinced himself scaling the wall would be the most efficient course of action before seeing the one guard and remembering his cousin's standing here.

Coming to a more prudent decision, he approached the guard and spoke saying, "I would like to request an audience with Veronica, she serves the king and has done so faithfully for many years." He was proud of his twist of the tongue regarding Veronica's service as her powers all were derived from divine origins.

Before the guard could ask, he said, "Please let her know that her dear cousin Silas is inquiring after her."
DM
 GM, 1795 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 03:21
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"I will pass along your request, sir."  The guard raises a hand to his throat.  Each glove has the same melting hourglass symbol as his tunic.  The symbol shines with a faint light and the guard mouths a few sentences without making any real sound.

He looks at Silas.  "I'm afraid Lady Veronica isn't feeling well, sir.  She has asked you come back in a few days so she may receive you while in better health."
Silas
 player, 13 posts
 Elf
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 11:13
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"That is a most marvelous device! Is she very ill? I must know. I would be remiss if I did not attend to my cousin in her time of need."

His family had long been associated with the magical university, so he'd seen devices like the one the guard had used, but it didn't hurt to show deference and respect for those in positions of authority.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:54, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

DM
 GM, 1796 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 19:29
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"All of the Antrim Guard wear them, sir."  He sighs.

He looks around to ensure no one is watching, then pulls off his gloves.  "I'm not supposed to say but, many of the spell casters that aided Councilwoman Kezra in the grand exodus became mentally and physically exhausted.  Even months later they stay in bed trying to recuperate.  The Councilwoman is convinced something is wrong, but the clerics from The Mother's temple say they just need rest.  Tell me where you're staying, if anything changes I'll send a messenger."
Silas
 player, 15 posts
 Elf
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 20:07
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas looked away for a moment and wondered whether there was any hope of seeing his cousins this evening, looking back up at the man, he said, "I leave tomorrow for the mainland. I have been hired by Lieutenant Rast to help take care of an enemy of the state. If there is anyway for me to see Veronica, if only for a moment, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I will have to hope her health improves until my task has been completed..."
DM
 GM, 1802 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 22:07
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
The guard checks behind himself a second time and discreetly waves Silas forward.  "Quick, in and out.  Her room is on the third floor, left from the stairs.  If you're not back out in ten minutes I'll send someone to find you and deny ever having let you in."
Silas
 player, 15 posts
 Elf
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 22:27
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas nods his head and bows his shoulders in thanks and walks purposefully, but not so quickly as to attract attention. He follows the directions and makes his way up the stairs to the third floor and to the door on the left. He keeps an eye out as he goes for anything suspicious.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:36, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

DM
 GM, 1804 posts
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 20:20
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Passing through the inner courtyard Silas sees a small group of soldiers training.  They appear to be very pale, gaunt humans.  They may even be mistaken for ghouls if Silas did not know of the centakri from Craw.  They train in hand-to-hand combat.  Their speed is unmatched by anything Silas has seen before, strikes are traded back and forth with a speed that his eyes can't keep up with.

Several guards miss Silas as he sneaks up the castle stairs.  A single guard walks the third floor hallways, when he turns the corner Silas makes for Veronica's room.
Veronica
 NPC, 1 post
 Valarez court mage
 Heir, Perriculum College
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 20:27
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"Who's there?"  Veronica lays in her bed, the curtains are drawn to provide very little light in the room.
Silas
 player, 17 posts
 Elf
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 20:50
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Acutely aware of his surroundings, Silas waits until he is confident the guard is out of earshot before saying, "Veronica, it is Silas, your cousin. I too left home and as I did, your father asked me to look in on you and send word back to him. I have heard you are not well. Please tell me what is wrong with you dear cousin. How long have you suffered from this malady?"
Veronica
 NPC, 2 posts
 Valarez court mage
 Heir, Perriculum College
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 21:35
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
You have always known Veronica to have vibrant light blue eyes, shining with the magic of her very gifted wizard parents.  As you take a closer look her eyes are pale, there is barely any life within them.  "During the grand exodus I helped mistress Kezra.  Many of us did.  We used The Mother's magic to aid us.  It drained her, and so it drained us.  All life has come from The Mother, without Her we cannot exist.  I am tired cousin.  So tired."
Silas
 player, 19 posts
 Elf
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 21:43
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"Veronica, is there anything I can do or bring you? I have been hired to make a journey to the mainland by Lt. Rast. We are after some megalomaniac there who has been fighting both the academy and the demons of Senectus. Is there a remedy for your fatigue? Anything I can bring you? Have you spoken with your parents?"

Silas is clearly concerned for his cousin's well being and tries to sense her own motivations and knowledge.
Veronica
 NPC, 3 posts
 Valarez court mage
 Heir, Perriculum College
Sun 18 Sep 2016
at 04:09
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Veronica is weak, but seems to be trying to help in any way she can.  Her answers seems straightforward.  "The clerics say rest will help, I think their wrong.  Find Kezra.  She will help you.  Wait!  The mainland?  A man fighting the wizard college.  I remember him from before the exodus.  He is not a bad man, but he will not waver from his beliefs.  Do what you must to protect the college and those inside the walls of Perriculum.  Do not underestimate that man."
Silas
 player, 20 posts
 Elf
Sun 18 Sep 2016
at 11:20
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"Thank you Veronica, I will do what I can to protect Perriculum. The way the "reaper" was described gave me much the same concern. He despises magic but uses it to serve his purposes. I was warned of my employer as well. It seems I will have to sleep with both eyes open... I will go find Kezra now, did she return with you? Does she live here in the castle as well?"

Silas is glad to see his cousin still has a sharp mind despite her fatigue. His uncle will be glad to hear of that and he might hear of it a lot sooner than he had hoped as Silas now knew he would need to contact him about this great hulking man he was about to hunt. But first Kezra, and quickly before the guard at the gate sent other guards after him...
Veronica
 NPC, 4 posts
 Valarez court mage
 Heir, Perriculum College
Sun 18 Sep 2016
at 18:29
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"She has her own home, but serves on the council."  You know of Councilwoman Kezra, nearly everyone in Valarez has.  "It will be hard to pinpoint where she is at any given time.  Good thing your cousin is a diviner."  Veronica's eyes glow much more brightly for a moment before they fade.  "I'm sorry Silas.  I am too weak."

OOC - Kezra is known as a powerful sorceress and is involved in many things throughout the city.  She never shows her face in public, Keeping it covered with a blue bandana.  There are several rumors as to why including a hideous deformity, terrifying demon teeth, and an angelic heritage.
Silas
 player, 21 posts
 Elf
Sun 18 Sep 2016
at 22:53
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
I am truly sorry you have found yourself in this condition. I will seek out Kezra today. What word would you like me to send to your parents, if any?" Silas knows his time is running out so he knows every second counts.
Veronica
 NPC, 5 posts
 Valarez court mage
 Heir, Perriculum College
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 20:44
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
"Lie.  Tell them I am fine.  They would drop everything and let the college crumble if they knew otherwise."  A slight smile graces her lips.

The sound of footsteps approaching from the hall can be heard.
Silas
 player, 23 posts
 Elf
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 00:17
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas smiled at his cousin's wit. Hearing the footsteps he considered making a break for it, but then thought back through the events that lead to here and decided sticking around and hiding would be better. He held a finger to his lips and motioned about the steps. Then he silently closed the door and looked to his cousin for a place to hide.
DM
 GM, 1815 posts
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 21:06
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Veronica points to a large armoire on the far side of the room.  Silas opens it to find mostly empty space.  Several dresses hang inside and a pair of old dusty boots sit at the bottom, unused for some time.

Give me a stealth check please.
Silas
 player, 24 posts
 Elf
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 21:09
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas quietly climbs inside, folding himself to fit and making sure he is hidden behind the few items inside.

OOC: 17:08, Today: Silas rolled 24 using 1d20+11.  Stealth.
DM
 GM, 1819 posts
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 22:59
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
The door opens slowly.  "Miss Veronica?  Is everything alright?  I thought I heard a voice."  Silas hears footsteps approach his hiding spot.  The door jiggles a bit as if someone has placed their hand on the door.

"Oh, the visions are sometimes strong.  I talk to myself at times.  I am very tired though."  She tells the guard a half-truth.

"Very sorry, Miss Veronica.  Get some rest."
  The steps move away and out into the hall before fading.


18:53, Today: DM rolled 23 using 1d20+12.  perception.
Soooo close.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:00, Tue 20 Sept 2016.

Silas
 player, 25 posts
 Elf
Wed 21 Sep 2016
at 00:14
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas waited as long as he could bear before emerging from his hiding place. He thanked his cousin and snuck out of her room. Making his way back to the entry level and the guard post as unseen as possible.

OOC: very perceptive man! Now to go find Kezra... what time of day is it?
Or maybe I didn't make it out unseen...
20:17, Today: Silas rolled 14 using 1d20+11.  Stealth.

20:17, Today: Silas rolled 19 using 1d20+10.  Perception.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:18, Wed 21 Sept 2016.

DM
 GM, 1820 posts
Thu 22 Sep 2016
at 02:27
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
Silas makes it out of the castle and back through the archway to the street.  He looks up to see the sun not quite at the apex of the sky.  Councilwoman Kezra has a home in Valarez, whether she's there right now is a gamble.

You got out fine.  Yes, in a city of literally millions of people the castle hires the very best they can find for keeping watch.

If you want to go see Kezra I'll open up her thread to you.

DM
 GM, 1840 posts
Sun 25 Sep 2016
at 18:16
LOCATION: Castle Antrim
A few days later