EVENT: O'Malley's Festival.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
Karon
 player, 157 posts
 Hobgoblin Manhunter
 AC 23 HP 43 F+6 R+8 W+3
Mon 4 Jan 2016
at 18:00
EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"The Arena?" O'Malley hears Karon mutter. "Place ought to be burned to the ground."
O'Malley
 NPC, 61 posts
 Inn Owner
 Former Adventuring Legend
Tue 5 Jan 2016
at 00:22
EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
O'Malley leaves the stage and catches up to Karon.  "No hard feelings friend.  I understand this sort of establishment can bring up images of slavery and forced combat, but I assure you my arena will have neither.  Nor did my basement back in Senectus.  Wagers on ones friends pitting themselves against one another in feats of strength, agility, and cunning were always a big draw.  And always voluntary."
Karon
 player, 159 posts
 Hobgoblin Manhunter
 AC 23 HP 43 F+6 R+8 W+3
Tue 5 Jan 2016
at 01:49
EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Karon responds "I know you aren't one of the ones who ran the Arena before. But yes, it used to be a pit where owned slaves fought for the amusement of the ruling class. Where did you think I got these marks? Birthmarks? I'll be watching the place. And remember, fully half of those running the show were never identified or caught. They might know some things about the place to which you are ignorant. Go cautiously."
O'Malley
 NPC, 62 posts
 Inn Owner
 Former Adventuring Legend
Tue 5 Jan 2016
at 04:22
EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"I actually hadn't noticed the marks.  My apologies for your hardships.  Every potential patron is good for me, come and watch.  The reason doesn't mean as much to me as the attendance."
Guuug
 player, 60 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 12:52
EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
With the riddle contest over and the Councilwoman now free of her duties for the moment, Guuug carefully shuffles up to Kezra.

"A moment in private, Councilwoman?"
Kezra Callie
 NPC, 56 posts
 council member
 Valarez
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 20:25
EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"Of course."  Kezra gracefully navigates the crowd to a small table near a food cart.  The vendor looks unimpressed that his already slow business now has someone taking up a table without buying any food.
Tamarie Silver
 proprietor, 83 posts
 Master Jeweller
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 21:36
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Darkadesh Itznogud:
Turning his attention back to Tamarie the small engineer replied: "Actually, i hadn't considered joining the Merchant's Guild. I am not exactly sure i'd consider myself a Merchant. Maybe the Craftman's Guild, if there is such a guild, but then again, as i said, i am rather new to the Town and haven't had the time to find out more about it and who does what around here."

Taking another sip from his gruit the young Engineer adjusted his clothing and said, suddenly remembering something "Isn't silver mining very intense? I mean with the dust being poisonous and all? How do you guys manage that? Some sort of breathing apparatus? I remember my father finding some silver in the copper vein once, some of the younger miners were sick for days"


"It's the same guild for both - most of the craftspeople here sell their works as well, so there's little point to having two separate guilds in such an arrangement."

She adjusts her dragon again. "A lot of mining gets intense - the dust is abominable down there. They've installed plenty of ventilation shafts and even a system that forces air to run through the mine and back out to help clean it, but the miners still need breathers since it doesn't get it all, nor does it quite reach to the deeper parts of the mine. They can't make it go further either because of the risk of cave-ins. In the old days before we had the system the shifts were short and breathing equipment was all they had. Even with the system we have now, people still get sick, but not as badly as they used to."
Darkadesh Itznogud
 player, 173 posts
 Blue Hair, Steelgrey Eyes
 CG Gnome Engineer
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 23:07
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Seemingly lost in his own though, Darkadesh replied to Tamarie:

"Uhh, you could possibly create a circulation system, if you were to bind an Air elemental in the place. It should be able to generate clean air in the lower depths and if you heat that air, it will raise up taking the noxious fumes with them."

Patting his clothes the young gnome searched for his charcoal pen, finally finding it in one of his pockets and taking out a parchment, scribbling some basic notes onto the parchment. "of course, you would have to reinforce the lower mines, as it might get a bit damp, but it might be easier to work with than the toxic fumes."

Scribbling a brief sketch of the system onto the Paper he showed it to Tamarie, to illustrate what he had in mind. The Sketch itself suggested an elevator like channel going down into what looked like mines, where an elemental, only recognizable as such by the arrow and the word elemental, would be held thus allowing the cage to be lowered as deep as one would want to, provided the shaft was deep enough.

Suddenly realizing what he had done, Darkadesh smiled a bit insecure and added "I am sorry, sometimes it gets the better of me. You said, the craftsmen guild and the merchant's guild are one and the same?", while quickly trying to stash the rough sketch away.
DM
 GM, 948 posts
Thu 7 Jan 2016
at 00:21
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Some rumblings from the crowd begin as the people start to part.  Several men in masterfully made chain armor and gloves bearing the mark of The Mother part the crowd.  Behind them walk King Elwin and Queen Mina, come to see the festival.  Queen Mina, known as a ruler of the people, waves to those in the crowd.  She even passes a copper coin to children here and there.  Unknown to the queen her good deed had already been taken by one of the merchants earlier in the evening.  that didn't stop the kids from taking the spending money.  The king kept his eyes on the queen, allowing his royal guard to keep watch for any dangers.
Vun fain
 player, 158 posts
 Kitsune Scholar
 Beware Everything!
Fri 8 Jan 2016
at 15:48
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
 Vun Fain observes his religious brethren of The Mother assist the highest of royals. The Kitsune keeps his distance to avoid being perceived as a threat, but he still watches the goings on with modest interest.
DM
 GM, 954 posts
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:20
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
The King and Queen spend about an hour mingling with the citizens.  They share a dance and then grab a few snacks from the food vendors.  They both seem to be in good spirits.  The Antrim Guard keep a vigilant watch the entire time making a permanent perimeter around the royalty.

A sudden commotion at the stage begins to draw a crowd, and a great deal of noise.  Those who head over to see what's going on spot a semi-familiar face from O'Malley's.
Kaylynn Skarsol
 NPC, 102 posts
 Your Mistress
 Your Death
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:22
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"You dare place your hands on me, mortals?  I will strip your councilman of his power and feed you to the dragons!"
Mud
 NPC, 27 posts
 council member
 Valarez
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:26
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Mud follows closely behind a half-dozen guards who are hauling Kaylynn onto the stage.  He silently chuckles to himself as she rants.  When All are up on the stage his voice carries across the crowd much like Kezra's did earlier.  "Citizens of Valarez, I have brought before you a traitor to Valarez.  Kaylynn Skarsol has been accused and convicted of high treason.  She set about a plot to murder and replace one of several council members.  Just this very night I have received approval from the council to punish Kaylynn Skarsol here in the city central."  His tone is very matter of fact which rubs the listeners the wrong way.
Kezra Callie
 NPC, 60 posts
 council member
 Valarez
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:27
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Kezra quickly makes her way to the stage.  "Why are you bringing her here?  Do you have documentation of these events?"  She gives Mud an accusing look.
Mud
 NPC, 28 posts
 council member
 Valarez
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:28
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Mud laughs.  "She wants to know why I bring Kaylynn here."  He calls to the crowd.  "Why, what festival would be complete without a public execution?"  Mud hands Kezra a few papers with seals on them.
Queen Mina
 NPC, 1 post
 Queen of Valarez
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:31
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
The queen ascends the stage.  "This can't be right."  She looks to Kezra.  After skimming through the papers Kezra frowns and nods at the Queen.  After which Queen Mina looks to her husband who gives her a nod as well.  The queen leaves the stage and leans in to her husband.  "You knew about this?"  He nods again, showing no emotion one way or the other.
DM
 GM, 955 posts
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:38
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Kaylynn is tossed to the floor of the stage by the guards who proceed to leave the stage.  Mud looks to Kezra, asking if she is ready without needing to say a word.  Years of working together may have caused a strained relationship, but they hadn't forgotten the old days.

Kaylynn rose to her feet and took a step toward Mud before both Mud and Kezra began an incantation.  Kaylynn's body was forcibly tensed.  One arm and leg was pulled in each direction and she rose a few inches of the stage floor.  The sound of twisting and wrenching metal could be hear over the gasps and hoots of the crowd until finaly the strain was too much and pieces of armor showered the crowd.  It would have included bits of entrails and gore as well if not for Kaylynn's secret.  Those who met her in O'Malley's had their suspicions confirmed as the construct was torn to pieces.  Several children in the crowd grabbed pieces of Kaylynn and began to play "swords" or catch with them.

Kezra quickly left the stage while Mud stayed to rile up the crowd.  After a few minutes O'Malley spoke up over the crowd to try and settle things down.
O'Malley
 NPC, 63 posts
 Inn Owner
 Former Adventuring Legend
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 21:39
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"Enough of this politics.  Let's get back to the dance, eh?  Oh, and before I forget.  Two days from now, all house ale at O'Malley's is on the house.  I'm expecting a large turnout of employers and employees folks.  I hope to see all you adventuring types there." 
Wyn Roth
 player, 289 posts
 1/2 Elf
 Undertaker Extraordinaire
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 22:26
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Wyn pulls up at the back of the crowd and his grin is replaced by a frown as he watches the scene unfold on the stage.  For a moment, he wonders whether there will be a confrontation between Kezra and Mud, and he curses himself for not bringing weapons and armour to the festival.  Still, he has a dagger and his spells, if it should get nasty ...

Some of the tension leaves him when the two start working together, but when he sees the method of execution he grimaces and prepares for the gouts of blood that he would expect to see splattering the crowds, but is only mildly surprised when the gears and workings of a construct fall to the ground.  For a moment he wonders whether a construct has a soul, and whether its, or perhaps her, name deserves to be memorialised - but then he puts that thought away for another day.

"Are you OK?" he asks Winnie, making sure his arm is securely around her.
Wilric Shadow-Wanderer
 player, 170 posts
 Silently Watching
 Silently Waiting...
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 22:32
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Wilric, following closely behind Wyn and Winnie, is visibly taken aback by the presence of Mud in the center of the festival, and moreso by the gruesome scene that... didn't quite play out as expected, truth be told, as mechanical bits fly about in lieu of the expected viscera.  Something, some attribute or other, about that woman struck him as odd previously, in their brief encounter in O'Malley's prior to his first job.

At the time, he'd thought little of it, but now...
Winnie
 NPC, 9 posts
 bartender
 The White Dragon
Sun 10 Jan 2016
at 04:31
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"I appreciate your concern, but if you knew half the stories I do about her you wouldn't be worried about me.  Everyone thinks Mud's the monster.  You should see Kezra's house.  I spend enough time around her, I'll be just fine with a little violence."  Winnie pulls Wyn closer nevertheless.
Wyn Roth
 player, 290 posts
 1/2 Elf
 Undertaker Extraordinaire
Sun 10 Jan 2016
at 06:32
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"Oh?  You'll have to tell me some of those stories and about her house sometime. " he says quietly and furrowing his brows slightly.  He had already started to suspect that his erstwhile employer wasn't quite as squeaky clean as she had implied, and it would be good, at some point, to get Winnie's take on things.  After all, she was family ...

"Maybe over breakfast?" he asks leaning in and speaking a bit more quietly into Winnie's ear.
Winnie
 NPC, 10 posts
 bartender
 The White Dragon
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 04:04
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
"Over breakfast at Kezra's house."  She whispers back with a devilish look in her eyes.  "I think you still owe me some dancing."  Winnie tugs on Wyn's arm trying to lead him toward the dance.
Wyn Roth
 player, 291 posts
 1/2 Elf
 Undertaker Extraordinaire
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 09:13
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
Wyn raises his eyebrows at the suggested location, but lets that slip for the time being.  However, he makes note that Winnie has access (of some sort) to her council-woman cousin's abode, and the daredevil look in her eye.  ... intersting ... he also makes a mental note to keep an eye out for other things that might be 'unusual' about the young woman.  It is that old adage - "Better to know your enemy, but better still to know those who are close to you".

But for now, it is time to go dancing, which is a lot more fun.  And available now, rather than some unspecified morning.  "Yep, lets go and dance.  No one to cheer on in competitions anyone and it looks like the show here is over. Which means we have the rest of the evening to ourselves, and we can dance all night, if we want to." although his glance implies that there are other things he wants to do aonce they have finished dancing.

"Catch you later guys." he calls to his family as he heads over to the dance with Winnie.
Berta Roth
 player, 148 posts
 Human Female (blue/black)
 Let's do it my way
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 15:02
Re: EVENT: O'Malley's Festival
As the masked woman hangs in mid-air, Berta's more than half convinced it's some sort of jape and the crowd will shortly be showered not with blood and entrails but with sweets and small wooden toys ... indeed the revelation that Kaylynn is a construct and, assumedly an actual traitor, causes the warrior-woman to raise a thoughtful brow as the shards of metal begin to fall.

"That's one way to kill the mood," Berta suggests, turning to Wyn ... then snorts and smiles as she notes her brother's attention fixed entirely upon Winnie.

She shrugs to Gedd and Wilric.  "We'll be lucky to get any work out of him tomorrow.  Though 'free drinks and chance of employment'," she echoes O'Malley's announcement.  "That's something to look forward to !"