Destination: Unknown.   Posted by StarMaster.Group: 0
Walter Zeller
 player, 469 posts
 Merchant/Noble
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 19:36
Re: Destination: Unknown
"Given the age of the vessel, it is in very good shape. We are still getting used to her and there might be some modifications that might be off the books." Walter said.  "Although, I have a funny feeling that if she could talk, none of us would have a high enough security clearance to listen to her.
Kheaiftouaw
 player, 586 posts
 Aslan outcast
Tue 23 Oct 2018
at 21:26
Re: Destination: Unknown
Surprised how smoothly this goes Khea continues to keep her mouth shut. But it also makes her suspicious. Either they are giving away the information much below its actual value or the scouts have no intention of paying.
Sharik Kaagira
 player, 321 posts
 Freelance: ex-IISS, ex-IN
 Serious about recreation
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 17:45
Re: Destination: Unknown
Sharik presented her video log as evidence for any claims made (that she could help to substantiate, of course); the diminutive operative made it known that a copy of the feed would be available as well for their own use.  Shar kept her answers short and sweet when addressed, aware that this was a debriefing and that there was a lot of ground to cover.  And even though it had probably been two decades since she'd been on active duty, old habits died hard and she fell back into the routine.  While the IISS may not be big on protocol or routine, as an information gathering service - communication and information dissemination were extremely important to them.

She only partially suppressed a smile as Walter got into the negotiations.  Shar'd never seen him work this close up and was quite impressed.  The operative-turned-dilettante had no experience really with such matters; she had no real idea where to start such a delicate discussion.  Well, that wasn't entirely true, she had ideas (lots of them, actually) and a little knowledge on the subject.  But nothing approaching the seasoned broker's level of mastery.  As with most topics, Shar had just enough knowledge regarding it to be dangerous (to herself and others).

So, she kept her mouth shut during most of the proceedings in the latter half of the meeting.

Checking the seals on her gloves and then putting her helmet back on when they decided to adjourn to the Longshot, Sharik triple-checked the diagnostics and suit integrity before joining the others.  She walked towards the back of the group watching the director carefully as they moved towards the airlock.  Maizy obviously had more information on them and their ship, as her remark about the Longshot's history attested to.  Something that she may have to look into later; the woman almost seemed to be expecting the meeting and that trouble the auburn-haired ex-operative more than a little.
Walter Zeller
 player, 471 posts
 Merchant/Noble
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 19:03
Re: Destination: Unknown
With the business done here, Walter secured his helmet and headed back to the Longshot with the others.
StarMaster
 GM, 883 posts
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 22:34
Re: Destination: Unknown
Back on the Longshot, a standard salvage claim form was available in the computer, and there was even an IISS supplementary claim form available.

After Walter filled out the form, Maizy counter-signed it for authorization and then transmitted it on her secure comm. It only took an hour for confirmation and then the funds to be transferred to the ship's account.

Maizy paid particular attention to the ship as she boarded, and commented that it was Lucky's old ship.
Walter Zeller
 player, 472 posts
 Merchant/Noble
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 01:41
Re: Destination: Unknown
While waiting for the transaction to be completed, Walter entertained Maizy, digging out some of the fine wine.

The conversation turned to Lucky and the Longshot. "For an ex-military vessel, it is in surprisingly good shape. As the former Captain, Count Cromwell, mentioned "for a 100 year old, jump converted SDB (TL-14), there is still a tremendous amount of military/intelligence grade hardware/upgrades to the ship..." Do you have any idea about them?"  he asked.
Maizy Strom
 player, 54 posts
 Outpost 7 IISS Scout
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 02:50
Re: Destination: Unknown
"I only met Lucky once, and we had some fun on Grendal," Maizy replies.

"She gave me a bit of history on the Longshot... although I don't think it was called that then. And, frankly, I was only half paying attention and thought most of it was a bit farfetched."

"You have to keep in mind that starships are built as long-term investments, whether that investment is commercial or military. In order to withstand the ravages of time and combat, they are built with far more integrity than, say, an automobile."

"As long as a ship undergoes periodic and proper maintenance, it can function for up to a thousand years. Practically, of course, that never happens."

"Generally, a ship that gets retired is done so for other reasons, usually a redesign for a new or different purpose. Sometimes, technology makes such a great leap forward that the old design can't support the new tech... well, usually not without such a tremendous overhaul that it isn't as cost effective as it is to just build a new one."

"The system defense boat is a case in point. It made sense at one point since the boat was never required to leave the system. Defending the system was it's how point for existence. Short-sightedness on the part of the Navy and the government kept them from thinking that an SDB would ever need to be moved to another system. But, that's what happened. So the jump shuttle was invented."

"The Longshot outlived its usefulness as an SDB and was retired to salvage. So, even though it wasn't wanted or needed as an SDB, it still had a hundred years or more of life in its old hull."

"Unlike the Navy, every new owner wasn't trying to reinvent the ship... they just added a tweak or a twist here and there that they could afford and suited their taste."

"If it's got secrets, I wouldn't have a clue what they are. You'd have to ask the previous owners... if any of them are still alive. I've heard that the ship has outlived nearly all of its owners. I don't know if that's a tribute to the ship or a dis on the owners."

Samantha Kilgore
 player, 442 posts
 Pilot and Security expert
 With more hidden talents
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 07:20
Re: Destination: Unknown
Sam didn't say much, but continued in her role as body guard. She did try and make a note of the details Maizy was giving about the previous owners of the Longshot and their history, as something to look into at a later date.

ooc
I'm assuming only Maizy came to the Longshot - not the other scout as well?

Walter Zeller
 player, 473 posts
 Merchant/Noble
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 09:27
Re: Destination: Unknown
"Interesting." Walter said. "So this ship has a lot of history. Kind of feels out of place for this sector, almost like an enigma. On the other hand, I do not know too many pirates that would be up to trying to tackle a SDB, even if it is now a merchant vessel. What would be a good source to find out more about her?. Was it mostly based out of Outpost or someplace else? I would not want to have customs come aboard only to find out that there was some things that should not be on here from years ago." he added.
Maizy Strom
 player, 55 posts
 Outpost 7 IISS Scout
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 18:14
Re: Destination: Unknown
Yes, only Maizy came aboard the Longshot.


"I would think any information about the ship's history... owners, refits, alterations... even where it's been... would be in the ship's log," Maizy answers. "If it's not, then it means one of the owners purged the log for whatever reason. Still, starport archives would have that information... any place that the ship has been. The archives might not have all the details--owners and captains will have their little secrets, but they should have most of them."
Sharik Kaagira
 player, 322 posts
 Freelance: ex-IISS, ex-IN
 Serious about recreation
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 21:01
Re: Destination: Unknown
Sharik watched and listened to the director for a moment as the contract was finalized.  And though she was a touch surprised by Maizy seeming familiarity with the Longshot, the diminutive ex-operative chided herself that she shouldn't have been surprised.  She smiled and brushed an errant lock of auburn hair to its spot back behind her ear.

With all of the paperwork done, Shar pulled some tumblers and a decanter of Sylean brandy from deep inside of one of the side cupboards of the common area.  "Captain." she prompted Walter, holding up the libation and glassware, "presumably, we need to 'seal this deal'..."  To her, it was more prefunctory to ask for permission.  But the forms needed to be observed.  And she did wait for more than a heartbeat before moving to distribute the hardware (to Maizy and Walter first, of course).

The cosmopolitan socialite started some idly chatter as the round was distributed.  "So, you knew Captain Seven?" Sharik asked casually, "And this ol' girl..." giving the nearest bulkhead a pat, "... when she was called the Widdershins?  How is Lucky?  Do you still keep in touch with her?"  Her head tilted slightly as the auburn-haired ex-operative contemplated for a moment, "The ship was registered as a long range explorer back then ... but not an official IISS registry, right?"  Shar sent her own agent software spiraling outwards looking for more information on the Widdershin, Lucky Seven, and their escapades (times and any references or images) even as she spoke.

She poured herself some brandy and took a sip, savoring the tang of the light blue liquid and is smooth texture.  "What kind of stories did Lucky tell you?" Sharik asked with much more than simply curiosity, "I mean, they couldn't be that wild, right?  No more wild than pyramidal alien ships with gravity drives and precisely extracted portions of lanthenum grids..."  She gave Maizy one of her more friendly, lop-sided smiles (at least that is what she hoped) to see if Strom were willing to talk a little more.  Something should work; either that or more of the brandy...



[OOC:  Hmmmm.  Anything more on the Widdershins and Lucky Seven?  Either on the net - or from Maizy?

  13:55, Today: Sharik Kaagira rolled 10 using 2d6+4 with rolls of 3,3.  Computer/Int Check: Widdershins/Lucky Seven search (Computer/1, +2 Int, +1 Expert).
  13:57, Today: Sharik Kaagira rolled 13 using 2d6+4 with rolls of 5,4.  Carouse/Soc Check: Is Maizy willing? (Carouse/3, +1 Soc).

No difficulties were harmed in the determining of these skill checks (nor were they applied).]

Maizy Strom
 player, 56 posts
 Outpost 7 IISS Scout
Thu 25 Oct 2018
at 22:41
Re: Destination: Unknown
"Widdershins? Doesn't ring a bell. Not sure Lucky ever told me the name of her ship. And I never saw it."

"We met in a starport bar. The Shenanigans, I think it was called. I was looking to blow off some steam and decided to get in the face of some Navy people. Didn't think it would escalate into a brawl. It was 7 against 1... until Lucky stepped in. We somehow prevailed... at least long enough to make our escape. We then made the rounds of all the rest of the bars. Took us three days!"

"But, no, after that month, we wound up going our separate ways. I got assigned coreward, and she was hired by a corporation to head out into the black. Last I've seen or heard of her."

Kheaiftouaw
 player, 587 posts
 Aslan outcast
Fri 26 Oct 2018
at 05:53
Re: Destination: Unknown
The longer the meeting lasted the more nervous Khea became.
She waited just outside of the room keeping herself distracted by thinking what would go wrong.

If someone of the crew leaves the room she whispers to him "She is distracting you very well, isn't she?
Can you have a look at the sensors to see if someone is trying to sneak up on us?

Walter Zeller
 player, 474 posts
 Merchant/Noble
Fri 26 Oct 2018
at 10:29
Re: Destination: Unknown
"Thank you Sharik." Walter said as he took the offered drink. "To your health." he said to the group as he took a drink, letting the drink wash down his throat.

Listening to the conversation, Walter nodded in agreement. "Sounds like we got our work cut out for us tracking down the travels of this vessel over the last century. I am sure there are some portions that will be had to find out what happened. Hum, at least if we can find some information when it first started to travel, we can find its original configuration and try tracking the changes over time. Something to add someones duties. Well, I hope that it helps the IISS and let us know if you need anything while we are in the area." he said.

With the transaction completed, Walter escorted Maizy to the airlock.
Serge Baklanov
 player, 51 posts
 Marine/Scout
Fri 26 Oct 2018
at 15:05
Re: Destination: Unknown
Serge felt relief when Walter took over negotiations, was quite taciturn during the whole conversation, and found an appropriate excuse to leave the room somwhere in the middle of talks.

In the corridor, he run into Khea.

Kheaiftouaw:
"She is distracting you very well, isn't she?
Can you have a look at the sensors to see if someone is trying to sneak up on us?


- Well, why... Sure, I can have a look. But I am sure that Vonon is on guard on the bridge, isn't he? Anyway, I was looking for him. Let's check the bridge.

Serge walks to the bridge with Khea. If there is Vonon or another operator on the bridge, Serge addresses the problem to him. If not - I guess it is ulikely - then Serge initiates quick scan himself.

Anyway, when Serge met Vonon, he asked him:
- By the way, I suppose it is time to assign my position on the ship during "all hands on deck!" time. I guess you are the one who manages roster?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:06, Fri 26 Oct 2018.

Vonon Ronkunu
 player, 384 posts
 Vargr and Spacer
 ex-Patrol Commander
Sat 27 Oct 2018
at 02:39
Re: Destination: Unknown
In reply to Serge Baklanov (msg # 538):

OOC: Yes, Vonon is standing watch on the bridge.  Even though Vonon is trying to learn how to become a Trader from Sir Walter, it just made more sense for Vonon to remain on the bridge and keep watch, this time.



Serge:
Serge walks to the bridge with Khea. Vonon is there, so Serge addresses the problem of intruders to him.


Vonon is sitting in the command seat, looking at the main viewscreen, idly cycling through various exterior shots of the handful of access hatches and airlocks that lead into the Longshot.

"Yeah, there's a battalion of Zhodani armored marines coming up through the waste tubes, right now! Hurr-hurr-hurr-hurr…" Vonon jokes, "No, Scout Baklanov, our security status is all green."

Serge:
Anyway, when Serge met Vonon, he asked him:
   "By the way, I suppose it is time to assign my position on the ship during "all hands on deck!" time. I guess you are the one who manages roster?"


"Ugh!  Yes...that paperwork is part of my job, as Executive Officer...*sigh*" Vonon growls lightly, rolling his eyes, "So, you're joining the Longshot Crew, then?  You've been separated from active Scout Service?"
Serge Baklanov
 player, 52 posts
 Marine/Scout
Sat 27 Oct 2018
at 11:55
Re: Destination: Unknown
Vonon Ronkunu:
"Yeah, there's a battalion of Zhodani armored marines coming up through the waste tubes, right now!


- At last! - shouted Serge. - Where is FGMP on this ship?!

Vonon Ronkunu:
"Ugh!  Yes...that paperwork is part of my job, as Executive Officer...*sigh*" Vonon growls lightly, rolling his eyes, "So, you're joining the Longshot Crew, then?  You've been separated from active Scout Service?"


- Yep. Yep.
Vonon Ronkunu
 player, 386 posts
 Vargr and Spacer
 ex-Patrol Commander
Sun 28 Oct 2018
at 06:12
Re: Destination: Unknown
In reply to Serge Baklanov (msg # 540):

"Okay, well, obviously you're a spacepilot," Vonon says, sitting back in the command chair, tilting his head back and closing his eyes, "and you can at least run an Astrogation computer without pressing the wrong buttons--but we can't swing an Aslan by the tail around here without hitting somebody with a little skill at piloting or astrogating."

"And, since you're a Scout, I guess it goes without saying that you've got a little skill at staying alive in planetary wildernesses.  So, Serge Baklanov, former Imperial Scout, why don't you tell me what else you can do--other than sweep floors and lift heavy objects?"

Serge Baklanov
 player, 53 posts
 Marine/Scout
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 11:03
Re: Destination: Unknown
In reply to Vonon Ronkunu (msg # 541):

- Nope, I cannot exactly lift heavy objects due to some spine damage in a mishap... long time ago. Yes, I can handle a ship and astrogation calculations, if neccessary, I even have some basic knowledge in space sciences, although I am not a specialist in all that, yet. But, when I was a marine - a space marine, actually - we had some sort of test - or rather entertainment - during the long shifts: I could fry some potatoes at 1000 km given a proper device available. And if the "potato" is 100 times bigger, then I can handle 100 times bigger distance. So, I think that during some hairy situation I will be best placed in the gun control chair. Also I am well-trained in electronics and comm systems. And explosives, as a hobby.
Vonon Ronkunu
 player, 390 posts
 Vargr and Spacer
 ex-Patrol Commander
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 08:30
Re: Destination: Unknown
In reply to Serge Baklanov (msg # 542):

"Well, I don't know if you'd like sitting in the Weapons Control seat, over there..." Vonon points over at the forwardmost console on the starboard side of the Bridge, "It's all lumpy and covered in fur, and it growls like a Vargr when you sit in my lap."

Vonon drops his lower law, exposing his canine teeth in a smile.

"I'm the Ship's Weapons Control Officer.  Pablo mans the dorsal laser turret, and Kaengarr used to man the ventral laser turret--that spot is open.  But, when we first crewed this ship, it was our group policy to place the person most skilled at a job in that position.  So we can have the computer run a comparison of your training record versus mine, and whoever has the greater Weapons, Computer and Tactics abilities can sit Weapons Control, and the other can sit ventral turret."

"As for Comms and Sensors, same thing.  Sharik currently doubles as our Astrogator and our Comms & Sensor Op.  And she's damn good at both.  We can ask her, then do the same computer comparison of skillsets.  But, I've known Sharr a long time--and I mean no insult, Serge, but I really don't think you're as good as she is."

"Hmm.  As I said, our man Pablo is Dorsal Turret Gunner, but he's also 'Shipboard Security' having been a Space Marine, himself.  Admittedly, he's from the Carillian Union, so he has an annoying habit of doing things the Solomani way, but we make allowances.  As a fellow Space Marine, maybe you could join him as Shipboard Security?"

"With Kaengarr gone, we've openings for Ventral Turret Gunner, as well as Ship's Cook.  Oh!  I'm sure she'd deny it, but we could always use an Assistant Engineering Officer to help Kheaiftoo ... Kheaiftao ... I mean, Kheaiftoobad--ah, hell with it, we just call her Khea.  She's the Aslan puttering around in engineering constantly yowling about useless Imperial Technology and how things are done better in the Hierate."

Vonon snorts a laugh, "As if.  Anyways, Serge, that's what we got.  You can hold off till you get your records from The Scouts, and we can run those computer comparisons, or you can go and pick one of those other jobs I mentioned right now, or you can even make one up yourself!  Just run it past me, so I can consult with Sir Walter, and we'll let you know."
StarMaster
 GM, 885 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 19:59
Re: Destination: Unknown
Maizy goes back to the Scout base.

Time delay of the radio transmission has passed, and the account Walter designated now has the funds transferred into it. While you were doing the negotiations and waiting, an automated system refueled the Longshot.


The sensors show nothing approaching the Scout base, although it's always possible that a ship could be approaching on silent running.
Walter Zeller
 player, 477 posts
 Merchant/Noble
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 20:45
Re: Destination: Unknown
After waving goodbye to Maizy, Walter made sure the airlock had fully cycled and locked down before calling over the speakers. "Vonon, get us off this rock and on the way to Cassandra, we got a load of cargo to get rid of. Last chance for anyone wishing to depart this vessel if you want off here on Outpost. he said.

"For those that are sticking around, there will be an all hands meeting after we enter jump space.
Vonon Ronkunu
 player, 392 posts
 Vargr and Spacer
 ex-Patrol Commander
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 04:16
Re: Destination: Unknown
In reply to Walter Zeller (msg # 545):

COMMS>>> "Aye, Sir Walter." Vonon responds over the all-ship intercom, "Starting the launch procedures now.  We should be cycled up and ready to fly by the time everyone gets to the Bridge."
Kheaiftouaw
 player, 589 posts
 Aslan outcast
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 23:30
Re: Destination: Unknown
When Walther leaves the room Khea follows him visibly nervous and nearly pushing him to go faster.
Inside the Longshot she quickly vanishes into engineering to prepare for a jump.
StarMaster
 GM, 886 posts
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 23:54
Re: Destination: Unknown
It only takes a few minutes to prep the ship for jump, and the asteroid isn't a significant mass to interfere with jump, though taking the ship away from it is still prudent.

The jump is made for Cassandra's Belt.