A Few Nights In Tanis.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
Dain Runeforger
 NPC, 311 posts
Thu 3 Dec 2015
at 17:52
A Few Nights In Tanis
Dain speaks to the rest of his table, "What about those of us without crusty beards? Hell, I guess can put some crust in mine if it's a free mug of ale... lend me some of yours?"

He jabs Oren in the side of his half plate's breastplate as he says it.
Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 233 posts
 AC 20, HP 40/28
Thu 3 Dec 2015
at 23:23
A Few Nights In Tanis
Oren snorted a laugh and grinned at his kinsman.
"If that fine young man can share drinks, I can share my crust."

He turned to toast the human at the bar.
" I'm not sure what prompted this generosity,  friend, but may the gods of luck and honor bless it!"

This message was last edited by the player at 00:04, Fri 04 Dec 2015.

Gannon Star
 player, 13 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Fri 4 Dec 2015
at 16:50
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Gannon is at first confused as the bartender returns three of the gold pieces, but realizes the confusion as the bartender finishes pouring the drinks and addresses the table of dwarves--and only that table.  Gannon stands tall and lifts his own mug as he pulls out five more gold coins to drop on the bar, proclaiming loudly with an accent that briefly betrays his Western upbringing, "Let's not forget everyone else, eh?"  He pauses for a moment to make sure the bartender is happy with the coin, before heading over to meet the table of Dwarves.  As he crosses the tavern floor and navigates between tables, he graciously welcomes any who give their thanks, including raising his mug to the dwarf sitting at the table with a few humans--all dressed to stand out from common folk.  He takes a mental note to pay them a visit soon, and arrives at the table of Dwarves with, "How are you fine, sturdy folk this night?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:56, Fri 04 Dec 2015.

teslas
 GM, 153 posts
Mon 7 Dec 2015
at 11:47
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
The bartender gives out an "oh, well alright".

"Crusty-bearded or not, we'll be bringing one around for you, courtesy of one Gannon Star."

With that, most of the bar nods and claps or raises a glass/mug/cup/goblet/bowl or whatever else it is they are pouring something into their mouth with.


There are ten dwarves seated around two tables that have been pushed together. You'd say their average age is probably somewhere around their early 50's--so fairly young for dwarven men out and about in the world. Two of them stand out as the youngest of the group, barely 40, if even, while one is clearly the most senior of the group with a long beard in braids down to his thighs.

They all appear to be unarmed apart from an odd knife or camping hatchet tucked into a belt or leather sheath, though there is a pile of a few waraxes, a warhammer, several crossbows, and a few shields in the corner of the room which very likely belong to some of them. All are wearing chainmail, though of differing quality and styles.

None appear overtly wealthy, or at least care to express the fact that they are. The two younger ones and a few others appear to perhaps have a rather humble livelihood.

There are three other dwarves with the "PC party" (Dain/Oren/Tybalt), and then two other random ones seated in the room, to be clear (fifteen were mentioned in an earlier post).


Most of them nod as Gannon walks over, and one stands as he approaches, hand outstretched. "Quite alright, and making our way toward better.

Star, is it?

And are you being friendly for its own sake, or did one of our two fine lasses here catch your eye?
"

The group rumbles with laughter, with the exception of the two younger dwarven men. One looks like he's trying to appreciate the joke, the other one replies, [Language unknown:  "Mopatr and ure ca ble ers urnind ng red ulch u ilher Estectstr ionncetho! Cawhe toioai, seun comat u yinho."]

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:00, Mon 07 Dec 2015.

Gannon Star
 player, 15 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Thu 10 Dec 2015
at 23:09
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
"Yes, Gannon Star, travelling Knight--always glad to help make things better!"  He takes the dwarf's extended hand and shakes it firmly, clapping it briefly with his free hand as they shake.  He furrows his brow in a little confusion at the dwarf's joke, but after detecting the youngest of them didn't find it funny he decides to move along.  "The bartender seems to think you are men of strong arms and brave hearts, and I'm looking for a few of such.  People are calling for something to be done about the rising goblin threat, and the city doesn't seem to be acting.  I'm putting together a force to strike them at their heart; for glory, coin, and the simple pleasure of ridding the lands of some goblins!"  Gannon finishes off speaking with his voice falling to a gruff tone, emphasizing the last bit to hopefully bait the Dwarves into some form of hurrah.

18:08, Today: Gannon Star rolled 25 using 1d20+17.  Diplomacy.
teslas
 GM, 157 posts
Mon 14 Dec 2015
at 11:24
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
The hurrah does not follow, but Gannon can tell he's definitely gotten the attention of most of them.

Questions arise from three different men, and a chair is pulled up to the table and space made for Gannon:

"What kind of force do you have in mind, or do you already have?

How many goblins?

Are we being chartered?
" (by an organization, or city, or kingdom, or not at all?)
Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 237 posts
 AC 20, HP 40/28
Mon 14 Dec 2015
at 11:53
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Oren raised an eyebrow,  obviously intrigued as well.
" How much room do ya have in this get together of yers?"
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 316 posts
Wed 16 Dec 2015
at 18:36
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Lenny glanced about at the interest, and ducked his head to speak quietly at the table.  "We needs t' be lookin' into da other pieces o'dis barrier thing, but dat's up in da air.  We might want t' talk t' this fella about clearin' the gobbos from da region, if'n we're wantin' to keep our keep outta der grubby paws.

"If we can figure where t'go fer da scroll pieces, we can direct the huntin' dat direction, and kill two pigeons wid one stone."
Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 238 posts
 AC 20, HP 40/28
Thu 17 Dec 2015
at 03:27
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
In reply to Lenny Quickshade (msg # 26):

Oren nodded with wry smile.
"Hmmmm...I DO like killing birds."
He flashed a playful grin to show he was joking.
"That's a good idea, certainly."
Gannon Star
 player, 18 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Sat 19 Dec 2015
at 00:41
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Gannon graciously accepts the chair, spinning it around so he can mount it backwards.  He takes a moment to tally with his fingers before answering, "We're fifteen strong now.  Mostly confident young humans, but a few guardsmen as well, an impressive Half-Orc by the name of Gert-Jan, and myself."  Gannon grins at the dwarf inquiring from the other table and adds, "I would take the whole city against the goblins if I could inspire it, so there's room for more, but more importantly," Gannon looks about at everyone listening as he continues, "There's need for some strong folk who can take charge of a unit."

He continues to the next question after a pause, "There's enough of them to be disrupting the caravans of good folk and that I would hear about it cities away, though maybe not enough for the powers that be to be doing anything about it.  I have a line on a good scout from the region who could tell us more, or find it out as we move."  The knight takes a drink from his mug before adding, "And there is no charter.  I was sought out by some good folk for my reputation, and have taken up the cause.  And with my lands taken from me, I don't have the funds to pay for more than a few rounds--but the goblins have be terrorizing the caravans for a time and I'd stake my good name on them having riches to be reclaimed." He takes another drink and adds with a grin, "Not to mention the prospects that come up after coming back a hero."
Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 239 posts
 AC 20, HP 40/28
Sat 19 Dec 2015
at 09:08
I'll drink to that
The scruffy dwarf nodded slowly.
" Sometimes a good fight is worth its weight in gold.  I'm in. "
teslas
 GM, 168 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 13:32
I'll drink to that
One of the dwarves that has yet to speak up at the table chimes in. "Gert-Jan. That smelly, drunken, half-green, smelly bastard? I don't like him, but if we're cutting through goblins there's only a very short list of people in Tanis I'd rather have around over him."

There's some mumbling and talking between pairs of dwarves.
Comment to those who can understand: [Language unknown:  Ta ardpr urelesort whitheset encearsan be tinthenti'wilbut arehatdaycom, t undli hatsa arutaiei, oun and ndlar dineenate o res errino camali ec naout. Seticaerentihis venallset menectson, of adelpa ekng ntonus mi stito.]

After a few moments of rabble, five dwarves stand up. The two young ones, the one that originally spoke to Gannon as he walked over, and two others. The other five, including the older dwarf, nod respectfully, but do not stand.


The ones standing speak their names, then walk over to shake Gannon's hand, one by one.


"Tomur Thrancrack" says the first, one of the two young ones, perhaps a little too proudly.

"Anvo Khorgirn" says the talkative one. Shaking Gannon's hand with a squint for a little extra time, "I have got half a year before I'm due back, hopefully we can get ourselves killed or made rich before then."

And the three others, the middle of which being the other young dwarf, each take their turn. "Barur Kazabor". "Gladzin Earthenhall". "Thirin Gurmek".


When Oren says that he's in, mugs are raised into the air toward the table of the party.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:53, Wed 06 Jan 2016.

Tybalt Runeforger
 NPC, 596 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 13:35
I'll drink to that
Tybalt shifts in his chair a bit.

"Indeed, this sounds as something of a good idea if we wish to keep Mao Themar, and travel to it, in a useful state.

I would only request that we delay, Oren, until we speak to Guldan.
"

(DM Meta info: This will be tomorrow, but Tybalt does not know this.)

This message was last edited by the player at 13:51, Wed 06 Jan 2016.

Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 243 posts
 AC 20, HP 40/28
Fri 8 Jan 2016
at 07:51
I'll drink to that
In reply to Tybalt Runeforger (msg # 31):

Oren nodded to his kinsman, then looked to the human nobleman questioningly.
" I'm Oren, priest of Hanseath the Berserker, and my friends and I might have many valuable skills to lend to your cause.  We've got some urgent business in town, though,  that might take a few days to finish.  Am I right to assume that it'll take that long to get your expedition organized and ready to go?"
Gannon Star
 player, 19 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Sat 9 Jan 2016
at 03:27
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
"Tomur, Anvo, Barur, Gladzin, Thirin; Glad to have you with us!  And I'd much prefer rich!"  Gannon gladly shakes the Dwarven hands as they come, and turns to Oren and his table as the dwarf introduces himself, "Well met, Oren!  A priest of Hanseath is always a great boon!  And I'm certain our endeavor would be greatly aided by you Sirs ... and Lady."  The knight bows to the others at the table, and lets slip a slight, fleeting wink to the young mage.  Then, to answer Oren's question for all to hear, Gannon announces aloud, "There's still logistics to arrange and paperwork to handle, but I will leave word with the barkeep tomorrow night as to when and where we will meet to embark."  The fair man then reaches into a pouch to fish out a silver piece and toss it to the band, requesting, "A battle hymn!"
teslas
 GM, 170 posts
Sun 10 Jan 2016
at 07:54
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
The gnome begins pounding on the drums in a rhythmic fashion even before the coin lands in the outstretched hand of one of the two halfling string instrumentalists. It's an old dwarven tune the halflings had re-purposed over a hundred years ago, originally made famous for halflings in the region for their great defensive campaign against two encroaching armies of hobgoblins while their elven allies were occupied on another front.

Most of the halflings in the bar pound their feet upon the floor in tempo to the marching beat, though, true to halfling nature, the song has twice as much to say about the after-battle feasts as it does any fighting.


With that, we'll begin the next thread. If you have any further business to chit-chat about here, with NPCs or players, please do. This thread will remain open.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:36, Sun 10 Jan 2016.

teslas
 GM, 171 posts
Sun 10 Jan 2016
at 08:00
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Gannon and Oren have received 110 experience points for their time at the inn this evening.

Lenny another 75.

Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 245 posts
 AC 20, HP 40/28
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 09:03
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Oren leads the group in a few (badly) sung dwarven war songs/drinking songs (by the end of the evening he got them a bit confused).
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 320 posts
Mon 11 Jan 2016
at 20:42
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Lenny, developing a head-ache from the more powerful pounding songs, excused himself to tend to his slightly tipsy sister, who, unfortunately, required an early evening, as little could venture through her mind and fingers.

Sneezing as he went upstairs, he sighed at being sick, and snuck back downstairs after stowing away Jewels, snagged a big mug of hot water, and used the family trade secret cold remover of two parts garlic, to two scoops honey, to one part hot sauce.  Whether it worked, or no one wanted to admit being sick, colds in the Dontarrio family were short.
Gannon Star
 player, 21 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Thu 21 Jan 2016
at 22:18
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Sir Gannon continues carousing with the Dwarves for a few hours, seeming quite at home in a barroom, all the while sharing impressive, and often comical, tales of his adventuring life and subtly encouraging those present to bring along any others worth their salt.  As everyone begins to turn in for the night, the knight returns to the barkeep to discuss the matter of a fine Halfling guide.
teslas
 GM, 202 posts
Fri 22 Jan 2016
at 21:01
10:10pm, [Date System TBD]
Let's handle this in inline PMs, unless anyone from the PC party would be trying to move closer or listen in. (If so, let me know, and of course it goes without saying it would likely be somewhat obvious to both the bartender and Gannon.)
teslas
 GM, 203 posts
Fri 22 Jan 2016
at 21:06
1:15am, Day 4, Month 4, 1842 A.Y.R.1
With the band still playing, Gannon makes his way back over to the bartender, who is busy washing out mugs and washing off plates in a big metal basin.

The bartender speaks, but with the drunken ruckus and music still going strong, it's nearly impossible to make out from more than ten feet away.

This message was last updated by the GM at 21:07, Fri 22 Jan 2016.

Gannon Star
 player, 22 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Tue 26 Jan 2016
at 23:52
1:15am, Day 4, Month 4, 1842 A.Y.R.1
Gannon smiles and speaks with the barkeep,

This message was last edited by the player at 23:52, Tue 26 Jan 2016.

teslas
 GM, 223 posts
Wed 17 Feb 2016
at 17:32
1:17am, Day 4, Month 4, 1842 A.Y.R.1
The halfling leans in a bit closer, and begins explaining something for a minute,

He leans back out going over a mental checklist in his head while taking a sip out of a mug he's got on the counter beside the wash basin, then leans back in as he remembers something."

This message was last updated by the GM at 17:32, Wed 17 Feb 2016.

Gannon Star
 player, 23 posts
 Hero of the People
 Knight Extraordinaire
Wed 17 Feb 2016
at 18:14
1:17am, Day 4, Month 4, 1842 A.Y.R.1
Gannon looks a little concerned as he continues to speak with the barkeep,