Tanis to Mao Themar.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 21 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 08:36
Tanis to Mao Themar
The group consisted of Tybalt, Dain, Oren, Shimmerhands, Ceradae, and Yulina.  The group had left Tanis together in search of the ruins of Mao Themar.  Tybalt and Dain had talked to a guide and thought they might know the way.  Ceradae had made a rough map from the description.  The ruins were about three and half days journey away from Tanis through some savannah and brushlands.  The group purchased two mules and loaded them with any supplies that they felt they might need.

A day into the journey, Yulina's brother Lenny, a scout, had caught up with the group.  After a brief heated exchange in somewhat private setting about going home.  Lenny announced he would be accompanying the group, Yulina seemed to encourage the idea, despite the unhappy reunion.  Tybalt did what he could to make Lenny feel welcome, but Lenny seemed a bit aloof of the paladin's efforts.

After travelling with the group for a couple of days, the group ironed out the major differences in the group.  Lenny proved extremely valuable on a couple of occasions, steering the group clear from a patch of giant carnivorous plants and helping the group find clean drinking water.

The party was setting up camp the third night when Lenny returned unhappy from a perimeter check.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 21:24, Tue 13 Oct 2015.

Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 18 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 10:25
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"What be troublin' ya Lenny? Somethin' seem ta be off or somethin'" Dain asks worriedly.
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 12 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 11:37
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Lenny nods as he quickly strides over to the camp fire that was just beginning to find purchase.  With haste he began to smother the flames with dirt as he looked back over his shoulder at the group.

"There are eight gnolls fairly close.  From their arms and armor it looks like a scouting party for a larger force.  They don't seem to have picked up our scent yet.  I can try to lead you around them but their senses are pretty sharp. If we are going to choose stealth then I'd suggest that those of us with bulky armor keep it off so you don't sound like an avalanche crashing through the forest while the rest of us are on our tip-toes.

Anther option would be to set up an ambush of our own. Perhaps try to take a prisoner for us to question.  A gnoll may know exactly where these ruins are and would be quick to speak if he'd just become a survivor of a successful ambush."


Then looking over at the paladin he added, "Or, we can just walk up to them and invite them over for tea and ask them politely, giving them the benefit of the doubt."  By the dry look on his face it was obvious that the last suggestion was clearly jest.

Quickshade stood up from the fire and faced the other adventurers as he brushed the dust from his hands.  Lenny raised his brow and looked to his sister, Yulina. "Jewels, what do you think?"
Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 19 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 12:08
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Dain pulls out his heavy crossbow and begins cranking the 'string' back and then loads a bolt in place. "Holy warriors ain't stupid Lenny. Fair and good is one thing, though fair ain't necessary even fer them, but evil is evil."
Yulina Dontarrio
 human wizard, 1 post
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 12:33
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"Lenny, I don't think this mission can work on the premise of stealth.  It might for you, but not for this group.  I think more suited is careful timing and deliberate strikes.  Although I can't deny that sneaking won't be part of it, I just don't think it should be the default plan.  I don't think it'll work on the gnolls.  They are too good at tracking." Yulina asserted her view.
Tybalt Runeforger
 dwarven paladin, 1 post
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 12:35
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"It would be for ale, not tea" the paladin muttered mainly to his kin. "What kind of a self respecting dwarf serves tea?"
Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 5 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 17:43
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
At the mention of Gnolls, Oren visibly perked up. drawing his sword, he set it across his knees, listening to the others talk about what they wanted to do. Destroy them. Amushes are coward's combat, he offered.

Generally, he hadn't expected to find himself agreeing with the paladin, but the man had a point. Tea? What was the human thinking?
Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 20 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 17:48
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"If'n we can ambush 'em, I say we do. There be enough of 'em ta fight fair when the first wave goes down."
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 14 posts
Mon 11 Aug 2014
at 19:30
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Oren:
Destroy them. Amushes are coward's combat

"Yeah. What Dain said.  Not usin your talents just so you can play nice with dog-faced mongrels would be ignorant.  If you want to be all gentleman-like with the way you challenge some stinkin gnolls then be my guest.  Personally, I plan on putting an arrow in their ear-hole before I introduce myself.  To me, that usin smarts.  It ain't bein yellow."

Lenny looked around at the group. "Personally I think me an Dain should sneak around wide and come at em' from their rear.  We'll squish the mutts between our two groups.  When Dain and I are in position I'll mimic the bird call of the eastern thrush.  Ceradae should recognize it.  When you hear it then whistle the call back."

Just to be sure, the scout quietly whistles/mimics the call for everyone to hear. "Those types of birds ain't from these parts so if you hear it, it's me.  We all attack after the count of three once the bird call is repeated back to me.  Anyone gottsa better idea?"

(OOC: I'm assuming that Dain is a rogue and is stealthy even though his tag still says fighter.  I'm not sure if you want a skill roll for knowing the bird or what it sounds like. ??? I can Take-10 on either Know:Nature or Survival and either score would be at least 20.)

This message was last edited by the player at 19:32, Mon 11 Aug 2014.

Shimmerhand
 gnome sorcerer, 6 posts
Tue 12 Aug 2014
at 23:22
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Shimmerhand smiled at the various ideas of how to engange the gnolls. "I might be able to help with an ambush. I've got a little skill that should misdirect them. It's kind of like throwing one's voice but it sounds more like 4 voices at once." Giving a shrug, he continued, "Might be able to lure them where we want..."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:01, Wed 13 Aug 2014.

Tybalt Runeforger
 dwarven paladin, 2 posts
Wed 13 Aug 2014
at 03:38
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Tybalt seems to be okay with the plan.  His hardened dwarven features reveal nothing as to his thoughts.  Just a nod here and there.
Yulina Dontarrio
 human wizard, 2 posts
Wed 13 Aug 2014
at 03:40
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"What kind of magic support are you guys looking at?  Anything special or just the usual ranged stuff?" Yulina asked Lenny who seemed to be taking charge of the strategy.
Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 22 posts
Wed 13 Aug 2014
at 15:26
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"In case we have ta fight a large party, let's get these eight quick and quiet like. They smell good like all mutts, so we has ta be downwind of 'em." Dain then wets his finger and holds it up to see which way the wind is blowing. When done he points the way the wind is blowing. "We gets 'em from this side so's they don' smell us but we can smell them mangy curs, loose arrows and such ta drop them quick, then fall on 'em. Make sure none gets away ta warn the others!"
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 17 posts
Wed 13 Aug 2014
at 16:07
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
"True enough.  Alright, lets not worry about circling around then.  We'll split inta two groups.  Oren, myself, and Yulina in one group an' Tybalt, Dain, and Shimmerhand in the other.  We'll spread out enough so that there's a large gap between us but not too far apart.  We'll want both parties ta stay downwind.

At that point we can either have Shims cast that spell ta throw his voice so they charge between us or I can walk up into their sight 'accidentally' and then 'panic' an' run away from them.  If they think I'm a woodsman by himself they won't be thinkin that they need to run back an' get help.  Once they're on my heels I can lead him right into the middle of us.

As far as how to attack I'd say the usual ranged stuff will be good.  Although if I'm fixing to run, a haste spell would be nice."

Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 8 posts
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 04:17
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
I'll have to charge. I have no ranged weapon, Oren offered. He couldn't find fault with the plan otherwise, even though it was an ambush. It was sound, and likely to work.
Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 23 posts
Thu 14 Aug 2014
at 11:15
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Dain nods to Oren.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:16, Thu 14 Aug 2014.

DM
 GM, 24 posts
Fri 15 Aug 2014
at 02:00
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
The party agrees to the ambush and begins preparations.  After securing the mules, Lenny leads the group to a spot near the gnoll encampment.  With only a brief glance at the gnolls, it seems they are being amused by something in the middle of them and their wild laughter can be heard from some distance.  They have a rather sizable bonfire as well.

Lenny's move may take him to an advanced position.  (To Lenny: you can pick a spot anywhere you want in the columns W-f)

Dain takes a back position and can choose a starting spot Z-f.

I will place your teammates in an adjacent space unless they have a preference of where they are.

In addition to reporting your locations in the next post (or accepting a default spot), please roll initiative and any skill checks (spot, listen, move quietly, hide, etc.) you'd like to perform before the gnolls have a chance to discover your group.


   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
1 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |X|X|X| | | | | | | | | | | |X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
2 |W| | | | | |X|X|X| | | | | | | |X| | | | | | | | | | | | |X|X| |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
3 |W|W| | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | |X| | | | | | | | | | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
4 |W|W| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | | | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
5 |W|W|W| | | | | | | | |X| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | | | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
6 |W|W|W| |g|g| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |X| | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
7 |W|W| |g| |g| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |X|X|X| | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
8 |W|W|W| |g| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | |X| | | | | |x|X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
9 |W|W| | | | |f|g| |X|X| | | |X|X| | | | | | |X|X|X|X| | | |X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
10|W| | | | |g| |g| |X|X|X| | | | | | | | |X|X|X|X| | | | | |X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

D - Dain             ^
O - Oren             I
T - Tybalt           I
Y - Yullina         Wind direction
L - Lenny
S - Shimmerhands
W - Water
g - gnoll
f - camp fire
X - heavy brush (provides cover counts as rough terrain)

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:01, Fri 15 Aug 2014.

Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 24 posts
Fri 15 Aug 2014
at 02:25
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Dain will wait at a-10

22:24, Today: Dain Runeforger rolled 14 using 1d20+3. Initiative.
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 18 posts
Fri 15 Aug 2014
at 02:28
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Lenny quickly sneaks forward, just a bit ahead of the group (W6).  When he sees the shadowy figures of the gnolls by the fire and waterside he stops and signals to the two groups behind him.  With a few quick hand signals and gestures he signs for the groups to split and hide behind the brush on either side of the main pathway (W5 area & X8 area); Oren & his sister to the north and the other three to the south of the trail.

"I will sneak forward just a few feet and try to surprise them then lead them back in between the group.  Do try to make that first volley count.  They are around a campfire so the darkness of the forest will be our alley right now.", Lenny whispers back to the group.

21:23, Today: Lenny Quickshade rolled 18 using 1d20+4. Initiative.
21:18, Today: Lenny Quickshade rolled 17,26 using d20+7,d20+7. Hide/Move Silently.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:03, Mon 18 Aug 2014.

Oren the Brave
 dwarf cleric, 9 posts
Fri 15 Aug 2014
at 07:22
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Oren got in position and waited quietly for everyone to open fire.

OOC: Default position.
02:22, Today: Oren the Brave rolled 20 using 1d20. Initiative.

Shimmerhand
 gnome sorcerer, 7 posts
Sat 16 Aug 2014
at 23:43
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Shimmerhand takes his place and gets ready for the ambush when he sees the first of the gnoll.

19:43, Today: Shimmerhand rolled 10 using 1d20+3. Initiative.
Readied action: Ray of Frost

DM
 GM, 25 posts
Sun 17 Aug 2014
at 09:28
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
The gnolls have not detected the group and continue to enjoy their past time, whatever it might be.

   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
1 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |X|X|X| | | | | | | | | | | |X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
2 |W| | | | | |X|X|X| | | | | | | |X| | | | | | | | | | | | |X|X| |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
3 |W|W| | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | |X| | | | | | | | | | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
4 |W|W| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | | | | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
5 |W|W|W| | | | | | | | |X| | | | | | | | |X|X|Y| | | | | | | | | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
6 |W|W|W| |g|g| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |L| | | | | | |X| | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
7 |W|W| |g| |g| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |X|X|X| | |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
8 |W|W|W| |g| | | | | | | | |X|X| | | | | | | |X|O| | | | |x|X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
9 |W|W| | | | |f|g| |X|X| | | |X|X| | | | | | |X|X|X|X| |T| |X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
10|W| | | | |g| |g| |X|X|X| | | | | | | | |X|X|X|X| | |D|S| |X|X|X|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

D - Dain             ^
O - Oren             I
T - Tybalt           I
Y - Yullina         Wind direction
L - Lenny
S - Shimmerhands
W - Water
g - gnoll
f - camp fire
X - heavy brush (provides cover counts as rough terrain)

Go ahead and post actions.  We will do heroes simultaneous and monsters simultaneous.  I will write into the narrative the sequence based on initiative, and if another PC makes your action some how invalid, I'll let you know and ask you to edit your post.  It should be pretty rare that I ask you to edit a post.
Dain Runeforger
 dwarf fighter, 25 posts
Sun 17 Aug 2014
at 12:02
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Dain will delay his readied action until the gnolls advance to within sight.
Lenny Quickshade
 human scout, 22 posts
Mon 18 Aug 2014
at 18:22
Re: Tanis to Mao Themar
Once he sees that everyone is ready, Lenny sneaks forward about twenty-five feet (to R6).  Crouching down he held his breath.  He had confidence in his stealthy step but was a bit nervous about being exposed.  He was relying on the bright flames of the campfire and the relative darkness of his position, sixty feet away, to hide him more than any cover that might be around.

Readying his bow, he waited to see if he was noticed.


13:10, Today: Lenny Quickshade rolled 10,22 using d20+7,d20+7. Hide/Move Silently to R6.

(OOC: DM, if I'm noticed I'll go ahead and fire and begin my run back to the party next round with the gnolls in pursuit.  If I'm NOT noticed then I'll wait a round and then stand up and 'accidentally' alert the gnolls, fire a shot, and then run.  Once I know if they see me I'll post again.)