Mission 1: Lines of Communication.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Abaxtar Quartermotte
 player, 135 posts
 Got a problem?
 I've got a musket.
Mon 29 Jun 2015
at 18:36
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
After getting his rewards and finishing his (lengthy) debriefing with the dwarves, Abaxtar heads back to the Black Powder Consortium.  His pouch full of gold, he immediately reclaims a work space and sets to work on Bianca, intent on ironing out a few kinks in the gun's workings before reporting the next day.  As the gnome works, rumors start to buzz around the workshop about the creatures encountered in the mine.  Abaxtar keeps his head down and concentrates on his work, unsure if he'd be able to resist slipping some secret.  Some of the other apprentices prod him for information, but he manages to neatly evade the question.  Later in the day, he tours the workshop to trade for some completed ammunition and alchemical bullets, and is unable to get away without saying anything to the masters of the Black Powder Consortium.  He tries to tell as little as possible, limiting his retelling of the incident mostly to "goblins and other under-folk", though the exuberant gnome accidentally lets slip a few confirming details regarding the threats he faced below the city and in Copperton.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 320 posts
Mon 29 Jun 2015
at 18:50
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The masters are glad to have someone who knows anything within the fold, and eagerly absorb the tidbits of information that Abaxtar shares or lets slip.
Klack Copperwise
 player, 309 posts
 Wizard/Druid
 HP 13/13
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 02:24
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Klack goes back to his father's kennel. The time he spent in the tunnels changed him. It made Klack feel closer to his dogs, animals in general. He needed to stay away from people for a while to truly understand what was happening. Before taking some rest, Klack made sure Yoyo and Hoho are taken care of and fed. The dogs performed admirably and likely saved lives. Klack takes care of Yohoo as well. The little fella was so adorable, just like a pet rock, but it moved as well. Lastly Klack took the time to transcribe the spell he never did use "Waste not, want not."

After resting he found his perspective ... had expanded in interesting ways.
Esko Vladikov
 player, 130 posts
 Rogue
 HP: 7/10
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 03:39
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Esko went home, a modest two-room apartment in a complex hastily constructed to deal with refugees from below. Every corner was filled with odds and ends that either once had a use and/or would have a use sometime in the future. He did a thorough inventory of his gear, thought about what he needed and decided to upgrade his hammer. Though it did not get nearly enough use--his own personal failing and flailing--one with better balance would be worth the expense. He spent some hours at the communal hall, sharing drinks and stories with the out-of-work and down-and-out miners, which included some of his immediate family. When asked where he had been, the simply said, "Copperton. It has been subjugated, but its people endure." He made no mention of the duergar.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 322 posts
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 17:35
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
When Klack returns to the Three Bone Kennels, he is suprised to see a strange human working there, preparing food for the dogs. It takes him a moment to recognize him as the man who, hours before, he had sent here with a note to the foreman.

While the man's clothes are clearly inexpensive, they are no longer in tatters, and while he is still thin and drawn, it's clear he's had a bath and some food. While the hours that have passed have not been enough to effect any sort of complete transmogrification, those hours for Klack have been spent under very strange circumstances and it takes him a minute to complete the connection.

While the man looks a little bemused, seeing Klack wakes instant recognition in his eyes, and he immediately extends a hand. "I"m sorry I didn't take the time to introduce myself properly earlier. I remember little enough of the past weeks, it is as if everything has been in fog inside my head. But I do remember the kindness shown by you and your friends. A silver, a gold, and a job. It was as if each of you competed to be more charitable than the last."

"I am Tomas, one-time acolyte of Fharlanghn. Now, I guess, kennelhand to your family. I'll not stop thanking you for your charity any time soon. I fear I had become pretty far gone."

Dungeon Master
 GM, 323 posts
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 18:00
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The miners, most aware of Esko's personal trials and travails, are glad to see you well, especially with some of their companions lost to the mine in past weeks. As the hours pass, it becomes clear that Esko will not need to mention the duergar for them to be a subject of conversation. Retellings of certain old childrens' tales abound, and old dwarves tell stories about fairly questionable incidents from the past where they claim to have seen a dark dwarf skulking in the shadows.

In the lull between conversations, one of the dwarven entertainers, a drummer, who have been providing music for the hall approaches Esko to speak. He looks at Esko shrewdly and says "I am Alix. You're not as easy with these tales as some of the others here, I see. You need tell me nothing, but I can put two and two together, and when the duergar are mentioned, the lively side of your face goes near as expressionless as the other. You've seen something, and recently too, by the other parts of your tale."

"I'll tell you something I'd tell few others. I have sure knowledge that when it comes to the tales of the duergar, not all stories are fanciful."

Khaz
 player, 170 posts
 My kin can move mountains
 The Axe of Moradin
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 18:18
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The Prince Under the Mountain returned to his family's home.  He returned quietly, not wanting to spread bad cheer to any in the household.  Enough meetings were held, that if his father needed more information, he would surely pay a visit.  Instead, Khaz began checking his gear for any signs of wear and tear, ensuring that all was in place.  He then began sharpening his axe to a keenness which would likely be necessary in the near future.  Finally, he began practicing with his axe, experimenting with how to better use his weapon, based upon the experiences he had acquired on this last venture into the Deep.
Barli Grandforge
 player, 112 posts
 Channels Left : 4
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 18:22
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Barli went to the temple and sat in silence for a fee hours. He prayed for those who had perished as well as for those who still lived in Copperton. He was curious what happened to the dwarves who had left him in the control room and whether they had made it back to Deepdelve and decided to ask around about them once his prayer was finished.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 324 posts
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 19:01
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Alas, with the sudden eruption of activity and the crisis in the city, the Prince-Governor is too busy for more than a quick word with his son. This he expresses with a tight handclasp and a murmured "Good Work!" between urgent meetings about the cities' survival.

However, shortly after Khaz returns to his quarters, a knock comes at his door, and Dorel, one of the Prince-Governor's oldest advisors, and a dwarf who had a substantial hand in raising Khaz, sticks his head in. "Khaz," he says, and gives him a brief, but heartfelt embrace.

"Your father does not show it, but he is worried for your sake. He had hoped to keep you safe at his side while he managed the city, but with the knowledge you have brought back, it seems likely that Defender Wendt will need to issue orders that put your life at risk. I urge you to exercise due caution, while I know that you have been battle-tested, those have been but skirmishes, and I fear that what lies ahead is something more akin to war. We will need every axe; do not spend your life foolishly."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:02, Tue 30 June 2015.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 325 posts
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 19:50
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
It doesn't take long to discover that Ingar and Flower, Barli's two companions that went in search of aid, do not appear to have made it to the surface city. They or their bodies, must still lie somewhere in the mines below. The families beseech Barli and Torag's aid in finding and rescuing their loved ones.
Khaz
 player, 172 posts
 My kin can move mountains
 The Axe of Moradin
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 20:32
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
"Thank you, Dorel, for everything, including your words of wisdom and the long years of service you have provided to my father." 

"Know that I will not spend away my life needlessly.  You are right: we will need every axe.  The danger is ever greater than I could possibly have imagined just a short while ago."

Esko Vladikov
 player, 132 posts
 Rogue
 HP: 7/10
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 21:25
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Esko had an interesting conversation with Alix, confirming the tales. "Wish I'd know that sooner... would have brought you mouthfuls." He finished his ale and spun the cup on the table.  Esko left after leaving the drummer a tip for his talents.

He took a detour back to the prison where they had dropped off the duergar. He looked for one of the guards that had helped him and Khaz earlier. "I need a favor. Can you get me a couple of teeth from the prisoners we brought here earlier?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 327 posts
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 21:59
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The dwarven guard at the gate to the prison looks at Esko somewhat incredulously. "Wait, you want me to beat the prisoner until he loses teeth? Or pull them out with a pliers?" He shakes his head. "We don't torture prisoners here. Not without a direct order from the Prince-Governor, which I don't think he'll give."
Esko Vladikov
 player, 133 posts
 Rogue
 HP: 7/10
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 22:56
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Esko furrowed his brow. "I'm not suggesting any such thing. You think I'm a barbarian? What does it say about you to jump to such a conclusion? Perhaps we could bargain with them. I am not without funds, but coin is not what they need."
Klack Copperwise
 player, 312 posts
 Wizard/Druid
 HP 13/13
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 01:01
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
In reply to Thomas (msg # 677):

"Ya, you can stay here are long as you want. We need the help, and you need a place to find yourself again. I will take care of the task if I can. If not it will be passed to someone who can." The man certainly had turned around. Klack felt vindicated in his actions.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 328 posts
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 04:35
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The guard relaxes fractionally and says "What do you think you can offer them that would make one sell his teeth?" He pauses and shakes his head. "Whatever, it doesn't matter. I know you were one of the prince's party. The ones that brought 'em in. I suppose if you wanted to do something untoward, you had plenty of time."

He raps on the door and says "Opal, someone to see the special prisoners."

The door opens to reveal a very stocky female dwarf. Her right arm ends shortly below the elbow, replaced by a prosthetic made of steel and brass. She grunts when she sees Esko, and leads him into the prison.

A few minutes later, both Esko and Opal are standing outside a cell that contains a lone duergar. The duergar looks up and his eyes narrow as he recognizes Esko.

Opal steps to one side, but definitely not out of earshot.
Esko Vladikov
 player, 134 posts
 Rogue
 HP: 7/10
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 23:10
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Esko nodded to Opal and would have smiled if it was something that he did.

He walked up to the cell and said plainly, "Your treatment here will be based on your cooperation. I am prepared to make your stay more agreeable and provide perks and comfort you would not get otherwise. In exchange, I need two of your teeth." He stared blankly for a few moments to let the prisoner respond.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 330 posts
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 23:15
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The duergar stares at you, his surprise evident even through his hate.

I think this is a Bluff check, since the prison guards would probably resist your attempts to make his stay more pleasant in any material way. If you think another social skill (Diplo or Intimidate) applies, make a case for it. Whichever way you go, gimme an appropriate roll.
Barli Grandforge
 player, 114 posts
 Channels Left : 4
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 23:29
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Barli having left the temple with their healing wand in tow looks for Khaz. Whenever he manages to find the prince he speaks of an offer made to him by one of the elders "When you found me in the mine I had been waiting for the return of two of my companions Inger and Flower. I have found out that they have not returned to Deepdelve. When asking about them I was given the opportunity to make large donations to the church of Torag. These donations would generate great benefit for the city. The followers of Torag are artificers and any donation will most likely help to alleviate some of the aupply and demand issues in the city." the priest said "He offered to donate 500 gold for every dwarf alive or dead that we bring back from the mine. He also offered to pay 1000 for the return of Inger and Flower. As well as offering to reward me specifically for their return."
Khaz
 player, 174 posts
 My kin can move mountains
 The Axe of Moradin
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 23:42
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Becoming thoughtful, the dwarf scratched his beard.  "Did he offer to pay for the others we had brought up already?  We could recover the children's guards and family to bring them back as well.  As for your two companions, we have not completed our search of the first level yet, and we were supposed to check a map room, or something like that."

"They didn't come up, and I don't think they would have gone deeper, with just the two of them.  Do you have any ideas where they might more likely have taken up defensive positions?"
Barli Grandforge
 player, 115 posts
 Channels Left : 4
Wed 1 Jul 2015
at 23:51
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Barli shook his head "I thought they would make their way directly back to Deepdelve, but in the chaos anything could have happened. I would assume they would still be on the first level perhaps if we have time we should search the rest of the administration area before heading to Copperton. Of course whatever orders we are given might change all of this."

Asked the DM the same question via private message about the dwarves we returned.
Esko Vladikov
 player, 135 posts
 Rogue
 HP: 7/10
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 00:02
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 690):

It's all the same and doomed to fail whatever we use.
17:02, Today: Esko Vladikov rolled 7 using 1d20-2. Diplomacy.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 331 posts
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 21:28
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
The duergar negotiates with Esko. At first things go nowhere, but as it becomes clear that Esko's desire for teeth is no mere whim, he begins to seriously consider what he concessions he could extract from Esko in return for this minor self-mulilation.

In the end, he sums up his demands, "I do not wish to die here, dwarf. The bright lights hurt my eyes, and the presence of so many of your detestable kind is a constant gall. Despite your untrustworthy nature, however, it is possible that negotiations will occur between your people and mine. If you will bring word to Lord Thorne that I and my companions are alive so that he knows we are held prisoner, I will give you two of my teeth, as requested."

"So that I will know you have kept your part of the bargain, bring back his answer to the question 'Who is the firstborn son of Urcen Stoneheart?' That way I will know you have spoken to him in truth."


Opal leads Esko back out of the prison, saying only "Those guys give me the creeps."
Esko Vladikov
 player, 137 posts
 Rogue
 HP: 7/10
Sun 5 Jul 2015
at 21:18
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
Esko walked away less than pleased. To be called untrustworthy by the likes of him riled his nerves, but he remained stoic. "Aye," he replied to Opal. "Has he turned invisible yet? Don't be fooled by their tricks."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 334 posts
Mon 6 Jul 2015
at 17:17
Re: Mission 1: Lines of Communication
"We're lucky that you warned us when you turned them over, that's for sure. We put them in different cells so they couldn't coordinate. Two of them have tried to make it look like their cell is empty. One guard who didn't listen to the briefing fell for it too. Came running out yelling about how one of the prisoners had escaped. We're lucky the idiot didn't have a key."

After a moment, Opal adds with an unpleasant smile, "He's assigned to help keep the latrines clean for a month." She transfers her weapon to her prosthetic hand and offers her real one to Esko for a handshake. "Good luck down there."

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:33, Mon 06 July 2015.