The Trial.   Posted by josh.Group: archive 0
josh
 GM, 1 post
Sun 22 Mar 2015
at 10:19
The Trial
You wake up hard. The first thing you notice is the silence. You don’t remember the last time you heard complete silence. The humming of god blood, missing. The quiet muttering of voices that made up the constant background of your life, gone. You sit up, slowly and look around. Three other men sprawl in a similar state on the plastic –looking floor. You keep looking around as you try to pull your vagrant thoughts in line.

White floors and white walls illuminated from the softly glowing ceiling make judging distances difficult, but you see quickly that you are in a large room. (see map 1 square = 5x5 meters)

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:33, Sat 11 Apr 2015.

Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 2 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 00:47
Re: The Trial
In reply to josh (msg # 1):

Seeing the rest of the initiates in this ordeal Malthus grunts a grunt of satisfaction.  As he quickly pats himself down checking what he is left with he tries to observe his surroundings - trying to recognize the materials, and checking the floors, walls and ceiling (especially the ceiling!) for irregularities.
Babylonian
 player, 2 posts
 Rasta Repairman
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 02:21
Re: The Trial
The Babylonian wakes up, startled by his unfamiliar surroundings.  The first thing he does is check to see if he has his tools.  He can't do his devotions to ATLANTIS without his tools.  He also checks to see if he has his other gear, but he's mainly worried about his tools.

It isn't until after he's checked his gear that he notices the other three men in the strange, sterile room.  He looks to them and smiles.  "We be in de test o' th'holies, brah."
Roland the Younger
 player, 1 post
 Huge, Clean, Jovial
 Slow of foot-fast of mind
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 03:19
Re: The Trial
Indeed Brother Babylonian.  It appears that we are blessed to take upon ourselves the trials of His Majesty A.T.L.A.N.I.T.I.S. may His name be ever revered.

Roland stands and inhales deeply, waiting for the will of his god to show him the way forward.
josh
 GM, 5 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 10:14
Re: The Trial
Malthus and the Babylonian find that while they slept, if that is what it was, someone had fully equipped them with their travel gear. On both of their left forearms, 4 new sub-dermal silver bands circle inside their skin.

Malthus looks around the room. Visually, the material looks like plastic. The floor that he woke up on, in spite of how it looks, feels like sandpaper. It is gritty and rough beneath his fingers, and composed of meter sized tiles. The ceiling, about 5 meters above the floor is difficult to make out, the soft glow that emanates from the ceiling blurring the details.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:18, Mon 23 Mar 2015.

Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 5 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2015
at 22:07
Re: The Trial
Looking at his arm Malthus thinks, "hmmm, that's new." As he prods his left arm gingerly he mutters a quick litany to Atlantis.

Can we see anything regarding the doors or the walls?

This message was last edited by the player at 00:46, Wed 25 Mar 2015.

josh
 GM, 8 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2015
at 22:59
Re: The Trial
The doors are both circular and seem to be made of six pieces of metal. shaped like the swirling shape cream makes in coffee. next to each door are two panels set into the walls at waist height. you cannot make out the panels clearly, but there appear to be lights on the right panels and a dark circle on the left panels.

the corridor leading from the room looks identical to the room, but is also circular in shape like the two doors.

the walls are hard to make out due to the whiteness of the material and lighting, but the walls appear bowed outwards.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:00, Tue 24 Mar 2015.

Babylonian
 player, 5 posts
 Rasta Repairman
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 01:09
Re: The Trial
The Babylonian will examine the door panels on the south door. He assumes they control the door, opening and closing it.  Are the lights on the bright panel buttons?  Do they seem to be a keypad for entering a passcode, or is it simpler, like an 'open' and a 'close' button?  He'll also take a look at the dark panel to see what it's all about.
Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 7 posts
 Protective, Gruff
 Cautious, Deliberate
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 02:23
Re: The Trial
Malthus readies his quarterstaff and moves close to the Babylonian to support him should the door open and unleash the unexpected.

May Atlantis guide your hands friend
Portnoy Leibowicz
 player, 3 posts
 Tiny Titian Terror
Thu 26 Mar 2015
at 06:04
Re: The Trial

Portnoy draws her knees up to her chest, making herself as small and obsequious as possible.

She observes the actions of the others in the room as they move about.

She also checks about her person to see what she's carrying after seeing some of the others taking measure of their equipment.

Portnoy also wracks her considerable knowledge base to try to make sense of the room she finds herself in.

After examining the floor and looking around the room Portnoy realizes that the room she is sitting in isn't necessarily a room at all.

Excuse me, initiates.  I think it's worth mentioning that we're not in a room at all.  I recognize this substance.

Portnoy slaps the floor.This whole space is a nanoconstruct.  Liquid morphic polymers.  We must be careful or we're liable to be set off a change in the room's shape that kills us.

Portnoy stands and examines the room for any anomalies.  Data access ports, seams, etc.  She also carefully examines the obvious panels and doorways looking for anything of note.  She wracks her brain while doing so trying to remember anything from her studies into post apocalyptic technologies and the archives of ATLANTIS that might help her understand the space she finds herself in and how to manipulate or control it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:05, Thu 02 Apr 2015.

Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 11 posts
 Protective, Gruff
 Cautious, Deliberate
Sun 29 Mar 2015
at 05:10
Re: The Trial
Malthus looks slowly over his shoulder at Portnoy, as if seeing her for the first time.  A confused look across his face.

Careful . . . or we could die?  The room will kill us? Do I understand that? I'll take your word on that Copper Top he says slowly.  Son of a bitch, the room

Focusing back on the Babylonian, he tries to take stock of the situation, slightly more worried than previously feeling he may be in over his head.
Babylonian
 player, 9 posts
 Rasta Repairman
Sun 29 Mar 2015
at 11:48
Re: The Trial
The Babylonian turns when Portnoy speaks up.  "Dere be danger e'rywhere. We be in deep, gotta fin' way out."

He turns back to the door, and examines the dark plate first. [Private to GM: Checking to see if the connection port is the sort we might be familiar with, i.e. would we happen to be familiar with any sort of device that would connect here?]

After a moment, and without touching it, he inspects the lighted plate closer. [Private to GM: Are there words or symbols on the screen? I assume it's in 'screensaver' mode. I'd like to get a better idea what it is, if I can, before toying with it.]

While he examines the plates, he says loud enough for everyone to hear, but mostly directed at himself, "De path Jah wan' us walk be hard, he say. De easy path be de wrong way, he tell me. What he know anyway?"
Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 12 posts
 Protective, Gruff
 Cautious, Deliberate
Sun 29 Mar 2015
at 23:41
Re: The Trial
You got that right Mister Babylonian, you got that right.  We'll get through this, ATLANTIS chose us for a reason. Malthus drawls, hopefully sounding confident.

Chose US!  The thought buoyed his spirits.
Roland the Younger
 player, 3 posts
 Slow of foot,
 swift of tongue.
Mon 30 Mar 2015
at 01:22
Re: The Trial
With certainty Brother Malthus! We are His chosen, and as such are fated to succeed in our actions, whatever the adversity!

Roland engages in the ritual morning prayers before taking stock of his possessions and situation.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:08, Mon 30 Mar 2015.

josh
 GM, 14 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2015
at 16:43
Re: The Trial
Looking around, Portnoy does not learn much more about the room, but quickly realizes that the panel on the left is for an encryption key. Once used, it should bring the right panel of its conjoined door to life . Quickly peering down the corridor, you cannot see where it ends, the glow and unbroken whiteness distorting distances.

Roland and Portnoy find none of their gear missing and the same silver bands on their left arms.

Without warning, the east side (left on the map) of the room dims. As you watch, the dimming begins to creep westward. Bars, keeping pace with the loss of light, begin to grow from the ceiling. Elongating, stretching and finally merging with the floor, the bars, you realize, are causing the darkness. They keep growing; pencil thin, steel-hard bars only centimeters apart. You quickly realize that there is no safe place under the growing bars. You have only moments before the bars appear above you, and then through you.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:35, Sat 11 Apr 2015.

Portnoy Leibowicz
 player, 7 posts
 Tiny Titian Terror
Mon 30 Mar 2015
at 17:31
Re: The Trial
Portnoy runs to the panel.

Out of the way!

She tries to gently shove the Babylonian out of the way but her haste causes her to hit him with enough strength to SHOVE him out of the way.

Sorry, there's no time...

Portnoy attempts to connect her computer to the panel.  She also looks for any indication of what the encryption key might be...

Anyone have any idea what the encryption key could be?  ATLANTIS expressed in the Lengua Machina is 0100011100010.  Could that be it? Trial is 111001110?  If I can get my laptop connected I can have it process the code, but if we know it we'll be faster...

Portnoy attempting to use her computer skill:  12 base + 7 roll = skill roll of 19

This is stressing me out so much I don't even know what color to speak in.

Pornoy wracks her brain for an idea of what the code might be...

Knowledge rolls:

history  9+15=  24

theology 3+9=   12

technology 2+9= 11

This message was last edited by the player at 00:07, Fri 03 Apr 2015.

Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 13 posts
 Protective, Gruff
 Cautious, Deliberate
Mon 30 Mar 2015
at 18:49
Re: The Trial
Malthus dives out of the way of the incoming Portnoy.

12:16, Mon 30 Mar: Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah rolled 19 using 1d20+6. Reflex save.

Marvelling at the equipment being used You have the tools of heaven!

Picking himself up from the dodge Malthus notices the ceiling beginning to meet the floor.

The room is trying to end us! So this is what copper top was trying to say. Next time say it in common!

Backing closer to the west wall Malthus looks for something to shoot.

Sometimes you gotta solve your problems with lead.

With the lights dimming can anything be seen on the ceiling that could be controlling the rods? Any irregularities?

[Private to GM: I want to check out the ceiling, not actually intending to shoot. just kinda want to spur the others to action, see what they do]

This message was last edited by the player at 22:58, Thu 02 Apr 2015.

Babylonian
 player, 10 posts
 Rasta Repairman
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 01:31
Re: The Trial
Getting shoved out of the way doesn't phase the Babylonian.  He wasn't sure how to operate the computer panel anyway, and maybe Portnoy could figure it out.  He doesn't know any codes.  Just lots of hogwash from his grandpappy, and what all initiates learn from the priests.

As the room starts to close in on them, he again eyes the open corridor to the east.  "Look like sommun or sumtin' no wannus open door. Easy way be dere. Can open door, lady?  Dat be right way out, me tinkin'.  Bettah be quick, don' wanna get smashed."

Letting Portnoy handle the door, the Babylonian starts searching for some way to stop or jam up the rods coming down from the ceiling.

10:30, Today: Babylonian rolled 15 using 1d20+7. disable device check.
Portnoy Leibowicz
 player, 10 posts
 Tiny Titian Terror
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 09:33
Re: The Trial
Our schedule is such that Josh will respond to all of this on Friday morning?

Big boy (Malthus), put that gun away and come over here.

Portnoy hands Malthus her conductive whip.(Assuming Malthus is amenable to it.)

Can we do that?  Sort of nudge each other rather than wait for direct responses to things like, "Take this and do something with it while I do XYZ, etc."  If not, that's cool, but I'm thinking it could keep things moving along?  How have you done it in the past Dennis?

See if you can find somewhere that either end of this whip could plug into. If we're lucky as a last resort I might be able to use my Gift to short out the mechanism or at least open this door
Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 15 posts
 Protective, Gruff
 Cautious, Deliberate
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 14:36
Re: The Trial
Malthus contemplates the offer, the descending doom of the ceiling, and the open corridor.

My apologies Red, but I wouldn't know the first place to stick that. Besides Bess here he motions to his revolver her machine spirit grows anxious .

Mr. Babylonian you reckon that open corridor could be the way to salvation?

josh
 GM, 21 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 11:11
Re: The Trial
Roland, the only person still standing in the middle of the room, finishes his prayers and preparations. As the thin bars begin to descend over his head, he moves to stand next to everyone else. Looking back, he says, “There doesn't seem to be a way to stop them. They are just growing from the ceiling. It is dimming because wherever they grow, the light stops.”

Portnoy tries fruitlessly to open the door. Nothing she tries works.

Malthus, gun drawn and eyes moving, sees nothing on the ceiling. It looks like the thin bars are growing out of the ceiling itself.

The Babylonian, in his search of the empty room realizes that the bars are growing out of the ceiling. There is no reason to think that the bars growth are interconnected.

The other door is now invisible behind a sea of descending and descended bars, and as you watch, the bars in the middle of the room connect to the floor.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:42, Fri 03 Apr 2015.

Malthus False Prophet of the Atomessiah
 player, 17 posts
 Protective, Gruff
 Cautious, Deliberate
Fri 3 Apr 2015
at 18:33
Re: The Trial
Son of a bitch! yells Malthus Can't see anything!

Racking his brain, trying to think of anything that may help he remembers a childhood memory from long ago “What was, was is, what will be.” Does that have anything to do with it?

Priest! What did your order make of “What was, was is, what will be.”? Are we to be reborn here?

Does anyone else remember?

This message was last edited by the player at 00:03, Sat 04 Apr 2015.

Portnoy Leibowicz
 player, 11 posts
 Tiny Titian Terror
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 04:06
Re: The Trial
Portnoy begins to shake.  She is not overly fond of small spaces.

What was, was is, what will be. Portnoy shouts into the panel.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Portnoy waits for a response.

If there's not response to any of this I'm going to fry the door and come what may.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:10, Sat 04 Apr 2015.