Mudsticks.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
The GM
 GM, 176 posts
Fri 4 Sep 2015
at 03:58
Mudsticks
The tiny village of Mudsticks, population 40, is a clump of farms that surround one big building. Inside this building is a tall, oval frame as if for a large mirror, but with nothing in the middle - most of the time.

Every once in a while, a shimmering blue apparition appears where the mirror would be, and a stranger comes out of it. The people of Mudsticks started out trying to worship these strangers, but after a while, when the strangers seemed just as confused as the villagers, their worshipfulness gradually faded to indifference. Nowadays, they leave someone to tend the device, but otherwise ignore it.

From the outside of the building, the defensive outer wall of Trincal can be seen rising just barely above the horizon to the southeast.

-= from An Unexpected Side Trip: Cobin =-

As the blinding blue light fades, Cobin finds that he is once more lying flat on his back. The net is no longer wrapped around him, and his spear and maul are close by. This time he is indoors, on a wooden floor, staring up into the rafters of a large building.

To the left, an old man sits in a rocking chair with a pile of knitting in his lap. "Ah, you're already awake," he says, peering at Cobin curiously. "You're in a little place called Mudsticks. We're in the Pytharon Empire in the Steadfast. The closest big city is Trincal to our southeast. We're also close to a river, and mountains, and a desert, and grasslands. It's just about noon. Lunch today will be rice and threek eggs, for one shin per egg. Clear water is also one shin, muddy water is free. Anything else you want to know, just ask."
Cobin
 player, 114 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Fri 4 Sep 2015
at 06:33
Mudsticks
Cobin blinks a few times and sits up slowly, hoping not to startle the old man. Reaching for weapons would only do that, but he doubts someone involved in a bandit raid would be without weapons of one sort of another.

"The gods seem intent on surprising me," he says slowly, "as I was in the city until quite recently." He takes note of the Empire, having not been aware he was in one before now. He checks to see if he has his shins on him to buy a few moments and looks up at the old man, remaining sitting to seem less of a threat.

"I have one rather pressing question: why did the people who raided a village send me here and what is your relation to the lancers and archers?"
The GM
 GM, 180 posts
Sun 6 Sep 2015
at 16:18
Mudsticks
Cobin has everything with him that he originally had back at the noodle shop. The dessicating detonator has been used. The spear has the slight wear and tear from the battle, but none of the blood or dirt.

The old man goes back to rocking and knitting, and seems completely unfazed by Cobin's size or blueness.

"I wouldn't know," he replies. He gestures at the mirror frame. "Everyone that comes out of there comes from somewhere different. Usually it's from a battle. We of Mudsticks don't know who any of them are or what they're about, or who any of you are."
Cobin
 player, 116 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 00:58
Mudsticks
Cobon stands and, if the old man does not ask him to stop, pressing one hand carefully to the mirror, hoping it might somehow speak.

"I am not certain what to make of this at all," half to himself. "I was sent back home by ruffians by accident, arrived to fight in a battle and end it by being captured. The raiders were many, and success would have had too high a cost -- they wanted me, I think for my talents, and put me into a portal that...." He pulls his hand away. "I assume it did not work as intended, if I ended up here."

He glances at the old man. "I had best be on my way to Trincal, I think. But before I go: do you ever have problems with those who arrive here? People stumbling out of battles into unknown places can be a danger, I would imagine?"
The GM
 GM, 183 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 03:11
Mudsticks
The man smiles an innocent smile at Cobin. "Oh, some of you are. Most of you are only confused, but a few get quite upset. But you don't have to worry about us. We have ways of handling the ones who try violence."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:12, Wed 09 Sept 2015.

Cobin
 player, 117 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 06:51
Mudsticks
Cobin nods, and asks if there is anyone in need of healing before he leaves -- his friends in Trincal will be worrying, but the least he can do is repay this town a little.

If there is no one in need, he shall thank the man, get directions, and head to the city, aiming to return to the Dallwell's and hoping his adventures didn't send him strangely through time as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:52, Wed 09 Sept 2015.

The GM
 GM, 184 posts
Fri 11 Sep 2015
at 00:12
Mudsticks
The old man seems surprised and pleased by Cobin's offer, but shakes his head. "We're doing all right, but thank you for asking! Come back anytime."

The walk back to Trincal is pleasant and uneventful.

-= to Dallwell Noodle Shop: Cobin =-
The GM
 GM, 259 posts
Sat 5 Dec 2015
at 03:28
Mudsticks
-= from An Unexpected Side Trip: Ajeni Darrow =-

As the blinding blue light fades, Ajeni finds herself lying flat on her back in a large wooden building. She's back to being dressed in what she was wearing before getting shot by the blue crystal. It's warm in here, and she can hear the crackling of a fire somewhere nearby.

"Are you awake yet?" An old man sitting in a rocking chair, with a pile of knitting in his lap, is peering at her curiously. "You're in a little place called Mudsticks. We're in the Pytharon Empire in the Steadfast. The closest big city is Trincal to our southeast. We're also close to a river, and mountains, and a desert, and grasslands. It's just about dusk. Evening meal tonight will be rice and threek eggs, for one shin per egg. Clear water is also one shin, muddy water is free. Anything else you want to know, just ask."
Ajeni Darrow
 player, 96 posts
Sun 6 Dec 2015
at 14:58
Mudsticks
Ajeni lies spread-eagled on the floor, staring up into the ceiling for a while, blinking. Then she glances up at the empty portal frame, and raises her head to look over at the old man. "Did a big blue guy come through here recently?"
The GM
 GM, 261 posts
Sun 6 Dec 2015
at 15:27
Mudsticks
"Why, yes! There was one earlier today. Big blue guy with a fearsome-looking maul." The old man stops creaking back and forth in his chair to look at her more closely. "You're the second to come through here today. We don't usually get this many travelers. Did you know the other fellow? He seemed friendly enough."
Ajeni Darrow
 player, 97 posts
Tue 8 Dec 2015
at 23:48
Mudsticks
"Yeah, there's this cypher vendor in Trincal that's recently been peddling these pocket-dimension-generator-slash-telporter crystal things, and I guess this is the out-point? I mean, it's not illegal, exactly, but it more than a little annoying...and something tells me there's something more afoot. You can probably expect some more visitors in the near future, before we figure this out..."

Ajeni sits up suddenly. "Did you say dusk? I wonder how Reggie and Cobin did with the fight... I, uh...gotta go." Rolling to her feet, she heads out the door.

A few seconds later, she comes back in, halfway, leaning through the door. "How often do you get visitors? Do you ever get any from..." Her head tilts to one side as she searches her memory. "...Guran?"
The GM
 GM, 267 posts
Wed 9 Dec 2015
at 05:45
Mudsticks
"Well, usually only one every month or two. Except, well," he pauses and frowns in thought. "More recently it's been more like every week or two. Some of them have been from Guran, and the curious thing about those travelers is that they're almost never warriors." He raises an eyebrow at Ajeni. "Like you. You don't look much like a warrior either."
Ajeni Darrow
 player, 98 posts
Fri 11 Dec 2015
at 22:07
Mudsticks
Ajeni nods. "Now there's an astute and insightful observation. Have you ever thought of going into detective work? I know some guys whose jobs you could have. I mean, it's not like they're using 'em..."

She ponders for a moment, chin on fist. "I'm not sure what the significance of that could be, though..." Making little hmm-ing sound, she wanders off again, frowning and muttering to herself.

(Heading back to Pophar's.)
The GM
 GM, 271 posts
Sat 12 Dec 2015
at 03:15
Mudsticks
"Have a good walk," the old man calls after Ajeni. "Watch out for the bogfrogs when you get to the swamp."

She doesn't see any bogfrogs when she gets to the swamp, and the walk back to Trincal is uneventful.

-= to Pophar's Estate: Ajeni Darrow =-