Black Cock Grille and Tavern.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
The GM
 GM, 25 posts
Wed 6 May 2015
at 03:36
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
The tavernkeeper's wife comes to Cyrel's table, bearing two bowls of some kind of stew and a loaf of bread. She sets these down between Cyrel and Cobin. "No herbs, no salt, no butter for your bread. Plain as can be. Hope you like it."

Meanwhile, the front door of the tavern opens, and a man dressed like a town guard enters. Seeing the tavernkeeper's wife, he walks over to their table. "Martha, my good woman!" he exclaims. "Good to see you."

He glances in Cobin's direction as he continues speaking. "The Crown is looking for strong young ...men... to repair a hole in our outer wall. It collapsed in the night and we need it back up as soon as possible. Would you happen to know anyone who could help?"
Ovo Cyrel
 player, 12 posts
 Every interaction
 is a transaction
Wed 6 May 2015
at 05:35
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cyrel narrows his eyes at Cobin, wondering if anyone could possibly be this naive. Shaking his head in dismay, he walks over to the fireplace and lights his cigarette in the smoldering embers.

“I wouldn’t insult you by offering food, Cobin. This is much better than food - it is an addiction.” He inhales a drag off the cigarette, and when he exhales, little trails of pale blue smoke issue from the cybernetic ports that line his skull on either side.

As the woman places breakfast on the table and the man barges into the room, Cyrel stands back listening to their conversation with feigned disinterest. He places the cigarette back in the corner of his mouth. “I assume you are offering payment. You are not looking for volunteers to sweat for you, without just compensation?”
Cobin
 player, 8 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Thu 7 May 2015
at 03:16
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin sticks his fingertips into the fire, the cigarette lighting. He shakes the fire off his fingers almost absently, making a curious face at the smell of the cigarette, inhales, and then being coughing violently for a few seconds, realizing that this must only work for people with more holes in their heads than he has.

He overhears the conversation between coughs and, when he thinks Cyrel is not looking, discards the rest of the 'gift' into the fire between final coughs. "You do not offer cigarettes for payment, I trust?" to the guard, in a hopeful tone since one was far more than enough for a single day.
The GM
 GM, 28 posts
Fri 8 May 2015
at 01:59
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
"We pay in shins," says the guardsman. He watches Cobin dispose of the cigarette with a cynical sneer, but says nothing, and is clearly sizing up the blue giant for muscle tone. "Two shins per hour. If you have the time to spare, walk west along the outer wall until you see it."

Martha, meanwhile, has gone back to straightening and wiping the tables and chairs of the front room. "I'll send my son Wallace to help, Mr. Anton." She snorts. "If I can find him. He went to the Drunken Pony last night and hasn't come back yet."
Ovo Cyrel
 player, 14 posts
 Every interaction
 is a transaction
Fri 8 May 2015
at 02:29
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Glancing back at Cobin, Cyrel frowns slightly to see the cigarette missing. Had the blue brute eaten it after all? He shakes his head in dismay and turns back to the guard, sizing the man up with a certain shrewd intensity.

“Certainly a man of Cobin’s stature and strength is worth the effort of two grown men,” he puffs on the cigarette, blowing a small circle of smoke in the man’s general direction.

“He is my personal bodyguard and attache. Losing his services for the day… well you can understand my reluctance to lose such a valuable commodity to a simple construction task, that he is clearly over qualified to complete.”
Cobin
 player, 10 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Fri 8 May 2015
at 04:15
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin opens his mouth, closes it and blushes a deeper shade of blue at the praise, quite astonished to be considered so valued, and a personal bodyguard at that. He wonders, for a moment, if this will effect sleeping arrangements but is certain Cyrel would have so beforehand if this was likely.

"I would not want my friend to be harmed," he says, offering what he thinks of as a friendly, toothy smile to the guard, straightening from a slouch and not, yet, asking how he can be overqualified to do something he has never done before, but Cyrel does seem to have the situation well in hand.
The GM
 GM, 31 posts
Sat 9 May 2015
at 14:53
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
The guard looks over at Cyrel as if seeing him for the first time. "I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize he was with you. What price would you consider fair for his services for a few hours this morning? I could also suggest that Trincal assign you one of our constables to escort you about the town in exchange for your guard, if you have concerns about your safety here."
Ovo Cyrel
 player, 16 posts
 Every interaction
 is a transaction
Sat 9 May 2015
at 18:19
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
“I understand the importance of the task, so I am willing to offer my man’s services for less than the usual rate… as a gesture of good will, shall we say, to the good city of Trincal.”

Cyrel flicks the remains of his cigarette into the fireplace.

“Four shins an hour will be sufficient.”

“There is no need to provide one of your constables -" Cyrel dismisses the rest of the guard’s suggestion with a wave of his hand. "I am sure that your streets are safe enough, to risk alone for a few hours in the daylight.”

This message was last edited by the player at 18:21, Sat 09 May 2015.

Cobin
 player, 11 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Sun 10 May 2015
at 01:02
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin frowns slightly, but does not protest. Cyrel has, after all, survived on his own quite well before meeting Cobin, and saying otherwise would only hurt his friends feelings. He opens his mouth to say four shins seems excessive, then realizes things will be more expensive in cities and closes it, waiting to see the guard's reaction and hoping they haven't angered the guards by accident.
The GM
 GM, 36 posts
Sun 10 May 2015
at 23:00
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
The guardsman frowns back at Cyrel. "I'm afraid we can't afford such a high rate, especially if any others were to find out. Trincal is not the wealthiest of cities, you must understand. The best we could do is three shins an hour, and I would have to check with the chief."

He looks over at Cobin again and sighs a little. "A pity for us, alas. We really could have used your help. Now it will probably take longer to repair our wall, and our streets will be that much less safe for that much longer."
Ovo Cyrel
 player, 17 posts
 Every interaction
 is a transaction
Sun 10 May 2015
at 23:22
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cyrel flashes what he hopes is a convincing smile, chuckling dryly. “Now let’s not be hasty shall we. I am certain that we can come to an agreeable arrangement.”

“Is the art of barter not alive and well in the city of Trincal? Where I am from, it is valued and honed just as carefully as a warrior hones his sword,” He clucks his tongue, and hazards a glance to Cobin.

“What do you say, Cobin? I say three is fair, for your time this afternoon. And with such a generous offer, you might even pick up our breakfast from time to time.”

To punctuate his statement, Cyrel fishes into his coin purse and withdraws two battered-looking shins. He places them on the table for the innkeeper’s wife, then sits back down at the table, kicking his feet up on the opposite chair.
Cobin
 player, 12 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Mon 11 May 2015
at 05:43
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin looks slightly worried at the thought of the city being less safe for everyone, and is about to offer his services for free but winces a little as his friend pays for breakfast. His friend who has paid for most of the journey in their company together.

"I am more than willing to work for three," politely to the guard. "Let us say that I will do this work for the city for three shins, and that it may be reduced  if you do not judge the resulting effort worthy of that cost?" which seems to him a reasonable solution.
The GM
 GM, 39 posts
Wed 13 May 2015
at 03:15
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
The guard smiles at Cobin. "Those are quite acceptable terms. I am certain that Chief Constable Gray will find them reasonable as well. Please report to him when you have found the breach in the wall, and I will speak with him as soon as I have finished visiting the taverns."

He glances at the innkeeper's wife as he heads for the door. "I can fetch Wallace myself when I get to the Drunken Pony. I'll let him know that you volunteered him."

"Don't pay him more than two shins," she yells after him. "He'll just spend it all on wine." She passes Cyrel's table and picks up his payment for breakfast without missing a beat. "Just holler if you want more stew."
Cobin
 player, 13 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Wed 13 May 2015
at 03:27
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin smiles back, pleased that people in the city like to smile as well, and thanks the guard, leaving to head to the wall since there seems little point to wasting time and Cyrus seems to be getting more stew. He fully expects his friend can take care of himself and, if worse should come to worse, find him rather quickly.

Cobin pauses outside to ask the guard what caused the breach in the wall, since if it is some danger he might need to bring his spear with him in order to help protect others from harm.
Ovo Cyrel
 player, 18 posts
 Every interaction
 is a transaction
Thu 14 May 2015
at 05:02
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Finishing his meal, Cyrel wipes a line of soup from his chin and chugs a swig of stale water, before grabbing his rucksack from the back wall. He exits through the back door, heading over to the stables where a plain but sturdy wooden cart is parked beside the small lean-to enclosure.

Cyrel unfastens the heavy tarp that is slung over the cart’s contents, pulling it away to reveal row after row of fledgeling Q’udax plants. After checking the product for damage, he circles around the back of the cart and sits down on the tail, next to a wooden box. Opening the lid to reveal a cobbled-together chemistry kit, he picks up a green glass vial and lifts it into the light. Squinting at the substance inside with a critical frown, he pours a tiny amount of the pale violet powder onto a slip of paper. Cyrel grinds the tip of his finger into it, and dabs just a taste onto his tongue.

Seemingly satisfied, he pours the rest of the powder onto the paper, and folds it into a neat envelope which disappears into an interior pocket. Then, carefully gathering the rest of the kit into a leather pouch, he goes to deal with the beast.

“Are we awake yet, you damned ugly thing?” Cyrel calls into the stables. There is a loud chuffing sound in answer, and a spray of dust and hay flies over the side of the enclosure. Cyrel flicks the bits of hay off his clothing in irritation.

“If you’re wanting the brush then I wouldn’t do that again.” He growls, grabbing a wire brush from a peg on the wall, and sauntering over to the open stall. A large, half-blind creature covered in ropey tendrils of matted, black and grey fur stares back at him, hay leaking out the sides of its gaping, toothless mouth. Batting away the flies, Cyrel runs the wire brush through the creature’s knotted and tangled fur, and it purrs contentedly; a thrumming, strangely mechanical sound that causes all of the metal on Cyrel’s person to vibrate.

“Come on Mabel, we have a delivery to make.” Cyrel pushes against the beast’s haunches, and it (grudgingly) begins to move, dragging its six ape-like feet through the dust towards the small wooden cart.

After connecting the harnesses, Cyrel hops up onto the cart and flicks the reins, heading for Dallwell’s Noodle shop.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:57, Thu 14 May 2015.

The GM
 GM, 43 posts
Fri 15 May 2015
at 03:36
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
As Cobin comes out of the tavern, he sees that the town guard has just mounted an aneen and is preparing to ride away. "The breach is well-guarded at the moment, but you're certainly welcome to help if someone is foolish enough to try to attack in broad daylight right now. And thank you again for answering our call."

With that, he rides away toward the east.

-= to Northwest Corner of the Outer Wall: Cobin =-

-= to Dallwell Noodle Shop: Ovo Cyrel =-
The GM
 GM, 436 posts
Tue 9 Aug 2016
at 04:32
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
-= from Trincal Market Square: Ovo Cyrel =-

Cyrel's walk back to the tavern is uneventful. As he gets to the door, he can hear a couple of loud, clearly drunk men sitting at a table just inside.

"So hey, how did that soiree go tonight anyway?" says one.

The other one chuckles bitterly. "Dumbest luck ever for the black devotees, all night long. They somehow lost that big blue guy we were tracking even though they had him already in the zoo - in his cage! They lost the big talking gorilla we were looking for a few months ago. Somehow he wandered into the zoo too, not sure how that happened. They even lost that Nibovian we caught when we first set eyes on the big blue guy. And that net we spent all our shins on was broken or something, that Taymullah was so proud of? It caught themselves instead of the creatures we were aiming for."

"Wow," says the first one. "That's ... unfortunate. For Taymullah anyway."

The two chuckle about this, not sounding sorry for Taymullah at all.

"I bet Rahida is displeased with him," the first one says. "But, not our problem. Tomorrow we go to Jargolamis. That heretic Deknin has been spotted there."

The second man snorts. "Wonder if we'll find out what he's doing with all that interdimensional wiring he's been buying up. Other than keep himself anchored in our reality, I mean."

"Nothing good," says the first one. "For us, for humanity, or for the world."
The GM
 GM, 440 posts
Wed 24 Aug 2016
at 04:42
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
As Cyrel comes through the tavern door, the men glance at him and hush their voices a little until he passes. They watch as Cyrel heads for the far corner next to the fire where he'd slept the night before. After he settles down for the night, they get up, adjust their dark blue cloaks about their shoulders, and head for the stairs.

-= from Trincal Market Square: Cobin =-

By the time Cobin makes it back to the tavern, the big front room is largely empty except for a few sleepers on the floor near the fire. Cyrel has propped himself up against the wall where he'd slept the previous night, his hammer clutched tightly in one hand. It's hard to tell from a distance whether he's asleep or not. The only other awake person in the room is Martha, who is wiping down the counter. "Wall get all fixed?" she says, trying to sound politely conversational but mostly just sounds tired.
Cobin
 player, 268 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Fri 26 Aug 2016
at 05:07
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin pauses a moment. The wall feels like a lifetime ago even though it wasn't at all. He shakes off the memories of the day.

"I believe so, yes. Have things been quiet?" he asks politely.
The GM
 GM, 443 posts
Sat 3 Sep 2016
at 22:53
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Martha shrugs as she keeps wiping the counter. "Quiet enough. No one broke anything today, not even when the blue cloaked strangers came in here. My son Wallace says they got kicked out of the Drunken Pony. Not sure what for."

She looks sidelong at Cobin. "You best stay out of their sight maybe. They were talking about a big blue guy they were tracking for a zoo."

She moves to the other end of the counter, still wiping. "Might've meant you, might not. They've been tracking a lot of big blue creatures with purple hair. Said they found another one in Jargolamis - a girl, they said. They want one boy and one girl for this zoo."

She pauses to look up at Cobin again. "You have any family in Jargolamis? Might want to warn them. They're going that way tomorrow."
Cobin
 player, 270 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Mon 5 Sep 2016
at 18:24
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin blinks. Blinks again. Stares down at her. Blinks. Realizes she probably expects words.

"Out of sight does make sense. And was me, yes," faintly. "I don't - have any family that I know of. A lot is - I didn't know there was more than me." He shakes his head, gathering his wits about him. "What is Jargolmais like? I believe I may need to visit there."
The GM
 GM, 444 posts
Tue 6 Sep 2016
at 03:40
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
"Jargolamis? It's a nice city, as long as you stay out of the Umbil," Martha replies. "We get traders from there come through here all the time."

She moves to a small sink behind the counter to refresh the water in her rag bucket, then comes around the counter and begins cleaning off the tables and chairs.

"The blue cloaks looking for you are sleeping upstairs. You'd best be out of here before they get up. You want any supper?"
Cobin
 player, 271 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Wed 7 Sep 2016
at 03:15
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin nods. "Food would be nice, I think. And thank you for the information. I have no idea why they would be seeking me, but it seems more and more likely they have no desire to discuss the matter.

"Is there anything I can do for you in turn?" he adds politely.
The GM
 GM, 446 posts
Sat 10 Sep 2016
at 04:03
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Martha looks a bit startled for a moment, then smiles at Cobin. "That's very kind of you to ask. Nothing tonight that comes to mind, but maybe if you pass this way again someday."

She goes into the kitchen, then comes back a moment later with a bowl of stew and a small loaf of bread, which she sets down at the table nearest Cobin. "One shin when you're done. Take your time."

With a friendly nod, she goes back to cleaning up the rest of the front room.
Cobin
 player, 272 posts
 Cobin is a Mutant Glaive
 who Works Miracles
Sat 10 Sep 2016
at 10:09
Re: Black Cock Grille and Tavern
Cobin pays, eat the food and then settles down to sleep for the night. He tries not to think about other people like him, worries about this town, the knights, Reg and everything else, and manages at least some sleep before morning.

He endeavours to get Cyrel and depart before the knights awaken.