IVB - The Chairman.   Posted by The Keeper.Group: 0
Dennis Bouchard
 NPC, 5 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 17:01
IVB - The Chairman
Mrs. DeCamp returns with Bouchard's drink, which he accepts gratefully. Taking a long sip from it, he says. "That Screech character has always bothered me. He's polite...almost too polite, but it seems like he'd rough you up as soon as look at you. I've always wondered what kind of business he was into. I tried to bring that idea up with Randall once, but he wouldn't listen to me. Insisted that questioning Screech was like second guessing a priest or a preacher. Randall believes in Screech completely."

"I supposed I could reach out to Jason Ducrest, one of our memebers. He's got some...experience with unpleasant matters like this. But I can't say that Screech will listen to him, no matter how serious the situation."


He takes another drink, then sets the glass down. Frowning, he asks, "Who's this Peter Garvin you're talking about? He died, you said? You think Screech and his people had something to do with it?"
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 163 posts
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 20:27
IVB - The Chairman
d'Anjou gives Mrs. DeCamp a small smile when glanced at and waits for the servant to leave. "Unfortunately I suspect Papa Screech took full advantage of the spiritual and mental trauma that follows a bereavement by a seemingly uncaring heaven...converts, be they to to conventional faith or spiritualist mountebankery, are always that bit fanatical." He frowns a little.

"I hope he eventually snaps out of it on his own, but I don't like this being warned away buisness - Screech intimated that it would be, ah...'unhealthy' for a friend of mine whom Fowler had invited to the Krewe's masquerade to take up Fowler's time as well, and it smacks of fostering a dependancy."

"Not really my place, but I think the fellow might benefit from a little socialising...take him to see a man about a dog, sort of thing."
d'Anjou leans to tap his cigarette over an entirely tasteless ashstray.

"As for Screech being stubborn, I should hope he sees it's in his best interests, really. He wants to carry on what he's at and have me out of his hair, not to mention the Family, all he needs to do is communicate."
He sighs. "We can but hope. The Krewe leaders' involvement should be persuasive, however - he got into your organisation because he needs that cover and your co-operation. I doubt his force is strong enough for a power play, at least not when it is made clear he lacks the element of surprise."

"Peter Garvin was a young investigative reporter who died whilst looking into the meaning of the whirly symbol and the movements of the Krewe's workforce. He died either the of multiple crush and blunt piercing injuries likened by the coroner to mauling or machinery, or possibly from impact with the ground. The police abruptly classed it as a suicide despite there being no buildings close enough to the site, nor high enough to account for the injuries."

"This is the incident I was employed, as a private detective, to investigate. Garvin died clutching a fresh-seeming whirly sign, and some little searching outside the workshop by your headquarters turned up Garvin's blood-spattered fountain pen. When I indirectly mentioned the death as a strange 'suicide' of a 'source' to Screech, he told me that he had heard of a 'similar incident', attributing the death to an 'excess of curiousity'."
He smokes.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:29, Sun 10 Apr 2016.

Dennis Bouchard
 NPC, 6 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 14:32
IVB - The Chairman
Bouchard takes another pull on his cigar, remaining silent in thought for a long moment. Nodding, he says, "Yes, I think Jason would be the best to handle this. I'll call on him at the bank this afternoon. Discuss your concerns. He definitely wouldn't be intimidated by Screech. He could lay down the law. Make it clear we won't tolerate any illegal foolishness."

"I can speak to Randall again. He and I have been friends for some time. We used to be closer, before the tragedy, you understand. But he still holds me in some regard, even though he insists I give up my bachelor lifestyle. But, with what you've told me, I might be able to at least get his attention, make him think about Screech and those...swamp people. Sow a few seeds of doubt, as it were."


He looks at d'Anjou pointedly. "I just wonder if this is a matter that should be handled by the police. I wouldn't relish involving them. The moment I do, everything will be all over the Times Picayune, but I don't want anyone hurt. Anyone else. I think I remember this young man, Garvin. I think he's the same young man that interviewed me for a society piece on the Krewe. Seemed very personable. I'd no idea he'd died."

He gulps down the remainder of his drink. "What do you suggest, Mr. d'Anjou? I know a sergeant on the force. One who's...well, who's helped me out of tight spot or two. Should I speak with him. Or is this something that should be best left to...your associates?"
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 164 posts
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 20:26
IVB - The Chairman
"Easy there - perhaps just stick to the offer for now. Believe me, it's never smart to corner a rattlesnake, especially on your friend's table. We give him an out, Mardi Gras blows over as normal and we can work on cutting those threads of connection. No-one vanishes, no-one resorts to threats, no-one's reputation gets tarnished." The detective speaks gently, pressing point by point with the calm firmness of experience.

"Hm. Feel out the situation a bit before mentioning his personal prophet, if you do...I frankly wouldn't put it past Screech to persuade Fowler to sue for slander."


The younger man smokes and holds Bouchard's gaze with almost radiant serenity, smoke slowly curling beside him. "Granted that they may simply be run off their feet with a particularly rowdy carnival season this year, but the police saw the state of Garvin's body, saw the poster he still clutched...and said 'suicide'. I can guarantee that was nothing to do with-" he smiles at the term, "...my associates."

"I'd strongly counsel against bringing in the police...sending Screech into a flurry of evidence-burying and riling him to a war setting might make your friend a target, not to mention myself. Fowler's loyalties and nervous condition might drive him to who knows what under that kind of pressure."
He shakes his head. "Mostly I'm concerned with justice for our supposed suicide. If Screech sees sense and sacrifices the killer - or a plausible account of accident engineered into a warning to the curious - that's a lot less court-admissable evidence required than it would take to net the entire gang, should the police be willing to try."
Dennis Bouchard
 NPC, 7 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 21:01
IVB - The Chairman
Bouchard nods as he listens. Tapping the ash of his cigar into an ashtray, he rings the small bell again, apparently craving another drink.

"Very well," he says with a sigh, "I will ask that Jason only disclose your offer, to see if Screech will share anything he knows about Mr. Garvin's death, and if he is open to negotiating with your people."

"I'll just try to engage Randall socially for now. Bring up Screech conversationally. See if Randall might have any lingering doubts about his 'spiritual advisor'."


He shakes his head. "I'll leave the police out of it. But, between you and me Mr. D'Anjou, nothing would make me happier than to see the whole lot of those cretins run out of town, or locked up in Angola."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 165 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 18:12
IVB - The Chairman
"I'm no wiseguy," d'Anjou says with faint amusement, "-but in my profession it pays well not to make certain enemies." He fishes out and flicks one of his cards on the table, where it slides to a stop.

"Even just showing him a bit of real life again might do the trick,"
d'Anjou agrees.

He sighs. "Indeed, but best to attempt that sort of thing when they're no longer in a position to finger you or your associates for masterminding or equipping. You might even consider my services yet," the detective says, half-joking. "At any rate, sorry to be a bird of ill omen - hopefully next time we meet will be a more cheerful affair."
Dennis Bouchard
 NPC, 8 posts
Fri 15 Apr 2016
at 03:37
IVB - The Chairman
Bouchard takes the card, looking at it for a moment. Dropping it into his pocket, he says, "I'm grateful for the information, Mr. d'Anjou, whatever your motives. I'll make certain to call you once Jason Ducrest has spoken with Screech. If Screech shares anything of value with him, you'll be the first to know."

"I certainly wouldn't want to put you in a difficult position with your existing employer, but if you're serious about assisting myself and the other Krewe members in completely disentangling ourselves from any connections with Screech, I'd like your help. I and the others would assuredly make it worth your while."


Mrs. DeCamp steps into the room. Bouchard holds up his empty glass. The maid nods and departs.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 171 posts
Sun 17 Apr 2016
at 19:37
IVB - The Chairman
"Thank you," the detective says sincerely.

He nods to the offer. "Quite serious, and it'll certainly save you the chunk of fees associated with background research. Again, my concern here is less with pay than putting the brakes on the kind of social chaos and literal mayhem that might be unleashed if this exploded in the light of day."

d'Anjou sits forward, preparing to get up. "Contact me if you feel any kind of serious threat from these fellows - I don't think Screech would try anything with you or anyone in the public eye, but there's something a bit unpredictable about that man."
Dennis Bouchard
 NPC, 9 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 20:56
IVB - The Chairman
Bouchard stands, stepping over to a roll top writing desk in the corner of the room. Retrieving a piece of stationary, he proceeds to write on it with a fountain pen.

"This my telephone number, along with the numbers for Mr. Ducrest's office and home. Although I'm already obliged to you, I would appreciate it if you would contact myself or Jason if you happen to learn anything else...alarming."

He approaches d'Anjou, handing the detective the sheet of stationary. "I will contact you as well once Mr. Ducrest has spoken with Screech. After Mardi Gras, I'll set up a meeting for the all the Krewe leaders to meet with you so we can begin...cleaning up."

He extends his hand. "I'm deeply grateful for your assistance, Mr. D'Anjou."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 173 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2016
at 22:04
IVB - The Chairman
d'Anjou drops his cigarette butt into the ashtray as he stands. A tiny spark skips across the centre and goes out amongst the ashes.

He takes the paper, glancing over it and folding it away into a different pocket to his notes, just in case. "Merci bien. I will keep you informed."

The detective nods and comes up with a rueful smile as Bouchard recieves a frank handshake. "Thank me on the other side of this, and good luck."

When released, the detective will take his leave and exit the way he came in, but after a few moments' pause circle back around the house to see if any servants are evident. Whether it proves possible to update 'Moiselle Ruby or not, he has some calls to make.

The day has got no warmer whilst he's been inside, and d'Anjou can't help but wonder, as the cold licks up his spine, why doing his best to avoid a war feels like he's just started one.
The Keeper
 GM, 168 posts
Thu 21 Apr 2016
at 03:04
IVB - The Chairman
Circling the garish mansion, d'Anjou reaches the now familiar garden, the statue of the angel a stark sight against the now overcast sky. A steady breeze winds through the barren rose bushes, their limbs rustling with its passing.

Glancing to the back of the home, the detective spies Ruby Delton, seated on the step in front of the entrance to the estate's kitchen, smoking a cigarette, her quiet demeanor suggesting that she is deep in thought.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 176 posts
Thu 21 Apr 2016
at 07:32
IVB - The Chairman
d'Anjou slips around the house to step softly up to the young maid's side. "'Moiselle Ruby?"

He makes an odd offering gesture, though carrying nothing. When her gaze is drawn to it, then him, he gives a Reynardine smile. "Please accept the complete lack of flowers I could scrounge off the bushes on the way over," he jokes, and settles on the edge of her step.

A glance behind confirms no-one's imminently about to disturb or step on them; d'Anjou looks over, attention wholly on Ruby. "How's it going with you?"
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 4 posts
Fri 22 Apr 2016
at 16:11
IVB - The Chairman
Delton smiles warmly at the detective. "Why, Mr. d'Anjou! What a nice surprise, flowers or no."

When d'Anjou is seated, the maid says, "I've been doing all right, despite how crazy it's been lately. But I have thought about calling you on a couple of occasions."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 177 posts
Fri 22 Apr 2016
at 18:01
IVB - The Chairman
"Glad to hear it," d'Anjou remarks of coping, with sincerity.

He gets out his notebook, turning it right-side up and toying with the cover a moment. "Tell me? I've got a place for the murder and a lead on the killer, but any strangeness might be of import." He looks over, serious. "Unless you mean you'd call me because you felt unsafe?"
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 5 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 17:23
IVB - The Chairman
Delton looks at d'Anjou pointedly. "It's been because I've felt frightened." She indicates the front of the house with a bob of her head. "In the last couple of days, some of those people that have been handling decorations for the Krewe, they've been watching the house." She points to the garden. "We even found one of them back here yesterday, wandering around."

She shakes her head. "It seems like the closer it gets to Mardi Gras, the more of we see of them. They're all pretty spooky, if you ask me. And it's like they're keeping an eye on Mr. Bouchard, even though he's in charge of the Krewe."

"Of course, he's been drinking more than usual. I don't think he's even noticed that they've been around."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 178 posts
Sat 23 Apr 2016
at 17:53
IVB - The Chairman
Simon looks entirely serious. "My door is figuratively always open, and literally equipped with a deadbolt," he says, concerned.

He looks for any of Screech's goons currently hiding in the shrubbery. "Fortunately they can't keep an eye on his telephone line...they're concerned he might blow their cover. They're moving something big, something highly illegal on the day before Mardi Gras, and they've already killed to protect it; they're jumpy."
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 6 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 13:14
IVB - The Chairman
Scanning the area, the detective sees no sign of any of Screech's henchmen. Save for himself and Delton, the garden is unoccupied.

Delton's eyes widen at d'Anjou's words. "Msr. Bouchard...he doesn't always make wise decisions, but I know he wouldn't want to be part of something criminal. Surely, he didn't know about what they were up to."

She frowns, considering. "You said they've...killed someone? You don't mean Peter, do you? Are they the reason he became so interested in the Krewe?"
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 179 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2016
at 22:02
IVB - The Chairman
The detective shakes his head, sets down the notebook, and lights up. "He wasn't in charge of hiring. One of the other board members is under the influence of the gang boss, a houngan of some stripe..." d'Anjou trails off, thoughts skipping from Screech to signs to dreams. He freezes a moment rather than shudder, then shakes it off.

He nods grimly to 'Moiselle Ruby's surmises. "I think he was genuinely interested in the Krewe for itself at the start, then tripped over the Yellow Whirly Sign operation by accident and realised he had a much bigger story. The houngan and some of his people cornered myself and an associate for a little genteel intimidation earlier-" he throws a grin across to allieviate any concern for him "-normal part of this job - and he pretty much told me straight up that Peter was killed for finding too much."

He holds up a hand in a 'calm' gesture. "Nothing unambiguous enough for a serious case, but I'm working on it. The police may be compromised to some extent, so please, don't tell anyone who might rile these goons up by running over there." He looks at her, serious. "Please. I'm trusting you with this because I feel compelled to be honest with you. You've lost your friend, and-" d'Anjou fails to grasp the half-formed 'and', hesitating before moving on:

"-I...think some things only have power - real, freezing power to intimidate and put you in a funk - if you think you're alone in seeing the significance of them. So, ah, yes, your instincts are right, but we're not in Peter's position and I'm - we're getting this straightened out."


Real smooth, he thinks to himself sarcastically, wondering what it is that has him stumbling on words, rattled beneath the surface.
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 7 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 02:10
IVB - The Chairman
Delton listened attentively as the detective explained the situation. The young woman nodded, fear registering on her face when d'Anjou confirms the role of Screech and his minions in the death of Peter Garvin. When d'Anjou has finished speaking she lights another cigarette, silent for a long moment as she gazes out at the garden.

"I'll do as you say, Mr d'Anjou. I trust you. It honestly seems just like you describe. Those people...they're just keeping watch on us. I guess, as long as we don't interfere with...whatever they're trying to do, they'll leave us be."

She looks back at him. "But be careful. Please. I don't want you to end up like Peter did."

"Do you...do you really think you'll be able to put a stop to them? To bring them to justice somehow?"

Simon d'Anjou
 player, 182 posts
Thu 28 Apr 2016
at 20:06
IVB - The Chairman
"That's exactly it," d'Anjou affirms. He takes a drag and smiles.

"I freely pledge to continue to do my best not to die,"
he promises, then somewhat more seriously: "-even if it's in the Whirly Sign Gang's interest that I do so."

"I do,"
the detective says, nodding. "Whichever of them was directly responsable for Peter's death, at the least, but hopefully enough to make the city safe, the rest scattered to the winds. And, ah-" he checks the kitchen door again and rubs the back of his neck briefly with his free hand. "-Simon."

"We're sitting on a kitchen back step smoking like twelve-year-olds; proud as I am of being the King of France, it feels strange to stand on ceremony."
His smile might not truly take off the chill of the wind or the grim report, but he tries.
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 8 posts
Sun 1 May 2016
at 21:44
IVB - The Chairman
Delton nods and smiles. "Simon it is," she says. "I'm really grateful for all you've done. I mean, I'm sure whoever has you looking into this isn't paying you to check up on Msr. Bouchard's servants."

"And, just so you know, if doing the decorations for the Krewe is supposed to keep attention away from those strange people, it hasn't worked too well. Msr. Bouchard has been complaining about them all week. He says that the floats they've made don't make any sense and those weird posters don't help to promote the Krewe at all. Yesterday, he was going around the house saying that it was the first and last time those decorators worked for the Krewe of the Swords. Between you and me, I think he's embarrassed by what they've put together."

Simon d'Anjou
 player, 184 posts
Mon 2 May 2016
at 18:28
IVB - The Chairman
"Oh, de rien - I hope that someday soon I'll be something other than your personal omen of skullduggery afoot and have something good to report," the detective says. His tone is reassuring, casual, though his attention is sincerely on 'moiselle Ruby (particularly the slip of smile that shone from amidst her halo of smoke).

"What have they put together?" he asks, raising his eyebrows to the float comments. "Are they...oddly-shaped, like something should fit underneath, or in the embellishments?" Bouchard's embarrassment entertains d'Anjou a moment's space.

"Hopefully terrible floats will be the height of his worries. I think the whirly sign means something else to those that can read it, but as yet I haven't found out what."
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 8 posts
Tue 3 May 2016
at 16:06
IVB - The Chairman
Delton shakes her head. "No...Msr. Bouchard never mentioned strange shapes, just that it seemed like what the floats picture don't have anything to do with Mardi Gras, or even New Orleans." She laughs, quickly covering her mouth with her hand. "I shouldn't make fun. I know it's all very important to Msr. Bouchard, but it's just amazing that these people got it all so wrong."

"Ben, Msr. Bouchard's driver, said he's seen the floats a couple of times. One is of this weird city that looks really old, but not one that anyone's going to know. He said the building's don't even look like a design people would recognize, like the Greeks or Romans, or, even say, Arabia. Ben said it actually gave him a headache to look at, it was so bizarre."


She suppresses another giggle. "The other one's of a king, all dressed in yellow clothes, from head to to toe, sitting on a throne." She looks at d'Anjou. "You've lived hear long enough to know that every Mardi Gras parade has a king...a real person, who throws beads and such to the crowd. Msr. Ducrest is supposed to be it for the Krewe this year. Anyway, you don't make a float with just a king figure on it. It's just not done."

She inhales on her cigarette, exhaling a long stream of smoke. "Ben said the first time Msr. Bouchard saw the floats, he came straight home and locked himself upstairs with a couple of bottles of whiskey."

Tapping the ash of her cigarette. "So you really don't know what that symbol is? I've never liked it. It doesn't look like any kind of good luck that I'd want to have."

This message was last updated by the player at 16:06, Tue 03 May 2016.

Simon d'Anjou
 player, 188 posts
Wed 4 May 2016
at 06:49
IVB - The Chairman
the detective gives a bemused snort that's almost a laugh. "Maybe we can add 'modern art' to their charges, though I do wonder about the storage space within a bunch of buildings, or a yellow Emperor..." he grins over at 'moiselle Ruby. "...I'd assume the intent would be for M. Ducrest to lie in the lap of the Orient - raw cheek from the gang, but wouldn't that be a sight to see?"

He almost coughs, trying not to catch Ruby's giggles, which are better to think on than old, strange cities. Dreams of dark halls and shapeless dread. "Heh. Ah, no...I had someone visit Del Rio, but he didn't know, I don't think. Papa Screech, the houngan, claimed he dreamed it up himself, but I'm certain I've seen it elsewhere."

"Of course, now they're everywhere the familiarity might be retroactive...that much of a thing messes with your head. All the same...I'm just sure I've seen it before, just can't put my finger on it."

Ruby Delton
 NPC, 9 posts
Fri 6 May 2016
at 19:20
IVB - The Chairman
From inside the kitchen, both Delton and d'Anjou hear the sound of Mrs. DeCamp's voice, calling for Ruby.

The maid smiles and pats the detective's forearm. "That's my cue. You be careful dealing with these strange people. And make sure to come back and let me know what's happened."

She crushes out her cigarette on the cement step and stands. "Thank you for everything. I'm serious, though. Don't get yourself in any trouble, okay?"

With that, Delton disappears into the house.

d'Anjou makes his way back to the front of the estate, casting another look at the front of the ill designed home before drifting away, a rumble of thunder rolling through some distant point in the slowly darkening sky.