V - Standing Stones.   Posted by The Keeper.Group: 0
The Keeper
 GM, 338 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 05:42
Re: V - Standing Stones
Moving down the muddy path to the collection of crude huts, the investigators find that a dense silence has settled over the marshland community. Nothing stirs among the rickety homes, their occupants apparently all in the nearby city, going about work for a leader who has departed.

The four men reach the hut that holds the gate without encountering anyone. The hovel is just as they remember it, the dark scrawlings of alien characters still present on the rear wall.
Nicholas Cattaneo
 NPC, 14 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 05:42
Re: V - Standing Stones
Cattaneo enters the hut, regarding the series of symbols which form the portal. Glancing back at the investigators, he says, "Taking down this wall shouldn't be too much of a chore, if everyone pitches in. The material's fairly sturdy, but thin."

"Or we could just use the explosive I prepared."


OOC: The female cultist and Fowler followed Hackett's suggestion and returned to the huts, presumably to use the gate to return to Fowler's home. They are nowhere to be seen at present.
Colonel Travis
 player, 336 posts
 Age 54 APP 6 SIZ 12
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 17:39
Re: V - Standing Stones
"Let's try to break it off first, just to see how it's made. If that doesn't do the trick, I suppose we could dynamite it," he said.

He walked over to the hut, and started trying to help dismantle the wall, to see how Simon's trick would have worked.
Kirby Hackett
 player, 270 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 18:36
Re: V - Standing Stones
Hackett shoves the device and a box of matches back into his bag and goes to the truck to get a crowbar.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 411 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 18:52
Re: V - Standing Stones
"I think if we all just pushed at the top corners together that'd do it: the nails look pretty old," d'Anjou puts in as Hackett walks off.
Kirby Hackett
 player, 271 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 21:08
Re: V - Standing Stones
In reply to Simon d'Anjou (msg # 119):

"Man is the tool-using animal, Simon. It's what separates us from the brutes," Kirby calls over his shoulder as he finds the crowbar.
The Keeper
 GM, 339 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 00:13
Re: V - Standing Stones
Gathering inside the hut, the four men set to work, Cattaneo and Hackett using crowbars on the visible seams of the section of wall while Travis and d'Anjou lend their strength to pushing it free from the rest of the structure. After roughly ten minutes of effort, the wall tears free of the rest of the small building, separating with a sound that is not unlike that of a tree being felled.

The section lands behind the hut on the damp ground, its strange symbols still intact. Peering down at it, the investigators can see that the odd translucence that characterizes the "gate" within the framework of alien markings can still be glimpsed when the portal is watched closely.
Colonel Travis
 player, 337 posts
 Age 54 APP 6 SIZ 12
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 00:16
Re: V - Standing Stones
"Simon, you wanna go toss this in the swamp, or what?" he asked.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 412 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 08:09
Re: V - Standing Stones
"Yes, but hang on," the detective responds, and takes a pace to the side to pick up a rock and drop it into the horizontal portal.
The Keeper
 GM, 340 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 17:31
Re: V - Standing Stones
The dropped stone disappears when it reaches the portal, presumably traveling through the air with the same momentum when it enters Fowler's home.
Nicholas Cattaneo
 NPC, 15 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 17:34
Re: V - Standing Stones
Cattaneo blinks in wonder as the rock vanishes. "That...that's not right," he says, "Maybe we should blow the thing up."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 414 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 19:15
Re: V - Standing Stones
"It still works!" d'Anjou enthuses, grinning. "The rock is in New Orleans. But, er, yes, I think we should throw it in the swamp. Door side down. It'll float, right?"
Kirby Hackett
 player, 273 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 22:27
Re: V - Standing Stones
"I'd rather destroy it somehow. Hang on-- "

The reporter thinks for a moment.

"If the rock wound up in Fowler's house, and we sink this thing in the swamp... Will we drain the swamp right into Fowler's home?"
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 416 posts
Mon 23 Jan 2017
at 22:42
Re: V - Standing Stones
Simon scrubs his hand through his hair uncertainly. "Well, yes, if it sank...but most wooden things float, right?"
Colonel Travis
 player, 341 posts
 Age 54 APP 6 SIZ 12
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 18:40
Re: V - Standing Stones
"I don't know why we're wasting time belaboring the issue. What do you care if we blow it up or throw it in the swamp, Simon? How about we just crack the frame? I'm not sure I understand the idea behind wanting to preserve this devilry," he said.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:31, Tue 24 Jan.

Simon d'Anjou
 player, 420 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 20:28
Re: V - Standing Stones
"It seems rather a waste of resources to blow it up...and c'mon, it's the only magic door we're ever likely to come across, it would be like...I don't know, discovering the X-ray and then throwing out the plates. Hell, we could even sell this thing - I know a guy - but I'd rather have it right now in a position angry people with guns can't reach us if they come out of it," Simon explains, still a little exciteable from adrenaline.
Colonel Travis
 player, 342 posts
 Age 54 APP 6 SIZ 12
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 21:34
Re: V - Standing Stones
"Somethin' ain't right about it. I wouldn't feel too good just sellin' it to somebody without them knowin' the devilry this was put to use for. When I stepped through that portal...it just felt wrong. I don't know how to explain it," he said.

"Besides, this leads into Fowler's house. Hasn't that man been taken advantage of enough already?"


Nicholas Cattaneo
 NPC, 16 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 21:38
Re: V - Standing Stones
"I don't want to speak out of turn," Cattaneo says, "But something like that...something that's so unnatural...maybe blowing it up is a sound idea."
Colonel Travis
 player, 343 posts
 Age 54 APP 6 SIZ 12
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 21:42
Re: V - Standing Stones
"Not out of turn at all, Nick. Your help was essential in handling these evil folks and their unholy rites. You've as much of a say as any of us. Shall we put it to a vote like civilized folk?" he asked.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 421 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 21:45
Re: V - Standing Stones
"...it just seems like an awful waste, destroying it." d'Anjou toes at the edge of the disjointed wall.

"Fowler might know how to move his end out of his house, anyhow...I think we ought to haul it in the swamp, but sure we can vote. It's your dynamite."

Kirby Hackett
 player, 274 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 22:31
Re: V - Standing Stones
In reply to Simon d'Anjou (msg # 134):

"You've had a really hectic day, Simon, what with sky alligators and Screech and blowing stuff up and the King in... in the doorway of the City That Wasn't There. Things like that can stir a man up.

"But what would a magic door into somebody's house really do for you? Or for anybody? It sure didn't do Fowler any good. And like the Colonel says, this was made by an evil guy for some really evil purposes. Maybe that evil would seep out of this door and poison your whole life.

"I think it's best to destroy the thing and have done with it. That's how I'll vote, if we have to vote. But I'd rather we just all came to a mutual decision.

"What do you say, Simon?"

Nicholas Cattaneo
 NPC, 16 posts
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 21:56
Re: V - Standing Stones
Cattaneo looks down at the gate. "Well...I'm for destroying it. Whether that's breaking it up with crowbars, setting it on fire, or using the bomb I prepared, I'm not particular. I just don't think it should be left for someone else to find."

This message was last updated by the player at 21:56, Fri 27 Jan.

Simon d'Anjou
 player, 422 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 22:42
Re: V - Standing Stones
d'Anjou fidgets a bit, unsure his own self why he feels quite so compelled to protect this artefact. "I say...there's still the question of blowing it up blowing the bottom of Fowler's house up, too. If we mean to trash it, maybe we should just set it on fire?"

"If it has witchcraft in, I don't think we want to break it up by hand."
He fidgets some more, glancing off towards the swamp. "Really, though, it's all of twelve paces to the water over there..." The detective trails off wistfully, though he doesn't seem inclined to argue with any sensible method of destruction.
Nicholas Cattaneo
 NPC, 17 posts
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 22:01
Re: V - Standing Stones
Nodding, Cattaneo moves off to his truck, returning with a can of gasoline. He sprinkles a small amount on the wall, lighting it a moment later with a match.

The wood burns steadily, slowly growing black on the damp earth until, in time,  it is reduced to a broken collection of glowing embers, the last wisps of smoke drifting away over the treetops, the alien symbols that comprised the gate utterly lost.
The Keeper
 GM, 344 posts
Fri 27 Jan 2017
at 22:02
Re: V - Standing Stones
The Mardi Gras celebration rolls on, the city-wide party continuing without pause in "the city that care forgot", the revelers blissfully unaware of the danger that has been averted only a few miles from New Orleans. As the last days proceed, even casual observers note that attitudes in New Orleans have undergone a shift, the hostility that had overtaken so many in the previous week dissipating, allowing the carefree carnival spirit to take hold once more.

With only hours to go, Denis Bouchard, President of the Krewe of the Swords, contacts city officials and the police, explaining that due to a series of unforeseen circumstances, the Krewe will be unable to conduct its scheduled parade. Although the announcement is met with disappointment by the waiting crowd, any lingering upset is forgotten as the floats of the Krewe of Proteus begin their slow travel down St. Charles Avenue.

Likewise, invited guests are informed by telephone that the Krewe of the Swords' masquerade ball, originally to take place at the home of Randall Fowler, has been cancelled due to an unexpected illness. Instead, the Krewe hosts a dinner at the renowned Antoine's, which was hastily arranged with the gracious assistance of the restaurant's staff. At said event, Mssr. Bouchard is quick to assure guests that the Krewe's traditional ball will return in all of its splendor when Mardi Gras arrives next year.

A week after the celebrations fall silent with the coming of Lent, the Krewe's headquarters on Dauphine is quietly put up for sale. Jason Ducrest, who handles many financial matters for the organization tells a few curious supporters that the Krewe is seeking a new facility that is better suited to its growing needs.

In the same week, Detective Thomas Quinn leads a group of five uniformed officers out into the bayou, to an area not far from that raided by his predecessor, John Legrasse, years before. The policemen find only the remnants of a settlement, most of the shacks that apparently once stood there having been reduced to broken pieces of lumber, their residents having vacated, leaving no hint as to where they have gone. A nearby clearing, which appears as though it was the victim of a recent storm, provides no additional clues regarding the vanished inhabitants.

Dr Winston Botterill of Tulane University finds his most recent paper regarding a unique biological discovery rejected and discredited by all of the prominent zoological journals, a few of which condemn his findings as fraudulent. The article finally finds a home with a small journal published in Ireland which is devoted primarily to paleontology. It is not widely read.

After a month, Randall Fowler begins to slowly emerge from his prior, hermit like existence, once again involving himself in his financial affairs and donating many of his free hours to assisting nurses and other caregivers at Charity Hospital. In time, he becomes a fixture on weekend afternoons, where he reads stories to the children who are patients there. He also begins to regularly attend services at the Hellenic Orthodox Church. Acquaintances comment that Fowler's demeanor has returned to the kind hearted friendliness that they had become familiar with prior to the loss of his family.

Upon learning that the case has been resolved, Etienne-Laurent de Marigny instructs his servant, Phan Thi Lan, to deliver to each of the investigators the balance of the funds owed them. When the occultist returns from his travels several weeks later, he invites Hackett, Travis, and d'Anjou to dinner at his home, where he listens intently to the account of their discoveries, asking occasional questions for clarification, but never evidincing any doubt regarding the veracity of their story. At the evening's conclusion, he thanks the three men profusely, characterizing their efforts as, "...heroism that can never be given the recognition it deserves." When the trio depart, de Marigny accepts one of the copies of. The King in Yellow for study and safe keeping. He assures each of the investigators that if he can ever be of service to any of them, they need only ask.

With the efforts of the patrolmen of the New Orleans Police Department, the posters bearing the Yellow Sign quickly disappear from the French Quarter and its surrounding neighborhoods, as well as the Magazine Street area and Uptown. Slowly, time and the elements take care of those that have been hung in the outlying districts of the city, the wind depositing many of the tattered placards in the Mississippi, which carries them away, to the sea.

OOC: Thanks, everyone. It's been a privilege.