IIA - The Garden District.   Posted by The Keeper.Group: 0
The Keeper
 GM, 41 posts
Sat 29 Aug 2015
at 15:38
IIA - The Garden District
Utilizing the information from Garvin's notes, d'Anjou found the residence of Denis Brouchard easy to locate. The home is difficult to miss. The three story mansion, which combines Greek and Gothic motifs, sits on grounds that occupy the majority of a city block within the wealthy Garden District. The house is surrounded by an eight foot tall stone wall, covered in crawling ivy. An iron gate, which is standing open when d'Anjou arrives, permits access to a large, well maintained yard. To the left of the home stands a garage capable of holding three or four automobiles. As d'Anjou steps inside, he spies a servant polishing the body of a gleaming roadster.

A path of gray brick leads up the the front door, which is closed. A simple placard has been mounted on the door, a carefully crafted, hand painted sign which bears the following symbol:


Simon d'Anjou
 player, 35 posts
Sat 29 Aug 2015
at 20:39
IIA - The Garden District
That is a nice car and one hideous house, d'Anjou thought, deciding to act like he was supposed to be there and ambling down the drive like he owned it.

"Good morning!" he greeted the servant. "-possibly," he conceeded, looking up at the unhelpful glower of the sky. "Is M.Brouchard in?"
The Keeper
 GM, 46 posts
Sat 5 Sep 2015
at 19:18
IIA - The Garden District
The servant, somewhat preoccupied with his work, is mildly startled when d'Anjou calls out. He manages a smile as he regards the detective carefully, apparently coming to the conclusion that, based on d'Anjou's attire, he is likely a friend of Brouchard.

The servant nods. "I haven't seen him out today, sir. So I'm certain he's home. Probably just finished breakfast. Mr. Brouchard is a late sleeper."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 36 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 17:14
IIA - The Garden District
The response gets a laugh. "You pre-empted my next question: 'is he awake'...but I'm not about to disturb him at breakfast. It'd probably be pointless before the coffee kicked in, anyway. Just, hm," d'Anjou considers a moment. "-let him know that Simon d'Anjou would like a big yellow sign like his, if he asks. I might drop by again if I'm still awake later."

His use of the word 'still' suggested something of the man who has been awake since the evening before and is still going strong on the transluscent sensation of second wind. Admiring the car, d'Anjou rocks back on his heels a moment. With a not-quite-casual casualness that might amuse the car-cleaner, d'Anjou glances up the drive and speaks again:

"Say, that brown-haired girl, 'bout my complexion, eyes like a fairweather sea...she really is a secretary, right?"
d'Anjou glanced to the chaffeur, letting his tone colour with the hope that "'moiselle Ruby" was not a part-time arm-ornament or anything more intimate to her employer.
The Keeper
 GM, 48 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2015
at 00:07
IIA - The Garden District
The servant, a heavyset man with thick, curly, salt and pepper hair and a ruddy complexion, halts his work and chuckles. "Ruby? A secretary?" He shakes his head. "Someone gave you some bad information. Was it her? Ruby's one of the maids. She does good enough work, but she likes to talk a little too much, if you get my meaning."

He glances over at the placard on the door. "I can sure ask Mr. Brouchard for one of those signs. The folks that are making the decorations for the Krewe have made a lot of them lately. Posted 'em all over town."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 38 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2015
at 17:35
IIA - The Garden District
"Mutual aquaintance," d'Anjou half-mutters, seemingly taking a moment to recalculate the difference in social status and propriety. Only a moment, though: little could deter this man. "I, ah, just saw her about and-" became hopelessly infatuated, his manner suggested. "-thought I'd like to get to know her. Do you know when she's off work?"

The detective smiles at the prospect of a festive yellow sign, pleased if a little distracted. "I've seen! Their warehouse must be full already at that rate," he said, mentally trying to work out the drop from a warehouse roof to a surface on the water.
The Keeper
 GM, 51 posts
Sat 12 Sep 2015
at 16:08
IIA - The Garden District
The servant smirks knowingly. He glances at his wristwatch. "Well, I didn't tell you this, but breakfast is done. You might find her around back. She might be taking a break for a cigarette. Or, she could be working on the laundry about now."

He points to a space between the garage and house, where a well worn path leads to the rear of the mansion. "Good luck, he offers, before returning to his work on the expensive automobile.

Glancing up, d'Anjou notices the sky slowly darkening. A moment later, he hears a distant rumble of thunder.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 39 posts
Sun 13 Sep 2015
at 14:28
IIA - The Garden District
"I didn't hear it," the detective says cheerfully, raising a hand in salute and starting off. "Thanks."

He slips around the back a little furtively, trusting the servant wouldn't report his presence whilst he was chasing maids like a seventeen-year-old. Noting the likely-approaching downpour, he keeps close to the eaves, fishing a carton of cigarettes from his jacket as he glances at the sky.

The next glance is about the servants' yard, keenly seeking someone of the description of the mysterious Mademoiselle Ruby.
The Keeper
 GM, 54 posts
Sun 13 Sep 2015
at 23:46
IIA - The Garden District
Stepping around to the rear of the estate, d'Anjou finds himself faced with a large garden. Neatly trimmed hedges and rose bushes, barren from the lingering presence of winter, are arranged around a statue of a female angel with outstretched arms, head raised to the sky.

To his right, d'Anjou sees a door standing open at the rear of the house. Two young women clad in black and white maid uniforms are loitering a short distance from the door, both smoking cigarettes. Both women have stylishly short hair. One is blonde haired and has a pale complexion and is a few inches shorter than the other woman, who has dark hair and deeply tanned skin. As he draws closer, d'Anjou can see that the second young woman has striking green eyes. Sitting at the two women's feet is a basket filled with linens.

Pausing in their conversation, both women turn their attention to the detective as he approaches.
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 40 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 17:40
IIA - The Garden District
Tipping his hat to the blonde, d'Anjou gives her a warm smile as he approaches. "Good morning, or possibly...around noonish," he greets her, and then turns his attention wholly on the dark girl.

He brings her free hand to his lips, using the gesture to gently pull her nearer him. "Mademoiselle Ruby," he says, and steps in to murmur at her ear, perfectly enunciated but too low for the other to catch: "Simon d'Anjou, private detective investigating the death of M'seur Peter Garvin. May I have some moments of your time?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:41, Mon 14 Sept 2015.

Ruby Delton
 NPC, 1 post
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 03:55
IIA - The Garden District
Ruby smiles as d'Anjou approaches, then her eyes widen in shock as the detective whispers in her ear, her reaction a clear sign that she was unaware of Garvin's death.

Looking to the blonde girl, she says, "Jeannie, could you see to the laundry for a minute. I really need to speak with this man. It's important."

Jeannie nods and turns her attention to the linens as d'Anjou and Ruby step over to the corner of the mansion. Her eyes bright with tears, Ruby asks, "Peter's dead? When? Can you tell me what happened to him?"
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 41 posts
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 19:22
IIA - The Garden District
"Ten days ago," d'Anjou responds, gently putting an arm around her shoulders, both for the sake of his cover and because she really looks like she needs a hug. "He fell from a height, having sustained some injury, and his body was placed near the Tulane University Science Building to resemble a suicide."

The brightness of tears made d'Anjou frown in sympathy and see if she would accept being drawn a little closer. "I'm sorry, Mademoiselle, I did not know he was your friend...my information was that you were one of his sources for the article he was writing around the time of his death. Here, swap."

Deft-fingered, the detective took Ruby's half-forgotten cigarette from her and proffered his unlit one at lip height to take, ready to light one from the other. "What did he say at that last meeting, and what did you tell him?"

d'Anjou glanced briefly down the back of the building to check that they were hard to casually observe, dropping his voice a little as he met her gaze. "-and are you safe here?"
Ruby Delton
 NPC, 2 posts
Sat 19 Sep 2015
at 17:48
IIA - The Garden District
Ruby accepts d'Anjou's cigarette gratefully, inhaling the smoke shakily when the detective lights it. A pair of tears travel down each side of her face, which she clumsily wipes away with the heel of her hand.

When she speaks, it is hesitantly. "I had met Peter to give him some information for his article. He was writing about Mr. Bouchard and the Krewe he's part of. The Krewe of the Swords." She looks down at the ground. "I had just hoped that maybe...maybe I would have a chance to get to know him outside of his work. Y'know?"

Ruby sighs and shakes her head. "When I talked to Peter last, he was trying to find out about the symbol that the Krewe workers were putting on the posters they were making. Like the one on the front door. I could only tell him what I'd heard from Mr. Bouchard. He told Mrs. DeCamp, our boss, that it was some kind of good luck symbol."

"But the thing is, I don't think Mr. Bouchard hired the people that make the decorations. He mainly handles the bigger things, like the parade arrangements and setting up the ball. I think one of the other Krewe members hired all of the decorators."


She looks back up at d'Anjou. "I told Peter that he might talk to man named Albert Del Rio. He runs a bookstore in the Quarter. He specializes in books about spiritualism and that kind of thing. My mother's big into Tarot cards. I've been in there a few times with her. I thought Mr. Del Rio might know something about the symbol."

Ruby turns, looking back at Jeannie, who has begun hanging sheets on the clothesline. Turning her attention to the detective again, she says, "I don't...I think everything is fine. I'm not in any danger that I know of. Everything's been normal here. I mean, Mr. Bouchard has been drinking more than usual, but he usually does around Mardi Gras."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 43 posts
Sun 20 Sep 2015
at 19:15
IIA - The Garden District
The detective is content to hold her as long as she needs to get herself back together, not in the least judgemental of the tears. "Ah. I take it you have no-one who might have considered M. Garvin a rival? Or noticed any...friends of his, that might take exception to his meeting a very lovely lady for quiet talking, late at night?"

He considers this. "Mmm, it's rather striking. Sort of Thibetan-ish, or maybe African...do you know where the decorators work, or which of the Krewe would be likely to be in charge of them?" Warehouse-unloading-alcohol his thoughts ran, considering what sort of guarded opertation Garvin might have run into.

"Del Rio,"
d'Anjou repeats for the sake of remembering the name. "I'll be sure to ask him if Peter did drop by; there's a considerable gap between Peter's last known movements and the site of his discovery that will take some digging to draw closed. Did you meet regularly? Do you know if he tried to contact you at any point between your last meeting and Monday the 23rd?"

A vulpine smirk spreads across d'Anjou's features at the mention of extra Mardi Gras drinking, though it fades fast. "If I may be a little bold," he says softly, "-if you are sure you are out of suspicion for anything Garvin found out, I am willing to pay a consideration for information on any unusual activity or visitors to the Krewe."

He follows her gaze a moment, taking a drag of her old nearly-gone cigarette and watching the exhaled smoke coil a calignous frame about the figure hanging sheets in the skirt of a storm. "-But if you feel there is any danger, Mademoiselle, any hint that things are badly wrong, please come to me." He takes his arm from her shoulders to hand her a card. "I believe Peter Garvin may have stumbled on something very big and very dangerous, but not felt the feeling in his gut was enough."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:20, Tue 22 Sept 2015.

Ruby Delton
 NPC, 3 posts
Sun 20 Sep 2015
at 23:55
IIA - The Garden District
Ruby shakes her head in response to d'Anjou's first question. "I don't remember Peter ever talking about any enemies. And I don't think any one that I know was jealous about me meeting with him. Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine anyone disliking him. He was nice. Sweet, really."

Taking another drag on her cigarette, she pauses in thought. "I know Mr. Bouchard mentioned once, when he was going to the Krewe headquarters, that it was somewhere in the Quarter. But if he ever gave the address, I don't remember it. He never said who was in charge of the decorators. I do remember, once, when he was talking to Ms. DeCamp, he said that he wasn't very fond of them. He said they were...uncouth is the word I think he used. That he didn't really trust them, but that they were cheap to hire."

She shakes her head regretfully. "I didn't talk to Peter after the last night we met at his boarding house. He gave me the number there. I...thought about calling him a few times. Just to talk. But I could never come up with a decent excuse, so I never did."

Listening intently to the detective's words, she accepts his business card gratefully. "I'll call if I hear or notice anything strange. I promise."

She pauses, then adds, "If you do find out what happened to Peter, would you let me know? If someone hurt him, I hope you can find them and make them pay for what they did."
Simon d'Anjou
 player, 45 posts
Tue 22 Sep 2015
at 22:07
IIA - The Garden District
The detective pulled one last glow from the cigarette, listening. "Industrious, though," he remarked of the uncouth workforce, musing that having posters all over the city made it more than safe - wise, even - to leave one of their symbols in the dead man's grip. It could've come from anywhere.

"Thank you,"
he repiled to the earnestness, then took her free hand once more to touch her knuckles to his lips with delicate chivalry. When he looked up it was the kind of gaze that told a woman that whatever she was to everyone else, at that moment she was spotlit in his world, though his tone was serious. "Mademoiselle, if I should find, with good evidence, such a person, and they do not fall to the gallows, I swear I will bring you some of their teeth."

The cold eases from d'Anjou's voice and a smile melts it away. "-and if you need a story as to why I'm here, tell them you caught the eye of the rightful king of France." He grins, clowning a little and glad not to have reduced the girl to a sobbing heap. "Technically true, if you ignore a few more-or-less bastard branches, fifteenth-century politics and a couple or so upstart dynasties...but it sounds swell, huh? See you 'round, I hope."

With that, d'Anjou makes to leave the ladies to their laundry.