February 19, 1920 - The Swamps.   Posted by Keeper.Group: 0
Micheal Fitzhugh
 player, 359 posts
 Fast talker
 Fast thinker
Thu 11 Oct 2018
at 16:08
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Fitz shakes his head in disbelief. ”Being straight with us from the start would have solved a lot of problems!” He was visibly shaken, though not actually shaking, and the whites of his knuckles were clear as he gripped the shotgun in rage and frustration. The gu came up to his shoulder as he drew a head on the man - thing’s - face, prone as it was before them.

”Now is not the time to be a viper. Be honest about what you are and who else is involved.” He didn’t need to rack the action for effect; it was clear he was ready to shoot.
Laszlo Ladmann
 player, 223 posts
 Professor of Archeology
Mon 15 Oct 2018
at 19:00
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
OOC: Not exactly certain who Laszlo managed to find, if anyone, or where he is in relation to things.
Keeper
 GM, 585 posts
Wed 24 Oct 2018
at 16:50
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
The size of the man's body increases slowly, he becoming about twice the height. A lean and scaly figure. His clothes are torn. His head widens, like that of a cobra.
The face continues to be human, with more youthful and subtle features. Harmonious features whose beauty is almost tempting, were it not ofr the dreadful image of the whole body. Overall, he assumes the great majesty of an Egyptian pharaon. He smiles with a mischievous and tempting grin, while his voice becomes soft.

"Do not ask such questions, they are not part of what an insignificant mortal can claim. Just take advantage that you mortals are still allowed to live."

The sky has now become completely dark, suddenly the sounds of drums coming from the village increases in volume. Now drums seem to be everywhere, as if the beats came from all the surrounding vegetation, echoing throughout the valley.

quote:
OOC: Not exactly certain who Laszlo managed to find, if anyone, or where he is in relation to things.

OOC: You said he looked for the nearest group of humans to hide among. These were Michael, Philip and the New Orleans cops. The others fled. So I assumed Laszlo followed the group.

Today: Keeper, on behalf of Phillip West, rolled 7 using 1d100.
Today: Keeper, on behalf of Micheal Fitzhugh, rolled 35 using 1d100.
Today: Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 84 using 1d100.
Today: Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 1 using 1d8.
Laszlo loses 1 sanity point

Phillip West
 Drifter, 197 posts
 Odd Jobs
 Loves Chicken Diner
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 12:34
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Phillip shivers at the sight of the man-snake thing. "Come on, I'll bet the real action is in the center of these shacks!"  Phillip moves toward the center of the huts.
Laszlo Ladmann
 player, 224 posts
 Professor of Archeology
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 19:06
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
The sheer madness of everything that had been seen was almost too much on Laszlos' nerves; he was beginning to crack at the seams.  His right eye began to twitch as he froze in place, his mouth silently agape as he eyed the man beast before him.  If it weren't for Phillip, he would have stayed glued to that spot, simply awaiting whatever may come.

Phillips words were all it took to pull him back to reality.  He was no longer concerned with any tribal connections or lost tribes, he simply wanted to get away and Phillip offered just that.  Putting his head down and fixing his gaze on Phillips back, Laszlo tore off through the woods after him, never once attempting to turn and see what had become of the giant serpent man.
Micheal Fitzhugh
 player, 360 posts
 Fast talker
 Fast thinker
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 17:26
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Fitz stood trnsfixed - not from horror, but from awe - as the man’s transformation took place before his very eyes. This was no parlor magician using dim lights and a paper mache mask to fool him into thinking he was a half-snake thug robbing a dead man’s house. This was something completely different. For a brief moment, the investigator wondered how many other people he’d met in his lifetime that were something completely different beneath the surface of their skin. It made him shiver involuntarily.

”Well damn!” Saying anything else was out of the question. He felt foolish and small and a bit out of his element. Then he remembered that this was a fight for survival between three groups of people, and he was in one of those groups.

”We have to talk later!” he shouted at the man-snake as he backed up slowly and covered the withdrawal of the other two. ”Don’t leave town!” His mind raced at what he could possibly ask the man, but he was bound and determined to get some answers before this whole thing was over.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:01, Mon 26 Nov 2018.

Keeper
 GM, 586 posts
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 20:02
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
When the three arrive in the village, they see that the huts are on fire, and a dense cloud of black smoke now mixes with the darkness of the night. At that moment, they see that the policemen are no longer around.

Walking among the huts, they trample fragments of human bodies, torn by the explosion of the sticks of dynamite. Some men of the village gathered in the central area. One of them seems to be their spiritual guide. He is black naked young man, wearing a flashy headpiece made of wood and adorned with feathers. A dozen black naked men stand just behind him wearing wooden masks. These people are visibly deformed, their body has two or three prominent protuberances coming out of the upper body. Some are simple additional arms, others are marine tentacles big as arms, horrible and unimaginable biological absurdities, desfiguring their human figure. The masked men are all armed with machetes.

Behind them, a mass of more people are gathered at the bottom of the village, in the left corner of the area, about 300 feet away from the smaller group. Some of them have torches in their hands. One of them is babbling something aloud, and everyone else is paying attention to him. As he speaks, something bright but unidentifiable appears above his head. A sort of luminous sphere, just a few feet in diameter. Its dimensions are growing slowly.

The chief has a walking stick in his hand. He extends his hand towards the investigators when he sees them coming, as if making a gesture to stop them. His face is serene, relaxed and not agressive, and maybe, such unnatural naturalness is what makes his figure scary. He extends his other hand towards the masked warriors, as if to prevent them from taking any initiative. He looks at the three adventurers with a deep, penetrating and investigative gaze. He waits for them to speak first.
Laszlo Ladmann
 player, 225 posts
 Professor of Archeology
Fri 23 Nov 2018
at 16:44
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Words, always a comfort and familiar friend to Laszlo, had now completely abandoned him.  His mind swirled in dizzying angles as far too much had been revealed that his rational could cope with.  His body was now no longer under his conscious control.  It had switched into auto pilot and blindly followed on the heels of Micheal and Phillip like a hungry pup.  His brain screamed for him to run, but his legs simply refused to respond.
Micheal Fitzhugh
 player, 362 posts
 Fast talker
 Fast thinker
Mon 26 Nov 2018
at 14:05
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
For once, Fitz was lost on how to proceed. Which one of these group was supposed to be the 'good' one? Was it infighting among cult members or two completely different religions that came over from some distant shore to continue their war?

He stood transfixed, because he had to, not because he was being forced to stop and stand still by the leader's outstretched hand.
Phillip West
 Drifter, 198 posts
 Odd Jobs
 Loves Chicken Diner
Mon 26 Nov 2018
at 16:59
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Phillip looks on in amazement! He says to Laszlo and Micheal, "Damn! Does this mixed up mess never end? I don't know if I'm coming or going."

Phillip then yells to the man with the walking stick, "Who are you and what are you doing?"
Keeper
 GM, 587 posts
Sat 1 Dec 2018
at 18:09
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
The man mentions a smile, and continues to look at the three, while his mind tries to find words to explain what people like them would hardly understand.

"I am nobody. We are nobody. This place we have recreated has been our refuge, and make as disappear from the influence of yours...  for so many years.. now.. finally... here comes our passage to finally abandon this hostile world."

As he says these words, he indicates the priest and the luminous sphere above his theta. While he blabbering something it grows, and its glow increases, like a miniature sun.

"Our mother savior, the mother of all Alusi. She is coming to take us with her. We have no reason to stay here, in a world dominated by our oppressors. She first gave us regenarating life and now she can give us salvation. You must be the friends of the old white man we stole the book from. His Serpent men tried to take it back but they failed. We don´t want to kill you... we´ll ask our mother to spare at least one of your lives. Whatever happens, you need to know that we took this path because of yours.. You white men started all this long ago."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:10, Sat 01 Dec 2018.

Phillip West
 Drifter, 199 posts
 Odd Jobs
 Loves Chicken Diner
Sun 2 Dec 2018
at 15:39
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Phillip comps down hard on his cigar.  He responds to the man with the walking stick in a defiant tone, "'To spare at least one of our lives, To spare at least one of our lives!' Damn!  We have not hurt anyone who has not attacked us first.  I don't mind you and your flock going, but I'll not die to get you outta here.  We all die or we all live!  Your choice!"
Phillip brings the dynamite stick close to the burning end of his cigar.
Micheal Fitzhugh
 player, 365 posts
 Fast talker
 Fast thinker
Sun 2 Dec 2018
at 20:42
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Fitz brings the shotgun up to his shoulder at the exchange between the two. "Yeah...don't talk to us about survival and then pretend we don't matter. Get out and stay out, or stay and stop killing people. But Phillip's right - we've been the defenders here all along...didn't start the fight, but we'll sure be in it to the end."

Though he has a determined look on his face, and his voice is strong, he still glances out of the corner of his eye with a small bit of nervousness at the explosive stick in his companion's hand.
Keeper
 GM, 588 posts
Thu 6 Dec 2018
at 20:40
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
The tribal leader keeps calm, as if the situation were under his control. He knows he can count on the fear his opponents have for the unknown.

"You really think you can solve this matter with that stick? You really believe you can kill us the way like would with one of your kind. We have learned to control nature... and human flesh as well, our mother taught us, whatever torns into pieces.. we will make it up again.. over and over again.. our mother will soon be here and this thing you have in your hand will be of no use..."

He pauses

"What we want is to leave this world... but to do that we have to make a breach.. for our mother to come and take us with her... we ´ll then disappear from this world and kill no more... other people like you...
Go away.. and let us do what we need to do... save yourselves until you're in time.
"

Meanwhile, the luminous sphere still increase in size and electrical discharges begin to appear around its perimeter. Dust and wind rise from the ground and a faint whirling current forms, finding its centripetal point in the core of the sphere. At this moment, the group sees a silhouette among the plants of the forest, staying there, half hidden behind the tribal chief. It is the great snake man and is staring at the scene. His reptile head is impassive and immobile, as if waiting for the right moment to attack a prey.
Laszlo Ladmann
 player, 227 posts
 Professor of Archeology
Mon 10 Dec 2018
at 18:21
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
OOC: Has anything that's been spoken ring a bell in poor Laszlo's rattled head?  More specifically, has anything the chief said registered as both true and good/bad?  Do I know this 'mother' he refers to and do I know if this would be a good or bad thing?
Keeper
 GM, 589 posts
Thu 20 Dec 2018
at 17:48
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
In reply to Laszlo Ladmann (msg # 34):

Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 23 using 1d100.  Anthropology .
Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 48 using 1d100.  Cthulhu Mythos.
Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 87 using 1d100.  Occult.
Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 40 using 1d100.  Listen.

OOC: Laszlo has never read anything related to this "mother". This is something new to him. He knows tribe is the same ancied tribe he studied in Africa years ago. Laszlo cas deduce that this "mother" should be a godness, related to the Alusi, the spirits of the african religions. This tribe use to follow an infernal version of those spirits. The godness would be an important deity in their Pantheon. At some point, he undersdands some words being uttered by the tribes men close to the light sfere. They are saying something about opening a passage. So, consider what Laszlo has been experiencing so far, and see if he thinks they are really evocating a Godness or just making tricks of light....

Laszlo Ladmann
 player, 229 posts
 Professor of Archeology
Sat 22 Dec 2018
at 04:39
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
With every ounce of will and fortitude he possesses, Laszlo forces his brain to seize upon his mouth and once more cause it to operate.  There is no time to form a speech; some diatribe on this and that.  No, his words were harsh and guttural, his throat straining, causing him to sound like a hermit who has not spoken in decades.  Pointing towards the sphere...

"that...is not...a good thing..."

His hand and voice shook in unison as his vision darted from his companions to the sphere and back.
Phillip West
 Drifter, 200 posts
 Odd Jobs
 Loves Chicken Diner
Mon 7 Jan 2019
at 15:27
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Phillip looks confused and then gets a murderous look on his face. To the man with the walking stick he says in an unfriendly tone, "'Go to hell or where ever that damnation is taking you.  We'll be free from you then.  As for the snakes, they die here and now!"
Phillip moves to within throwing range of the serpents, lights a dynamite stick, and throws it.
09:25, Today: Phillip West rolled 64 using 1d100.  Throw (25%): 75% - Toss dynamite at serpents.
Keeper
 GM, 590 posts
Wed 16 Jan 2019
at 02:38
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps

As they see the stick that is thrown at them, the chief and the tribe warriors try to run or jump away from there. (OOC: Philip must give some time to the fuse so as not to risk it exploding while in his hand). The dynamite makes a huge noise and raises a lot of earth everywhere. Earth, stones and pieces of huts hurt the tribe men. The farthest group of cultists back off and falls to the ground to avoid being hitten, but one of them continues to babble something. In the middle of the confusion, the sphere increases in diameter. The earth raised by the dynamite enters the vortex and makes a spiral movement following the wind into the core of the light sfere. The three investigators begin to see fragments and earth drawn into the center of the sphere, while a blinding light hits their eyes, forcing them to look away from the center.



Micheal Fitzhugh
 player, 367 posts
 Fast talker
 Fast thinker
Wed 6 Feb 2019
at 04:23
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Fitz turns to Laszlo, while still training the shotgun on the nearest cultists. "Is this some kind stormy whirlpool or what? Will it pass like a monsoon or should we run for it like the old man said to?"

He was nervous - no hiding that fact now - but he aimed to see something good come of the loss of his old friend at the hands of those machete-wielding cultists back at the manor. He just had to be sure he wasn't shooting innocent targets while he did it.
Keeper
 GM, 591 posts
Tue 19 Feb 2019
at 23:02
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
In reply to Micheal Fitzhugh (msg # 39):


After the shots fired by Michael, only three cultists fall wounded on the ground. The others continue to sing their litany. The vortex increases in speed, but the glow of light decreases in intensity. The huge snake man emerges from the vegetation and walks towards the luminous sphere. Majestic. Immortal. The strong wind does not seem to bother him in the least, while his paws come forward. The cultists run against the wind with their sabers raised, in their ultimate attempt to oppose the Snake being. One cultist, hoever, keeps blathering near the luminous sphere, which has become a kind of tunnel, going towards something out of this Earth. An unknown and unnatural shadow appears at its end.
Laszlo Ladmann
 player, 230 posts
 Professor of Archeology
Wed 20 Feb 2019
at 04:34
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Stunned, lost for words, frozen in both fear and confusion, Laszlo is barely able to formulate his words as he raises a shaking finger towards the swirling unknown.  Any rational thought or conclusion had been completely thrown out the window and he was running on pure instinct; the instinct to survive.

"...whatever that is...blow that up! Blow the whole damn lot!"
Micheal Fitzhugh
 player, 368 posts
 Fast talker
 Fast thinker
Sun 24 Feb 2019
at 14:13
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Professors were a smart lot, usually, and Fitz had no real reason to deny that Laszlo was any different today. He moved closer to Philip as they avoided getting surrounded or bum-rushed and tried to help him with tossing the remainder of his sticks of dynamite - assuming he had any left.

"You don't have to tell me twice, doc!"


Do I need an Idea roll or something to make these blasts more effective?
Phillip West
 Drifter, 202 posts
 Odd Jobs
 Loves Chicken Diner
Tue 26 Feb 2019
at 22:38
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
Phillip pulls two sticks of dynamite from his backpack and hands them to Micheal, then he pulls out one for himself.  In a high pitched voice he says, "Micheal, I've got a total of three left after the two I gave you.  I'm going to end this madness and get my revenge.  I'm going to light this stick and shove it back into this backpack and run into that damn snake.  Watch out for my big bang"
Phillip tries to time the three stick dynamite explosion so that he is next to the serpent when the dynamite explodes, he begins running.
Phillip yells loudly, "Professor I will avenge you and your family!"
Keeper
 GM, 592 posts
Tue 19 Mar 2019
at 20:30
February 19, 1920 - The Swamps
16:46, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Micheal Fitzhugh, rolled 79 using 1d100


Michael throws the dynamite towards the luminous sphere. A moment before, an idea arises in his mind. The preacher .. the cultist who is babbling ..
The dynamite explodes, tearing the invocator's body who stands beside the swirling core. The sphere stops increasing in size and the winds reduces as well.

Philip remains paralyzed by terror when he consumes his dynamite towards the great serpent man who stands before him, with all his power. The explosion only blackens its scales superficially, probably made from a divine and indestructible material.

The ancestral beast walks undisturbed and strikes Philip's mind with a look of animal indifference, but supreme and divine at the same time. Something unthinkable and terrible to accept. The superior beeing does not bother to annihilate such an inferior one, just because something more important is ahead of him, something that these insignificant individuals will never be able to understand.

The great serpent man enters the sphere. The wind ends, but a strong light appears inside the sphere. The great serpent is inside whatever is beyond the sphere, some place that has not included in the human conception of space.  From somewhere beyond,  a shadow appears and approaches the great serpent man. It is another being ... the being that was about to be introduced by the African cult. A being who was about to enter our world.

It is enormous mass which extrudes black tentacles, slime-dripping mouths, animal paws, tree branches. Small protuberances are continually spat forth by the monstrosity, which are either consumed into the miasmatic form or escape to some monstrous life elsewhere.

As the sphere slowly closes, before the light completely disappears, the three investigators witness the encounter between the great snake man and the thing.

They... they mate!!!
 and, while they do that, horrible snakes break away from the mass.

The sphere reduces his size auntil it disappears and the horrible scene disappears with that. The three investigators are left alone, surrounded by bits of torn flesh. They realize how their mind has definitely changed, as they find such scenario as something earthy and therefore comforting, compared to what they´ve just seen.

Sanity rolls

7:11, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Phillip West, rolled 52 using 1d100.
17:11, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 67 using 1d100.
17:11, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Micheal Fitzhugh, rolled 50 using 1d100.


Sanity loss 1D10 + 20

17:13, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Laszlo Ladmann, rolled 3 using 1d10.

Total:23

17:13, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Phillip West, rolled 7 using 1d10.

Total: 27

17:13, Today: Keeper, on behalf of Micheal Fitzhugh, rolled 5 using 1d10.

Total: 25


The night comes, like any normal night, like the others similar they lived before. The group goes on his way back and return to their lives. The image beyond the sphere will torment their dreams for a long time to come, in the terrible awareness of what could have happened if they had not acted in time.

End of the story

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:31, Tue 19 Mar.