Mission 2: Lonely Moof.   Posted by The Force.Group: 0
The Force
 GM, 474 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 01:45
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
You drop out of hyperspace on the outskirts of the Bright Jewel system. It is not the busiest system in the galaxy, but it's busy enough that one more freighter drifting in at sublight speeds goes unnoticed.

Ord Mantell is an Imperial-controlled system, but they maintain only a token presence here. It's an open secret that the real power in this system is the criminal syndicate Black Sun.

Your long-range sensors detect a space station and several capital ships in orbit around the system's uninhabited fourth planet. A dreadnought, a Carrack cruiser, and a Lancer frigate are in evidence. This token force of mostly-outmoded ships shows just how much military might the Empire devotes to this system.

This is not to say that the system is devoid of protection. Second only to civilian traffic are a host of patrol vessels. They are a truly motley collection of hardware. Firespray patrol craft, Cloakshape fighters, and the occasional Skipray blastboat are only some specimens on display. They have no common markings, although most bear the scraped-away colours of this planet or that militia.

Ord Mantell itself is a mountainous planet. Its population is mainly centred in a few key cities. The planet's main export is metal. Their mines churn out ore for the refineries. Once the raw materials are loaded onto ships, they fly off into space.

Now that you are in the system, you have to avoid detection. Two strategies initially present themselves.

First, you could attempt to conceal the ship in an asteroid field. Maneuvering through a storm of debris is challenging enough. Doing it with minimal engine output, to avoid making an enormous sensor signature, promises to raise the odds.

Second, you could try to blend in with traffic. Just drifting around between the other ships, not getting in anyones' way, is fairly simple. All you'd need to do is fly casually. You may at some point be contacted by the system's patrols. Hopefully you can convince them that you have legitimate business in the system.

You have to keep up the act until you locate a suitable target. That could be minutes, or it could be days.
Forim Luk
 PC, 269 posts
 the sum of the whole
 is greater than its parts
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 03:59
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
The Force:
The datapad the smuggler provides you is sealed using an Alliance code. You open it and find your next briefing.

Alpha Team,
The Empire has begun an unprecedented military buildup. All sectors are on high alert, and they're on full war production.

They're planning on hunting us down. We need to stay ahead of them. For that, we need intelligence.

Make your way to the Bright Jewel system. Begin recon of Ord Mantell. There's patrols in the area, so don't approach the planet. Use long-range sensors and avoid contact.

Optimal target is a bulk freighter with minimal escort leaving the planet. Locate a suitable target. Then intercept and capture it.

Your primary objective is to download the ship's navicomputer data. We need to know where it's been and where it's going. (Intelligence)

Secondary objectives:
 - Misinformation on the objective. Take steps to prevent the Empire from determining the purpose of the attack. (Counter-Intel)
 - Determine if any crew would be useful sources of information. Detain them as prisoners of war. (Personnel)
 - The Alliance always needs more materiel. Locate any useful cargo and secure it aboard your ship. (Resource Acquisition)
 - Destroy any escort craft and prevent your own ship from being damaged. (Space Superiority)

Facilitate as many of these as possible. (Support)

Following this mission, report to the outpost on planet Taul. Approach codes are provided in attached file.

May the Force be with you.

-- General Rieekan


Har'kess cranes his neck, trying to see what is written on the datapad, but you keep it away fairly easily. He gives up.

"I was told that you might have some extra supplies. The market for guns is hot right now. I can take them off your hands in exchange for credits." He buffs his clawlike fingernails. "Of course, service out here in the wilderness incurs a convenience charge."



Forim looks at his indicators and checks out the density of the asteroid field.

ooc: difficulty / setbacks?

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Thu 18 Aug 2016.

Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 player, 177 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 2 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 11:10
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Caddy is up and about and, given the option, would pick the 'talking' route. She however waits to see what the others are thinking.
Forim Luk
 PC, 270 posts
 the sum of the whole
 is greater than its parts
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 17:51
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Forim says "It might be days before our target wanders along.  I got a pretty clear path in.  I am confident that I can get us in safe and sound, then we can wait.  We show up on less sensor logs that way too.  Anyone against that plan?" as he starts double checking systems, and getting ready to head in.

12:43, Today: Forim Luk rolled 2 successes, 1 threat using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1P 2A 3D.  Rolling Astrogation.
+1 advantage for Duros
Net 2 successes to transfer to future piloting check
Deinton can make a co-pilot roll for extra help.

Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 player, 178 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 2 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 18:57
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
"If you're sure... If we could change our signature, I'm pretty sure I can talk my way through customs."
Forim Luk
 PC, 272 posts
 the sum of the whole
 is greater than its parts
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 19:02
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Form nods confidently "There is a nice clear path in, I do not see any reason why I would even scratch the paint on our way in"

ooc: gonna wait for someone to make a copilot check for a boost :)
Dienton
 player, 133 posts
 Chadra-Fan,Sold/Medic
 W00/11, S00/12
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 01:57
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Dienton chimes in "Changing our signature is not an option, I just checked the owners manual, unless we set down for a major overhaul we wont be able to do that here.  We better stay as inconspicuous as possible.  I'm with Forim on this one, the first person that checks us against an imperial database will have us tagged."  He shrugs, puts a hand over one eye, and the squints and scowls at his crew mates "Let the pirating begin!  Arhhgg Maytee!  Wheres the Correlian Whiskey gone!?!"  He limps around making loud thumping noises each time his left foot hits the deck.

He grins like a child and hops into the copilot seat, ready to assist Forim as needed to navigate the asteroid field "Maybe we find a larger asteroid with a trajectory near the perimeter of the field to set down on?  Then we can wait without constantly risking life and limb.


OOC
Assumed that copilot check would be 3D, if that's wrong please reroll

1 success, 1 threat (System Strain)

Forim Luk
 PC, 273 posts
 the sum of the whole
 is greater than its parts
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 03:15
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
ooc: its 2D, but ill keep the success


22:12, Today: Forim Luk rolled 1 success, 4 advantages using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 3P 1A 4D 3B.  Piloting.
Net 3 successes 4 advantages
Using the advantages to get us a great spot for viewing our future target, right as he passes into a sensor shadow...


Forim expertly pilots the ship into the perfect spot to keep an eye on the incoming and outgoing traffic.  As promised, the paint was not even scratched.

With a nod of satisfaction, he flips a few switches securing them to their perch.

"So, Who wants first shift?" he asks the assembled people.  Some look rather green with his twisting, turning, accelerating and decelerating.  He made it look easy, but the pilot knew what he did was going to be a good story.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:15, Thu 18 Aug 2016.

The Force
 GM, 477 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 11:09
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Now that you are positioned in a relatively safe place, you can scan the spaceways for a suitable target. You must keep one eye on the sensor viewscreen and one aimed out into the void.

Perception or Vigilance 3d 1B
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 player, 179 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 2 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 23:47
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Cassy pokes her head into the cockpit and after leaning over points to a blip on the screen, "How about that one?"   She's pointing to a ship chosen not for its location but for it's name... "The Royal Prize"   Thought it seems to fit the bill when considering 'other' options even if it would be a little more difficult to approach

[00:39, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled 1 success, 3 threats using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 3a 4d 1b.  Perception.

Threats converted into a black dice for the approach.]

The Force
 GM, 479 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Thu 18 Aug 2016
at 23:57
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
The Royal Prize is an Action VI bulk transport. A relatively large vessel with considerable hauling capacity, it is also lightly armed and not very fast. However, like many Corellian models, they can be modified for better armament and speed.

The vessel is being escorted by two Z-95 Headhunters. The venerable starfighters are outdated by modern standards, but they are durable and pack a punch.

The Prize is on its way out of the system. Although well outside the mass shadow of the planet, the freighter's stock navigation software will require it to move even farther out of range before jumping. That sort of safety measure makes it possible for large ships to sail with skeleton crews of minimally-trained hands.
Forim Luk
 PC, 275 posts
 the sum of the whole
 is greater than its parts
Fri 19 Aug 2016
at 01:03
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Forim wakes up from his quick nap as the others stood watch for a target.  As any trained pilot, he knew to take any opportunity to catch up on sleep.

He runs into the cockpit fully alert and sits down at the controls.  "Meets all the mission parameters.  Man the guns, and then someone hop in the co-pilot chair.  Plotting us a course out of here"

19:52, Today: Forim Luk rolled 3 successes, 1 advantage using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1P 2A 1b 3d.  Rolling Astrogation.
Net 3 Successes, 2 advantages

Once everyone is buckled in, Forim lifts the ship off.  The only warning the crew has is a "SITHSPIT WHERE DID THAT COME FROM" before a loud BANG reverberates around the ship.


19:53, Today: Forim Luk rolled 4 failures, 4 advantages using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 2P 2A 1B 4D 1S.  Rolling Space.
Shoot, I meant to flip a destiny for a better chance.

Net 1 failure, 6 advantages.
Using 3 advantages to have the damage to the ship be non-critical
Using 2 advantages to preform a free maneouver
Using 1 advantage to give the next gunnery check a boost die.


Forim wastes no time diving in at the escort, using the impact to change his momentum "Lining up a shot on Escort 1"

All attacks at Escort 1 have one ability dice upgraded.  All attacks from Escort 2 / bulk freighter have one of their attack dice upgraded

Edit: 21:12, Today: Forim Luk rolled no successes, 1 advantage using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 2A.  Rolling Cool.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:13, Fri 19 Aug 2016.

Ikki Sorlock
 Scout, 173 posts
 Counter-Intel
Fri 19 Aug 2016
at 16:24
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Ikki was waiting in the Dorsal cannons, only looking slightly worried at the bang and the sound of Forim yelling from the cockpit. Powering up the cannons and using Forim's lining to fire his shot....and watching his shots fly completely off target. Growling at his missed chance, he clicked his tongue and prepared for his next chance.

Ikki Sorlock rolled 2 failures using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1p 2a 3D with rolls of 10(P), 1(A), 1(A), 4(D), 5(D), 3(D).  Gunnery at Escort 1.

So close.....

Ikki Sorlock rolled 2 successes using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1p 1a with rolls of 2(P), 3(A).  Rolling Cool.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:18, Sun 21 Aug 2016.

Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 player, 181 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 2 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Sat 20 Aug 2016
at 00:11
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
After being jostled (fortunately she'd had time to buckle in) and having seen Ikki's missed shot she flipped on the comms and broadcast a message towards the freighter and her escort (and to those aboard her ship), "Royal Prize and escort.  This is Caddanra Manitu.  Please be aware that that shot was both your first and final warning.   Stand down your escort, power down your engines and prepare to be boarded.   Doing this will ensure that you and your escort can live to fly another day.   Doing otherwise will ensure your demise."

[OOC: Took a DAUNTING Coercion roll based on their being some sort of leader/captain (on the freighter) and two Headhunters).   I also took a boost dice given that we actually 'had' a 'warning shot' :-)

01:07, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled 2 successes, 1 advantage using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1A 2P 1B 4D.  Daunting Coercion.

I'll use the advantage to give the next enemy action a black dice.]

The Force
 GM, 485 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 02:57
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
You detect some brief comm chatter between the ships you're assailing. Then the freighter's engines kick into high gear. They're accelerating to flank speed, which is a bit like watching a Hutt trying to pole-vault. Meanwhile, the Headhunters begin to circle around. In moments, they will be in position to fire.
Dienton
 player, 137 posts
 Chadra-Fan,Sold/Medic
 W00/11, S00/12
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 06:27
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Dienton having occupied the ventral turrent was about to fire at the escort ship when he heard Caddys comm message.  He had lined up his target, but when he heard warning shot he got confused "warning shots?!?" He murmered "why are we firing warning shots?", he shrugged and shifted his sights to the left of the incoming fighter and fired.  His shot went wide, but likely left the pilot half blind from the lasers light.

OOC
Gunnery 0 success 2 advantage
Setback to next enemy action.

The Force
 GM, 488 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 17:19
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
The Headhunters turn and race towards your ship. They're hardly the fastest or most agile starfighters, but they do have shields.

This round, all attacks on the Headhunters have 1S.


The Headhunters open fire with their laser cannons. Your ships' maneuvers and aggressive laser fire leave them at a disadvantage. The Sunset Shimmer is bracketed with lasers but none hit home.

The Force rolled 1 failure using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1p 1a 1d 1C 1s.

The Royal Prize has no ability to attack at this time.

The Rebels continue their assault.
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 player, 187 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 2 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 19:10
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Well, if they aren't going to play nicely. "Royal Prize."  All very matter-of-factly and nonchalantly, "You have forfeited the opportunity I provided and with that your lives."

And with that she'll turn to the console intent on jamming the comms between the Prize and her escort - unfortunately she can't quite get the frequency yet but she hasn't given up!

[OOC: She isn't trying to coerce, her words are simply there to deceive.  She however failed so her irritation and anger shines through:

19:58, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled 2 failures using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1A 2P 3D.  Deception.

20:07, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled no successes, 2 advantages using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 3a 2D.  Hack the Comms.

Using two advantages to give the enemy a black dice on the next action.]

This message was last edited by the player at 19:15, Sun 21 Aug 2016.

Forim Luk
 PC, 283 posts
 the sum of the whole
 is greater than its parts
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 19:12
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Forim mutters "Oh no you dont" as the enemy ships try to get into a better position.  Unfortunatly, he reflexivly dodged when the headhunter's wingman bracketed them with fire.


Maneover: Stay on Target: Upgrade all attacks on Escort 1.
Action: Attempted to gain the advantage
14:08, Today: Forim Luk rolled 3 failures, 6 advantages, 1 triumph using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 2P 2A 1b 2d.  Rolling Space.
Spending 3 advantages to negate the setback on our attacks to them.
Spending 2 advantages to recover 2 strain
Spending 1 advantage to give a boost die to the next gunner.

Summary all gunners get 1 upgrade on Escort 1, Next gunner gets 1 boost on his shot.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:13, Sun 21 Aug 2016.

Dienton
 player, 138 posts
 Chadra-Fan,Sold/Medic
 W00/11, S00/12
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 22:41
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Hearing a more firm stance from Caddy, Dienton settles into his seat and focuses on the readout.  The headhunters had swung in towards them and were approaching fast.  With a subtle shift of vectors, Dienton watched in amasement as Forim maneuvered the ship, bringing the headhunter into prime position, he breathed deep and pulled the trigger ..

Streaks of energy shot out of his turret, at first crashing against his opponents shields, then penetrating to the hull, drilling into fuel and ordinance.  The ship began to emit smoke, but held intact.

"Shiver me Timbers!!!  Thar she blows!!" he cackled with glee into the headset

OOC
3 success = 9 damage
1 threat = 1 system strain

Hey Boss, where do you want us to track ship strain and damage?  I cant edit the Party Resources post with the ship.

Ikki Sorlock
 Scout, 175 posts
 Counter-Intel
Sun 21 Aug 2016
at 23:38
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
Ikki groans as Caddy uses his missed shots as an excuse to threaten them, hearing Dienton ask about warning shots "I'm not firing any warning shot!" He yells back as he moves his turret back into position and firing another volley that misses again "Gah! Why can't I hit anything with this!!" His frustration hitting peak as he grabs his console and starts to adjust for his current terrible aim.

"I hate space..." He mutters to himself. At least it was serving somewhat useful as it causes the a bit of panic in the enemy crew.

Ikki Sorlock rolled no successes, 3 advantages using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1p 2a 2d with rolls of 11(P), 7(A), 5(A), 6(D), 2(D).  Gunnery at Escort 1.

Spending 2 advantage to give myself a boost next round (I need it...)
Spending 1 advantage to give next character a boost.

The Force
 GM, 489 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 11:19
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
(Yeah, update the ship's strain in the Party Resources thread)

The Headhunters roll away under fire while the freighter banks away in the other direction. They come around and attack again.

The Z-95 Headhunters are sturdy ships, but slow. During their long circle to get back into firing position, the Rebels have time to react.

The Force rolled 1 success, 2 threats using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1p 1a 2d 1s.  Headhunter fire.
6 Damage pre-soak.
Take 1 free maneuver.

Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 player, 190 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 2 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 15:17
Mission 2: Lonely Moof
"Yes!"  Caddy's electronic manipulations kick in and the wide-band signal she'd been plotting begins to take effect on the comms between the headhunters and the base ship.   "Now let's see you flying blind!"

[OOC: Jamming once again.  Using the boost dice passed on.  And passing another boost dice on with the advantage.

16:14, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled 2 successes, 1 advantage using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 3a 2D 1b.  Jam the Comms.]