M3: Kindred Power.   Posted by The Force.Group: 0
The Force
 GM, 603 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 20:05
M3: Kindred Power
The Sunset Shimmer arrives in the Gamor system. Your sensor boards light up with dozens of contacts. Like Ord Mandell, all manner of freighters and shipping vessels are present. They busily churn through the spacelanes, on their way to and fro. They move in orderly fashion, drawing predictable arcs around the planets, moons, and satellites.

There is another type of traffic buzzing around. Small groups of starfighters swoop between the lanes of intersteller traffic. Mostly they slip and plunge around the lanes of traffic. Every so often, one zips between two ships and causes an emergency maneuver. The entire lane is disrupted. Whether they are doing this deliberately or accidentally is hard to say. They are certainly flying much faster than they need to.

There is no uniformity between the different ships. Most small squadrons flying together are of approximately the same model. One is a squadron of Hornet-class interceptors, their hulls shaped like hive insects. One is a collection of old-but-servicable Cloakshape fighters. Many others have collections of Uglies, starfighters cobbled together of different design parts.

Sensor scans of the fourth planet and its moons reveal substantially less traffic. There is exactly one artificial satellite in orbit around the moon. It is geosynchronous to a certain site. No ships are within one orbital unit of the planet.
Forim Luk
 Duros Spacer, 418 posts
 Flight Officer
 0/12s 0/13w
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 20:15
M3: Kindred Power
Primary Mission: Recruit Kliss-Meen.  Offer employment, haven from the Empire, and a 10,000 bonus for the algorithm.
Cover: We are selling used electronics, and have a cargo full of them.
Secondary Missions
  1. Secure any data Kliss-Meen has on his person
  2. Avoid notice of the Empire to avoid them changing algorithms.


Do we have specific (Support, etc) goals?


Forim spends most of the time on the ship tweaking with the systems, trying to coax just a BIT more function out of them.  The ship was growing on him.

Forim smiles as the ship pops into relapse.  This place is very comfortable to him, as it was a similar place where he was hatched.  He shakes his head at the showboats.

He cooley fires up the computer and finds the correct lane to get into for a dock at the largest city on the planet below.  That is the best place to hide, and the best one to find intel.  It is also the best place to start unloading cargo, so that is where they would expect them to land.

He smoothly increases the throttle slightly and moves the ship into the proper queue.
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 Human Diplomat, 281 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 11 / 13 St -- 6 / 10 Wo
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 23:24
M3: Kindred Power
When folk are gathered within 'discussion' range of the cockpit so everyone is involved, "So we're good to go.  Are we all in agreement that I lead the negotiation for the goods?  The landing spot and so forth?   Unless there's a big lead, I'll stay put with the ship to make sure the attention remains firmly on it and the goods.   I'll make sure that I have plenty of reasons to send you guys out into the city - so you can gather the intel we need while still providing suitable cover.  Ok?"
Forim Luk
 Duros Spacer, 419 posts
 Flight Officer
 0/12s 0/13w
Thu 13 Oct 2016
at 23:44
M3: Kindred Power
Forim Nods "Agreed"
The Force
 GM, 604 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Fri 14 Oct 2016
at 01:04
M3: Kindred Power
Forim reviews the flimsiplast that Rieekan's aide gave you on your way out.

Primary Objective: Return Kliss-Meen alive & functional to the Rebel Alliance. (Personnel)

Secondary Objectives:
Retrieve any encryption solutions that Kliss-Meen brought with him. (Intelligence)
Provide false evidence indicating some other purpose for Kliss-Meen's departure. (Counter-Intelligence)
Prevent Kliss-Meen from sending messages or otherwise affecting the mission's parameters. (Internal Security)
Facilitate as many objectives as possible (Support)

Ikki Sorlock
 Human Scout, 230 posts
 Counter-Intel
 Specialist
Fri 14 Oct 2016
at 23:24
M3: Kindred Power
Ikki reads the objectives over Forim's shoulder "If we're going to throw them off our trail we'll need intel as well. I'd prefer to be out and about than pretending to be a merchant." Sorlock requested that he'd be used as he primary use as a scout. However with the state it could turn out he was glad that he had asked for the Stun Pulse on the axe.
The Force
 GM, 606 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 00:45
M3: Kindred Power
There is really only one place to land. Most of the moon is cratered or rocky, and unsuitable for a landing. In addition, your sensors detect only limited atmosphere.

Hypno the R2 droid beeps & whirrs. On screen, his Droidspeak is translated to Basic.

The moon has insufficient mass to support an atmosphere. Artificial gravity generators on the surface are enlarging the mass shadow. This permits partial saturation of the surface with breathable air.

There are two pressure domes. One is smaller, only a hundred meters across. It is next to a flattened area of permacrete, scarred with ion engine thrust.

The smaller pressure dome is connected by a tunnel to the larger one. This larger dome is about a kilometer across, and one-third of that in height.

The entire complex is near a canyon. Sensors detect sporadic thermal activity inside the crevice.
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 Human Diplomat, 283 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 11 / 13 St -- 6 / 10 Wo
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 07:16
M3: Kindred Power
"Sounds like we don't have much of a choice.   I guess we're landing there."
Forim Luk
 Duros Spacer, 420 posts
 Flight Officer
 0/12s 0/13w
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 13:56
M3: Kindred Power
Forim looks sutibly surprised and says out loud "Looks like it.  With this much traffic, I expected at least automatic traffic control.  Guess we are in a first come first serve basis at this port.  It really is a backwater place.  I think it is going to be harder then we thought to find our tech guy.  If I could have a second set of eyes looking at the sensors, that would be appreciated.  Don't want any hot sticks cutting us off and causing a collision"

Forim keeps an eye on it himself of course, but never hurts to have a second eye.

Forim brings the ship down nice and easy, and more importantly predictably, toward the landing platform.  Any hotshot pilot who was coming in fast would easily be able to avoid him and cut in line if that was his prerogative.  This was not a race.  We are Merchants here selling junk to a planet that hand need of another world's junk.
The Force
 GM, 607 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 23:09
M3: Kindred Power
You are mid-landing cycle when a comm signal is directed at you. It is already too late for anything but an emergency landing abort.

"Vessel, this is Llorstadt Control. Please identify and provide entry vector."
Forim Luk
 Duros Spacer, 421 posts
 Flight Officer
 0/12s 0/13w
Thu 20 Oct 2016
at 23:57
M3: Kindred Power
"Landing control" Forim says with amusement as he touches down "Landing vector is 0 mark 0 mark 0, we have touched down."
The Force
 GM, 608 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Fri 21 Oct 2016
at 01:53
M3: Kindred Power
"Copy, vessel. I'll send Mr. Dreug to the Access Dome. There are some administrative items to handle."

Your ship has landed. Sensors indicate that the atmosphere is thin but breathable. Surface temperature is likewise survivable: a balmy negative 2 Celsius.
Forim Luk
 Duros Spacer, 422 posts
 Flight Officer
 0/12s 0/13w
Fri 21 Oct 2016
at 12:49
M3: Kindred Power
Forim responds "Acknowledged.  I'll have the boss ready to meet him and fill out all the boring paperwork"  He terminates the line and says "Guess you are up Boss" looking at Cassy.

Forim starts going through his post shutdown checklist, ensuring everything is in order.
The Force
 GM, 609 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 00:57
M3: Kindred Power
The ship shuts down neatly. In addition to making sure the ship's normal systems are functional, you also check for signs of surreptitious malfeasance. None to be found, fortunately.

The ship's gangplank drops and you step outside. The moon is dark; it is far away from the sun, and the stars are nearly as bright in the sky. The largest source of illumination is the nearby planet, reflecting red-green light. The pressure domes are bright blue, but project little light.

The permacrete landing area is lit, at least. Small lamps illuminate the walkway you hurry along on your way to the pressure dome aperture.

The portal slides open, revealing an airlock.
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 Human Diplomat, 284 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 11 / 13 St -- 6 / 10 Wo
Sat 22 Oct 2016
at 10:49
M3: Kindred Power
She shakes her head at the rather poor welcoming committee before nodding to Forim, "Thank you."

She then heads to the ramp out of their craft (she's already heavily muffled in a fluffy coat) and, knowing how thin the atmosphere is outside, uses the airlock.  They couldn't afford to waste the air they had aboard 'supplying' the base!

She then waits for 'Mr. Dreug' to appear though, if expected, she'll step into the airlock.
The Force
 GM, 610 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Sun 23 Oct 2016
at 15:50
M3: Kindred Power
It's really the only way in. You enter the airlock, which closes behind you. It's a little ominous. You hear a hissing noise; warm air fills the chamber. Then a red light comes on, and a honking siren sounds.

The opposite door opens. You are greeted by an Aqualish male in a cheap-but-clean suit. He is wearing a translator device around his neck. As he speaks his native language, the box squawks out in Basic.

"Hello, visitors. Our weapons detectors have noticed that you are carrying some weapons on your persons. Please be aware that our facility does not allow weapons for people without licenses. This includes guns of all types, blades longer than six centimeters, and any club with an electrical charge. You can put them on your ship, or leave them with our agents."

The man, Mr. Dreug, gestures back behind him. There are a group of males, mainly human, standing by holding stun-clubs. They glare at you with warning menace. They are wearing body armour and mismatched uniforms.

The interior of the dome is lit by soft blue light. There are a few plasteel buildings erected haphazardly around the living space. Supplies and refuse are piled outside some of them.
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 Human Diplomat, 286 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 13 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 12:30
M3: Kindred Power
A blaster (worn obviously visible) and a vibro knife.  She removes both and hands them to the severe looking guardsman - with a smile of course and a pat on the cheek, "Thank you my darling.   Please don't mix them up with anyone else's.   I'm rather attached to them."

Then, looking back at 'Mr. Dreug' she smiles brightly, "So where do I set up shop?"

Cassy was obviously attempting to make a good impression though her 'act' didn't seem to impress these backwater folk... something about her did however make a significant positive impact.

[OOC: 13:27, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled no successes, 1 triumph using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1A 2P 2D.  Good First Impression.]
The Force
 GM, 612 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Mon 24 Oct 2016
at 23:08
M3: Kindred Power
"There is space available for rent or lease in the second dome, respected-lady," the Aquilish's translator device drones.

The guards visibly relax. Although a token show of stern hostility remains, they begin to shuffle and murmur.

One of the guards seems to be staring at Caddy. He swallows noisily.
Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu
 Human Diplomat, 288 posts
 Not just a pretty face...
 13 / 13 St -- 10 / 10 Wo
Tue 25 Oct 2016
at 08:21
M3: Kindred Power
Caddy smiles at the guards before giving the Aquilian a small curtsey, "Thank you kindly.   I'll have my goods directed there where they will be available for inspection."  She smiles, "I wouldn't want to inconvenience you kind gentleman with that task!"   She laughs lightly, "I assume the base is accessible so that I, and my people, can arrange for our trade?   Are there possibly 'visitors' passes I could apply for?   And, let me not forget, any tax forms?   I wouldn't want to swindle you and your people out of their fair share?"

[OOC: A simple 'negotiation' to ensure smooth operations in the future.

09:19, Today: Caddanra 'Caddy' Manitu rolled 3 successes using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1A 2P 2D.  Negotiation.]

The Force
 GM, 613 posts
 Binds all life together
 May the Force be with you
Wed 26 Oct 2016
at 02:05
M3: Kindred Power
Mr. Dreug has a form ready. "Our moon and this facility are owned by the private corporation Mill-Tech Industrial. To begin trade, you must first donate twenty credits to the Insurance & Security fund."

"Forty credits," one of the toughs puts in.

The aquilish winces, and nods. "Yes, forty credits. Secondly, please fill out this form."

Mr. Dreug hands Caddy a datapad. It seems to require only a few entries: the name of your ship, what cargo you are carrying, and your intended length of stay.

"Once this form is complete, and your colleagues have placed their weapons in the care of our security staff, all bureaucracy is complete. You will have full access to the base. If you require local labour, I would be happy to provide some reliable references."

The Aquilish bubbles, his species' equivalent to clearing ones' throat. The translator 'translates' this as a burst of static.

"Please refrain from entering the mining area. It is dangerous and we are not insured for visitors."