The Lost Ship.   Posted by Dreams.Group: 0
Cal
 player, 30 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 00:33
The Lost Ship
"It's not evil." Cal announces as he reaches into his pack and pulls a couple of handfuls of dried jerky from his rations. He'd been around animals a lot while growing up on the farm. This one must be hungry at least. He tosses the handful of food into the room back from the door, but within the radius of the strange creature's chains. "Looks like a carnivore. This isn't exactly meat, but hopefully, it's hungry enough to eat it anyway." Cal half-jokes.

"Shhhh..." Cal says soothingly, in a voice he'd use on an angry dog or upset bull.

[Seems like PARLEY - 18:29, Today: Cal rolled 12 using 2d6.  feed the beast. Wow, 12!

When you have leverage on a GM Character and manipulate them, roll+Cha. Leverage is something they need or want. ✴On a 10+, they do what you ask if you first promise what they ask of you. ✴On a 7–9, they will do what you ask, but need some concrete assurance of your promise, right now.

Would like to calm the beast down and make it feel less threatened.

Grimwall
 player, 40 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 21:08
The Lost Ship
Grimwall somewhat lost and confused by the beast decides to allow his comrades to handle it while he looks on.

"Steadfast Finn. That chain is reaching it's limit. If we do not calm the beast, we will be forced to defend ourselves."
Finn
 player, 49 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2016
at 21:36
The Lost Ship
Finn winces and stumbles backwards a step, falling into a crawl on his back. He stops moving after the attack resolves itself, his composure regained. "Apologies. I figured the original bearers would have it under better control. Careful Cal, it fights on a mental level as well. I am not one to scare easily, though that creature seemed to assault my mind with both pain and fear at once. Be wary." He says, rising to his feet as Cal gives the creature some food.

Finn makes a suggestion to the other two present, "We know not how long this ship has been here, though it is not stretch to say they would have food stored somewhere aboard. I will check the forecastle for a way to the storage levels, and look for some food for the creature there. I would like to see some proof the creature can be tame first, however. Evil or no, I will not trust a starving and crazed creature to guard my back" He says, watching for some sign that Cal is making progress.
Dreams
 GM, 167 posts
Tue 13 Dec 2016
at 20:36
The Lost Ship
Cal actually gets the thing to calm down.  It does not look happy, or even recently fed, but it is clearly no longer trying to kill anyone.  It retreats into the room, and the slack silver chain coils on the floor.

It eyes the party with suspicion.

With the creature calm, you can get a better look at the aft deck house.  Like the front deckhouse, it has stairs going up and down.  And, like the front deck house, it is divided into two rooms.  You can see into both of them, as the interior doors are open.  The room has what appears to be a large hammock, big enough for one of the bodies Grim noted below.  The furnishings look exotic, but finely made.  This might have been a "captain's quarters", or whatever they called the quarters of their leader.
Dorian
 player, 115 posts
Fri 30 Dec 2016
at 12:48
The Lost Ship
Dorian calibers aboard and picks his way across the deck making note of the strange things he sees. He takes his notebook out and begins drawing a sketch here, then stopping to start a new one of the sails but it's distracted by the bodies and starts drawing one of their hands. The result by the time the party encounters the reptile is a collection of half finished doodles.
"Sorry, I was too distracted by my notebook. This is all quite fascinating don't you think?? If only we werent in a rush - i could spend months here studying all of these items. We dont quite have that long though...."
Cal
 player, 31 posts
Sat 31 Dec 2016
at 17:51
The Lost Ship
Cal nods at Flinn's caution about the creature. "Prudent. Just because it isn't evil doesn't mean it's not dangerous. I'll stay here and keep an eye on this thing." Cal tries to scan the room from his vantage outside to see if there is anything obvious worth risking a closer encounter with the gator-dog for.

When Dorian comes up, Cal turns and says, "Yes, we need to be coming up with some kind of plan. I was hoping we'd be able to take the whole ship, but starting to think that won't be possible. Seems like the next best thing might be getting enough of that sail material to power our own ship. That looks challenging as well. That stuff looks delicate. Other than that, I just don't know." He ends shaking his head.
Dreams
 GM, 168 posts
Mon 2 Jan 2017
at 22:28
The Lost Ship
They manage a survey of the remainder of the ship- with odd creature stuffed into its room.  Now and then they hear it shuffling around.

They find three several rolls of cloth in the lower area of the hull- replacement material for the sails, possibly, as it matches the sail cloth precisely.

Well... sort of.

With the cloth in hand, and the ability to inspect it closely, they make another strange discovery.  Each roll is of a slightly different kind of cloth.  Nearly identical, but not- slight differences in weave and color.  Each one matches a sail- the sails are not identical, and in fact, they are of three different types, one for each roll.

But most disturbingly, the cloth on the roll seems to twist and pull all on its own, every now and then, as if caught in a breeze- but of course there is no breeze.  Especially inside the ship.

Orphir, the monkey creature, is fascinated by this.  "Alive?" he asks.

Aside from the sail material, the ship is well stocked with sort-of nautical hardware.  There are ropes, many made from exotic materials, thinner and stronger than the ropes the party knows.  There are tools, nails and fittings.

Finally, a series of rectangular glass plates, thin and delicate, in a box.  Each has an image similar in style to the one they found in the "chart room", the one that appears to be a kind of map.
Dorian
 player, 116 posts
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 12:48
The Lost Ship
Dorian takes in all the sights as eager as a child.
"This reminds me so of my room above the theater, the experiements I did there... though I did not relish the life I led to make such things possible... but that is neither here nor there. The amount of cloth here seems adequate to manufacture our own sails but we will need a craft if we are to have them work on anything....speaking of which it would seem prudent to understand more of these sails. I wonder if these actually catch the currents and eddys of some energy or magic..."

ooc: rolling to Spout Lore - is there anything Dorian has read of, or seen in his experiments that would indicate a power that acts similar to wind or current?
07:46, Today: Dorian rolled 9 using 2d6+2.  Spout Lore check.
On a 7–9, the GM will only tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful

Dreams
 GM, 169 posts
Tue 17 Jan 2017
at 23:12
The Lost Ship
Dorian thinks of his old songs and stories, the long forgotten tales of other planes of existence, realms of reality unknown but to the boldest (or most insane) wizards.  How they moved in the astral plane, the things they said...

He realizes, he knows things.
Dorian
 player, 118 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 13:55
The Lost Ship
Dorian moves excitedly between the different features on the ship, making notes, flipping to previous sections in his notebook and casting a cantrip or two as he scribbled down observations. Some small time later he gathered everyone around.
"I believe I have found the key to this puzzle. The sails catch a kind of psychic energy. They catch - Dreams." He lets that sink in for a moment before rushing about and getting the map they had found and spreading it out for everyone to observe.
Each of these major vortexes is a major source of power - for these sails, this ship. A vortex of dream power. Fascinating."
Dorian picks up a random object and places it on top of the map and points out the vortex which would have been linked to Rainbow falls.
"So here this ship is traveling - minding its own business and suddenly the "power" of this vortex disappears. Rainbow Falls takes its place and these guys - well... we're standing in the aftermath."
Standing with a huge grin on his face Dorian wipes his hands on his patchwork cloak.
"And now that we know the source... perhaps we can do something with these sails. If they still hold power we should be able to, well...navigate the void just like the beings who own this ship."
Dorian pulls the dream sphere from his bag and holds it next to a sail.
"I wonder if this is a source of power..."
Dreams
 GM, 170 posts
Fri 20 Jan 2017
at 01:04
The Lost Ship
There is a definite feedback between the orb and the sail.  The sail material ripples and pulls, as if there was a wind coming from the orb, even though the air is still.

But... only one sail and one weave of material does this.  The two others do not react at all.

Like a real sail, though, the force depends on the orientation.   From a sharp angle it does little, but straight on the force is stronger.
Dorian
 player, 121 posts
Tue 24 Jan 2017
at 12:32
The Lost Ship
Calling out excitedly Dorian encourages the others to come look.
"Look! The sale is reacting to this dream orb. We found it at the edge of this great forest when we went on our first expedition. I've kept it ever since and couldn't be happier I did. PROOF! The sails DO work. And with the small amount we have we could undoubtedly make other craft. I just wonder how we can get this knowledge back to Rainbow Falls."
Dorian excitedly puts the orb back in his back and exchanges it for his notebook and pencil jotting down notes, ideas and making an observation or two.
Cal
 player, 32 posts
Thu 26 Jan 2017
at 03:01
The Lost Ship
Cal scrutinizes the sails and the orb Dorian held up. "So we need those orbs to push the sails?" he speculates. "Did anyone see any other orbs like that aboard the ship? he asks.

He continues, "We have the sail material. You have drawings of the ship and the mast configurations. We could probably take all that back to Rainbow Falls and use it to build another ship. I hate to leave THIS ship behind though, if it is at all possible to move it."

He looks upward as if to try to ascertain the time by the location of the sun or the moon, then scowls. "This hell-spawned non-sky. We are taking a lot of time."
Dorian
 player, 122 posts
Thu 26 Jan 2017
at 11:52
The Lost Ship
Dorian goes through his notes and ponders the nature of the map.
"No - not this orb exactly. All throughout this void around us are...well... vortexes if you will of psychic power. This orb is one such example though on a much much smaller scale. Perhaps we should see what happens if we put this orb to use."
Sometimes Dorian got ahead of himself. Usually it was in the lab when experiments could be replicated over and over again - though usually he was slightly more careful than this.
"Perhaps we should just place this orb in that similarly shaped receptacle we saw earlier."
Dorian begins moving towards the orb-shaped receptacle with the intent of placing his orb within it.
Finn
 player, 54 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 22:09
The Lost Ship
Finn smiles at his revelations, excited. "Yes! I think you've got it! The masts all appear to meet up below, I'll go check them for any damage. Grimwall, would you check the riggings and other periphery? If we can bring this ship up to functional again, even if it's only limping, we'll have succeeded. Also, Cal, I'd like your assistance in the belly of the beast. If something is broken, it may take more than one person to fix it. And if we aren't certain we can save the ship, we should unload some of the cargo preemptively, in case we need to make a speedy getaway. We've taken some time getting here, we don't have much more to spare. Let's go." He begins to move to the front of the ship, then down the stairs to see the state of the ship's underside.
Cal
 player, 33 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 22:17
The Lost Ship
"Sounds good." Cal says with a smile on his face, happy they're finally taking some action.

He heads down below with Finn to help with the masts or the cargo.
Dreams
 GM, 171 posts
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 15:01
The Lost Ship
Dorian feels nothing unusual as he approaches the "egg cup" but.. was that a slight, subtle rustle in one of the three sails?

The others go to work, trying to get the masts seated again on that triple gear post in the center of the ship.  They work out which rope goes where, what pulls on what...

They have the muscle to do it, but it is unsteady work because they are not professional mariners, and even if they were, that might not help.  The rigging is very unusual.

But, eventually, they have all three of the masts seated again, and all three sails connected by rigging.

When an orb goes into the "egg cup" the sails come alive.   One sail, primarily, and it takes on a slight sheen of color that matches the color of the orb.  The other sails react too, but they seem to be secondary.  The whole ship gives a shudder.  Yes, it is full of holes, it would not float on water for a minute, but does that really count here?

There are some vines that have overgrown the ship, and now the ship seems to be pulling against them.

Orphir looks on with utter shock in his eyes.  Things this big do not move.
Cal
 player, 34 posts
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 15:58
The Lost Ship
As he feels the ship lurch and then stop as it pulls against the vines, Cal utters a "HA!" He grabs his axe and heads up on deck. Tying a length of rope around his waist, he throws the other one to Finn. "Tie it on!" he yells. While that's happening Cal hacks at any vines he can reach from the deck. Once the other end of rope is tied down, he looks over the railing to identify the largest vine or branch still holding the ship down, then jumps overboard and starts hacking at it.

09:57, Today: Cal rolled 7 using 2d6.  hack at vines and branches.

I'd guess this is mostly a Dex action, in which case it's a 7. If it's strength, it's a 9.

Finn
 player, 56 posts
Sat 4 Feb 2017
at 17:17
The Lost Ship
Finn laughs heartily as they replaced the sails, "Nice work Cal!" He says, as he lurches forward from the vines holding the boat back. He gives him a quick nod and heads to the upper deck, catching the rope and tying it off on the nearest belay. "Careful! These ropes may be rotting!" he says, rushing to the side of the boat as Cal leaps, ready to catch him should it break.
Dorian
 player, 123 posts
Mon 13 Feb 2017
at 12:23
The Lost Ship
Bracing himself by grabbing the structure with the egg cup Dorian looks on in awe and wonder.
"This - is something else!"
Looking around from his position Dorian looks to identify any other vines that may be holding the vessel in place.
Dreams
 GM, 172 posts
Sat 18 Feb 2017
at 01:35
The Lost Ship
Most of the more bothersome vines are obvious- they are the ones that get pulled tight.  Some are slightly dangerous when cut, snapping back furiously.  They have to dodge a few of them.

As their collective grip on the ship weakens, more and more of them snap of their own accord.  The pull of the ship does their work for them.

And then, it floats free, pulling away from the forest.

The sail seems to be catching something.  There's still no wind, but the sail isn't acting like it.

All three sails do, actually.  But only one seems to be acting the part of main sail, at the moment.
Dorian
 player, 124 posts
Wed 8 Mar 2017
at 10:03
The Lost Ship
Since he's closest to the dream orb which appeared to give power to the vehicle Dorian looks for some mechanism to drive - or turn the ship.
Dreams
 GM, 173 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 00:45
The Lost Ship
I think I have to suspend things at this point.


My family is going through a hard time.  We may be losing my father in law.   It's been a stressful struggle over the last year, coming along with a number of other issues, and it's really looking like the time has come.

This will affect things.  It's already been affecting things, but it will only affect more in the days ahead- we might even end up moving my mother in law in, she can't get by on her own.  So time has become hard to find, and I just can't find time and mental energy to write.
Dorian
 player, 125 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 00:57
The Lost Ship
Thank you for the story, the engagement and the picture you painted.

Best of luck with your family - I wish you the best.
Cal
 player, 35 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 02:33
The Lost Ship
Ditto what Dorian said. You won't regret spending more time with family.