Prologue (Welcoming and Familiarisation)   Posted by Kismet.Group: 0
Kismet
 GM, 1 post
Mon 28 Sep 2015
at 20:49
Welcome!

"Welcome aboar' the river barge, Bew'iful Burrjiss!"
The same diminutive orc who ushered passengers along the gangplank stood smiling in the centre of the barge with his arms outstretched, turning to have a look at all his passengers.

"Ai. She's not much teh look at, now." His face revealed a thousand furrows and creases as he frowned disapproval at a dwarf woman only slightly less than two heads shorter than himself who was taken aback by the incongruous name. He shook his head.
"But we all have our prime, ya know? 'Isa true an' awful shame hers is, ya know, a couple o' years past..." He moved a away from the dwarf and straightened a guard rail post on the side of the barge with a thump of his fist.
"Ach! You shoulda seen her back then!" He rubbed the piece of wood he had just hit. His voice lost its volume and speed. "Greatest stunner this ri'er e'er did carry..."
He stared at the guard rail a moment too long, lost in thought and nostalgia. A small, painful smile fleeted across his face. He hit the guard rail once more, but gently, as if it were a pat on the back, and then moved to fiddle with a knot towards the back of the boat.

The spacious barge moved slowly up river. Its six sails, either red or beige or a patched combination of the two, stretched roundly in the wind. Golden stitching upon the largest of the sails was all but frayed out, but the sun of hundreds of trips up and down the river had forever tanned the outline of letters into the bulging fabric; they read Beautiful Burgess.

The deck was surrounded by guard rails, housed the captain's quarters near the back end and an entertainment area near the front which consisted solely of a small bar counter and a stove. Another orc hummed a strange tune and stoked the fire. Below deck were the passengers' quarters, made up of four rooms with two bunk beds each, a small dining area and the hold, which was locked.

Occasionally, the barge thumped against the crest of a small wave of wake caused by other boats or the wind or some of the river's larger inhabitants and then, with a slight thud, it would land upon the wave's trough and level out again.

"Tha'll do i'." Sniffing, the orc put his hands on his sides. Having done his busy work with the ropes, he stood up and moved towards the rudder wheel.
The boat gave a barely noticeable twitch as he resumed control of the steering after removing the lock bolt that had kept it in place and on course.
He stared forward. The river was about to bend.

The landscape around was lush and lively.
The indigenous flora showed itself off in brilliance with vivid displays of spring color.
Trees reached across the river as if to drop their petals upon the river travellers in a gesture of blessing.
Local wildlife, obviously accustomed to the regularity of the barges, sipped water in the cool, late afternoon sun.

A small halfling carrying a pole twice his size moved unobtrusively about the deck, using the small flame at the end of the stick to light the handful of lanterns which hung around despite the presence of ample sunlight.

The orc yawned and stretched. "Well... Why are yous all just standin' abou'? Go on, now. 'Is a long trip and yous bes' be ge'in' acquai'ed with each other... or some such."
He pointed towards the 'entertainment area'.
"The missus 'as a small drink counter an' eatery o'err on tha' en'." His wife, by far the larger of the pair, waved from behind the bar. He responded with a feeble smile. "Ya can drop ya belongings in the lodgings below deck." He pointed at the halfling lantern lighter. "Young Feeble Dee 'ill 'elp you if'n you need any."

"Name's Talljaw, by the way." His voice rose with an overt sense of self-importance. "Captain Talljaw."

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

OOC (Out of character):

Welcome adventurers!

You three are aboard now, making your way up-stream and westward. Feel free to roleplay, chat and get to know each other. But don't you dare go near the rudder wheel or sail ropes, else Cpt. Talljaw will have your cheeks as bait.

I've made another thread regarding posting rules and etiquette. Check it out before you respond.

Happy RPing

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:24, Sun 04 Oct 2015.

Akylas Sunscribe
 player, 3 posts
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 13:30
Welcome!
Akylas sat on the upper starboard deck of the barge, staring out across the quiet waters with his pipe in hand. He muttered unintelligibly into the collar of his robe before turning, raising his head and shouting abruptly at an immaculately clad dwarf on the port side of the vessel. "Do you frumple the binge-queen!?" shrieked Akylas.
Savtok Thunderbrow
 player, 3 posts
 Dwarf, Fighter, Smith
 AC 18, HP 19/19
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 15:52
Welcome!
In reply to Akylas Sunscribe (msg # 2):

Savtok glances up from his inspection of his Warhammer, and takes a moment to consider the man on the other side of the vessel.

History check to see if the binge-queen is an established character in this world, or if the guy is just spouting nonsense:
17:50, Today: Savtok Thunderbrow rolled 18 using 1d20+4 ((14)).

This message was last edited by the player at 15:53, Mon 05 Oct 2015.

Kismet
 GM, 8 posts
 What answers not
 to Fate?
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 17:02
Welcome!
In reply to Savtok Thunderbrow (msg # 3):

Savtok, in his meditation on history, was flooded by memories. One in particular, a picture he had seen back at the harbor, caught his attention.
Savtok Thunderbrow
 player, 4 posts
 Dwarf, Fighter, Smith
 AC 18, HP 19/19
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 18:15
Welcome!
In reply to Akylas Sunscribe (msg # 2):

Savtok, unsure of what exactly to make of the phrase, only knew that he was referring to the barmaid, who was the subject of a painting he'd seen earlier.

He looks at the man and nods in the bar's direction. "A drink?"
Akylas Sunscribe
 player, 5 posts
Mon 5 Oct 2015
at 20:19
Welcome!
In reply to Savtok Thunderbrow (msg # 5):

Akylas had forgotten that his rather severe 'speech impediment' would make communicating his request for flint to light his pipe nigh impossible. "Though this dwarf has, understandably, misinterpreted my request, his intentions strike true...I can think of nothing better than a full, frothy flagon of ale to dull sensibility, in presence of good company. Provided he not be too taken aback by my current...erm...predicament" he thought.

Akylas leaned his head toward his collar and muttered unintelligibly once more. He was as yet unaccustomed to holding the old man's tongue.

A second later, the head of a small weasel peaked from the collar of Akylas' robe and exclaimed "That, good sir, is the finest idea I have yet heard this day, but might i also trouble you for some pipe flint?"
Savtok Thunderbrow
 player, 5 posts
 Dwarf, Fighter, Smith
 AC 18, HP 19/19
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 05:04
Welcome!
In reply to Akylas Sunscribe (msg # 6):

Astounded at the small creature talking to him, Savtok slowly reached into his pack, producing a small tinderbox, all the while carefully studying the creature. He didn't offer the tinderbox immediately, however. He rested his elbows on his knees, spinning the small box between his stout fingers. "You Fey?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:05, Tue 06 Oct 2015.

Akylas Sunscribe
 player, 6 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2015
at 15:57
Welcome!
In reply to Savtok Thunderbrow (msg # 7):

Akylas regarded the dwarf for a moment, his disposition expectedly altered by news of his feral counterpart.
"No doubt I am not of fey origin" Thought Akylas, "But should I spin the usual yarn of cheap enchantment parlour tricks or can this dwarf perhaps handle the truth?"

Insight check to guage Savtok's possible reaction to the truth, and thus whether to divulge it.

17:54, Today: Akylas Sunscribe rolled 22 using 1d20+4.  Insight check on Savtok's reaction