Act One, Scene One: Anarchy.   Posted by The Man.Group: 0
The Man
 GM, 5 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Mon 23 Nov 2015
at 17:36
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
This is where the story begins! In this thread, I will post the prompts for the in-game action, and you can respond. Remember to use the formatting that was discussed in the rules thread. For the beginning of the campaign, I will both send everyone private prompts to let them know specifically where they are when they enter the scene, and post a general prompt to tie everything together. After that, it will run essentially like a normal game, except that I can delete or edit your posts if I deem it necessary (that shouldn't happen, but just so you're aware).

Disclaimer: The timeline for this campaign's world is largely the same as the real world up until the recent past. Any reference to or retelling of historical events and/or current political issues is not intended to reflect any particular worldview, let alone mine. It's also not intended to influence anyone's take on the real-life events.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:01, Wed 25 Nov 2015.

The Man
 GM, 7 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Tue 1 Dec 2015
at 05:35
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
One wouldn't expect a Sunday to be the day of the week that someone causes chaos in a city full of Empowered people; then again this Sunday does happen to be September 11 (2016). Those who woke up very early today found it to be like any other Sunday morning, but by the time all the church services finished and the city would normally start really moving, everything had gone bonkers.

It seems like just about every criminal, from the un-Empowered thugs robbing the gaming store over on Washington Avenue to the fire demon (okay, that story has to be exaggerated) destroying the pharmacy up near City Hall, has decided to cut loose and do as they please. The telepathic police, normally very good at preventing crime even before it starts, are nowhere in sight, so the bad guys remain almost completely unopposed, except for occasional Empowered people protecting their own interests or taking revenge for some wrong they witnessed.

One group in particular may soon catch people's eyes. Outside St. Matthias Catholic Church of Cawell, the ruckus starts the same as everywhere else. This changes when an airborne skiff comes careening around a corner two blocks away from the church's front door, four people in what appears to be military gear aboard it. They carry unusual weaponry, all of which is focused on the single woman chasing them on a floating car which was obviously not intended for air travel. As she comes to the corner, she uses telekinesis to launch various objects, including the car's front fender, at the skiff, then abandons car before her ride crashes into the wall of the building across the street.

To the surprise of most watching, the reckless (yet apparently effective) piloting of the skiff is not enough to avoid her projectiles, and the skiff is damaged, forcing it to land next to an alley one block away from the church. The woman levitates toward the skiff and its passengers, using her powers to deflect or absorb all of their considerable firepower. Nothing they do seems to be working, and soon she will turn to offense.

OOC: Character entrances here will be staggered. Dark Matter will start, followed by Switchblade, then Blink. I will post a response between each entrance, and I encourage you to read each of my posts (including your private prompt) before posting your entrance. If anything is unclear, you may ask about it in a private message or on the OOC Thread; I may not give you a satisfactory answer, though...
As part of your entrance post, please give some sort of physical description of your character as other people will see them. If your first actions are not specifically visible to the public, please respond to my private message first, and we'll get you to where you can join the public action ASAP.
Have at it!

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:42, Tue 01 Dec 2015.

Dark Matter
 player, 1 post
Sat 5 Dec 2015
at 18:33
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
In reply to The Man (msg # 2):

As the running battle continues down the street, a tall, thin, dark-skinned man with dark brown hair and eyes runs out of the church. Another man who exited the church at the same time stands next to him, places his hand on his shoulder and says something indistinct. He hesitates, obviously shaken by the destruction and chaos; then his face hardens, and he moves quickly toward the action, his eyes beginning to glow with a strange purple light.

Those close by might hear him mutter to himself, I don't know what's going on, or where the authorities are in all this mess, but one way or another, this needs to stop

This message was last edited by the player at 19:10, Sat 05 Dec 2015.

The Man
 GM, 8 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Sun 6 Dec 2015
at 04:20
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
The combatants don't take notice of any of the church-goers yet, but continue firing at each other. The four on the skiff appear to be talking or even shouting at each other as they work, but the street around them is largely clear of anyone who might make out what they're saying. As the dark-skinned man reaches the middle of the street, one shout rings clear from down the block: "Done!"

Immediately after that, a stop sign flying toward the skiff stops mere inches from the face of one of the skiff's passengers and zooms up and over the skiff, flipping over and over as it goes, rather like it had bounced off a curved surface. It seems that some sort of force field has been extended above the skiff to protect those it carries.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:31, Sun 06 Dec 2015.

Switchblade
 player, 1 post
Wed 23 Dec 2015
at 19:01
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
The stop sign, deflected off the force field, continues flying towards the mouth of the alleyway, narrowly missing a young man as he edges his way towards the noise. Careful observers might note that it changed course ever so slightly before striking the ground next to him.

The man glances around the corner to take in the scene. After observing for a few moments, he cups a hand over his mouth and shouts "What's going on here?"
The Man
 GM, 9 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Thu 24 Dec 2015
at 04:44
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
Unlike the first man to head towards the fray, this approaching spectator gains the attention of at least one of the combatants: the person who just finished working on the force field turns to the young man in the alleyway, and responds, "None of your concern! Now, please get back before you get hurt by flying --" at this point the speaker flinches as various small objects slam into the force field next to his/her face, then finishes, "debris."

The woman still remains focused on the skiff, though her face makes it clear that she is becoming frustrated with the stalemate caused by both sides having (apparently) potent shields.

One of those still firing on the woman speaks up. "Captain, what about a large shock? That might give us the opening we need."

As this is being said, a rather unusual figure (even for Cawell) enters the scene back near the church...

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:44, Thu 24 Dec 2015.

Blink
 player, 1 post
 You missed me!
Thu 24 Dec 2015
at 13:48
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
While those words are being said, a figure rushes from behind the tall, thin, dark-skinned man, stopping a short distance from him--close enough to be noticed if he has good peripheral vision and is observant, but far enough away that they could not just talk.  Anyone looking in the direction behind the church would notice a black-and-white blur for a second.
When the figure stops, anyone watching would find a man covered in a suit with black and white stripes--a bit like the Old West prison designs--with a strange metal circle in the middle of his chest, and wearing white goggles.  He looks at the fight.  Though no one nearby can see it, his first reaction is surprise.  Then he thinks to himself, "Actually, I'm probably going to have to expect this stuff, now..."  After considering his options, he also shouts, "What is going on here?"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:47, Thu 31 Dec 2015.

The Man
 GM, 10 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Thu 24 Dec 2015
at 16:21
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
The person who spoke to the man in the alleyway turns to this new distraction. The visor on the helmet opens, revealing a dark face beneath and allowing the man's voice to come through more clearly. "You all need to get out of here before you get hurt! We have this covered!"

As one of his comrades prepares to throw some sort of grenade, he continues, though he seems to be talking mostly to himself at this point. "You'd think people in this city would know when to -- WHOA!" He is cut off as the telekinetic woman, seeing a potential threat forming, changes tactics and uses her powers to grab the whole skiff and throw it high in the air. Its inhabitants hold on with all their strength to keep from being thrown from the vehicle; as a result, the grenade falls out (along with other weapons) and proves to have been armed at the last second, since it manages to find its target (despite her efforts) and explode rather spectacularly just a couple feet from her. Her body is largely protected from the blast by her shield, but as was predicted, the concussion wave is enough to rupture her force field and throw her to the ground.

As the skiff begins to fall, the woman quickly regains her feet and glares up at the vehicle, her pretty Asian features twisted into a dark mask all of you have seen before. Whatever or whoever may have started this fight, she wasn't truly giving this everything she had; on some level, in some way, she had been holding back. Now, there is murder in her eyes, and they're pointed directly at the temporarily helpless passengers of the skiff.

OOC: Yes, her reaction is rather petty, with a possible side of psychopathic; she's not used to physical pain, especially from unEmpowered people...
For the moment, posting is now more freeform: you can (and should) post whenever you think appropriate. If you guys enter into combat (despite everything, not necessarily a foregone conclusion yet; just because these characters are resisting any nonviolent diversion doesn't mean this has to go to full combat, per se), I will put up a post about that at that time.

Switchblade
 player, 2 posts
Thu 24 Dec 2015
at 18:38
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
Spotting the woman's growing rage, the young man runs out of the alleyway, holding up both hands. "Hold up, hold up! We can still try to talk this out. There are a lot of bystanders here and I don't think anyone wants to deal with the consequences of them getting hurt!"

His right hand slowly moved to his left wrist, fidgeting with a metal bracelet there as if he was preparing for something.
The Man
 GM, 11 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Sat 26 Dec 2015
at 14:42
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
She turns sharply to the young man, glaring daggers at him. "Why should I listen to you? You didn't see them attack me! You haven't helped me defend myself! You have no part in this! Why should I listen to you?!"

OOC: Switchblade, before you make your response, please go to the Dice Roller and make a Persuasion roll at 3d6+1 (remember, you want to roll low on Skill rolls). Copy the result to your post, like so (If you look at the Dice Roller page, you'll find this exact message near the bottom of the page; you don't have to include the reason for the roll if you don't want to):
The Man rolled 7 using 3d6. Sample roll.
Don't feel like your roll has to determine the words you use (as I've seen some players do); unless you roll extremely poorly (17 or higher), you could give what would in real life be a stunning speech and still fail, or a mediocre one and still succeed, and it would all seem reasonable regardless of your dice roll.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:48, Sat 26 Dec 2015.

Switchblade
 player, 3 posts
Sat 26 Dec 2015
at 18:36
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
OOC: Switchblade rolled 14 using 3d6+1.  Persuasion.

"I haven't attacked you either," he points out, glancing up towards the airborne skiff. "And I don't want a fight unless it's completely necessary. Can you at least explain to me why you're doing this?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:41, Sun 27 Dec 2015.

The Man
 GM, 12 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Sun 27 Dec 2015
at 02:53
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
"As I said, they attacked me," she responds as she catches the skiff with her powers, and slams it into the ground.

She puts up a hand, aimed at the young man attempting to dissuade her from her current course of action. "Now, I'm feeling generous enough not to throw you into that church over there if you back off. But, if you get in my way, you'll meet the same fate as those four." At this, she looks over at the wreckage of the skiff, where its inhabitants are all still conscious and attempting to dislodge themselves from the remnants of their ruined ride.

OOC: If any of you feel you would have attempted to interfere with or interrupt any of this, send me a message, and we'll see about the possibility of editing what just happened (this goes for any future posts, as well, within reason). Also, I've edited Switchblade's post to reflect the fact that the skiff hadn't come down yet; if that changes what any of you would have done, see previous statement.
Blink
 player, 2 posts
 You missed me!
Sun 27 Dec 2015
at 04:20
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
The strangely-dressed man gives a small shake of his head, and mutters something to himself.  Anyone nearby with better than average hearing could make out, "This is going too far...".  He becomes a black and white blur as he rushes in at the woman to start close-quarters-combat before she ends up hurting and killing anyone.
The Man
 GM, 14 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Mon 28 Dec 2015
at 21:16
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
In the moment after the strangely-dressed man moves, the woman jerks her head toward where he was standing a moment ago. Her expression is clearly one of confusion, and maybe fear? The latter emotion becomes clear as the man suddenly shows up right next to her! She flinches away from the man's sudden rush, but her movements are painfully slow compared to those of a man who can run past a city block in the blink of an eye! With both parties' intentions made clear by now, only question remains: Is his hand faster than her mind?

OOC: Unless someone messages me regarding what I talked about in my last post, we will now begin combat. As stated in the Rules thread, we will follow normal rules for the HERO System, 5th ed. revised. Since no one moves in Segment 1, we will skip straight to Segment 2, in which Blink can act as he sees fit, and Dark Matter may choose to... make a special move.
Blink
 player, 3 posts
 You missed me!
Mon 28 Dec 2015
at 22:02
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
The man dashes up in front of the woman (the hex beside the man who is talking to the woman), and performs a martial strike.

(OOC: Rolled a 9 to hit (which, if I figured everything correctly, means I should hit), and a roll of 17 Stun, and 6 Body)

This message was last edited by the player at 22:35, Mon 28 Dec 2015.

Dark Matter
 player, 2 posts
Thu 31 Dec 2015
at 04:05
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
In reply to Blink (msg # 15):

The dark-skinned man, having observed all the on-going proceedings, gestures to the side. Those close enough might notice the air shimmer, then appear to split into an ovoid portal, rimmed in dark purple and black in the center. He steps into it and vanishes. The portal closes behind him, leaving no trace of him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:17, Thu 31 Dec 2015.

The Man
 GM, 15 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Thu 31 Dec 2015
at 15:33
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
Segment 2 summary:
The strangely-dressed man, having rapidly closed the distance between him and the woman, launches a devastatingly fast punch at the woman. It slams into her chest, producing two loud "CRACK" sounds and leaving her gasping for air. However, she manages to remain standing where she was, and now her full attention, and anger, as directed at this newest threat.

Meanwhile, the dark-skinned man from the church disappears, though no one around him really sees how or why.

Segment 3: EVERYONE GOES! (except possibly Dark Matter; depending on what he's doing, he might actually not be going until Segment 4)
Switchblade
 player, 4 posts
Thu 31 Dec 2015
at 20:24
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
Seeing the skiff go down, the young man in the metal bracelet takes a few steps back, cautiously at first, then more quickly when the woman's attention is drawn by a punch to the ribs. He moves over to the fallen STOP sign, calling it up into his hand, and holds it in front of him like a shield. Maybe everyone will take the hint? Nah, that's probably too much to hope for.

He begins edging in between the psychic woman and whatever bystanders are still present, hoping that he can at least shield them from whatever happens.
Dark Matter
 player, 3 posts
Fri 1 Jan 2016
at 09:16
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
In reply to The Man (msg # 17):

This message was last edited by the player at 09:16, Fri 01 Jan 2016.

Blink
 player, 4 posts
 You missed me!
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 04:38
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
Seeing that she is still up, and knowing that someone--probably himself--will get hurt, the man performs another martial strike at the chest.

(OOC: Rolled a 9 to hit, and 24 stun with 7 body)
The Man
 GM, 16 posts
 Watcher of Players
 Big Brother
Sat 2 Jan 2016
at 23:37
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
Segment 3 summary:
The speedster launches another assault upon the woman, and everyone can hear a third rib snap as the woman, whose force field erupts for a brief flash just after the punch lands (the shield is invisible, but her attacker's follow-through on his strike is visibly interrupted by the expanding field), drops to the ground, unconscious, her shield fading as quickly as it manifested.

In response, the wannabe peacemaker reveals his own power of mind over matter by pulling a nearby street sign to his hand. He holds it defensively as he positions himself to (hopefully) protect civilians from the assaults of those whom he seems to expect might do them harm.

Over at the downed skiff, the four passengers, who appear to be in remarkably good health considering what they just experienced, manage to disengage themselves completely from the wreckage and bring their various weapons to bear -- all pointed at the two Empowered men in the street. From the back of the group, a female voice sounds: "Stand down now or we will open fire! You are under arrest, and if you do not comply, we have been authorized to use lethal force! I repeat, stand down!"

Segment 4: Dark Matter
The dark-skinned man suddenly reappears out of nowhere, standing right behind the fallen woman. In the moment of his appearance, anyone looking at him can see his eyes glowing a very dark purple. Unfortunately for the man, whatever he was planning probably didn't involve having weapons pointed in his direction at the very moment he reappeared!

Segment 5: Blink goes

OOC: Even though Blink is the only one who can actually act on Segment 5, don't forget that talking is a zero-phase action that can be taken at any time. If you want to try to talk these folks down before the shooting starts, then I suggest you do so before we get to Segment 6.
Switchblade
 player, 5 posts
 "Can't we all get along?"
 Metal-slinging pacifist.
Mon 4 Jan 2016
at 04:44
Act One, Scene One: Anarchy
"Hang on a minute, just hang on!" says the man holding the stop sign. "Look, I don't know where you all came from or what you're doing, but would somebody please at least attempt to explain the situation?"

All in all, this is turning out to be exactly the kind of day that I was hoping I wouldn't have. Good grief. His eyes flick between the seemingly unharmed passengers and the injured psychic. Is it possible they were working together, to try to draw out people like us?

Or maybe...
It abruptly occurs to him that there's not any necessity for an alliance between the two feuding groups. They could have been after her just because of her powers... And I picked a fine time to show up.

A variety of colorful words run through his head in quick succession. I knew I should've volunteered for that extra shift instead of taking the day off...

This message was last edited by the player at 04:50, Mon 04 Jan 2016.