Ghost Castle Hasegawa.   Posted by Mikado.Group: 0
Isao Onodera
 player, 4 posts
Wed 17 Aug 2016
at 21:17
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
"Well then, perhaps a more pious approach is in order," Isao says as he approaches the font. He washes his hands carefully, dries them as best he can, and approaches the gate.

He bows, and says: "Honorable spirits of the fog, please disperse so that we may approach through the gate. We mean harm only to those who might in turn seek to harm you, and we seek your blessing to approach and enter the gates without harm."

Isao again and waits for a sign.
Mikado
 GM, 100 posts
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 13:25
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
OOC: Sorry for the delay. Had an overly busy weekend.

Isao finds the handwashing font water to be brackish rainwater. Bamboo leaves float on the surface, and a slimy film covers the stone of the font.

After making his plea, a haunting, inhuman voice resounds from the direction of the shrine and echoes off the walls of the donjon, "Come forward and make an offering to appease the spirits."

The fog, however, does not disperse.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:26, Mon 22 Aug 2016.

Taishiko
 player, 33 posts
Mon 22 Aug 2016
at 22:04
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
In reply to Mikado (msg # 56):

Tai is a bit shaken at hearing the spooky supernatural voice (if indeed it is, and not some trick).
Isao Onodera
 player, 5 posts
Tue 23 Aug 2016
at 22:55
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
Isao raises an eyebrow at Tai, and mouths "Trap??" silently.

He steps forward slightly, and responds to the voice, "Do the spirits appreciate wine? I'm afraid I don't know what would make a suitable offering to such wise beings."
Taishiko
 player, 34 posts
Wed 24 Aug 2016
at 17:22
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
In reply to Isao Onodera (msg # 58):

Taishiko mouths back, "Maybe!"
Watanabe Shingen
 player, 6 posts
Thu 25 Aug 2016
at 02:50
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
With disembodied voices appearing around the group Shingen steads his hand over his katana and prepares to fight if the need arises. He had his doubts about how effective his sword would be against spirits but it was against his nature to not try and defend himself.
Mikado
 GM, 103 posts
Tue 6 Sep 2016
at 03:05
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
The voice calls back to Isao, "Wine, yes! Wine and gold! Wine and gold for the spirits!"

The mists in front of the shrine's steps swirl for a second as it speaks, and then settle down again. None of you can see anything inside the mist that might stir it up, nor hear anything besides the voice.
Taishiko
 player, 35 posts
Thu 8 Sep 2016
at 17:59
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
In reply to Mikado (msg # 61):

These "spirits" have too-human weaknesses, methinks...

At any rate, Taishiko has neither of these items...
Isao Onodera
 player, 6 posts
Thu 8 Sep 2016
at 21:31
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
"I have wine, great spirits. Shall I pour it on the ground? I have no vessel for it, only this wineskin. If you would show yourself I could hand it to you." Isao looks at the others and shrugs, looking for better suggestions.
Mikado
 GM, 104 posts
Thu 8 Sep 2016
at 23:14
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
You have all heard stories of yokai who crave certain human foods. Also, offerings of food and wine to the ancestral spirits are commonplace.

"Come place your offering on the shrine altar," the voice calls back. The voice is less commanding now, with perhaps a hint of worry in it.
Mikado
 GM, 105 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 12:50
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
You all get the feeling that your attempts to lure whatever it is inside the shrine out will not work. You will either need to go to it, or look elsewhere in the ruins for the source of the curse.
Isao Onodera
 player, 7 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 13:08
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
Isao approaches Taishiko and whispers "I'm going to approach the altar and pour the wine, if you would be prepared to assist in case of an attack, I would be most grateful."

He removes the wineskin, approaches the altar, and assuming he's not accosted by an evil spirit, pours out a healthy measure of his rice wine, spilling it across the altar.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 13:09, Tue 13 Sept 2016.

Miyazaki Haruna
 player, 49 posts
Tue 13 Sep 2016
at 13:33
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
Haruna nodded a little bit as she took a few deep breaths and stretched her hands. "Of course. Once we reach the shrine and handle any present threats, I think that I should be able to purify the shrine once we get to it." She said as she tensed herself and readied her naginata. "Of course...it could be dangerous getting to that part." The Soryo looked around the area carefully, saying a few prayers to the kami as she prepared to walk into the breach with her present companions.
Mikado
 GM, 106 posts
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 02:26
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
As Isao starts to pour the wine, the voice calls out in exasperation, "DON'T WASTE IT! USE THE CUP, SILLY!"

A feline creature appears from behind the altar and picks up a lacquered cup, the kind usually used to make offerings to ancestors during holidays. It then freezes, realizing that it has now revealed itself.

The creature has a feline body with calico fur, but stands upright like a human. Its green, vertically pupiled eyes scan your group warily, but it makes no move...yet.
Isao Onodera
 player, 8 posts
Mon 19 Sep 2016
at 17:03
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
Isao freezes momentarily, then regains his composure, giving a small bow to the cat creature. "Greetings good sir, would you allow me to pour the wine for you? I can assure you it's quite tasty, wouldn't want it to go to waste spilling it, eh?"

Isao approaches slowly, wondering if he's just made a huge mistake.
Mikado
 GM, 107 posts
Tue 20 Sep 2016
at 00:35
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
The cat-creature takes the offered cup politely, using both paws, and bowing its head. It starts lapping up the wine in the cup with its tongue. After about a dozen laps, it looks up at Isao. "I have not had wine in years. Thank you for your offering. Why have you come to this cursed castle? Most humans who come die here. Are you here to die?" The creature's voice is curious, not at all threatening.
Taishiko
 player, 36 posts
Sun 2 Oct 2016
at 21:35
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
In reply to Mikado (msg # 70):
Tai doesn't think she's obvious, but she's practically squirming with curiosity as she looks at the creature, trying to figure out whether it's a spirit, a werecat, or simply a sentient felinoid species.

"We would definitely PREFER not to die," she murmurs.  "How is it that you survive here?"
Miyazaki Haruna
 player, 50 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2016
at 12:24
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
Haruna bowed low as she saw the creature. Was it one of the Kami? If it were...she would have to show her respect. She nodded to the beast. "I am honored to make your acquaintance. Are you the kami of this shrine?" She asked, hoping that he might give an honest answer...even if it was not totally likely. The kami worked in mysterious ways after all.
Mikado
 GM, 108 posts
Tue 4 Oct 2016
at 01:06
Ghost Castle Hasegawa


The creature licks the last of the wine from the cup, and then licks its lips. Is it smiling? It's hard to tell on the feline face. "Yes! Spirit of the shrine! I keep it safe. No dead come here. They fear me. Fear my magic! If you are not here to die like the dead, why come?"
Taishiko
 player, 37 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 13:37
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
In reply to Mikado (msg # 73):

Tai will take the earliest oppirtunity to *secretly* warn the party not to trust this creature.

(She will also look for two tails, trying to make a positive ID).
Mikado
 GM, 110 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 08:04
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
The feline creature does, in fact, have two tails, Taishiko discovers. She manages to share a warning look with the party.

The creature is waiting for your answer.
Miyazaki Haruna
 player, 52 posts
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 14:27
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
Haruna bowed. "We have heard that there is some sort of evil presence here...some corruption that fouls this glorious castle. I have come here in part to investigate, and also to try and cleanse it if possible." She nodded over to Taishiko. She did not recognize the creature per se, but she knew that he very well might be dangerous. "If you are the spirit of this shrine we would be quite grateful for your assistance in this mission." It was better not to assume that the creature was the source of the destruction...at least for now. And even if it was it would be easier for them to attack if he thought they were friendly or stupid.
Mikado
 GM, 111 posts
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 05:13
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
The cat-creature seems pleased at Haruna's speech. "Yes, help! Help end the dead. I give you this, a present! Use it."

The creature flexes its retractable claws, and then climbs handily up one of the wooden support pillars of the shrine's interior, and climbs back down just as rapidly.

"This! I cannot read it. You read it. Maybe it helps." She hands a small hand-bound book with a dark-stained wooden cover to Haruna.
Miyazaki Haruna
 player, 53 posts
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 05:57
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
She was almost surprised that the creature was willing to help her given Taishiko's warning...but maybe she was just wrong? Either way she bowed in thanks to the creature. "I would be honored to accept your gift." She said as she took a few steps back towards the group. "I shall read it post haste..." She said, looking into the book rather quickly. Hopefully this would not be some sort of strange curse..but why would the creature go through these steps if it wanted to curse her? Why not just cast the spell and get on with it?" She took a deep breath and opened the tome.
Mikado
 GM, 112 posts
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 15:02
Ghost Castle Hasegawa
OOC: Everyone feel free to chime in with actions or questions for the cat-thing while Haruna reads.

The book is a journal, and half of it is written in Jade Islands script, and the rest in the language of the Chen Empire on the mainland. [OOC: fantasy Japanese and fantasy Chinese, respectively]

Haruna could make out the Chen Empire language with enough time, but in the poor light in the castle grounds, it would be hard.