Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow.   Posted by Game Moderator.Group: 0
Game Moderator
 GM, 30 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:07
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tiwesdæg, 00.10 mins (new sun)

In the dim light hours before the rise of the new sun, the shrill call of many varieties of birds fill the air outside of Falcarragh. It is a stark contrast to the few birds that inhabit the city, where morning sounds are that of citizens shouting or performing early chores such as throwing pish pots to the sewers.

The call of the birds is pleasant, and the morning fog clings low to the dew covered grasses and shrubbery that line the road north from Falcarragh once the farms are passed. The road then winds through a low trough through hilly forest for several miles. The sun has barely lit the sky with the new sun and already the party has traveled several miles from the outskirts of the city.

At this pace, they will reach Falcon's Hollow tomorrow around high sun (noon)

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:10, Wed 06 Jan 2016.

Jhaelin
 Player, 8 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:10
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow

"Ahhh. The outdoors. It brings a certain solitude to the soul does it not? My da was always outside doing something or other. He always sai-- Tynia?"

Jhaelin stops and turns his horse sidways in the road. Tynia, who had been riding beside him has stopped and is several yards behind him now.
Karok Gemsmith
 Player, 20 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:11
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
It had been Karok's turn to ride rearguard. Tynia and Jhaelin had been in the vanguard, and Durwe on this trip, was driving the wagon between.

This had suited Karok well today. Jhaelin was an insufferable Morning Person and Tynia had a better disposition to put up with him rhapsodising about birdsong and sunrise, and what-all. Watching their backtrail was not at all disagreeable.

But then there was a break in the clopping of the horses' hooves ahead. Tynia's steed had paused, Jhaelin's had begun to move on.

Karok had enjoyed only limited training with horses, but he knew enough to know that, when they acted that way, there might well be reason. He pulled lightly on the reins to bring his own mount to a stop, and swung down, drawing out sling and bullet-stone. He scanned the surrounding terrain, especially ahead.

Just in case.
Tynia Earthbound
 Player, 13 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:11
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tynia's experience in the wooodlands brings something to her attention.

She noticed the birds taking flight from the right side of the road, unexpectedly. It draws her eyes in that direction. It is, otherwise, not noticed by the others.

Movement catches her eye along the top most ridge of the tree line. Something is up there and may, or may not, be tracking their movements.

Her mount stopped when Tynia's attention is caught so she doesn't notice the others still moving.

Her attention is focused on what it could be.
Jhaelin
 Player, 9 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:12
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Jhaelin follows Tynia's gaze, searching the wood lined ridge to the right of the road for trouble. He finds none.

"I don't see anything," he says, but one hand strays to the hilt of his sword. Something gained her attention, and he would not take it lightly. "What bothers you?"
Game Moderator
 GM, 31 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:13
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tiwesdæg, 11.50 (low sun)

Visual search of the tree line along the ridge for several minutes reveals nothing. No unusual movements, just wildlife native to the area. Birds, squirrels, and rabbits...

The party continues on their way, a little more wary than before and more than once, someone thinks they catch movement through the brush parallel to them but just out of view. Almost certainly, someone or some thing is tracking their movement along the road.

The day wears on and the light begins to fade from the sky. Perhaps a hand's length (hour) left of low sun. Already the shadows are long and a quietness falls across the forest.

Suddenly, a wide meadow opens up. This would be Break Camp Meadow, the half-way point between Falcon's Hollow and Falcarragh. The meadow is a hundred yards in length and sixty yards wide. On the left side of the meadow, the grasses lead down into a pond that fades off into the forest. In the center, near the water and several yards off the road, sits a wagon and horse accompanied by a woman, man, teen boy and small girl. They watch warily as you approach along the road.
Karok Gemsmith
 Player, 21 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:13
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
"Hmmmph," mumbled Karok to himself on his horse. "Why are THEY looking cautious at US?"

After all, Jhaelin was scarce more than a boy, and of mild demeanor. And the elves looked a little tougher after a day of road dust, but still had trouble appearing less than elegant! Now, perhaps HE might give them slight pause, if they weren't used to seeing dwarves about... but what about THEM? They could actually be...

-bandits in disguise;
-the better face of a family of weregoons;
-a group of rakshasae. Maybe even singing rakshasae (horrors!);
-an incredibly well-crafted illusion sent by Baba Yagga's great great granddaughter, Ulmzila, to lure them into complacency...!

But, he had to allow, those were relatively remote possibilities, though still possible. Karok decided that he, himself, would be wary. He put on his stern, forbidding face as they rode.

"Parlay with them?" he called. Meaning, of course, that someone else in the group should parlay with them. He would keep an eye out behind.
Tynia Earthbound
 Player, 14 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:14
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tynia glanced over at Jhaelin, "Something, nothing, I don't know. But I get the feeling that something or someone is watching us. Where or why, I don't know." she answered.

Tynia would look at Karok then, a brow rose.

"Parley?" she echoed in question and saw the people. She shook her head. "Not me."
Jhaelin
 Player, 10 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:14
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Jhaelin regards what appears to be a family, readying themselves for a camp night in the meadow as they roll past on the road. He nods and waves while shouting a greeting at the man and woman.

"Good day sir... ma'am."

On the road, forty yards beyond that family, Jhaelin turns to the others. The family returns whatever chores they were tending to. More than a few curious glances are cast toward the two elves and a dwarf on the road. Curious as they are though, the family remain to themselves.

"Are we stopping as well for the night? It is safest here in the meadow, but if you wish, we can continue on for a while and get yet closer to Falcon's Hollow before breaking for camp. Resting here, we should reach the village by high sun tomorrow and if we ride on for a few hours, we could reach the village by three hands over new sun."

Jhaelin's attention is drawn to the family as the man calls out to the teen boy to help him gather wood for a small fire only now starting to smolder to life. He then regards the surrounding edges of the meadow, his expression thoughtful.

"My fear is that these innocent people may be harmed by what ever has been tracking us today, if it is something that would cause them or us harm."
Karok Gemsmith
 Player, 22 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:15
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
"Aye," Karok growled, his horse drifting closer to the others. "I suppose I'd rather camp in the open and see whatever it is, when it comes at us. Don't know if I'd like to be too close to the family over there-- or if they want to be close to us-- but we can share the pond."

"May want to think about double guard shifts, though."
Game Moderator
 GM, 32 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:16
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tiwesdæg, 00.10 (new moon)

Jhaelin points to a spot near the pond's edge and near a tree that has branches that reach out over the water of the pond. An old and larger felled tree lies beside it; half in the water and half out. It has seen much use in the past for sitting or sleeping next to.

Wild grasses and lily dot the surface of the water at the edge and small fish or minnows can be seen darting back and forth while water bugs and other insects skitter about with the light breeze that caps the pond waters.

There is evidence of many camps having been made here with old camp fires and a little trash scattered here and there.

What ever has been tracking the party does not make an appearance right away and the party begins the chores of making camp in the first hour of the rising new moon. Overhead, the skies are slightly overcast and non threatening.
Karok Gemsmith
 Player, 23 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:16
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Karok dragged in firewood, searched for edible plants, drew up water ina pot to boil, meanwhile ruminating: "Mind you, you see this kind of thing out away from civilization. A predator will set up near a watering hole, or salt lick, or place where the prey will have to come. I wonder if this nice, well-used campsite has become such a place...?"
Tynia Earthbound
 Player, 15 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:16
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tynia was silent, but she did keep gazing at the family. She was wary of them. That and the fact there was something out there waiting to attack them or something.

She had no idea who or what.

She would set up a few things of her own in the way of camping, particularily food (vegetables) and a place to rest (somewhere under a tree or something close by).
Game Moderator
 GM, 33 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:17
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tiwesdæg, 00.20 mins (new moon)

Durwe remains silent as the camp area is set and leads the wagon to spot. It is evident the ride on the wagon seat has made an impact on his mood and comfort. He sets to feeding the wagon drawing horse, which looks in sad shape to begin with; sagging sides with ribs showing and thin hide with patches of fur missing here and there. The animal seems to appreciate the little attention from the elf.

Tynia readies for cooking and sets her gear in readying for sleep.

Karok searches the immediate area for firewood, and finds none. He will have to enter the forest edges around the side of the pond to find some, like the family near them has done.

The family near them, had entered the southern side, so he enters the north and finds wood aplenty.

Returning, he finds Jhaelin harvesting wild tubers growing near the ponds water, a type of water cress which has not flowered yet and become bitter.

The family nearby remain to themselves, cooking, tending fire and offering curious glances toward the PCs. The only thing out of place, is an occasional racking cough, coming from their wagon. There must be a fifth person there, unseen.
Karok Gemsmith
 Player, 24 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:18
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
"Had worse," Karok allowed, blowing his cress-tuber cooler, then biting in. "'M thinking guardshifts, tonight, by the way. I'll take the middle watch, myself. I figure you spellcasters might need more rest, and I can see fine in the dark."

A wracking cough was heard from the neighbor's wagon. "Sounds like someone's not well." he turned to Jaelin. "You trained to ease sickness and the like?"
Jhaelin
 Player, 11 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:18
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Jhaelin looks over at the wagon from which the coughing can be heard coming from. He thought he could see the wagon wheels move a little with each cough.

"I am only an acolyte in the hierarchy of the church of Heirneous, but I may be able to give some comfort, depending on what exactly the problem is."

Finishing his meal, Jhaelin stands, then excuses himself from the camp to make his way over to the family, approaching them cautiously and non-threateningly.
Karok Gemsmith
 Player, 25 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:18
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
"Keep alert, here," Karok recommended to the elves. "I'm going to move in closer to ward the boy in case those travelers are something worse than they appear."
The dwarf left the campfire at an oblique angle away from the other fire circle. Once having gained the darkness of the night, he circled, and closed much of the distance to the family's camp. Staying far beyond the light of their fire, he took advantage of his own dwarven vision. Quietly he withdrew his sword from its' scabbard and stood ready, in case the young Hieronioan acolyte found himself in danger.
Tynia Earthbound
 Player, 16 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:19
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tynia had taken up her bow and quiver of arrows and was holding them ready to be used though the arrows were just close to her.

Her senses were acute, trained on everywhere, just in case of trouble.

She nodded in response to Karok as he moved away to surrepticilly follow Jhaelin. She too followed with her senses on alert.
Durwe Ondosume
 Player, 16 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:19
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Durwe remains in their own camp, busying himself with his gear or the fire while keeping a wary eye on what is transpiring with Jhaelin. He prefers to stand as much as he can now, considering having sit all day long on the hard wagon seat. It feels good to stand.

"I think I will take the first watch, if the rest of you don't mind." he says, absently throwing another piece of dried wood on the fire.

"I have been sitting all day."

Durwe makes sure he is near his weapon... just in case
~NPC~
 NPC, 3 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:26
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
"Stop your stride right there young man! We don't want any trouble! We be mind'n our own business here."

The man places a hand within the back of his wagon as he shouts to the approaching Jhaelin. His weapon is within reach.

"Sara. Ronin. Get behind the wagon. NOW!"
Jhaelin
 Player, 12 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:26
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Jhaelin halts his stride and throws his arms wide with palms out, showing he is unarmed.

"I am called Jhaelin, an acolyte of Heironeous in Falcarragh, friend, and only wish to offer my services... freely, to ease any pain or discomfort that I can. I can hear someone coughing there within your wagon. I -we- mean you no harm."
Game Moderator
 GM, 34 posts
Wed 6 Jan 2016
at 07:27
Chapter II - The Road to Falcon's Hollow
Tiwesdæg, 00.30 mins (New Moon)

The man agrees to allow Jhaelin approach the camp, and gives wary glances to the other members of the cleric's party. He notes too the missing dwarf, no doubt, close by.

Jhaelin spends several minutes in the camp, talking with the family, then climbs inside the makeshift canvas wagon and out of sight. The conversations are low and can not be heard by others in the party's camp. The dwarf is also too far away to hear what was said.

Time passes and Jhaelin has yet to come from the wagon...