A time of ill omens.   Posted by The Norn.Group: 0
The Norn
 GM, 7 posts
 The fates
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 13:12
A time of ill omens
Two generations had passed since Good King Sturmvolk the Swift had broken the Jotunn at the battle of Brushivagyr.

The war had raged for five full years, many had died on both sides, the halls of Valhalla surely much have filled two full tables with valiant warriors who would someday fight against the Jotunn again at Ragnarok.

Hragvoll the Fierce had fallen at the hands of the king himself, and when the largest, most powerful war chieftain of all the Jotunn had collapsed, brains and blood turning the river forever red, the will of the Jotunn's to contest ownership of Jotenheimr was broken.

Surely the gods were pleased, for an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity fell upon the warriors and their families. Winters were mind, crops were bountiful, and war raids seemed always successful.

Two score years and four of mind winters.

But now that time seemed to be at an end.

Storms raged. Ships that attempted to leave crashed upon jagged rocks, ships that were expected failed to arrive. The most recent winter had been harsh. To the north, some fields were said to have remnants of snow into late Skerpla (Some time in May). Many farms reported numerous underweight calves and weak unsteady foals.

Runes were cast, sheep intestines were examined, but the reading were cloudy and vague. Fear gripped the common folk of the fourteen cities of man.

As the short summer receded, one ship made landfall at Dj˙prborg, on the east coast of Jotenheimr. The captain and crew were locals who spoke of terrible storms, monstrous creatures and an unending darkness. The ship also carried four heroes from afar.

Amund Gunvar, tall and hale, with a mighty good humor and a mighty weapon bestowed upon him by Hel* herself. He is always seen with his faithful companion Geri, a dog of great size, and considerable intellect.

Klaengr Aegirson, scion of the storm god who he has taken as his name sake. Rumor has it that it was his prayers that brought them thru the storms that now surround the island.

Ludvig Frydenlund, Klaengr's loyal bondsmen and protector, a might warrior in his own stead.

and Vermundr, the silent man, haunted by his past but dedicated to dying at the hands of the first Jotunn he meets and does not slay.

This foursome had spoken with the masters of the city, in the great long hall of Dj˙prborg, and were soon given supplies and map to aid them in seeking out their blood-sworn foes the Jotunn, with their initial destination to be Vimursdat, high in the mountains a fortnight north and west. No messengers had been heard from this quarter in several weeks, and rumors fly that the city has been destroyed. The city fathers would know the truth.

Many a brave man volunteered to go along, but the War Chiefs of the city were loath weaken the cities own defenses. Only two had gone against their wishes and joined the hardy band of heroes. (Heroes many felt were doomed to begin with...)

Dragnor Donegal, the Whistling Bard, a traveler who many feel is an ill omen in himself, though the Raven that rides his should is assumed to be an eye for Odin himself, and Hrunnwulf Jorgaldsen, a man renowned for his strength and endurance. Alone of the party, he leaves behind a family, a wife and seven children.

Once the band has gathered at the gate, their next (and perhaps final) adventure will begin. The first glow of the sun has come over the horizon. A small band of holy folk, men and women, sip hot beverages in a circle, while Aki'Alvarr, the Hetman of Dj˙prborg stood by the gate with his three bondsmen and his favorite wife, all waiting to give their final advice and blessings to the intrepid band...




*Hel is the goddess of death, and as such generally shunned, however she is still of Asgard, and worshiped by the people. The daughter of Loki, grandchild of Odin, she is a being of great power, but expected to fight at the side of the gods at Ragnarok.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:55, Sun 27 Mar 2016.

Hrunnwulf Jorgaldsen
 player, 2 posts
 4th level warrior
 AC5, HP 35/35
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 17:14
A time of ill omens
Hruun steps from the long house to blaring sunlight.  He wipes his bleary eyes and scratches at his beard, then takes a long deep breath of the morning air.  Its not as clean as the country air, permeated with smells of cooking, dung, and piss.  But, it did not smell like vomit, stale ale, and leather...which is what he just walked from.

He is set.  All his gear has been purchased.  All that is required now is to meet up with the others at the gate.

Ten minutes later, Hruun approaches the gate.  "A blasted send off party!" he grumbles lowly to himself.  "Great."

Regardless of his inner thoughts, he forces a smile on his face as he approaches and greets the Hetman, Aki'Alvarr with a nod of his head.  He is first here.  Odd that.  He figured the one with the dog would be here first.  Perhaps he should reassess his first impressions.  Of course, those impressions were behind a lot.. a LOT of mead.

"Okay," he says, taking a hot cup of something from one of the onlookers. He regards the Hetman with a critical eye.  "We wait a bit for the others eh?  Have you any news?"
Geri
 player, 1 post
 wuff wuff
 grrr...
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 17:19
A time of ill omens
Geri comes rushing in from the fields outside of town, romping around with a few of the teenager boys of the town - although he is very fearsome to those he opposes, he is also playful with those he likes.
Amund Gunvar
 player, 2 posts
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 17:28
A time of ill omens
Amund follows closely behind Geri with a couple of freshly killed rabbits hanging from his belt.  He sees Hrunnwulf and walks over there.  "Amund is happy to see you have come and are not afraid of the Jotunn.  Amund and Geri got bored waiting here and did a little hunting - a little snack for the journey."

Amund turns to the crowd, smiles, and raises his 'Mace of Jotunn Smashing' high above his head before addressing them.  "Amund has heard of your plight, and has taken this downturn to be a sign that Jotunn are on the rise and must be brought down!  This is the labor pains before the birth of a Jotunn nation, and it must be stopped now!!  Amund is off to, to . . ."  He stops and turns to Hrunnwulf to ask where they were going.  After getting the answer he continues "to Vimursdat to defeat the Jotunn scum at their core!!!"

He waives his mace in anger and seems about to throw it before Geri jumps in front of him and barks loudly, calming Amund slightly.
Dragnar Donegal
 player, 3 posts
 Whistling Bard
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 18:20
A time of ill omens
Dragnar approaches the others waiting at the gates, " Good morning all, I see we are ready to travel and smite the jotunn, this is godd indeed." A black Raven flies down landing upon his shoulder, "Odin's son, Odin's son." Dragnar looks with affection at the raven."yes Davion, they heard you yet they don't believe you. Later when they see my true power which my father Odin has bestowed upon me to use in his name they will believe."
Klaengr Aegirson
 player, 2 posts
 sturm and drang
 and bacon sandwiches
Fri 25 Mar 2016
at 19:49
A time of ill omens
Klaengr was loaded down with packs and supplies for the journey as he stomped through the snow up to where the others were waiting. His long red locks slipped out of the hood of his bright white fur hood, and his blue apatite inlaid silver torc which matched his icy blue eyes revealed his devotion to the storm god Aegir.

The short stubby warrior priest thought to himself, Aegir take the Jotunn for forcing us to give up warm fires and hot breakfast every morning.

Klaengr sauntered over to the group of heroes and said, "Cold. Windy. Aegir urges us to proceed swiftly. It is a good sign that we will be victorious over our enemes."

He turned to the crowd and bowed. "Farewell, kinsmen. We go to discern what has happened to our brothers and sisters afar. And should it be true that the Jotunn are responsible for their deaths, we go to avenge them. We will not rest until their souls are at peace. "

This message was lightly edited by the player at 19:50, Fri 25 Mar 2016.

Vermundr
 player, 1 post
 Protector of Man
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 02:37
A time of ill omens
"We will not rest as long as Jotunn breath air on this world. There are plenty of kinsmen, past and further past, we can avenge, plenty indeed." Vermundr's cold grey steel eyes showed no joy, the look of a hunter, single mindedly focused on his prey.
Ludvig Frydenlund
 player, 1 post
 Loyal Muscle
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 04:49
A time of ill omens
Ludvig follows closely behind Klaengr and keeps bystanders away from the cleric.  He solemnly greets the others and simply states "Let's go."
The Norn
 GM, 11 posts
 The fates
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 02:16
A time of ill omens
Aki'Alvarr slaps his hand upon the shoulder of Hrunnwulf, a wry smile on his shaking head.

"We shall miss you, we could certainly use your arm at our side, should Dj˙prborg be attacked." He said no more however having already agreed to stop trying to convince the mighty warrior any further.

The priests glance in his direction, ambiguous grimaces across the span of them. The guarding of the city was the Hetman's burden, they felt the heroes journey was perhaps more important, in varying degrees.

They all cowered at the sight of Amund's Gods-Nautr: a gift from a god or goddess, much less one from Hel herself, was not something they would see displayed so boldly, but none felt they had the place to speak to the (simple-minded?) hero about it.

The bard arrived with his dark-bird upon his shoulder. None of the assembled dignitaries would miss his presence in the town, nor would many of the towns husbands and boyfriends. While no one had caught him dipping into another man's pot of honey, he had caught the eye of his fair share of honey bees during his stay.

Ever thoughtful, the priest looked to the sky, and counselled they move on. He turned to the crowd and bowed. "Farewell, kinsmen. We go to discern what has happened to our brothers and sisters afar. And should it be true that the Jotunn are responsible for their deaths, we go to avenge them. We will not rest until their souls are at peace."

Vermunder and Ludvig echoed his sentiment. With nothing left to say, the party headed out thru the stout gates of the city.




Of the two locals, Dragnar had by far done the most travelling  across these lands. He walked aside Klaengr while Amund and Geri scouted out a short distance ahead. The three warriors followed behind, all men of action more then words, but they eyed each other, taking their measure...

"Most of the cities of man are on the southern portion of the island," the bard explained, "Vimursdat sits in the range of mountains you see to the north there, wedged in a crevice with a mighty waterfall running down the middle."

The snow was light on the ground, but the terrain was not forgiving. Tree's were few and those were twisted and stunted. The bard managed to find some berries that he said were nutritious, and who try them find them a bit bitter but not unbearably so.

They stop for a late lunch, Amund's rabbits providing fresh meat for them all. Ludvig stays close to Klaengr, while Vermundr feels the need to scout a bit.
Amund Gunvar
 player, 3 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 03:19
A time of ill omens
Over lunch Amund eyes the Raven standing by Dragnar and addresses the Bard.  "Does your bird have a name?  Can it speak to you?  A bird like this once spoke to Amund.  It gave Amund clues to finding his Mace of Jotunn Smashing."  Amund holds up his magical mace and then nods.  "Amund respects your bird."
Dragnar Donegal
 player, 4 posts
 Whistling Bard
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 03:55
A time of ill omens
The Raven appears to bow and show acknowledgement of Amund. " Smart man, Odin has his tools."

Dragnar speaks to Amund, " His name is Davion, yes he does speak to me and aids me as he can and with whatever guidance he has been given."
Vermundr
 player, 2 posts
 Protector of Man
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 04:25
A time of ill omens
Vermundr tries to stay still and out of sight from the Jotunn. He tries to spot their heading if they are moving and about how far away, and how fast they are moving. After getting a good fix on their movement, or if they are staying still what they are doing, then he tries to head back to the camp to alert the others quietly.

"Jotunn adolescents and a female. Maybe 9 or so total. We should ambush them."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:27, Sun 27 Mar 2016.

Dragnar Donegal
 player, 5 posts
 Whistling Bard
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 04:36
A time of ill omens
" Thank you for the warning. Are they heading this way, if so how about i let them ambush me while the rest of you hide and come to my rescue. I can stay here and pray to my father for his aid, then when they are near attack. The rest will attack then or once they attack me.'
The Norn
 GM, 12 posts
 The fates
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 06:31
A time of ill omens
They were actually passing by a short distance to the north of the small culvert the party was in, but if Dragnar's plan is one the party wishes to act upon, it would not be hard for him to put himself where they can see him.
Klaengr Aegirson
 player, 3 posts
 sturm and drang
 and bacon sandwiches
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 12:37
A time of ill omens
Klaengr mused over the plan for a few moments. "Vermundr, we know how you feel about the Jotunn, and you are right, they are dispicable selfish filth that desere no quarter. But consider, this is not our mission. Right now we can choose to avoid this encounter and proceed on our main course. If we provoke a fight here, we could lose valuable time and resources that we will need to complete our mission, for our kin. They are depending on us to find out what happened, but if we fight we may cut off the mission or jeopardize its success before it even begins. I suggest we let them pass by and kill them on the way home, instead."

Klaengr hoped his appeal for patience would stave the fire in Vermundr's heart, but he doubted it would. At least, he hoped the others would choose strategy over vengeance.
Hrunnwulf Jorgaldsen
 player, 4 posts
 4th level warrior
 AC5, HP 35/35
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 17:20
A time of ill omens
Hruun casts a sidelong glance at he bird on the Dragnar's shoulder.  From gods or no, it is uncanny.  It will take some getting used to.  The willingness of the bard to act as bait for the benefit of the group was admirable.  But Klaengr's wisdom won Hruun over.

"Aye, Klaengr speaks wisely." he states.
Geri
 player, 2 posts
 wuff wuff
 grrr...
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 03:48
A time of ill omens
Geri barked loudly at Klaengr's suggestion and began running around in circles.
Amund Gunvar
 player, 4 posts
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 03:53
A time of ill omens
Almost in unison with the dog, Amund heatedly jumps up.  "Are you crazy Klaengr?!?  After all Amund and Klaengr have been through, you should know that Jotunn cannot be trusted!  If Amund doesn't kill them now, Amund is not true to the warrior code!"

Amund runs around in a circle (similar to Geri) and ends at Vermundr, with Geri at his side.  "Tell Amund where you saw these Jotunn.  Amund and Geri will take care of them even if none of the rest of you Jotunn-lovers won't!"
Klaengr Aegirson
 player, 5 posts
 sturm and drang
 and bacon sandwiches
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 04:51
A time of ill omens
Klaengr's face reddens with anger at the insult from his kinsman.

"No coward am I, Amund, and also no fool. A warrior chooses his battles, or he lives not to be an OLD warrior. But if your ego is too proud to let these children pass so that we can reach the real Jotunn warriors before they are alerted to us, then by all means, take Vermundir and slaughter them. We will back you up, of course. Are we not brothers? But be sure that we leave no survivors to warn the others."

Klaengr frowns and crosses his arms, looking at the other companions to see if anyone else would calm the hot blooded ones down.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 04:51, Mon 28 Mar 2016.

Dragnar Donegal
 player, 6 posts
 Whistling Bard
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 04:56
A time of ill omens
"Amund let me be in place when they see me if they attack kill them all, I will be the bait and you and your brothers the jaws of the mighty trap.' Looks to the others, "In this way we can ensure there are no survivors, their will be no warnings. Odin has given me my gifts to aid us in the killing of our enemies."
Vermundr
 player, 3 posts
 Protector of Man
Mon 28 Mar 2016
at 05:07
A time of ill omens
"The plan is good, Dragnar. Klaengr worries like little old woman. Best to leave no Jutunn alive to attack any of our towns. They may be young now, but they grow older and they just get more dangerous. You be the bait, Dragnar, and we will be the big stick smashing down on them."

Vermundr's heart raced at the thought of the coming battle. His axe yearned to spill Jotunn blood. Today was a good day to avenge.