Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton.   Posted by Watcher.Group: archive 0
Watcher
 GM, 68 posts
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 03:05
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
It takes the group a few days to make travel arrangements, but they are soon underway. Meira informs you the journey is four or five days on horseback, twice that on foot. The mornings are still cool. Fog rises off low areas that are still snowy and the melt generally makes things VERY MUDDY.

The first couple of days pass with little incident. You meet a traveler or two on the road, perhaps sharing a meal with them, and then you each go on your way. On the third day, you enter the Welkwood. This is an old growth forest whose tall trees' VAST CANOPY OF LEAVES shade the forest floor. The shade has slowed the melt here, leaving PATCHES OF ICE AND SNOW here and there along the road. You have to take these patches carefully, lest a horse slip and injure itself.

Late in the day, the road passes along the banks of a pond overlooked by a grassy meadow that is significantly sunnier. It looks like a decent place to camp.



Scene distinctions are in blue caps.

Feel free to post something descriptive about your preparations and how each of you are traveling. You have enough money and clout to have horses if you want. You could also post something about your character's thoughts or conversations during the first couple of days. Meira is accompanying you (if you want).

Someone, probably Varik, should make an Exploration roll (see msg #8 in the House Rules thread).


Jean Esperon
 player, 22 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 2
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 13:30
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Jean rides along quietly with the others. The open air was not his favorite place--he always felt exposed in the wild, even in the forest. He surveyed the area around him, looking for anything interesting and watching for threats, while the more outdoors-native among his friends led the way.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 21 posts
 PP: 2, XP: 4
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 15:08
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Varik did not need a horse. Varik could become a horse...but rarely did. He almost never became any form of domesticated animal. Instead he ran ahead of the group, moving as squirrel, or wolf, or even an deer when speed was needed. The patches of snow and ice made travel somewhat difficult-but quickly moving from place to place as a normal seeming animal made travel fairly safe. Normal beasts would not attack a druid after all. Nor would the more human predators give him much mind as he blended in with the wild...

OOC:
11:02, Today: Varik Venrenson rolled 4,13,2,8 using d4,2d8,d10,d10 with rolls of 4,7,6,2,8.  Exploration roll.

Patches of snow and ice (d4 +1 PP)
Senses-2d8
SFX-Wildhunt
Shapeshift-d10
Nature-d10

Total=17, Effect die-d10

This message was last edited by the player at 15:09, Wed 02 Nov 2016.

The Man of Iron
 player, 18 posts
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 15:52
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
The Man of Iron tended to ride toward the head of the group, dropping back and circling a perimeter before assuming that position again at regular clockwork intervals as the group traveled.  The massive horse they had had to acquire for the metallic mercenary soon grew accustomed to this routine, and both man and beast became a sort of mobile sentry for the Defenders.  The horse, named 'My Large Brown Horse' by the Man of Iron, picked its way carefully through the ice as its warforged rider kept his unblinking eyes open for danger...though he was mostly relying on their forward scout for any alarums.

"I am experiencing difficulty discerning our druid-friend from approaching wildlife," he says, to anyone in earshot.  "I propose that we mark him in some way.  I should be able to attach one of my shoulder pieces to his back perhaps?"
Daedur Talond
 player, 6 posts
 Stress: P-0 E-0 M-0
 Trauma: P-0 E-0 M-0
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 19:13
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
As the Defenders left the darkness of the forest for the sunny meadow, Daedur felt himself longing for the cover of the forest they'd traveled through. Though some could find the shadows of Welkwood to be depressing, they reminded Daedur of the forest he'd grown up near, and he was never as unnerved when surrounded by foliage as when there was no cover at all. Daedur flanked the Man of Iron, except on his systematic routine of circling the group, which vaguely reminded Daedur of a sheep dog trying to keep its herd all in one place. The sun's rays were just beginning to show a hint of crimson as he heard the Man of Iron make his suggestion.
"That could be useful," Daedur agreed, as he too occasionally had trouble discerning the stealthy druid from ordinary wildlife, "but if we make him stand out from the normal animals, would it not defeat the purpose of him shifting at all? A potential threat could recognize him as what he actually is, or at least stop to wonder what a wild animal is doing a chunk of metal strapped to its back." After a pause, Daedur addressed a squirrel he desperately hoped was Varik. "What do you think, Varik?"
Varik Venrenson
 player, 22 posts
 PP: 3, XP: 4
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 19:21
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
In reply to Daedur Talond (msg # 5):

The group hears a familiar throat being cleared behind them, and certainly not coming from the small bushy rodent in question. "I think of you try to strap something metal to me, I am gonna add something organic to you. Most likely in your shoes." Even as the group turns about, a small white fox can be seen vanishing into the snowy underbrush.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:24, Wed 02 Nov 2016.

The Man of Iron
 player, 19 posts
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 19:28
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
The Man of Iron ponders these events, his lambent eyes flickering slightly before he intones, "It is just as well, then, that my footwear is not detachable.  But I see the superior wisdom in your words, elf-friend Daedur; I will endeavor to protect all animals I believe to be our druid-friend, as his value to the party is considerable."
Daedur Talond
 player, 7 posts
 Stress: P-0 E-0 M-0
 Trauma: P-0 E-0 M-0
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 19:43
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Much more embarrassed at his mistake than he hoped to let on, Daedur gave a weak cough and mentally kicked himself for confusing Varik with a normal squirrel. "Well, I suppose that matter is settled..." Anxious to change the subject, Daedur eyed the sun as it sunk lower in the sky. "It is growing somewhat late in the day and it would be wise to find shelter soon. Should we perhaps settle here for the night? We are near a source of water and we may not find a better option before the sun sets."
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 10 posts
 Stress P0 M0 E0 PP1
 Trauma P0 M0 E0
Wed 2 Nov 2016
at 23:10
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
The Light hearted banter on the road had done wonders to Kilain's disposition. instead of grumbling...he had merely groused here and then. Varik, ye be peein in me boots and it'll find its way up yur arse. he tried to joke, though he was sure it came off as something...less.

The pony he had purchased was hearty but stout. Unfortunately his short legs work well with a full sized horse, and a few of the group had made Kilain the butt of their jokes. He didnt mind...mostly.

He always kept to the rear of the group. performing prayers to The Soul Forger on the cold ground in the early morn.

He was eager to get to where they were going. Adventurers life was well suited to the stodgy Dwarf

This message was last edited by the player at 01:26, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

Jean Esperon
 player, 26 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 2
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 18:00
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Jean nods at Daedur's comments. "I agree. I'll scout the perimeter and find a few good places to set up watch. We'll want to know the lighting here overnight, to take what advantage the stars and moon can give us."

He hops down, tying his horse's bridle to a tree for a minute and starts scouting the perimeter, getting to know the area...

Leveraging the Vast Canopy of Leaves to take advantage of lighting (or lack of it) later.

Roll:
d8 Distinction (Smooth, Skilled and Somewhat Magical)
d8 Exceptional Reflexes
d8 Exceptional Senses
d10 Skulduggery Master

Total of 13, using a d8 (roll of 3) as an asset for the scene if successful.

13:55, Today: Jean Esperon rolled 5,3,8,1 using d8,d8,d8,d10 with rolls of 5,3,8,1.  Creating Asset--Canopy of Leaves.


[Private to GM: If I did any part of this wrong, just let me know.]
Watcher
 GM, 72 posts
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 01:05
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton

19:59, Today: Watcher rolled 22 using 4d6 with rolls of 4,6,6,6.  doom pool resist varik.

12/d6. Varik wins by 5 so he steps up his effect die to d12.


As they proceed further into the Welkwood, Varik starts to see signs that they are not alone. At first it's a footprint here and a broken branch there, but as they get deeper, the signs become larger and clearer. Following the trail in various shifting forms, he arrives upon a raider camp of considerable size. He's able to identify at least twenty goblins, a trio of bugbears, an ogrillon, and a very large, armored half-orc leading the group. They have set up camp apparently for the night, roasting the remains of some unlucky animal or three over a large central fire. Varik is easily able to scope out the camp's perimeter and spot several gaps in the defenses before slipping back to the group to report his findings.
Watcher
 GM, 73 posts
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 01:11
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton

20:08, Today: Watcher rolled 16 using 4d6 with rolls of 4,6,5,1.  doom resist jean.

11/d6 with 1 opp.

I will buy Jean's opportunity for rolling a 1 to add a d6 to the doom pool.

Doom pool now at 5d6, Jean gets +1PP.

Jean wins, so he gets to create a d8 Asset. I'll call it LEAFY COVER.

[Private to Jean Esperon: Dice pool looked good.]



Jean scouts around and spots a few nice places where the leaves and underbrush would provide some good cover.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 25 posts
 PP: 3, XP: 4
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 02:01
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
The white fox returned to the group, only to reassume the form of Varik. "Its quite a large force." He said, shaking his head.

"At least twenty goblins, three bugbears, one ogrillon, and a heavily armed half orc as the topping of this offal pie." He growled. "I can certainly get us in past the guards, as I know their routes. But the element of surprise only counts for so much..."
Lystra
 player, 8 posts
Sat 5 Nov 2016
at 22:52
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Lystra was not comfortable on horse-back.  Enslaving an animal to human needs never appealed to her sense of communion with nature.  But to keep up with this group, it was necessary.  The horse, she sensed, was more comfortable with her than she was with it, and she took to it easily, even without a saddle.  She hoped that when they were done with their steeds that she could find proper care for hers.

She took in the measure of her fellows, as much as she could get.  It was an interesting group, and perhaps she could fit in even better among that.  She felt some affinity for the man she helped away from the woods, but they had exchanged no communication since that time.  The shape-shifter also caught her attention, as he seemed that he could have a connection to the natural world, assuming from seeing his impressive abilities to change his form.  She had some concern for the metal-man, or rather for his horse, which had to support a great amount of weight on its encumbered back.  Yet she did nothing, to her own disappointment in herself.

As the group comes to a stop, she takes in the words of the form-shifter.  She senses the urgency in his voice and presumes that there are enemies ahead.  She comes off the horse and readies her bow, prepared for whatever lead her group takes.  She looks to whoever makes the next move.
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 11 posts
 Stress P0 M0 E0 PP1
 Trauma P0 M0 E0
Sun 6 Nov 2016
at 02:13
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Kilain listened to Varik describe what he saw...and frowned. Quite a number of his races ancients foes in one place. Goblins, their cousins, bugbears, Ogrillon and an orc. A raiding party.

He called everyone near by as they began to discuss the plan and he reached out and touched the earth, feeling its power...reaching down into it with his senses he grapsed some earth within his hands and intoning a chant began to pour it on the feet of his allies calling on the earths blessing in moving quietly into the camp...maintaining in the shadows...

see if I can do this right. trying to use sorcery to create an asset.
19:12, Today: Kilain Gravendak rolled 17 using 4d8 with rolls of 3,5,2,7.  create an asset. 4d8 is this correct?...id have a 15? right?

The Man of Iron
 player, 20 posts
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 14:54
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
The Man of Iron took in their druid's words carefully; in his earliest wild wanderings after the death of his Creator, the warforged had been obliged many times to protect travelers on the road from such creatures as this.  Some life, it seemed, existed only to prey on weaker life; the whole thing seemed very inefficient in the long run.  Perhaps if they could all be fitted with a set of magical batteries instead..?  But that is a problem for another time.

As the dwarf begins his rituals, the Man of Iron unsheathes his sword and removes his shield.  "This road will not be safe for the towns between until such evil is destroyed."  He awaits further input.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:31, Mon 07 Nov 2016.

Watcher
 GM, 75 posts
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 20:22
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Yup, let's have you engage these guys. You could probably sneak around them if you wanted to, but I want to do a combat trial run.

The camp is arranged in concentric layers. There are goblin watches/scouts at the outermost layer, then come the bugbears, spaced out to make a triangle around the inner camp. Last are the ogrillon and armored orc in a big yurt in the middle of the camp.

You guys have the element of surprise, so you'll get to go first. If you have ranged weapons, you could strike at any of the layers. If you only have melee, you can strike the goblins or bugbears, but will have to wait until the 2nd round to move in on the ogrillon and orc.

Unlike MHR, I want to try team initiative, so you guys do your actions in any order (I suggest the veterans go first to give the newbies some more examples). No need to call out who's next or wait for your turn - just post. I'll try to do reactions as quickly as possible as actions come in. That keeps it more manageable and gives you the chance to use stress and asset dice in later pools. After all of you have gone, then I'll do all the raiders at once. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'll give you 48 hours from when the first move is posted to get yours up. If you haven't posted by then, I'll skip you and go on to doing the raiders.

The goblins will be 4 mobs w/4d6 each (d8 effect or better will reduce one of their dice). The bugbears 1 mob w/4d8 (d10 or better to reduce a die), and the other two are individuals (various dice pools, but d12 or better to KO). Note, unlike MHR, you do NOT have to get everyone OVER d12 to KO them.

I'm sure I forgot something... fire away with questions if you need some more info before figuring out your move.


Varik Venrenson
 player, 27 posts
 PP: 3, XP: 4
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 20:56
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Ooc-Can I try to make a shapechange asset before the attack?
Watcher
 GM, 76 posts
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 21:02
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
In reply to Varik Venrenson (msg # 18):

Yes.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 28 posts
 PP: 4, XP: 4
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 21:16
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
In reply to Watcher (msg # 19):

Varik prepared his snow cat form, staying put of everyone's sight, and using the element of surprise to take his time with his transformation.  That turned out to be a good idea, as the instincts of large hunting animals where very powerful, and always threatened to overcome his mind.

(Ooc:
16:11, Today: Varik Venrenson rolled 4,1,9,7,12 using 1d4,1d8,1d10,1d10,1d12 with rolls of 4,1,9,7,12.  shapechange into snow leapord asset.

Animal instincts-d4 (+1 pp)
Stamina - d8
Shapeshift - d10
Nature - d10
Asset-d12

Total=21, effect die-d10)

This message was last edited by the player at 00:20, Tue 08 Nov 2016.

Kilain Gravendak
 player, 13 posts
 Stress P0 M0 E0 PP1
 Trauma P0 M0 E0
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 00:15
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
We cannae be sneaking past these foul creatures. We need to put them down so they don be hurtin anyone else. The Dwarf said standing up as Varik changed into a snowcat.

I be thinking we sneak past the Goblins into the Bugbear area and then punch through to the Leaders. A few of us try to confuse the Goblins so they don be hittin us all together. Our Goal take out the leadership while we are at out strongest, then finish up the minions.
Jean Esperon
 player, 28 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 3
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 03:17
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Jean smiles broadly. "Sneaking is never a problem, Kilain. Follow me."

Rolls to follow...
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 15 posts
 Stress P0 M0 E0 PP1
 Trauma P0 M0 E0
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 03:37
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Aye and Ive talked to the earth and it will be aiding us in our stealth.

Asset Muffled Footsteps d8
The Man of Iron
 player, 23 posts
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 14:38
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
The Man of Iron lowers his vocalizer to a soft whisper as he pulls the mighty My Large Brown Horse into a slower pace, "Give the word, friends, and I will charge forward to draw the bulk of their ire.  I should be able to give a few good minutes to our more specialized allies."
Jean Esperon
 player, 29 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 3
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 21:30
Episode 01, Scene 02: The Road to Safeton
Jean nods. "Go now, Man of Iron."

He slips into the shadow...

Rolls to follow :-)