Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor.   Posted by Watcher.Group: archive 0
Jean Esperon
 player, 60 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 02:46
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean blinks in horror, and then raises his hands. "Let me..." he begins before the eyes roll back in his head. He holds out his hand and traces of power streak out from them. They wrap around the rubble, race between them, but do not seem to get a good grip on them.

Trying to use magic to save the trapped person, or at least help. If I can't flat-out do it, I want to provide an Asset to help someone dig.

Distinction (...Somehow Magical) d8
Magical Aptitude d8
Sorcery d8

And get crap roll. Well, at least I gave you a 1 you can buy. Total of 5 with effect die of d8.
21:45, Today: Jean Esperon rolled 2,1,3 using 1d8,1d8,1d8 with rolls of 2,1,3.  Attempting to save buried person.

Watcher
 GM, 132 posts
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 18:42
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Varik, Daedur, and Jean cooperate to move the rubble. The smoke and dust stings their eyes, and causes them to cough and choke, but they keep at it. Daedur and Varik move debris while Jean uses his magic to help support the structure and prevent it from further collapse.

Soon the trio have uncovered a charred wardrobe. Varik can hear the knocking coming from inside it. Opening it reveals a small boy, possibly 10 years old. His eyes are watery and his cheeks stained with tears and soot. He looks at his saviors with a distant look in his eyes, as if he doesn't see them. Coughing, choking, and sobbing, he allows Varik and Daedur to help him out of the rubble.

They take him over to Meira, who sits down with him and hugs and slowly rocks him. They stay that way for quite a while. While they are waiting, they are unable to find any more survivors in the rubble.

After about half an hour Meira looks up and tells the others, "This is Frederick, a servant boy in the Dame's household. He can answer a few questions now, but please don't overdo it."
Jean Esperon
 player, 61 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 02:38
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean bent down by the boy, smiling and speaking in a gentle tone. "Hello, Frederick. We're glad to see you. Can you tell me the last time you saw the Dame?"
Watcher
 GM, 133 posts
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 02:05
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
"The Dame?" Frederick repeats and breaks down into sobs again. "The... bad... men... took her... away" he manages to get out between uncontrollable breaths.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 55 posts
 PP: 7, XP: 11
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 15:46
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
"Did any of the bad men use magic?" He asked the boy. Varik was a bit gruff, but he tried to soften his normally growl-like voice. He glanced back at the cliff, wondering if the kidnappers somehow took the women in the ocean.
The Man of Iron
 player, 47 posts
 Stress Pd12 M0 E0 PP2
 Trauma Pd4 M0 E0
Tue 10 Jan 2017
at 15:59
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
The Man of Iron is not good with children; the whole of the concept itself is rather...squelchy?  However, people definitely needed saving, and this tiny creature had information that would help them.

Rather than frighten the poor mortal by speaking, the hulking Man of Iron instead opts to loom threateningly over Jean's shoulder, being literally no help whatsoever.
Lystra
 player, 19 posts
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 00:24
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Since just after arriving in the town, Lystra kept here distance even more. While the others slept in the inn, she wandered outside and found her own lodging in a pile of leaves on the edge of the nearby forest. This made her much more comfortable than being in a building even though she was physically farther from her companions. She had woken well before morning and made her way around the town, avoiding interaction with the townspeople and awaiting the rest of the group to make their way outside and leave the place. She had followed behind the group while they traveled to the next place, observing the nearby environment for signs of anything out of place and finding little.

She stayed on her own trailing the group as they crested the hill and witnessed the first signs of smoke from the demolished manor. She had smelled it in the air before they saw it and, once the smoke affirmed her fear, memories rushed back so quickly in her mind that she gasped aloud. She froze but her horse carried her on along with her companions as if it dragged her to the site against a resistance that came to nothing. Her mouth was dry and her ears rang but once the group reached a distance to see that indeed the place had been destroyed, contrary to her instincts that said to stop, she snapped back and felt her body recapture a sense of action. She shook her head as if it lose the thoughts that flooded it, to no avail, but at least she was clear enough that she could will herself to do something. She dismounted alongside her allies and rushed to the house to see if there was anything she could do. Without the raw strength to sift through the rubble or the sense to find any survivor, she again stayed on the edge of activity, ready to give a hand but mostly finding herself of little use. Finally someone was found among the debris but again she found herself frozen, if for just a moment. Some distant, buried instinct urged her to move in and offer help ti the boy but when he appeared dirty but unharmed she kept her place just outside of the home and looked around elsewhere.

As part of the group attends to the boy survivor, assuming his wounds did not leave him at death's door, Lystra follows the ones examining the trail of those who committed this calamity. If they had affected the area, it was possible she could find a trace in the natural elements to help find where they went. Her head is still unclear but she sets about proving her usefulness, looking closely at the ground and foliage around it then out to the ocean or any other direction where such savages could have escaped. Surely they could not have disappeared into the ocean, but these are strange, confusing times. Perhaps her aptitude for the invisible waves of that strangeness could help her uncover a trail that could lead them to the ones who left this place as this.

Lystra creates Tracking Evil Asset:
Running From Or Toward Her Past    d4
(+1 PP)
Magical Aptitude    d8

Lystra rolled 4,5 using d4,d8 ((4,5)).

Total: 9; Effect: d4 (default)

Jean Esperon
 player, 62 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 03:15
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Varik Venrenson:
"Did any of the bad men use magic?" He asked the boy. Varik was a bit gruff, but he tried to soften his normally growl-like voice. He glanced back at the cliff, wondering if the kidnappers somehow took the women in the ocean.


Jean waits to see if the boy answers Varik's question, smiling comfortingly at the lad.
Watcher
 GM, 134 posts
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 03:27
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
"I... I don't know" the boy stammers out at the question about magic. "They came from the sea in boats. There were big crashes, then the guards started running around. Then they broke through the walls and the bad men ran through the house taking everything and everyone...." At this he breaks down crying again, obviously upset at remembering the ordeal.
Jean Esperon
 player, 63 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 03:30
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean sits with the lad, rubbing his shoulder. He whispers and a wave of soothing-ness comes off of him. It's as if Jean's whispered words are a shared emotion, bringing calm and comfort in a rather surreal way.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 56 posts
 PP: 7, XP: 11
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Wed 11 Jan 2017
at 15:55
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Varik nodded at the boy. "That will do, pup. Thank you." He looked at the cliff. "How did they make the stairwell out of the cliff? It had to be magic." He growled.

"Boats make the tracking issue very difficult. I can only hope some of the sea life around the shore remember what happens. But if I can't find any Dolphins it might be much harder." He points out, and prepares to fly down the side of the cliff in bird form. Not leaving just yet in case anyone wants him to do something else.
Daedur Talond
 player, 30 posts
 Stress: P-d10 E-0 M-0
 Trauma: P-0 E-0 M-0
Thu 12 Jan 2017
at 18:06
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Silently Daedur looked on as the Varik and Jean spoke to the boy. He wasn't much for emotional support, but perhaps he could help in finding those who caused the wreckage. As the boy was already in tears, he didn't think that more interrogation was a good idea, but if they could find out more about the boats they might be able to discern something about the place from which the attackers had come. Perhaps they had been pirates, or perhaps they had come from an aggressive neighbor with a grudge against the Dame. If they knew more information about the boats themselves they might be able to determine if they had come from close by or if they had to travel some distance to get to the manor.

Rather than ask the boy outright, as the lad was in tears, Daedur voiced his question to the air, or whoever was paying attention to him. "The kind of boat they traveled in could give us some answers." He cleared his throat awkwardly. "If the water by the coast is shallow, then they wouldn't be able to bring a large ship in close. They would have had to swim ashore or come in smaller boats. If the boat they came in is not suited for travel in open waters, then they likely came from nearby, or at least they would have had to follow the coastline wherever they went. If that were the case, then they couldn't have escaped in any direction they chose." Daedur looked down. "The fact that they came by sea makes things harder, but does not necessarily mean we have nowhere to start."
Watcher
 GM, 135 posts
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 02:47
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
The boy allows Jean to soothe him and slowly calms down. He ends up falling asleep, exhausted from the events of the prior day. As Jean is laying him down in a more comfortable position Man of Iron notices a strange splash of color in the wreckage. Something bright and blue stands out amidst the brown, black, and grey of the wreckage.

Meira corrects Varik. "No, the stairs have been there for quite some time. I think whoever originally built the manor had them carved into the stone to provide a way to the beach."

[Private to Kilain Gravendak: Still with us? Kilain can confirm the stone steps were carved with pick, hammer, and chisel and they look decades if not centuries old]
Jean Esperon
 player, 65 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 02:57
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean stands and goes to Varik and Daedur. "So, what's the plan? Any way a bit of magic could help?"
Varik Venrenson
 player, 57 posts
 PP: 6, XP: 11
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Fri 13 Jan 2017
at 15:48
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
In reply to Watcher (msg # 25):

Varick frowns at this news. "Hells. You need to seal those off." He said when the lady told him about the stone stairwell. "I am heading down into the ocean. I need to try and start tracking them however I can...look for my sea form."


Varick assumes the form of a gull, and takes wing-diving down towards the ocean. Only to change into a Dolphin before he hits the water.

OOC: Asking around via the sea life...

10:43, Today: Varik Venrenson rolled 1,8,8,4 using d8,2d8,d10,d10 with rolls of 1,2,6,8,4.  Asking around ocean for boat info.

Chosen by nature-d8
Senses-2d8
SFX-Wildhunt
Shapeshift-d10
Nature-d10

Spending PP to add to roll. Bio reflects PP total=6.

Total=16, Effect die=d10

Daedur Talond
 player, 31 posts
 Stress: P-d10 E-0 M-0
 Trauma: P-0 E-0 M-0
Sat 14 Jan 2017
at 02:24
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Daedur stood with his hand on his chin, acknowledging Varik's departure with nothing more than an absent-minded grunt. If Varik couldn't find anything, he wasn't sure where to start. "Is there anyway you could use your magic to track them?" Daedur asked Jean. "I don't know how that would work, but I'm can't really think of anything. If we could just find something that could give us some indication of who these attackers were, or where they come from, or their incentive in attacking..." Daedur sighed. "They took the Dame. They might intend to hold her for ransom, but who would they expect to pay it when they've kidnapped almost everyone? Were they just ordinary pirates attacking at random or was there some other motivation?" Daedur growled and kicked at a stone angrily. He felt like he wasn't getting anywhere different and he didn't know where to go with what they knew already.
Jean Esperon
 player, 66 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Sat 14 Jan 2017
at 03:31
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean thinks about it a moment and nods. "I need something that the raiders touched--a boot, a dropped weapon, a dead body. Quick, find something."

He also surveys the area, trying to find something dropped or some remnant of the attackers. He has an idea...
Watcher
 GM, 136 posts
Sat 14 Jan 2017
at 04:26
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Varik swims around in the ocean a bit, communicating with some of the more permanent life there attached to corals and rocks. It is tricky going - these organisms don't understand concepts like boats or even really time. However, Varik is fairly certain he pieces enough together to confirm a boat came from the south, anchored here a few hours, then headed south again.

While Jean is looking over the wreckage, he notices the same flash of blue and orange that Man of Iron did. A closer look reveals it to be a crude if colorful tattoo of a fish on a well-muscled, but now also burnt forearm. The rest of the body seems to be trapped under smoldering timbers and stones from the manor house.


Jean Esperon
 player, 67 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Sat 14 Jan 2017
at 13:32
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean waves the others (who are still on dry land) over. "Now, look what we have here. This look familiar to anyone?"

He steps back to see if any of his colleagues recognize it.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 58 posts
 PP: 6, XP: 11
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Sun 15 Jan 2017
at 17:02
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
A wet bird landed amidst the group, only to reform into a wet Varik. He shook himself dry, much like a dog does, and growls in irritation. "South-they where headed south. We may want to hurry..." He pointed out. He glanced at the limb everyone was staring at, and looked at them in confusion.

[Private to GM: OOC: •1 XP -when you act in a way opposite of the shape you are in. Animal
like in humanoid form, human like when a beast?
]
Daedur Talond
 player, 32 posts
 Stress: P-d10 E-0 M-0
 Trauma: P-0 E-0 M-0
Sun 15 Jan 2017
at 18:14
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Daedur looked at the forearm. "Do you think this comes from one of the invaders, or did it belong to someone who lived at the Manor? If this is one of the raiders, perhaps you can use this to track them, Jean." Glancing back to Meira, Daedur clears his throat and calls to her. "Meira, do you know of anyone at the Manor who might have had a tattoo of a fish on their arm?"

When Varik shows back up, Daedur finds himself relieved. "South?" he repeats. "Now we're finally getting somewhere. We should be able to follow them on the coast until we catch up to them, unless we can find a faster way, but right now we aren't exactly equipped for sea travel." Daedur pauses for a moment. "We won't necessarily be able to determine when we've caught up to them unless we actually know who it is we're tracking, but if you are able to divulge that with your magic, Jean, then we might be able to pull this off."



//Going off of the game map and location of Safeton to make the assumption that we can follow them along the coast since it goes almost completely south from Safeton.
Jean Esperon
 player, 68 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Sun 15 Jan 2017
at 21:12
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean stops and extends his hands. He pictures the tattoo in his mind and tries to feel for bearers who yet live. Energy rises from his hand like steam and drifts from them, flying south in a trail. The trail begins to pulse, chunks of light floating in the sky.

"I think that's the way," he says simply.

Okay, that's pretty good. Total roll of 13, effect die d8.

16:08, Today: Jean Esperon rolled 8,2,5 using 1d8,1d8,1d8 with rolls of 8,2,5.  Finding the foes..

…Somehow Magical d8
Magical Aptitude d8
Sorcery d8

Watcher
 GM, 137 posts
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 02:32
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor

[Private to Varik Venrenson: Yup, go ahead and take that XP]

Meira comes over and looks at the tattoo. "No. I don't believe anyone in the Dame's employ had a tattoo like that." She pokes at the wreckage. "It looks like the body is still intact under all this. Maybe if we moved it, we could find more clues."

Jean tries to cast a tracking spell using the tattoo as an anchor, but like a fishing line that fails to catch a nibble, his spell is unable to hook onto anything at the other end. Not really understanding his own magic, Jean really doesn't know why it wouldn't work.



Daedur - yes, it sounds like you are reading the map correctly.


------------ REACTION TO JEAN         ------------------------------------
Doom vs. 13/d8

20:26, Today: Watcher rolled 11,10 using 2d6,3d8 with rolls of 6,5,8,1,1.  resist Jean's tracking spell.

=14/d6/2opps

Jean fails

Status thread: link to a message in this game
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varik Venrenson
 player, 59 posts
 PP: 6, XP: 12
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 03:57
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
In reply to Watcher (msg # 35):

Varik had gotten several scents already, and once the boy was distracted he took several deep sniff of the arm. "Once they reach land, I might be able to get a trail. " He says.
Jean Esperon
 player, 69 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Mon 16 Jan 2017
at 11:58
Re: Episode 01, Scene 04: Dame Gold's Manor
Jean's shoulders slump. "Well, that didn't work. This time. Come on, let's head out--Varik's tracking is our best hope right now."