Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona.   Posted by Watcher.Group: archive 0
Watcher
 GM, 207 posts
Fri 14 Apr 2017
at 02:04
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona


The group on shore, having captured Agnar and Targil, send messages back and forth to Varik on the slave ship as they continue to head south. By all signs, the ship is going to dock in the bay offshore of the ruins of Cantona. Cantona was once a small but thriving shipping port but it was sacked by marauding monsters from the Welkwood and was never recovered. It now lies in ruins, providing shelter for who knows what vagabonds and monstrous humanoids.

The pirate ship anchors a ways off shore, carefully avoiding the graveyard of sunken ships clearly visible in the shallow bay. They make ready to send a landing party on a couple of row boats.

The pirate ship will be anchoring in the bay and sending a landing party into the ruins. You have an opportunity to interrogate Agnar and Targil on your way. Before any real action starts, we'll introduce Varth and I have another player working on a concept as well.

[Private to Varik Venrenson; Varth: I think the easiest way to introduce Varth without all the silly mistrust is if he's an old friend of Varik's. Varik could have hedged his bets and sent a message to Varth as well as the rest of the group that the slave ship was anchoring at Cantona. Then Varik could also send a message to Varth and the group about each other and give them some kind of secret handshake or something so they know they can trust each other. Maybe Varth makes his home in the ruins somewhere in Cantona and once Varik realized that was the destination, he sent the message to Varth.]
Varik Venrenson
 player, 79 posts
 PP: 7, XP: 12
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Mon 17 Apr 2017
at 00:44
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Varik sends another seagull to the group, telling them where the slaver ship was anchored at Cantona and they would be making contact with their forces tonight. If Varick's friends did not move soon, the slave would be taken to whatever hidden headquarters the criminals had ready.

He also told them he sent out a second bird to someone else that could help. Someone named Varth-who Varick described in his letter. The second bird would carry the party's description to Varth himself, and told him to give full assitance to the group in this matter.

Whatever was done-the attack would have to come soon. The slavers where already prepared to vanish forever, with all their victims with them.
Watcher
 GM, 212 posts
Wed 26 Apr 2017
at 02:35
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Before Jean sets up his interrogation, the halfling explains to the group that the Slave Lords have his family and threatened to kill them if he didn't cooperate with Agnar and Targil to waylay travelers. They told him that they would check on him at random intervals with scrying magic and if they would torture or kill his family if they caught him disobeying. He remains quite anxious and agitated.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:01, Fri 28 Apr 2017.

Jean Esperon
 player, 126 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 0
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Sat 29 Apr 2017
at 11:23
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Upon hearing this, Jean's face becomes a scowl. "Well, now, that creates a situation, doesn't it. Would that you had told me that before."

He nods to the halfling. "All right, here's what we're going to do. We're going to see if we can't deceive their scrying. Give me a personal item--something from your clothes, a bit of your shoe, something you won't miss."

He then works out a plausible alternative story with the halfling--how Agnar and Targil are still walking with the party freely and how the halfling is helping them take the party right into the slavers' trap.

"Rehearse the story in your head. Think about it over and over again." He spends a good twenty minutes helping the halfling get the story, the images down in his head.

Jean then takes the item--a stray button from the halfling's vest--and, holding one hand on the halfling's head, starts concentrating, reaching out into the fields around them, creating a fairly convincing illusion for anyone who tries to scry on the party...

Using a bit of sorcery to fool the scrying long enough. Taking few chances--spend a Plot Point to add an extra die from the roll for a total of 18/d8.

Smooth, Skilled and Somehow Magical d8
Magical Aptitude d8
Sorcery d8
Skulduggery Master d10

07:18, Today: Jean Esperon rolled 6,8,1,4 using d8,d8,d8,d10 with rolls of 6,8,1,4.  Deceiving the scrying.

Lystra
 player, 29 posts
 XP: 1 PP: 4
 No stress or trauma
Mon 1 May 2017
at 08:33
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Lystra strands with her bow at the ready, providing cover in case the prisoner attempts to flee. But the majority of her attention is taken by the magic in front of her, as she tries to capture it all with her wide-eyed gaze. "Από τον θεό," she mutters quietly.
Watcher
 GM, 215 posts
Tue 2 May 2017
at 01:36
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
The halfling goes along with Jean's plan. He seems a little skeptical at first, but he doesn't argue. He really doesn't have any better alternatives and he's obviously grateful that strangers would be so willing to help him.

He needs the full twenty minutes of coaching to get it right, but finally, Jean is satisfied that he has it. With a bit of purple sparkle, the images of Agnar and Targil flicker into visibility about five feet from the Bornthien. They mostly mirror his movements, always seeming to stay about five feet away. Someone observing for an extended period could probably detect something amiss, but the illusions are good enough to satisfy a quick scan.
Lystra
 player, 30 posts
 XP: 1 PP: 4
 No stress or trauma
Tue 2 May 2017
at 22:29
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Lystra snaps out of her reverie, most of her attention now going to their surroundings, knowing their prisoner is not likely to get away. Surely nothing will escape the ranger's notice.
Jean Esperon
 player, 128 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 0
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Wed 3 May 2017
at 14:18
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Jean smirks and walks along. "All right, friends, what's the plan for our attack on the slaver's stronghold? Good halfling, what can you tell us of their base?"

He keeps the party moving as they talk...

This message was last edited by the player at 14:18, Wed 03 May 2017.

Calelon Lutphen
 player, 4 posts
Wed 3 May 2017
at 18:43
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
The smell of small fire can just be sniffed out.
It is coming from an area up head and little of the path.
Watcher
 GM, 217 posts
Thu 4 May 2017
at 01:43
Episode 01, Scene 06: Entering Cantona
Bornthein shrugs at Jean's question. "Honestly, I don't really know. Agnar and Torgil and I patrol the roads between Safeton and Elredd. We befriend travelers and mostly just pump them for information. Periodically, we'd meet with a particular elf from Safeton and a dwarf from Elredd to pass on whatever we learned. Targil would always meet with the elf while Agnar kept me out of earshot and vice versa with the dwarf." He shoots a look at Jean's illusions as he reports this, still not used to them. "The few times we led anyone into an ambush, it was closer to Elredd." he adds.

The party sees a wisp of smoke and smells a campfire a half mile or so up the trail. The real Agnar and Targil start to stir and squirm a little in MOI's arms.

What do you do?