Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton.   Posted by Watcher.Group: 0
Calelon Lutphen
 player, 42 posts
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 17:32
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Calelon takes a long time to think about Jean request.  At first he does not understand.
Then he connects things together.

Like faeries.  They like to tell stores and pretend they true.
They like say they did something and did not.  Or you ask them if they did something and they say they did not.  They think it funny and clever.

Does anybody have neckless with strong chain I could have.


OOC:
d8 Protector of Freedom and Life.  We need true to protect others from lie.
d8 Magical Aptitude.
d8 Sorcery.
d6 Blessing when making / creating a divine asset + step up dice.
d8 Spell craft: Mystic


18:30, Today: Calelon Lutphen rolled 19,6 using 4d8,1d6 with rolls of 6,4,2,7,6.  Create Neckless of truth.

rolls of 6,[4],2,7,6.
Result is 13 with dice of d10 (after adjustments)

Watcher
 GM, 314 posts
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 18:43
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
The group escorts Dame Gold back to her residence. While it is not anywhere near as large as her coastal manor was, it is far from a hovel. The three story townhouse is in the better part of town (up a hill and set back from the docks). The upper level is the Dame's private residences while the servants' residences are in the middle level and the ground floor has parlors and dining rooms for receiving guests. There is, of course, a well-stocked storage cellar as well. Servants have gone ahead and started to prepare the house for the Dame's arrival. They have not quite fully finished when you arrive.

The Dame sets you up on a parlor on the first floor and excuses herself to prepare the house for more guests than it typically does. This leaves you alone for several hours before the butler calls you to dinner. While you wait, Reynarde flips through the logbook for clues. Jean and Calelon conspire to create a truth detecting necklace. After an hour or so of effort, Calelon thinks he has it.

I need to check my book at home for specifics on the clues from the logbook. Calelon's roll succeeded. I figure it might be fun to test it out. I remember that scene from Shrek 2 where Pinoccio is hanging from his strings and says he's wearing women's underwear. :-)

Jean Esperon
 player, 206 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 21:39
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean holds up Calelon's work, admiring it. "It's very nicely done, Calelon. This will come in handy on the morrow. Well, more work to do."

Without further ado, Jean slips out and starts talking with the servants here and there to learn everything he can about the area, particularly anyone who is in the know about local goings-ons and the like. Sadly, this set of servants is not the most horribly knowledgeable...

Trying to create an Asset called Safeton Rumors & Secrets by talking with the servants. That went...poorly. At least I may get some PP out of it. Rolled a 6/d8 with 2 opportunities.

17:38, Today: Jean Esperon rolled 1,3,1,3 using d8,d8,d8,d10 with rolls of 1,3,1,3.  Safeton Rumors & Secrets.

Words Can Melt Walls d8
Eloquence of Humanity d8
Enhanced Senses (listening and watching reactions) d8
Master with Words d10

Lystra
 player, 47 posts
 XP: 1 PP: 5
 No stress or trauma
Thu 10 Aug 2017
at 08:20
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Lystra wanders the grounds, generally staying outside if the rest of the group has no immediate need of her. She keeps an eye on the forest around the manor, alert for danger if not for a place to spend the night. She stays particularly sensitive to any magic that may lay in the keep, inside or outside, especially if any of it is coming from a natural source.

To create Grounds Surveillance Asset:
From A Primitive Tribe    d4
(+1 PP)
Magical Aptitude/Versatile    2d6
Sorcery   d8

Lystra rolled 2,4,1,1 using d4,d6,d6,d8 ((2,4,1,1)).

Total: 6; Effect: d4 (default)

2 Opportunities

Net change of +1 PP
Starting with 4 PPs (from previous scene, unless the count is reset) +1 (or +3, depending on Watcher buying the Opportunity) = 5 or 7 PPs

Watcher
 GM, 315 posts
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 02:20
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean finds this group of servants to be fairly ignorant. They tend to keep to themselves in the Dame's residence, and certainly stay away from the more surly parts of town where they would be more likely to have heard something useful.

The residence is within town, inside the town walls, so there is not much forest to be scanned by Lystra. The cosmopolitan hustle and bustle is enough to throw off her more naturally attuned senses, and she is unable to get a good bead or even find a decent lookout spot in the residence's yards.

Reynarde's inspection of the book reveals that the ship would troll the northern reaches of Wild Coast. Generally, it make call in the town of Elredd, but every so often, it would go further South by a couple of days to the town of Highport.

Elredd's reputation as a wretched hive of scum and villainy is well known. Highport's reputation is even worse. The town was once a prosperous trading hub, but it fell to an army of orcs and other monstrous humanoids a generation ago. The orc chieftain was a savvy one, though, and he had the town partially rebuilt and invited men to return. Only the worst of the worst took him up on it and moved back in to exploit the town's strategic location as a gate to the northern reaches of the Wild Coast.
Jean Esperon
 player, 208 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 12:40
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean enjoys the Dame's hospitality that evening, engaging the Dame in conversation and building on the party's confidence with her. He even pulls a couple of the servants aside and sings drinking songs with them after the Dame retires. First thing in the morning, though, he is all business. He finds Calelon and goes to interrogate prisoners.

With the sailors on the ship, he is a grim force, gruffly cajoling them into telling him their contacts in Elredd and Highport and where their "cargo" eventually was to be sent to. With Agnar and Targil he takes a more conspiratorial tone, insinuating that this information might make Jean more inclined to help them.

Jean has a bit of an attitude through this--it is doubtful that the sailors, at least, and possibly the slavers will remember him fondly, but he gets information from them....

Interrogating the prisoners. Want to create an Asset called "Location of Slaver Contacts" or even "Location of the Slaver Base," whichever the GM finds appropriate. Taking a gamble and using a Trouble to give myself a PP and saving Calelon's asset for later. And the gamble worked--I got a 16/d8 out of it!!

08:38, Today: Jean Esperon rolled 2,6,6,10 using d4,d8,d8,d10 with rolls of 2,6,6,10.  Interrogation for Location of Slaver Contact!

Words can Melt walls...or Build Them d4
Eloquence d8
Heightened Senses d8
Master with Words d10

Lystra
 player, 48 posts
 XP: 1 PP: 5
 No stress or trauma
Sun 13 Aug 2017
at 22:36
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Lystra longs for the forest.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 120 posts
 PP: 1, XP: 1
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 14:43
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
In reply to Jean Esperon (msg # 17):

Once Jean shares his knowledge of what he found, Varik could once again call upon his bird form to locate the place in question. From there, spying upon those locations, he could bring back any knowledge that indeed the slavers in question where there...

(OOC-Planning to aid Jean's asset once its determined how well he does.)
Watcher
 GM, 317 posts
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 19:33
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean heads to the local gaol the next day. The guards are reluctant at first to give him access to the slaver crewmen, but Jean can be very convincing. He manages to talk the guards into taking a lunch at a very expensive restaurant, his treat. Whether they actually went there or spent the money on something else doesn't really matter...

After roughing up the crew a little, Jean learns that their contacts in Port Elredd always took place in a seedy bar called the Broken Rudder. The crew's story about where the ship sailed generally agree with the log books. Mostly they trolled the northern parts of the Wild Coast, only going as far south as Highport on rare occasion. "Cargo" transfers tended to happen at sea, rather than in port, at night, and usually with a black-hulled boat known as the Wraith. They tell all sorts of horrible and conflicting tales of the monstrous captain and crew of the Wraith. Clearly these men are afraid of that crew. Metaphorically, they are certainly monsters. Whether they are in reality or not is not possible to discern from the many different accounts.


Not sure it rises to the level of being an actual asset, but in case it does, I'll give you LOCATION OF SLAVER CONTACTS at d10

Reaction roll: 14:22, Today: Watcher rolled 11 using 4d6 with rolls of 4,1,5,1.  vs. jean interrogation. 9/d4/2opps

Calelon Lutphen
 player, 44 posts
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 20:09
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Calelon is very quite and spend time alone letting Jean get on with his work.
Calelon tries to find book or two to look at.
He misses his tower and his books.
Varik Venrenson
 player, 121 posts
 PP: 2, XP: 1
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Mon 14 Aug 2017
at 21:15
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
In reply to Watcher (msg # 20):

Once Varik knows of Jean's efforts, he will use this information to track down the contact and make sure the group can contact him. Mostly without fear of ambush or possible trap. Of course, he does get distracted by the other delicious seeming prey animals about for the picking...

(OOC:

17:10, Today: Varik Venrenson rolled 4,10,6,6 using 1d4,2d10,d10,d10 with rolls of 4,5,5,6,6.  Increasing Jean's slaver location effort to try to get to d12+.

Losing mind to the beast(1d4, +1 PP)
Senses-2d10
SFX-Wildhunt senses-doubles senses dice, adds 3 dice for total, loses highest rolling die.
Shapechange-d10
Nature-d10

Total PP=2.

Total=16, Effect die-d10.)

Watcher
 GM, 320 posts
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 01:09
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
In reply to Varik Venrenson (msg # 22):

The Wild Coast is a pretty large area. It would take days to thoroughly search it for a specific boat, even as a bird with incredible vision. If you want to do that, cool, but you probably want to talk it over with the group before you disappear for a few days.
Jean Esperon
 player, 211 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Thu 17 Aug 2017
at 01:43
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean is very supportive of Varik doing so--the druid would, no doubt, be able to cover much more territory than the party. "In fact, Varik, when you find it, take something from it so Calelon can use it to scry on the ship. We can then plan a little party for them..."
Varik Venrenson
 player, 122 posts
 PP: 2, XP: 1
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Sat 19 Aug 2017
at 22:06
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
In reply to Jean Esperon (msg # 24):

"Very well. I will send back a bird with a message on it to inform you of location and my progress if I must." Varick says. Then he heads for outdoors and prepares to take flight.
Watcher
 GM, 322 posts
Sat 19 Aug 2017
at 22:31
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Varik transforms into a bird and flies out over the Wooly Sea. The rest of the group watches him fade out of sight, then turns and heads back inside, unsure what to do with themselves while they wait for Varik to return or send word.

The group doesn't really think much about it the first couple of days. The Wooly Sea is big, and Varik is but one bird. For his part, Varik is motivated and flies for hours a day gliding on winds and updrafts as much as possible to conserve his energy. He begins with a sweep of the northern reaches of the sea near Safeton, then works his way south.

They days stretch on and the group in Safeton starts to wonder. Varik continues further south. When he scrutinizes the vicinity of Elredd most carefully, but still hasn't found a sign of the black-hulled Wraith. He continues further south.

After a week, the group in Safeton starts to think about a backup plan. What if Varik never returns? Varik continues further south, towards Highport. There is quite a bit of boat traffic in and around Highport and it is not until he enters the bay itself that he finally finds the quarry he has been seeking. The black hulled Wraith is moored at a dock in Highport. There are a few guards, but minimal activity on the deck.


Varik succeeded. Varik, how are you going to send word back? The group in Safeton can post some stuff about what they're doing for the week it takes Varik to find the Wraith. It will only take a couple of days to get a message back to Safeton because it's a straight shot rather than a search pattern.

Jean Esperon
 player, 213 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Sat 19 Aug 2017
at 22:42
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean pulls the others together....

This message was last edited by the player at 14:06, Thu 24 Aug 2017.

Calelon Lutphen
 player, 45 posts
Sat 19 Aug 2017
at 22:50
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Calelon is clearly not at easy with the house and number of people.
The elf tries to find any book he can and quite place to read.

He does however get up very early in morning.
He heads straight for servant area and kitchen.
Most likely to confusion on fear of servant he starts inspecting them.
The elf uses his present more than words to do what he doing.

However very quickly it become clear that he looking at health of servants.
If he comes across something he feels his healing skills can help with he does his best.
Using both natural and magic skills to heal and make effect of hard work less.
Then just before he leave he fills a number of containers with clear cool water.
Then without a word he leaves.

Then he returns in even to do the same thing.


On the third day he spots Lystra.  He moves to talk to her.  Then thinks better of it and turns only hit his head on low door.
Ahh he says.  Hand on his head he feels very stupid.

OOC: Subject to GM happy with few liberties also interested in how household reacts to this very strange elf....

This message was last edited by the player at 22:54, Sat 19 Aug 2017.

Varik Venrenson
 player, 123 posts
 PP: 2, XP: 1
 Stress-P: 0, E: 0, M: 0
Sat 19 Aug 2017
at 23:33
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
In reply to Watcher (msg # 26):

Ooc-Varick will grab a chunk of the Wraith's mast as a bird. Then he will enchant another bird to deliver the bit of wood and a note to the party. Asking what they want him to do next. He will spy on the boat in the meantime and try to get an idea who is there and how many forces they have. Possible finding important people and overhearing their conversation.
Watcher
 GM, 323 posts
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 01:02
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
The maids and butlers of the house are all in generally good health and good spirits. They treat Calelon with cautious courtesy. They try not to get in his way and leave him to his strange habits. Calelon finds a boil here and a scrape there that the servants gratefully let him tend to, but nothing major or unusual for what one would encounter in a household staff.

After about tend days, a bird finally arrives in the yard of the Dame's manor. By now, she has made more permanent arrangements for most of her people and tent city that had been set up in the yard is mostly cleared out. The bird has a bit of canvas and a note tied around its leg, courtesy of Varik. The Wraith is docked in Highport!

Varik is easily able to spy on the general comings and goings of the ship. It is undergoing a somewhat lazy resupply here in town. There is a skeleton crew on the ship at all times, which rotates out on a regular basis. Each morning, a cart or two full of provisions parks on the docks near the ship and a group of deckhands bucket-brigades the supplies into the ship's stores. These are regular food and mundane supplies that a ship like this would stock up on for an extended trip.
Lystra
 player, 51 posts
 XP: 1 PP: 5
 No stress or trauma
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 06:37
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Upon hearing her name, Lystra is attendant, ready for any direction from the group. She keeps her mouth shut but nods vehemently, especially when there is emotion in Jean's voice or her name is said aloud.

In the time that she is not around the group, she wanders the grounds of the estate, looking into the sky and at nature, the forest calling to her, or she calling silently to the forest.
Jean Esperon
 player, 216 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 14:08
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean sits dow with Lystra and Calelon. "Well, friends, I have suggested that Reynarde secure us passage to Highport where we can meet up with Varik. While we wait for that passage, we must plan. Highport is not a very safe place. What can we do to move about the city safely and without attracting a lot of attention while we track down the slavers?"

He looks at Lystra and Calelon, eagerly looking for his quiet companions' counsel.
Lystra
 player, 52 posts
 XP: 1 PP: 5
 No stress or trauma
Fri 25 Aug 2017
at 20:52
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Lystra's brow furrows in concentration on Jean's words. She leans in, taking in each sound. "Eye... perth," she responds, then repeats, more softly, to herself. "Eye... perth,"

1 XP when you... absolutely fail in trying to communicate with [a teammate]
Jean Esperon
 player, 217 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 1
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Fri 25 Aug 2017
at 21:33
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean leans back, scratches his head, and thinks about it. "Ah, um. Let me think about that. Calelon, what say you?"
Calelon Lutphen
 player, 46 posts
Sat 26 Aug 2017
at 20:12
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Calelon is very quite for a while.
His finger traces a few things on the table.  He looking at it.
This is not really my... words.  Ah.

He says something in elvish.  Repeats it again.  Using slightly different words.

I think I have got it.
Let us go on quest for a missing book.  One that rare.  Has some magic to it.
It could been stolen.  One of us plays owner.
The others are friends or paid to help find it.

A smile covers Calelon face.  One that shows he been thinking hard about this.
That way we will be notice but for real reason we there.
Other will try to con us.  Get money out of us or led us into trap.
But we will know this as book is not real.
We can then use them to find out what we need.
The slavers will over look us.  Just stupid people.


Calelon looks at Jean.
It comes from two or three book I read.  They human story books.
I thought them silly at time.   "friction"(1).  Is that what they called.


The elf feels he must somehow explain himself to Jean.

OOC:
Some time I do spell things wrong but (1).  That is Calelon getting wrong word.
I thought it be funny...

This message was last edited by the player at 20:14, Sat 26 Aug 2017.

Jean Esperon
 player, 219 posts
 Stress: P0 M0 E0 PP: 2
 Trauma: P0 M0 E0
Mon 28 Aug 2017
at 23:43
Episode 02, Scene 01: Back to Safeton
Jean’s face breaks into a big smile. ”Calelon, that is absolutely brilliant. I couldn’t have done better. I am the logical person to spin that tale, of course—always the actor, I am. Very good.

“From the minute we hit the ship, you will be Professor Calelon, collector of rare and ancient books. I will be your associate, Jeeves. Lyiel, you can be…Lyiel. Unless you’d prefer a different name. Let’s see…”

This message was last edited by the player at 18:28, Tue 29 Aug 2017.