Chpt 0 - Tayce.   Posted by The Mist.Group: archive 1
The Mist
 GM, 21 posts
Sat 9 Apr 2016
at 18:01
Chpt 0 - Tayce
mood music

You've been working on and off at the docks since you landed in Daggerford. It was a place of many people and few questions. Today the Nightcloaks, the local thieves guild, have you a scheme to monitor things coming into and out of port and finding the best scores for a group of bandits who work farther along the river to hit. The guild takes 40% of the value of whatever is taken the bandits keep 60% as they're doing the heavy lifting.

The snow flurries started to come down just after midday and have continued since. Local guards are patrolling and lighting the lamps as it is getting towards dusk. With a list of potential ships, cargo, and destinations scribbled into a ledger you keep squirreled away you're due to give to a tiefling girl named Leliar who works the bar at the Lucky Lady Tavern. The two of you have had dealings from time to time since you came to town. She plays a mean game of cards and her dice luck is second to none ... you feel she's more than a lowly tavern girl.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:33, Sat 09 Apr 2016.

Tayce Bloodyblades
 player, 3 posts
 Human Warlock--Fey, Blade
 AC, HP, PP
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 02:42
Chpt 0 - Tayce
Tayce pulled his red coat tighter as he was hit by an icy gust of wind from the docks. Cold wasn't new to him--he'd spent most of his life in the sunless depths of Skullport, the pirate enclave hidden in a sea cave in Undermountain. Magical portals brought in ships and fresh air...but precious little sunlight, so Skullport was always cold.

Cold, he was used to. Snow, on the other hand...that, Tayce didn't care for at all. He cursed the fates that had forced him to leave Waterdeep, had made even the pirate enclave turn him out, for the seventh time that hour then made the last few marks in his ledger.

Running errands. That was what he'd been reduced to. He understood the game, certainly--start at the bottom, then work your way up the chain to more lucrative jobs--but still he seethed. He had magic at his fingertips, the gifts of a god most thought dead, yet it counted for nothing to the Nightcloaks.

He tucked the ledger into his longcoat's deep pockets, then hurried away from the docks and the snow. Towards light. Towards the tavern. Toward his contact, the only line he had to moving up the ranks and out of the bottom of the pile.

He entered the Lucky Lady, a burst of wind ruffling his red coat and his white hair, and looked about for Leliar.
Leliar
 NPC, 1 post
 Tiefling
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 14:58
Chpt 0 - Tayce
Mood Music
The Lucky Lady Tavern is a two-story former warehouse for a trading concern caters to soldiers and adventurers.

The entire northeast wall of the taproom is covered by a huge, splendid color map of Faerūn, from Calimshan to the Spine of the World and from the Moonshaes to Raurin. Both levels have been opened into a single, lofty room with balconies all around it at varying levels. Each balcony contains a booth for patrons and is linked to at least two other balconies by broad flights of stairs.

In the center of the taproom is a massive stone pillar bearing the weight of the ceiling that has a ladder of iron hooks up one side. The pillar is covered in battered shields, personal runes, and other adventuring mementos. The walls of the tavern are hung with weapons,armor, banners, spitted beast heads, and similar trophies of battle brought in by various patrons.

The most striking of these is the huge, mummified wing of a black dragon. It now hangs over the tap-room like a soft black canopy, suspended from the ceiling on eight chains.



The main room is humming as you'd expect on a cold snowy night like this. You see members of the Nightcloaks scattered through out the room - some are relaxing by playing cards or throwing dice, while others are obviously casing would be adventurers and sailors who've come in.

Leliar is difficult to miss as her stark white skin and vibrant purple dress make her stand out in the sea of browns, tans, and greens. She seems to enjoy the attention from the regulars and the sailors too. The tiefling goes from table to table dropping off food and drink as though she were walking on air. A slight pause and nod tell you to head towards a table near the fire.
Tayce Bloodyblades
 player, 6 posts
 Human Warlock--Fey, Blade
 AC 16, HP 18, PP 12
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 16:50
Chpt 0 - Tayce
Tayce gives the comely tiefling a nod and swaggers over to the seat. He saw that red-haired half-elf--the duke's daughter, wasn't she?--give him a once-over, and gave her a faint smile back. Then he slid into the seat at the table by the fire that least exposed his back to the rest of the room.
Leliar
 NPC, 3 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 14:21
Chpt 0 - Tayce
mood music

Whoever the half-elf is talking with seems to have her full attention. The fire is warm, helping shake the cold off and melting the bits of snow that managed to stay on your coat. A minute or so pass before Leliar comes by the table.

"Your usual Mr Tayce or perhaps something new?" she inquires. The call and response is simple enough - usual means you have nothing for her, new means you have information. You often add a note about value based on alchohol type - beer for poorer target and wine for wealthier marks.
Tayce Bloodyblades
 player, 7 posts
 Human Warlock--Fey, Blade
 AC 16, HP 18, PP 12
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 18:12
Chpt 0 - Tayce
"Now, now. No need to be so formal." Tayce said with a smile. "Just 'Tayce' is fine. Mr. Tayce sounds like my father."

He leaned back and considered. He'd spotted a ship that had some particularly ripe pickings, but also had hired on a commensurately large number of guards. He doubted a group of hard-scrabble forest-dwelling bushwhackers would be able to take them all. But that wasn't his problem. He'd noted the number of guards in the ledger. If they still wanted to be foolish and try to take it on, well, he'd done his job.

"Something new, I think. I'll have some wine. Something Thayan, perhaps." There. That was a moderately difficult sort of wine to acquire here on the Sword Coast, so hopefully that was enough of a hint at the difficulty. he could wash his hands of it now.

He slid the ledger out of his pocket. He'd leave it here "accidentally," as was customary when delivering something like this.
Leliar
 NPC, 4 posts
 Tiefling
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 18:48
Chpt 0 - Tayce
She returns a few minutes later with a wine glass and a plate of food. "We're all out of wine from Thayan, but here is a house made wife from Black Thayan figs and honey. The special is braised rabbit with winter vegetables, enjoy." She sets the meal before and slips back into the movement of the tavern.
Tayce Bloodyblades
 player, 8 posts
 Human Warlock--Fey, Blade
 AC 16, HP 18, PP 12
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 19:41
Chpt 0 - Tayce
Tayce nods, gives her an appreciative glance as a normal patron would...didn't want to look suspicious, now. Then he began taking his meal and listening to the singer. Every now and again he stole a glance at the Duke's daughter, though someone else seemed to have their eye on her as well...they sent over a bottle of wine. He stole a look to see if anyone else was watching her.

((OOC: Should I roll anything?))
The Mist
 GM, 30 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 19:45
Chpt 0 - Tayce
OOC: Sure roll Perception at disadvantage due to the crowded nature of the room - I'm amused your following their thread
Tayce Bloodyblades
 player, 9 posts
 Human Warlock--Fey, Blade
 AC 16, HP 18, PP 12
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 20:59
Chpt 0 - Tayce
((OOC: Well, we ARE in the same place, and I'm looking for ways to connect my PC to others.

13:59, Today: Tayce Bloodyblades rolled 20,14 using d20+2,d20+2.  Perception, Disadvantage. I see all the things!))

The Mist
 GM, 36 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 23:04
Chpt 0 - Tayce
PM
[Private to Tayce Bloodyblades: You see a shimmer near the half elf's table but it goes away after you blink.]
Tayce Bloodyblades
 player, 10 posts
 Human Warlock--Fey, Blade
 AC 16, HP 18, PP 12
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 13:00
Chpt 0 - Tayce
Tayce narrowed his eyes. That was off.  a faint shimmer, gone almost as soon as he spotted it. But he had definitely seen it. Invisibility, perhaps? He shifted his gaze downward, watching for disruptions in the air that might help him confirm his suspicions. A stray footfall out of place, motes of dust falling where they shouldn't, perhaps even a bootprint appearing out of nowhere.

Tayce always took noticed when there was a change in a room he couldn't explain. It was a paranoid habit that served him well in the past, and he suspected that if he'd been more observant in the bar that day, he might have noticed the signs pointing to the coming brawl and made his exit rather than getting swept up into it. A lot of grief could have been avoided.

What was this? A kidnapping? An assassination? Either was possible--a duke's daughter would be good ransom material or political pawn. Should he care? This didn't involve him. But he'd learned from bitter experience that things that didn't involve him could still affect him.

He began calling forth his Armor of Shadows, thickening the darkness around him. The magical armor was nearly invisible, but could turn an errant blade as well as any studded leather. He didn't need to call forth his weapons, not yet. No need to advertise trouble coming.

((OOC: Going to cast Mage Armor on myself. Should I make an Investigation check to see if I can glean more information about the situation?))
The Mist
 GM, 39 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2016
at 13:23
Chpt 0 - Tayce
OOC: Moving you to here : link to a message in this game

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:25, Wed 13 Apr 2016.