The Golden Goblin.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Kaliban
 Human Paladin, 6 posts
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 09:33
The Golden Goblin
Kaliban looks at the guard with open shock on his face, "I am a Paladin of Abadar, and I'll remind you that I came to you to report the incident. You're suggesting I'm either an idiot or a liar. Neither is particularly needed while we are being co-operative and friendly. Still, obviously your job requires some evidence. Bree-Anne, would you provide our ... fellow here, with the paperwork." Kaliban states before turning away with some anger still in his expression.
The Red Shadow
 Red Shadow, 1 post
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 10:07
The Golden Goblin
In the dead of night The Red Shadow slips between shadows a red mist flowing into the cracks of the walls.

Soon he comes to a door leading down. Never go into the dark alone.  He thought.

Taking his brothers last words to heart he cased the joint but pulled back.

"Later, later...."

The smoke floated out the rafters.
Narrator
 GM, 16 posts
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 11:53
The Golden Goblin
The guard squints over the papers where Bree-Anne taps and mumbles to himself as he obviously struggles to follow along the words.

"Uh..."

"Yeah... Everything seems to be in order then..."


He says rather unconvincingly

"But how did it go down? I need to fill in a report after all" He looks up at those assembled, waiting for a description of the events that unfolded this eve.



OOC: That's your queue to fill in your collective memories folks... how did it go down in this version of the multiverse?
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 1 post
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 12:02
The Golden Goblin
Creaking and moaning, Shadoman turns to the guards and starts picking at his fettered fangs.

"Ju be seein da only remainin' ownahs of dis here fine wataerin' hole. We be all da proof ya be needin'."
Bree-Anne
 Half-elf Bard, 6 posts
Wed 15 Jun 2016
at 23:08
The Golden Goblin
Bree-Anne suppresses a sigh as she closes off the documents before the officer's attention gets drawn to deeply into the dealings of the Goblin. "Look, it's been a long night, we've lost two of our own from more than a few attempts of Saul's on our lives."

Seeing that a sympathy ploy wasn't going to drive the man away she casts an icy look his way before continuing. "We were looking into some Goblin business when we were jumped by a crew of rat people, I think they may have been cursed but I wouldn't be the type to tell you for certain."

"We managed to find out who their employer was before they got away," a lie, but Bree-Anne's practiced lilt ran through it easily. "Saul. We took exception and came back to the goblin to sort matters out. We came wanting to talk." Another half truth, some in the party had very few words in mind for Saul and were more looking for their weapons to do the talking.

"We found Saul all hold up with more cronies here and negotiations went South."
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 3 posts
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 10:55
The Golden Goblin
Shadoman leans back on his heels, crossing his arms and taping his chin with an extended finger as if studying the guardsman. A soft clicking sound elicits as bone contacts with bone.

The corvid sitting ontop of the totem pole strapped to Shadoman's back tilts it's head to the side as it examines the guardsmen as well.

"Watch ju t'ink missus?"

The corvid's gaze lingers before it turns to face Netherwalker and cries out once:

"Craaaaa!"

OOC:
Shadoman tries to sense whether the motives of these men is what they claim it to be.

Hot damn! Natural 20!
12:54, Today: Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka rolled 27 using 1d20+7 ((20))

Malek Brighton
 Human Wizard, 1 post
 Shadow Wizard
 Not a Lizard
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 15:18
The Golden Goblin
Seeing that the others have all in hand with the guardsmen, Malek heads upstairs and enters what was previously Saul's room, smiling as he surveyed the mahogany and other dark wood furnishings.

"Hubert" he says commandingly into the air, clapping his hands twice.

"Hubert, please change the sheets in this room and bring all of my belongings from my room."

and immediately, as though an invisible servant were present, the sheets in the room were stripped off the comfortable looking bed as Malek settled himself in a comfortable looking wing chair.
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 4 posts
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 15:53
The Golden Goblin
Missus slowly turns to follow Malek with her gaze while clicking noises still issue from Shadoman's face and finger.

The bird objects to Malek's seeming indifference "CAW!"

Softly Netherwalker murmers to the bird "shhh missus, now not da time. Soon gurl, soon we gonna palava real nice."
Jimmy
 Ratfolk Mafioso, 4 posts
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 16:30
The Golden Goblin
Scurrying from roof to roof Jimmy stealthy makes his way to a recent crime scene.

There's always profit ta be made from tragical 'apenstance, af'er all we're all a big happy family an't we? 

"Ah, grand the sitties are still quizin' the saps I'll give 'em some chewing time or we'll 'ave to give 'em brassies a waterbreavin' potion so 'ay can 'ave a real think about what 'ay done ta end up ad the bottem of the well", He smiled and found a comfy spot to sit.

And to sharpen his claws.
WinsRuth Bovington III
 Halfling Summoner, 3 posts
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 18:03
The Golden Goblin
Sitting and watching the events unfold paying them all no real heed

Thinking to himself this place has gotten far more loud, but nothing to do so make as well just finish my good book unless something interesting arrises


19:59, Today: WinsRuth Bovington III rolled 34 using 1d20+22.  Stealth check.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:06, Thu 16 June 2016.

Bree-Anne
 Half-elf Bard, 7 posts
Thu 16 Jun 2016
at 20:21
The Golden Goblin
Bree-Anne only catches the briefest of the happenings in Saul's old room in regards to Malek. That insuferable, entitled... Words were most certainly going to be had with the mage after the guards had left.

Bree-Anne meets Shadoman's gaze and gives a knowing nod before returning her attention to the guard.
Narrator
 GM, 21 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 00:24
Re: The Golden Goblin
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka:
OOC:
Shadoman tries to sense whether the motives of these men is what they claim it to be.

Hot damn! Natural 20!
12:54, Today: Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka rolled 27 using 1d20+7 ((20))


As far as you can tell, The guard sergeant obviously cares about the laws being upheld. You seem to have found one of the few "Good" Gendarmes in the city.

Sgt Coltman
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 00:24
Re: The Golden Goblin
Well... The man begins, seemingly swayed
I still feel like there's way too little detail here, but I guess that's all I'm going to get out of you lot huh...

He gestures to his men.
"Come on boys, seems like self defence..."

As he's about to turn for the door way he pauses and looks at everyone in the room
"Sergeant Coltman...." He adds "Remember my name, as make no mistake... I'm keeping my eye out for you lot... If I find you're doing something illegal in Riddleport..." He leaves the rest unsaid. Obvious threat implied on his frowning face.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:26, Fri 17 June 2016.

Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 5 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 05:51
Re: The Golden Goblin
Shadoman still stands clicking his finger to his face while in a 'thinking pose'. Missus tilts her head at the guardsman again and gives a quieter, but not softer, "Caw!".

It is indeed a few minutes that Shadoman seems lost in thought but eventually he turns around and heads up the stairs in the direction of Saul's old room. The stairs creak with each footfall.

Eventually Shadoman makes it into Saul's room and looks down at the seated Malek.
Bree-Anne
 Half-elf Bard, 8 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 07:13
Re: The Golden Goblin
Bree-Anne manages to keep her demeanor that of a helpful if annoyed resident until the Sergeant leaves, but drops into a more sour one after he has left. Illegal in Riddleport, I swear they get more hopeful every day she thinks to herself.

"Kaliban, mind organising an undertaker for the bodies before Shadoman gets too excited?" She asks of her companion. "And next time just do the Riddleport thing and organise for the bodies to be thrown into the wharf before going to the guards. It's more than Saul would have done for us had we been on the losing side here."

With that request done Bree-Anne decides it would probably be best to make sure Shadoman didn't read too much into her look and tried anything too violent on Malek. She stands up and makes her way halfway up the stairs so as to be in earshot range but not too close to be seen as interfering, just yet anyways.
Malek Brighton
 Human Wizard, 2 posts
 Shadow Wizard
 Not a Lizard
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 07:29
Re: The Golden Goblin
Malek casually looks up from the literature he was reading as Shadowman entered into the room before asking the him,

"So have you come to tell me that the local constabulary left already, or is there some other matter I could assist you with?"

A backpack is currently being dragged across the floor toward a chest at the foot of the bed.
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 6 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 13:01
Re: The Golden Goblin
Netherwalker looks around the room with a scowl on his face as his corvid flies off and perches on the the head rest.

"Ju got a lotta coconuts to jus up n take wat innit yos."

Shodomans scowl breaks into a wide grin, "ju better be wide awake wit dat attitude mista. But fo' now da shadowalka help ju not be snuck up on. Jus sit still while i ask da spirits ta help secure yo room".

The Netherwalker reaches into his sutured human skin bag and pulls out some ash before casting it into the air and blowing gently to all corners of the room. Shadoman's strange eye dims to an all consuming dark as he murmurs an incantation, casting a spell.


OOC: sorry John, this got sent to you personally instead of the general golden goblin thread
Malek Brighton
 Human Wizard, 3 posts
 Shadow Wizard
 Not a Lizard
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 13:37
Re: The Golden Goblin
Recognizing the magic being cast, Malek put the book down on a side table and simply addressed Shadoman

"I require space for magical research, and since you have taken up part of the basement for your own machinations, my needs dictated that I simply relocate to this larger accommodation rather than taking up a second room for myself."

and with a wave of his hand across the room he continues,

"And pray continue with your search for secret doors and compartments if that is what you deem necessary." and then picks up the book to continue reading.
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 7 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 14:34
Re: The Golden Goblin
The Netherwalker keeps grinning before bowing slightly and eliciting a whistle.

The overly large dark bird cries out in respond, "Caw!". It flutters its wings violently, preparing to launch. Simultaneously the corvid defecates, spilling its old contents over the pillow in a loud 'plop'.

Netherwalker turns away and starts slowly heading out the room. "Ju be real careful an lock yo'door at night now magic man. Deh be uddah nasties crawlin' around."

With that statement and a flurry of wings, Shadoman walks out the door and heads back downstairs straight to the corpses. Hurrying before the undertakers arrive, Shadoman drags the corpses of Saul and one of his mercenaries into its workshop.
Jimmy
 Ratfolk Mafioso, 5 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 15:34
Re: The Golden Goblin
Well well I guess no Well f'r 'em

Jimmy climbs done moving stealthily towards the door. As Jimmy reaches the door he straightens up pulls a comb out his fashionable leather jacket and combs his face and steps into the room.

"Well now lads looks like this 'er fine establishment as 'ad a change of mangaagment! I'm Jimmy Jimmy d'Pest yeah yeah those d'Pests. You see," he leans on a table,"us an' poor very dead Saul had 'n ag-ree-ment" o' sorts."

"I'm sure we can come ta 'n understanding. Maybe 'n overstanding seeing as ya 'as to bend a bit ta see me!, Jimmy D'pest!. 'ere take my card!" 

Kaliban
 Human Paladin, 7 posts
Fri 17 Jun 2016
at 15:54
Re: The Golden Goblin
Kaliban simply walks out, avoiding Jimmy and continuing on to finding the under takers he contacted earlier to remove the bodies, now that the Law had been in to have their admittedly quite inept say.

He nods to the rat-folk and moves out of the building as if someone walking in claiming a part of the business was just fully expected.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:50, Sat 18 June 2016.

Bree-Anne
 Half-elf Bard, 9 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 00:13
Re: The Golden Goblin
Bree-Anne leaves her spot from halfway up the stairs as it seemed the Tiefling wasn't going to murder Malek, for now. She walks across the entrance hall to the freshly arrived ratfolk. "Fortuitous that you'd find yourself here so soon after his demise," Bree-Anne quips as she takes the card. "I suppose a place like this does need a supplier though, but your timing is a bit off for making deals friend. We've lost two of our own and we're in no mood to be talking business tonight."

Bree-Anne stops herself from being more rude to the ratfolk and sighs placing her hands on her hips. "Look, we just need a bit of time to let things settle. That rough around the edges human that just walked by, Kaliban, handles most of our trade deals. I'll get you a drink and a space to talk when he gets back."

Bree-Anne walks to the closest bar and reaches behind for the first bottle she could find before bringing it back to a still standing table. "On the house," She says clinking it down. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a halfling to see off."

And with that she disappears into the back rooms, not bothering for a response from the rat folk.
Mistah Shadoman Netherwalka
 Tieflin Witchdokta, 8 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 11:42
Re: The Golden Goblin
Odd noises cab be heard from the voodoo witches workroom.

After almost (but not quite) an hour, he emerges with a small bloddy sack in one hand. He slips quietly into Saul's office and chanting starts emenating from the closed doors.Eventually Shadoman emerges and walks to the tavern area where folks are having a drink.

"I needs ta be lookin for hidden secrets. Would ju juju lovahs be opposed to me runnin some scryin rituals in each room of dis here establishment? Also,  i t'ink we bettah know what tah do wit our deed contract..."

OOC:
Shadoman basically wants to know if he can cast the detect secret door spell and check people's rooms.
Kaliban
 Human Paladin, 9 posts
Sat 18 Jun 2016
at 13:37
Re: The Golden Goblin
Kaliban, having found the people he needed and sending the ones who would take care of Saul's corpse and the honored body of the halfling, glances at Shadonab's words, "No problem with me if you want to do your thing in my room or the main rooms. I'd suggest looking for magic auras too while you're at it. Who knows what Saul left behind that will bite us later." Kaliban glances at the rat folk, "Or... sooner."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:36, Sun 19 June 2016.

Narrator
 GM, 24 posts
Sun 19 Jun 2016
at 14:53
Re: The Golden Goblin
Using the brushstrokes of narrative, Im moving the tale along now that everyone is ready!

In a whirlwind of activity, the next few days are spent repairing the Goblin and taking stock of all the damage.
The day after the incident, WinsRuth has a strange visitor in the form of an odd looking Gnome. Handing the Halling a sealed letter, WinsRuth immediately packs his gear and leaves the Goblin with the man. Telling everyone to "look after it whilst he's gone" and that "he'll be back to check in on things after dealing with a family matter quick."
With that, he departs.

You also spend the time negotiating with the young Jimmy d'Pest, who seems happy to give you a good deal on alcohol for the goblins stores... even better then when Saul was making deals. Seems like his family may have had some sort of a beef with him!
You fast gel with the charismatic Ratfolk, finding his advice on the now unmanaged supply chains invaluable in getting the Goblin back up and running.

In the meanwhile, you've hired the services of A half orc named John Stone in order to bring security back fully unto check, having lost the previous head of the arena and head of bouncers. This was the only way to convince your other lesser staff to return, as they all feared for their lives otherwise.

Now the main position that remains empty is that if full time manager.
None of you really have the expertise that your once brave halfling companion had... nor the "tricks with the books" that Saul could pull off... you will have to decide if you want to hire another manager or not...

Lastly, after a day or two of poking about, Mr Shadowman discovers a very well concealed ominous looking trapdoor in the very deep back of the Goblins basement (under one of the now drained seawater tanks none the less! It seems a secret hung mechanism slid the tank aside on cleverly concealed tracks)
You now find yourself gathered around the trapdoor, it's secrets hidden securely by a tough looking lock.

(This continues in the new thread coming up now!)