And So It Begins....   Posted by Comte De Treville.Group: 0
Comte De Treville
 GM, 272 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Wed 10 May 2017
at 03:01
And So It Begins....
La Baroness did not seem taken aback by Gerard's answer about his name. That he had already proven his honor to her by his actions she seemed content with his answer.

"Oh Monsieur Lazare! Non! Do not fret over your name. For actions have already told me everything i must know about you. I shall be honored to call you by that name. Ahhh! So you spoke with my husband?" she said bringing her clasped hands to her heart.

"Monsieur Lazare, you have made me most happy! That he yet lives and that he misses me. How may I thank you Monsieur? I already owe you so much and now you have brought me such news. Brother martin said I should be able to travel in a day or two. May I beg of you of one more favor? Will you escort my carriage back to Les Pavements. He you are in haste to travel then I shall understand. So do not feel beholden to me. As I have said... you have already done more than I can repay."
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 438 posts
Wed 24 May 2017
at 23:53
And So It Begins....
 Lazare heard the request of this most charming woman, and he wanted nothing more, then to accommodate her. But he did hesitate, for in his opinion, she was not safe in the place she wished to go.

“Dame la plus noble, I must inform you, it is my opinion, which the Nephew, Andre, ordered his men to erect that barricade, and then either abduct you, or god forbid, something even darker. Andre lied to me, and informed me those ruffians where in the service of your lord husband. But I have a source that claims differently. I must decline your request as I feel you are not safe, if you return to Les Pavements, at this time.”

This message was last edited by the player at 23:57, Wed 24 May.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 280 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Thu 25 May 2017
at 02:01
And So It Begins....
It seemed her smile stayed upon her full lips but now it seemed forced.

"It is fine Monsieur Lazare, I know you are a man of the highest honor. I accept your decision and will not try to sway you from it. The Viscomte has said as much. Because Le Baron loves him so... I have always given Andre the benefit of the doubt. He wishes to arrest Andre... Le Viscomte does. Yet, I know this will dishonor Le Baron as well. I wish here was a way... a way to have Andre leave Les Pavements but not in shackles."

She sighed loudly and then laid back "With or without your escort I must return to Les Pavements. My brave husband is in poor health and each day may be his last. My place is at his side Monsieur Lazare. I must return... I must!"
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 439 posts
Thu 25 May 2017
at 02:57
And So It Begins....
Gerard frowned, but then his expression softened as he saw the grief and concern in the woman for her husband. A sudden thought came to his mind, a course of action that required tact, diplomacy, and time was not his friend.

 " Madame, I shall do what I can, to see that Andre is not there when you return, and with god's grace, your husband shall not be disgraced. I do not think we shall meet again until sometime has elapsed. I wish you and your husband god's grace.”

 Lazare bowed to the Baroness, then departed her chambers. He made his way down the stairs in search  of his retainers. His plan was to gather his men to him, then depart the Vicomte’s Chateau, and back to the Baron’s residence.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 281 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Fri 26 May 2017
at 01:19
And So It Begins....
La Baroness seemed quite uncertain by what Gerard had said and all was known by the quizzical look upon her face!

"Oui! Merci Monsieur Lazare! Whether it be tomorrow or many years to come, you shall always be welcome in my presence. Va avec dieu! Va avec dieu Monsieur Lazare!" 
Martin Le Maigre
 NPC, 22 posts
 Benedictine
 Monk
Fri 26 May 2017
at 01:20
And So It Begins....
Brother Martin was just outside La Baroness' door as he was her acting physician. Once Gerard was seen leaving in such haste, he called out.

"Monsieur? Is all well? You leave so quickly... is La Baroness well then. Must I attend her?"

The monk's face was full of concern but there was some curiosity there as well...
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 440 posts
Fri 26 May 2017
at 01:39
And So It Begins....
 Lazare came to a sudden halt in the hallway. The words of the good Brother caused him to want to tell all.

“ Good Brother, I am in a quandary, to say the least. The Vicomte wants to ride to the Baron’s residence and arrest Andre and his men. The Baroness does not want this as it will shame the Baron. We have a group of Mercs led by an Englishman  that is either at the Barons or will be shortly. How can all parties be satisfied in this? The only way I can see to try and fix this situation, is to convince Andre to join the regiment of de Challons with me,and get away from this matter. In that way, all shall not have what they want, but honor of all will remain intact. His rogues must be sacrificed to the law, as is right and proper, but this Andre will be under the protection of de Challons and out of the fray. It is the only solution I can come up with…if I had any sense, I would wash my hands of this mess, and be about my own business. But it seems I have no sense.”

 Gerard had blurted out these facts without drawing a breath.
Martin Le Maigre
 NPC, 23 posts
 Benedictine
 Monk
Sat 3 Jun 2017
at 19:12
And So It Begins....
In reply to Gerard D'Amberville (msg # 284):

Brother Martin seemed to be caught off guard by Gerard's sudden outburst but he held up a warding hand. His thin lips pursed in thought as he closed his eyes. Finally he sighed.

"Monsieur Lazare... " he said with a slight tug at the corner of his mouth. "... I think this is a most marvelous plan! I shall stay... I must finish the care for La Baroness yet still I may be able to stall the provost marshal for a while as well as calm the mind of Le Viscomte. If you still plan to journey to Rouen I can meet you there. Though if I may be so bold... be careful of de  Challons. Word is he is scheming with de Conde and he against the King and the Queen Mother. If this is indeed true then any who join his banner may be labeled traitors to the crown."
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 448 posts
Tue 6 Jun 2017
at 02:01
And So It Begins....
  Lazare nodded to the Brother.” Your take your counsel to heart, Brother. I shall do what I can, to convince this Nephew to accept my counsel. With God’s grace, we shall meet again in Rouen. Until then, go with God.”

 Gerard then went to seek out his Lackey, and have their gear and horses made ready for travel.
Jean-Luc Le Chat
 NPC, 18 posts
 Lackey
 Groom
Wed 7 Jun 2017
at 02:08
And So It Begins....
In reply to Gerard D'Amberville (msg # 286):

It was not hard to find the lackey. Gerard only had to follow the noise. Jean-Luc was busy holding court and a bottle of wine.

"Oui! Moi Master, "Monsieur Lazare, is known to both Le Viscomte and La Baroness! Ah-ha! See! You thought me some lowly vagabond eh? Non! I am Jean-Luc Le Chat. Soon we shall travel to Rouen oui! Thereour fortune shall be won!"

"Your fortune eh?" cried another servant, a stocky groomsman no doubt. "You have already stolen three psitoles from me you rascal!"

Jean-Luc just smiled and wagged a finger "Non! I won them from you. Your luck is worse than your breath Jean-Baptiste! My Master is blessed with skill and moi... I am blessed with luck!"
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 450 posts
Wed 7 Jun 2017
at 02:27
And So It Begins....
"Lazare" followed the sounds of several servants gathered outside of the kitchen of the Chateau. By the flowing of wine and the blanket upon the ground with knucklebones, it seemed that Jean-Luc was in his element.

“There you are, Jean-Luc. If you can dislodge yourself from your new friends, you must make ready our gear and horses for departure. Vite, Vite.”

Gerard stood there with hands upon his hips,with a slight scowl upon his features.
Jean-Luc Le Chat
 NPC, 19 posts
 Lackey
 Groom
Wed 5 Jul 2017
at 03:22
And So It Begins....
Lean-Luc turned slowly around with a sheepish smile.

"We leave Monsieur? But we have just returned non? You need your rest Monsieur! Some wine perhaps? Oui! Wine! Le Viscomte was generous and his wine is the best. Come! We shall share a glass." he said with a pleading tone in his voice.

The servants about him began to snicker and whisper among themselves.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 462 posts
Wed 5 Jul 2017
at 21:27
And So It Begins....
 Gerard was not a hard hearted man, as a rule, but time was not their friend for what he had in mind. “ By all the saints, I gave you an instructions to be carried out. Time is of the essence, and if you do not wish to feel my boot where you sit, make ready to depart. “  Spoken in a normal tone of voice.
Jean-Luc Le Chat
 NPC, 20 posts
 Lackey
 Groom
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 02:17
And So It Begins....
In reply to Gerard D'Amberville (msg # 290):

Jean-Luc thought it worth a try but also knew the limits of his master. He had felt that very boot on more than one occasion and had no desire to feel it again. So there was nothing for it... he must obey.

The valet gave his master a low bow "Oui! I shall enlist some help Monsieur! The horses will be ready when you arrive at the stables. How many will ride with us Monsieur? Just us... or will there be others?"

The knot of servants behind the lackey gave a variety of responses. Some whispered among themselves while others actual laughed and scoffed at poor Jean-Luc. In the in end Gerard was aware of several grooms in this ragged group of discontents. They were or Viscomte's employ and not his own though...
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 490 posts
Sun 20 Aug 2017
at 22:44
And So It Begins....
 Gerard got his Lackey motivated, finally, but the other servants in the gaggle just gawked at him. He then realized they were his host’s creatures, and would inform their Master of this. He did the only thing he could think of, to stall the inevitable.

“You lazy, worthless, things, you think this is a jest?” He glared at the other servants. “I am sure the Viscount will wish to know which of his servants are loafing, during the day. Get off your backsides and asset my man, or I will see each and every one of you thrashed. Bouget oi!" He shouted this last word.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:48, Sun 20 Aug.

Martin Le Maigre
 NPC, 24 posts
 Benedictine
 Monk
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 12:18
And So It Begins....
In reply to Gerard D'Amberville (msg # 292):

The room became quiet after Gerard's stern reprimand! This was soon followed by a flurry of movement as servants, lackeys, and grooms scattered with some colliding with one another as they moved to carry out the nobleman's behests. Only the lone cook was left... and she returned busily to prepare for the next meal.

*****   ***  *****

Once outside in the courtyard Gerard was pleased to see four horses saddled and looking splendid in the sun. Jean-luc was still busy brushing down Gerard's horse which pawed the hard dirt-packed ground. Fortunio stood there with his fine rapier hanging lazily upon his hip. Jacques was there as well. The gifted pistols ticked into his broad belt. He gave Gerard a slight bow in greeting. Lastly, Brother Martin was there in his somber black robes and he too bowed to Gerard.

"Well Monsieur! I will pray that God goes with you this day. If all goes as planned you will indeed make a most complicated situation less so. I shall stay to continue to tend to the needs of La Baroness in hopes she will be able to depart in a few days. I shall also try my best to ease things with the provost marshal... failing that, do my best to stall his departure. I shall try to find you once I return to Rouen. Yet, if our paths do not cross you may find me at L' Abbaye Saint-Ouen de Rouen. Now go with God."
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 495 posts
Thu 31 Aug 2017
at 15:38
And So It Begins....
 Gerard inspected his mount, but not before he greeted those that would ride with him. When the good brother came forth, he young noble went to speak with the good brother.

 After Brother Martian had his say, Gerard spoke? “Perhaps so, but I feel like I have been enveloped by a whirlwind of events, and it is hard to remain on my feet. But be that as it may, I feel this is the best solution to a tangled affair.  Pray for me, good Brother. I shall see you in Rouen, God willing. Fare Bein.”

Gerard mounted his horse, and then addressed his companions. “We depart in haste, for our business is not a friend to time.” With a wave of his hand. “ Suis Moi.”
Fortunio
 NPC, 16 posts
 Fencing Master
 Italian Mercenary
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 04:16
And So It Begins....
Brother Martin waved and said "Au revoir mon amie!"

As the four horsemen raced out of Le Viscomte's courtyard and along the King's Highway. Not more than five miles down the road Gerard noticed the tell tale signs of a fire! Though to the young nobleman's mind could not guess how such a fire would be found upon both sides of the road.

"Monsieur!" cried Jean-luc! "We must stop!"

"Or hasten our pace!" shouted Fortunio!




Each Horse will bolt on a roll of 1-4 on 1D6. Each round a Man must make a Horsemanship check to stay in the saddle, with a -3 penalty. Failing the check results in in the rider falling from the Horse, causing 2D6 general damage; succeeding at Dex/2 or less stops the Horse.

Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 497 posts
Fri 1 Sep 2017
at 19:48
And So It Begins....
 They rode like the hounds of hell, snapped at their horse’s rear hooves. The King’s road war ate up. But suddenly, they troupe stopped fire burning on both sides of the road. Gerard raised his right arm as he reigned up his horse upon the road. He looked to both sides to see if there was a way around the obstacle. “Arrêt!”
Comte De Treville
 GM, 323 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 16:56
And So It Begins....
As Gerard peered to both sides of the road trying to discern what, if any, path may allow them to continue. For certain riding down the King's road before them was indeed one. The danger was very apparent but the nobleman thought if there was yet another way...



Roll your Wit or lower to see what you may see...
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 498 posts
Sun 3 Sep 2017
at 20:09
And So It Begins....
16:08, Today: Gerard D'Amberville rolled 18 using 1d20.  Wit roll. Wit of 15, ergo fail.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 330 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Tue 19 Sep 2017
at 02:24
And So It Begins....
In reply to Gerard D'Amberville (msg # 298):

Gerard stared into the flames but could not find another way around as the woods on both sides of the road were afire. There seemed there were but two choices for the nobleman... one he could wait for the fire to burn out and the smoke cleared to allow travel upon the road. This may take hours or days, Gerard come not be sure. The other is try to beat the flames... though if they did not a terrible death awaited them. The provost marshal would be arriving behind them soon. Andre may or may not leave.

The choices were both fraught with danger. Which should he choose? Though choose he must Gerard knew... for soon... very soon the choice would be made for him!




Each Horse will bolt on a roll of 1-4 on 1D6. Each round a Man must make a Horsemanship check to stay in the saddle, with a -3 penalty. Failing the check results in in the rider falling from the Horse, causing 2D6 general damage; succeeding at Dex/2 or less stops the Horse.

Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 506 posts
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 01:37
And So It Begins....
 Gerard could see no way to circumvent the blazing wood. He turned to speak with his fellows. “There is nothing for it, Mes Amies. We must run the gauntlet of the fire, and pray for the best. Everyone, empty your canteen onto your cloaks and wear the hood up. With the Good Lord’s blessing, we will prevail.”

 Gerard donned hos soaked cloak and pulled up the hood. With a cry of “Forward!” He put spurs to the horse’s flanks, and rode into Hell.


*How many rounds do I need to roll for?*

This message was last edited by the player at 02:03, Fri 22 Sept.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 333 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 07:18
And So It Begins....
In reply to Gerard D'Amberville (msg # 300):

Gerard's preparation was a cunning one... the soaked cloaks do much to prevent the heat and the flames from penetrating to the desperate riders but the horses themselves are wild-eyed and frantic as everyone raced through the fiery gauntlet before them. The riders themselves see that though the fire had spread to both sides of the road it only raged some half mile before them... upon fast horses, sped by the fear of fire they would all be soon through to safety upon the other side!




Just roll once for Gerard. Horsemanship at -3 but if you fail you are only unhorsed once before you make it through to the other side but because of the wet cloak, you and the others only take 1d6 damage and not 2d6! Bon Chance! 
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 507 posts
Thu 28 Sep 2017
at 02:13
And So It Begins....
22:13, Today: Gerard D'Amberville rolled 13 using 1d20+3.