And So It Begins....   Posted by Comte De Treville.Group: 0
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 58 posts
Wed 29 Jun 2016
at 00:13
And So It Begins....
 Gerard listened to Jaques answer to his question, and his intentions. The young noble nodded in approval.

“Bien. That is well said of you, Jaques. But mark me, while you in my service, I will hear no more slurs against holy mother church, those that worship in the Roman way, or any other such nonsense. I shall not hear the same of Huguenots. We are all French, and it is time we start remembering that, before a Spanish Pike reminds us of the folly of our differences."

 Gerard wheeled his horse toward the gate of the Inn.

“ Jaques, after the good Brother tends your wound, I shall await you a short distance away on the road to Rouen. Fetch your horse and whatever you wish to take with you, and rendezvous with us.”

 When Brother Martin had completed his task, Gerard led the small group down the road a mile or so, and waited for his new retainer.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:22, Wed 29 June 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 55 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Thu 30 Jun 2016
at 01:40
And So It Begins....
As the small group made their way out of the village they passed a few more farmers, some of who actually waved. Jean-Luc brought up the rear still leading the pack horse with Monsieur's armor. Brother Martin urged his mule along side Gerard's big grey.

"I wish to thank you Monsieur. There are many of the Reformed faith in Normandie. Though I do not condone what many did during the Wars, I shall not hide nor apologize for my faith. It is nice to find someone like you Monsieur... a man of faith but a man who has great vision. One that sees there could be peace between the faiths and that France has greater enemies."

There was a smile upon Martin's thin lips.

"Monsieur? Would you honor me by being our guests at the Abbaye. The least I could do to repay your kindness."

It did not take long for Jacques, for they saw a cloud of dust upon the road behind them. Soon the old campaigner pulled up beside Gerard upon an older but still fine bay mare. He now wore an old buff coat over padded woolen breeches of a dun color. An embroidered baldric was over the rough leather coat and it held his longsword with scabbard. Upon his head was a beret that held a single peacock feather. It was set at a jaunty angle.

"Monsieur! I am ready!"   he said inclining his head as he did so.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 61 posts
Thu 30 Jun 2016
at 02:32
And So It Begins....
  Once they had won free of the Inn and its surroundings, Gerard felt his spirits lighen somewhat. He had a fine day by the looks of things, He was whole and hail and he now had a retainer. The young Noble gave silent thanks, to the Lord above, for the chance of redeeming his families honor.

  The good brother Martin invited Gerard to the hospitality of his Abbey when they reached their destination. In all honor and good manners, Gerard could not refuse. He smiled to Martin.

“You have no need to offer me thanks, Brother; it was my duty as a Christian and Gentlemen, to offer you protection upon the road. But with that being said, I am honored by your invitation, and happily accept.”

  Just about then, the cloud of dust was seen upon the road, that caused Gerard’s hand to stray near the handle of his horse pistol, but the quickly advancing figure revealed itself to be Jaques. When his retainer caught up to them, and inquired as to their destination, Gerard broke out into a broad smile.

“Gentlemen, this road leads us to adventure and opportunity. With some luck, the good will of the Almighty, and resolve in our hearts,We shall do well.
Carpe diem! On to Rouen!! ”


With those words spoken, Gerard kicked his horse’s flanks, and broke into a gallop down the road.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:34, Thu 30 June 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 56 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Fri 1 Jul 2016
at 00:36
And So It Begins....
The group moved onward with a renewed spirit of hope. Jean-Luc made small talk with the Friar, Martin. It was the lackey's curiosity that came to the fore. His questions centered mostly around if the Abbaye indeed had a vineyard and if so did they serve wine at their meals. The monk nodded and responded that they did and if his Master agreed to it, Jean-Luc would taste it once they reached the town and the Abbaye itself.

"Why not!" Jean-Luc said jutting out his chin. "It is the Blood of Christo Himself!"

The last said as the lackey crossed himself.

Jacques tuened out to be a good horseman and his horse one who had aged well. For his bay did a fine job keeping in line with Gerard's gray. Once they had settled into a fine pace the old campaigner cleared his throat.

"I hear that mercenaries are gathering in Rouen Monsieur. If that is so then it is well that we travel there. I hear that there is to be a regiment of cavalry raised by none other than Hiérosme de Challons, recently made Comte de Challons. He too fought along side the King, Henri the IV. I know you wish me to open my mind and soften my heart Monsieur. For you I shall try but I must warn you he is of the Reformed Faith. A good man Monsieur le Comte but not Catholic. Does this bother you Monsieur?"
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 62 posts
Fri 1 Jul 2016
at 00:57
And So It Begins....
 The group made good time upon the road, that day. They passed many small farm and a few scattered hamlets. His Lackey, Jean-Luc. seemed to be getting along with the good Brother, or was the Brother being patient of the man's questions, out of Christian charity?

 Jaques spoke about their destination, and the fact that the Comte de Challons, was raising a regiment, and that the Comte was a Huguenot. His new retainer, also asked, Gerard, if that fact, bothered him. Gerard groaned inwardly, he had hoped that sort of thing had been settled. He now saw, it would take time. Instead of berating Jaques, he decided upon another approach.

“Does it bother me that the Comte is not of the Roman Church? If that fact does not bother the Comte de Challons, then why should it bother me?”

 Gerard said this in a most serious tone of voice. He then tapped his spurs, to his horse’s flanks, to move faster for a while.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:50, Fri 01 July 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 58 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 02:17
And So It Begins....
For a few days the group traveled thusly, staying in roadside inns when they may and under God's canvas when they could not. Jean-Luc always tended the horses and even the good brother's mule with the great care that he was known for. Martin prayed and discussed many subjects rangng from the politics in Paris to new advances in chemistry. Jacques took his employment very seriously, taking his turn at watch when camping and regaling the group with his stories of the great war of religion. Though no great bond of brotherhood was forming between the Monk and Huguenot, at least there was peace between them.

Upon their fourth day out Jean-Luc pointed out what seemed to be a bird, most like a falcon which seemed to be feasting on some other bird... most like a pigeon.

"If my eyes are true Monsieur, that bird has a leather thong about one leg."  claimed the lackey.

"We are not far from the small town of Lisieux Monsieur." said Martin. "There is a Chateaux not far from here. Mayhaps it is one of their birds?"
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 64 posts
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 02:48
And So It Begins....
 The days passed uneventfully, as the four travelled upon the road. Gerard knew that staying at Inns reduced an already light purse, but such concerns where for Jean-Luc. The young noble enjoyed himself as much as possible.

 On the fourth day, his Lackey pointed out a hunting Falcon that feasted upon a Pigeon in a nearby field.  The Brother Martin bespoke of a Chateaux being in the area. This news caused Gerard’s general good mood to sour, as evidenced by his frown.

“Mayhap, but we are for the small town, and shall avoid the Chateaux, at all costs. That reminds me, if we run into anyone, I would in your debt, Brother Martin, if you forgot you ever heard of Gerard Alexdre D’Amberville. The name of D'Amberville is as poison in France. I intend to present myself using a Nom de la guerre. If you must address me, address me as Lazare.”
Martin Le Maigre
 NPC, 13 posts
 Benedictine
 Monk
Sat 2 Jul 2016
at 16:28
And So It Begins....
The friar nodded "Oui! That is no problem for me Monsieur. I will so address you so I shall not forget. As I have said, I am in your debt Monsieur Lazare."

The party continued on making good time, though the monk must push his mule. They saw a squat tower upon a hill surrounded by out buildings that must have been the Chateaux. As Gerard wished, the party rode on by with hardly a glance and soon found themselves entering a small copse of trees. Gerard in the lead could see that one of the bigger trees was lying across the road. though an obstacle it could easily be skirted by the horses and mule.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 59 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 3 Jul 2016
at 00:27
And So It Begins....
Jacques moved his bay next to Gerard's own "Monsieur? Should I ride ahead? It is a common trick of highwaymen I think."

The old campaigner raised himself in his saddle as he looked about the trees. His hand going toward the hilt of his sword.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 65 posts
Sun 3 Jul 2016
at 01:24
And So It Begins....
 When the group came upon the tree across the road, Gerard heard Jaques offer counsel, that is might be the work of Brigands. The Noble drew his Horse pistol, and spanned the wheel spring.

“Oui, but be sure to keep a sharp eye out for anyone skulking in the trees, Jaques."
Comte De Treville
 GM, 60 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 3 Jul 2016
at 02:09
And So It Begins....
In the distance, from which they came, Gerard could hear the loud "CRACK" of a whip. As one, the group turned their heads toward the sound and were rewarded by the sight of a carriage rumbling down the road spewing clouds of dust behind it . Even as they looked on, the driver again cracked his whip to speed the pace of the already frantic horses that pulled the carriage onward. Already Jean-Luc was leading the pack horse off the road least they were swept away or overborne by the horses and carriage behind.

"Monsieur!" shouted the lackey! "Make Way!"

Friar Martin pulled the reigns of his mule with grim determination. The coachman screamed oaths at the monk but did naught to slow the carriage or the horses that pulled it.

"Mon Dieu!"cried Jacques! He did his best to turn his bay so that the mare would not be broadsided!

"Make way for the Baroness! Off the road!" screamed the coachman, his face flushed with rage and mayhaps drink.

OOC:

Make a Horsemanship check to see if you can first help Friar Martin. You may then make one more to give chase of the coach. If the driver continues on like this he'll hit the tree and over turn the coach itself.

Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 66 posts
Sun 3 Jul 2016
at 02:22
And So It Begins....
22:20, Today: Gerard D'Amberville rolled 20 using 1d20.  Horsemanship roll. Fail


  Gerard kicked his horses flanks in an attempt to move his horse and himself toward Brother Martin to assist him off the road.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 61 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Mon 4 Jul 2016
at 02:50
And So It Begins....
The carriage continued forward at a break-neck pace, careening side to side as it did so. Brother Martin's mule was grazed by the coach as it went by. The mule let fly with both hind legs leaving it's mark upon a door as it passed! Gerard's attempt to aid the friar was not only a tad late but sent the nobleman plunging onto the roadside itself. Gerard had but a few heartbeats to rise in a cloud of dust and to see Jean-Luc try his best to close upon the coach. With a crack of his whip, the coachman stayed the lackey's hand and the coach sped on!

Jacques screamed "Stop you fool!"

To no avail! The coach entered the wood with the coachman laughing at his handiwork Until at last he saw the tree! He then let out such an oath and pulled back hard upon the reigns. However, it was too late. The horses nearly stumbled but cleared the fallen tree... not so the coach. The front wheels hit with such force that an axle broke sending the coach upon his side and sent the coachman through the air landing with a sickening "thud"!

OOC:

The first roll was a fumble but the second was a success which allowed Gerard to land without injury! Cheers
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 67 posts
Mon 4 Jul 2016
at 03:19
And So It Begins....
  The entire incident seemed to happen in slow motion to the nobleman. The coach and four came thundering down the road; Brother Martin had trouble getting his mule to clear the road, so Gerard attempted to render aid to the Brother. His horse must have missed stepped or slipped, because Gerard found himself thrown from the saddle to land upon his back sound, with the wind knocked out of him, for the moment. He sat there and watched in a mix of detached interest and distress, as the horses cleared the log, but the coach flew off its front axle and ended up on its side.

  Gerard attempted to regain his feet, as he called out to the others.

“Jean-Luc, Jaques, Brother Martin, is anyone injured?!?"

 He shouted, as the nobleman staggered to an upright position, His garments where covered in the dirt of the road and a few dead leaves. He had lost his pistol, and it lay forgotten for the time being. Gerard attempted to focus his eyes and get his bearings.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 62 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Tue 5 Jul 2016
at 03:32
And So It Begins....
The scene before the young nobleman was surreal indeed. The horses now detached from the coach now stood idly by, some pawing at the ground. Brother Martin's mule continued to "HEE HAW" loudly still kicking with his hind legs but now hitting nothing but empty air! The friar himself let go the reigns and ran toward the coach!

"Yes! By God's grace I am well. I must see to anyone riding in the coach" the monk said over his shoulder.

Jean-Luc kicked his horse into a canter toward Gerard!

"Monsieur! Are you well? Monsieur?"said without any regard to the lackey's own health.

Jacques looked about aimlessly... searching in the chaos of his mind where he should go! To Gerard or the coach. Yet, physically he seemed hale enough.

"I am well Monsieur! Are you? What would you have me do?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 12:15, Tue 05 July 2016.

Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 69 posts
Tue 5 Jul 2016
at 18:25
And So It Begins....
 His wits returned to the young Nobleman, as he took the measure of the situation around them. He fumbled for his sword hilt, and drew the blade, as he looked towards the trees surrounding them. When everyone replied to Gerard’s inquiry about their health, he quickly decided what had to be done.

“ Jaques, see that we are not surprised by those that erected that barricade. Scout the immediate area. Jean-Luc, retrieve my horse, and then join me at the carriage.”

 Garrard headed toward the wrecked carriage, with one eye still looking to the trees, half expecting said tress to erupt with Brigands, coming forth, to finish what their barricade had started.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 66 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 01:48
And So It Begins....
Jacques shouted "Oui Monsieur!"

The old campaigner spurred his mount toward the coach. With the speed of his mare, Jacques passed the friar who continued to race toward the overturned coach on foot! Jean-Luc first gathered Gerard's stallion and lead the horse toward his master.

"I like this not Monsieur!" his eyes continued to peer at the surrounding trees. It would seem that the lackey shared the same concerns that bothered Gerard. Gerard's gray pawed the earth before it as even it too might have a premonition of battle.

"Check the coach Jacques!" shouted Martin at Jacques back. "The Coachman spoke of a baroness."

If the soldier heard him he did not let on. The coachman himself laid in a heap, unmoving. One of the coach's wheels still slowly turned but no sound escaped from within. The only noise appeared to be the cawing of crows within the wood beyond...
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 73 posts
Wed 6 Jul 2016
at 02:21
And So It Begins....
 With sword in hand, Gerard moved over to the over turned coach, and attempted to open the door to see if anyone still lived inside.

  “Is anyone hurt in there?”

 Said as Gerard peered inside the coach’s interior.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 70 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Thu 7 Jul 2016
at 02:29
And So It Begins....
By the time Gerard had mounted his horse and covered the distance to the coach Jacques had already reached it. The old soldier raised himself in the saddle and examined the coach itself.

"It is silent... no cries or moans Monsieur." said the Huguenot as Gerard rode up.

The wheel of the coach finally stopped as Gerard booted feet hit the ground. He easily climbed the outside of the overturned coach. With a slight jiggling of the handle the door came open and the nobleman forced it up and away against gravity. The monk called out as he was still some paces away.

"Is the passenger alive? Is anyone injured?"

When Gerard peered inside the lavish coach with it's padded velvet seats and dainty little lace curtains, he saw the passenger at last. She was a visage of ultimate beauty. With her eyes closed exposing the long delicate curled lashes, she lay as if asleep. Her skin was white as porcelain and flawless save for the bruise upon her forehead. Her lips were like petals of red roses and were slightly parted. Yet, her ample bosom rose and fell slowly. Aye! She breathed! Her dress though well made and no doubt costly, spoke of the rural nobility rather than a peer at court. At her neck she wore a broach with a sigil of some noble house.

OOC:

Gerard may roll a Heraldry check to see her ancestral house may be. Cheers

Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 78 posts
Thu 7 Jul 2016
at 02:48
And So It Begins....
 Gerard road his horse over to the wrecked carriage, and dismounted. The young noble made a quick survey of the scene, and then looked to Jaques, before he attempted to gain entrance to the carriage.

“Jaques, I told you to scout the immediate area, not do this. I shall see if anyone is hurt inside, now go stand guard, and keep alert for brigands. Listen, next time, Monsieur.”

 Gerard had a scolding tone to his voice when he spoke to his retainer. The Noble then opened the carriage door and attempted to lower himself into the compartment to take stock of the Ladies injuries.

“Jean-Luc, I shall attempt to raise her out of the carriage. I need for you to take her by the upper arms as I lift her."


22:33, Today: Gerard D'Amberville rolled 8 using 1d20.  Heraldry check.

 Success~

This message was last edited by the player at 03:09, Thu 07 July 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 72 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sat 9 Jul 2016
at 02:35
And So It Begins....
Jacques gave the nobleman a curt nod and turned his horse around. He then peered through the trees and foliage for possible foes. Jean-Luc reached the coach and did his best to climb upon the overturned coach.

"Oui Monsieur! I am here. Hand her to me. Brother Martin! Come quickly!" the lackey shouted and was happy that the friar was indeed there.

"Careful!" he shouted! "She may be more injured than she appears."

After some effort and assistance from the two, lackey and monk, Gerard saw the beautiful young woman lying upon the ground with Jean-Luc's cloak over her now. Brother Martin was examining her as best he could.

"No broken bones the Lord be praised."he said with a slight smile and a nod. He then glanced at Jean-Luc. "The coachman?"

"He is dead."  the lackey said shaking his head sadly.

"He stinks of wine. Mayhaps there is some within the coach? No doubt the lady might require some upon awakening." Jean-Luc said hopefully.

There was a slight breeze which rustled the leaves of the surrounding trees. They brought a faint hint of jasmine... mayhaps the woman's perfume thought Gerard. The sound of crows could still be heard but closer now.

OOC:

The sigil belongs to a Baron de Les Pavements. His Chateaux lies 1 1/2 miles from Lisieux only a day away. Gerard knows him to be an elderly man of some wealth who had no children and has recently remarried a much younger woman, a daughter of a improvished nobleman from Le Harve who now hopes to inherit the Chateaux upon the old man's death.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:58, Sat 09 July 2016.

Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 79 posts
Sat 9 Jul 2016
at 03:34
And So It Begins....
  When Gerard had climbed down into the coach, he beheld a sight worthy of a poem. Lying on her side was a vision of loveliness, and a fine example of French womanhood. Gerard found himself ogling the senseless woman like some wet behind the ears char boy. He shook his head and with the assistance of the others, extracted her from the wrecked coach.

 Gerard clamored out of the wreck, and had Jean-Luc fetch his cloak from his horse, to lay the Lady upon, instead of the bare ground. As Brother Martin attempted to evaluate the extent of the ladies injuries, Gerard looked to the trees, and heard the rustle of the leaves in the woods. The woods where quiet, much too quiet, the atmosphere was such that when the noble spoke, it was almost in a whisper, to Brother Martin.

“Can she be moved, Brother? We must quit this place, and in some haste. That obstacle upon the road, did not erect itself. We must decamp, Gentlemen.”

 He slid his sword back into its scabbard, as Gerard’s eyes searched the ground for his pistol.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:38, Sat 09 July 2016.

Martin Le Maigre
 NPC, 15 posts
 Benedictine
 Monk
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 14:40
And So It Begins....
Martin nodded and then shrugged "Oui! She has no broken bones that I see Monsieur but I do not think she could sit upon a horse. Is there a way we may right the coach somehow? There she could travel in comfort and safety."
Jean-Luc Le Chat
 NPC, 11 posts
 Lackey
 Groom
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 14:40
And So It Begins....
Jean-Luc shook his head "We be four men Monsieur but I do not think we possess the strength to do it. One would have to have the strength of an ox to do such a thing. Mayhaps we can send word to Lisieux? hire some men or another coach? Surly we can camp here?"
Comte De Treville
 GM, 73 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 14:40
And So It Begins....
Jacques scowled as he peered into the woods where everything remained silent as the grave save for the rustling leaves and the cawing of crows.

"I would not camp here if it could be helped. Like Monsieur said, someone set the tree in the road. Look at the bottom... see there where an axe has done it's work. Non! Someone has done this waiting for this coach or some other I know not."

He then spat!

"I wish I had my pistol! Dam these crows! Where are they anyway?"

At the mention of his pistol. Jacques reminded Gerard that his lied back at the spot where he fell from his horse...

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 16:37, Sun 10 July 2016.