And So It Begins....   Posted by Comte De Treville.Group: 0
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 82 posts
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 18:15
And So It Begins....
 Gerard heard hos companions spoken thoughts,and he he came to a decision.

" There is nothing for it, we must retire back down the road, and head for the  Chateaux we passed earlier.The Mademoiselle would ride with me under normal circumstances, but I need the freedom of action in the even we are accosted by Brigands. Brother Martin, can you ride with the Lady being held by you?"

Mademoiselle would ride with me under normal circumstances, but I need the freedom of action in the even we are accosted by Brigands. Brother Martin, can you ride with the Lady being held by you?"</Red>

 Gerard began to look upon the ground for his pistol.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:19, Sun 10 July 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 74 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 20:38
And So It Begins....
As they set about gathering their mounts and Gerard his pistol, brother Martin with the help of Jean-Luc lifted the young noblewoman onto the mule. As Gerard gathered his pitol and mounted the gray stallion he heard Jacques behind him call out.

"Movement in the trees Monsieur! Three... no four men! All on foot!"

Martin looked to Gerard with some anxiety.

"Monsieur? Should I ride on? The mule is slower than the horses... ?"
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 83 posts
Sun 10 Jul 2016
at 23:09
And So It Begins....
 Gerard retrieved his pistol, just about the time Jaques warned them of movement in the trees. He checked the frizzen of the pistol to make sure the powder had not been displaced. It had already been spanned, so Gerard kept the weapon in his hand.

 “Ride on ahead, Brother Martin. Make as much haste as your mount can endure,  head for the Chateaux. “

 The young Nobleman swung up into the saddle and looked to the woods seeking the four spotted by Jaques.

“Jean-Luc, take the pack horse and follow with Brother Martin. Make haste.”

 Garrard moved   his horse over to stand next to Jaques.

  “I hope your sword is loose in its scabbard, Monsieur. There may well be blade work ahead of us." Gerard then recalled Jacques's comment about a pistol." Have you some skill with this? I am hopeless with the thing, Here."

Gerard offered the Wheel Lock to Jaques, reversed .

This message was last edited by the player at 14:13, Mon 11 July 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 77 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 00:16
And So It Begins....
The good friar kicked his heels in the mule's side and it brayed in protest but begun to move down the hard packed road.

"God bless and keep you Monsieur!" the monk called over his shoulder.

Jean-Luc nodded and gathered the pack horse's lead rope "Are you sure Monsieur? You might need me in a fight."

The lackey tried his best to sit taller upon his mount and gave Gerard his most courageous posture.

Jacques' brow's arched up and his mouth was an "O" as he looked from Gerard to the pistol and back again.

"Oui! I am a good shot Monsieur. Are you sure? I am yours to command."

He then nodded toward the four men moving through the trees. There speed only bothered by the trees themselves. That made no attempt at stealth and appeared to be headed toward the coach at first glance but the braying of the mule gave them pause and as one they stopped. The men then began to speak and by by their temperament and gestures Gerard and his party was indeed a surprise to them. However, at this distance neither Jacques nor Gerard could hear what was said.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 88 posts
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 00:58
And So It Begins....
Gerard saw the men begin to emerge from the cover of the trees, but they seemed to be in some haste. Perhaps their thoughts of the rich possessions of the hapless passengers made them cast caution to the winds. “Juan-Luc, you can do the most good by guarding the good Priest and the Lady. See them both safe to the Chateaux. I am counting on you."

 The Pistol was almost shoved into the hand of his retainer, Jacque. "Take it, Jaque. It can do more good in your use, then mine."

 Gerard then drew the Long Sword and made sure the four that were heading towards the wreck of a carriage could see the blade. The young Nobleman called out in a rich baritone voice.

“Au nom de Dieu et le roi , déclare -vous!”
Comte De Treville
 GM, 78 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 12:24
And So It Begins....
Jean-Luc said nothing more but nodded and kicked his horse into a trot, following Brother Martin who was already on his way down the road. Jacques took the pistol with a slight smile upon his face.

"Merci Monsieur. Merci!" he said taking the pistol and turning his attention to the four approaching men from the woods.

As Gerard shouted and in the name of the King himself no less, the four men stopped their discussion and one cupped his hands around his mouth.

"We are from Les Pavements Monsieur! The Baron's men! We've come for the Baroness! Is she well Monsieur? Is that her coach?" the man shouted then all went silent.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 89 posts
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 20:55
And So It Begins....

 When the three men became more clear as to what they looked like,Gerard took their measure. How  where they garbed, did they wear weapons, and so forth. He had been exposed to servants all of his life,so he was fairly certain he would know the difference between servants or retainers, from a pack of brigands.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 79 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sat 16 Jul 2016
at 02:31
And So It Begins....
The four men, though still a good distance away, seemed not the sort of men he saw at his or other's Chateaux. Though they seemed dressed well enough, their clothes seemed too tight on some while on others they hung too loosely making these appear more scarecrows than men. The man who shouted to Gerard did indeed wear a blade at his hip while the others seemed to have only staves and such. Mayhaps belt knives but at this distance it was hard to tell.

"These men seem unlike any noble born I have met Monsieur. That they would come from the wood and on foot seems to say they speak falsely."

One thing was true... each minute hear, speaking with the men meant that Brother Martin, Lean-Luc, and the noblewoman were further down the road. The other Chateaux was only a few miles away.

"We thank you Monsieur... for your concern. You may go now. We will tend to the Madame." shouted the defacto leader once more.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 90 posts
Sat 16 Jul 2016
at 03:13
And So It Begins....
 Gerard made up his mind about the four interlopers. If they were the retainers of a Baron, then he was the King of Denmark. The noble brandished his blade for the edification of the four afoot.

“Gentlemen, I do apologize, but I am afraid I must insist that none of you attempt to approach the carriage.  Please be so kind as to return the way you have arrived.”

 Gerard moved his horse to interpose it and him, between the four and the carriage. He then spoke in a way, that the others where sure to hear.

“ Jaque, be so kind as to shoot the first man that attempts to approach the carriage.”
 Gerard was beginning to enjoy this encounter. He actually smiled at the four others.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 80 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 17 Jul 2016
at 13:13
And So It Begins....
Jacques gave Gerard a curt nod and said simply "Oui Monsieur!"

He moved his bay to stand near Gerard's gray and in the still and silence of the day the resounding "CLICK" of the hammer being pulled back rang out! The four men huddled together once more, discussing among themselves what options they may have left to them. Finally, the leader stepped away and shouted across the distance.

"Very well Monsieur! We shall leave for now. But if you should pass this way again have a care. We do not take kindly to being insulted. We shall meet again non?"

As one the group began to move off back into the woods and from the way which they came. Some looking over their shoulders as they did so. The leader shaking  fist in their direction.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 91 posts
Mon 18 Jul 2016
at 00:13
And So It Begins....
  Noble and Retainer, both sat upon their horses in silent contemplation of the four ruffians, that retired back into the trees. Gerard waited there for several minutes, standing guard over an empty Coach. Suddenly, he turned to regard Jaques.

“Our purpose here is at an end; Let us rejoin the rest of our company.”

 With those words having been uttered, the noble wheeled his horse and headed down the same road that Brother Martin and Jean-Luc had just recently retired.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 81 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Mon 18 Jul 2016
at 21:38
And So It Begins....
The two galloping horses soon overtook Jean-Luc and brother Martin as they made for the Chateaux. The noblewoman's head lolled side to side as the mule made its way down the hard packed road.

"You are well then Monsieur? I heard no shots... the men... were they highwaymen?" asked the lackey.

"Thank God! At first I thought we were pursued. The woman? It will be better off when we can lay the woman down. I fear the blow to the head is far worse than we thought. Even with all this jostling she sleeps very soundly Monsieur."

Off in the distance the party could hear hound baying. Perhaps giving chase to some hare or deer.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 92 posts
Wed 20 Jul 2016
at 23:37
And So It Begins....
 The two men, Gerard and Jaques, galloped down the road away from the barricade. Gerard looked over his shoulder, from time to time, to make sure they were not followed. Soon they caught up with the rest of the small group.

“Oui, I am sure they were not as they claimed, the Baron’s men. And if it is as they say, then this Baron should spend the money needed, to garb his retainers properly.”

 Brother Martin’s words as concerned the still unconscious Lady in his arms, caused Gerard to frown in concern for her welfare.

“I pray that there is a Physician or one skilled in healing, when we arrive at the Chateaux. Let us made haste, Gentlemen.”

 Gerard tapped his horse’s flanks with his spurs, to move his mount along that much faster. He heard the baying of hounds in the distance. He hoped that they would run afoul of the pack upon a scent. As an almost after thought, he offered the powder flask and shot bag to Jaques, before he sped forward.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 82 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Sun 24 Jul 2016
at 15:50
And So It Begins....
The group made haste, the best they could slowed as they were by Brother Martin's mule and it's burden. Jean-Luc brought up the rear still leading the draft horse behind him. Jacques accepted the powder and shot with a grateful smile.

"Merci Monsieur! I shall not forget this fine gift and your trust in me! Tres bien!"

They had not gone but a few miles further down the road until they saw in the open fields beside them a well dressed man sitting upon a fine horse with what looked to be a man servant on foot. Both appeared to be watching the sky... perhaps they were hunting, yet not with hounds but birds.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 93 posts
Sun 24 Jul 2016
at 17:40
And So It Begins....
 The small group made what speed they could, considering they had a mule and transported an injured Lady. When finally Gerard in in what appeared to be a Gentlemen and an obvious man in service, he raised his hand to bring the ground to a halt.

“We tarry here, for the time being. That may well be the Master of our destination, or part of that house. I shall approach him and ask for assistance.”

 With those spoken, Gerard tapped his horse’s flanks to take it into a fast walk towards the two figures. As he drew near, Gerard knew that the others reaction might be anything from minor annoyance for having his sport interrupted to outright friendliness. One could never tell, until one approach and spoke.

“Mon Seigneur, Please pardon this intrusion to your sport, but I must speak with you upon an urgent matter."

Gerard was garbed in fine dress himself, but he had the added protection of padded sleeves, pants and so forth. Some of his class might disdain the wearing of protective clothing, but then again,some would not. The young Nobleman doft his hat with a flourish and bowed to the mounted man., as good manners demanded .

This message was last edited by the player at 10:34, Thu 10 Nov 2016.

Comte De Treville
 GM, 84 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 02:39
And So It Begins....
The nobleman upon his steed, returned Gerard's bow with a half bow of his own. He was well dressed but wore appropriate attire for one who indulged in flacontry, including a thick leather glove upon his left forearm.

"Bonjour!" he said taking in Gerard's appearance with but a glance. "What is so urgent that one would interrupt one's sport Monsieur? Just so you know... I have three men, good shots all, under yon shade tree. Talk of highwaymen and ruffians abound. Go on then! Speak your piece so that I may enjoy mine."

The mans servant, a lackey no doubt, was dressed in the livery of the mounted nobleman, blue with silver.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 102 posts
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 03:03
And So It Begins....
  Geard nodded to the nobleman. “You are most generous with your time, Monsieur. I have an injured noblewoman with my Lackey. We found her carriage wrecked upon the road, and brought her here, Seeking assistance.  Might you have a Physician or another skilled in the healing arts, Monsieur?”

 Gerard took the measure of the other noble and his reaction as he explained the situation.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 86 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 04:11
And So It Begins....
The nobleman first cocked a brow and then his eyes went wide.

"Noblewoman? Good god man! Why did not you say this in the first place. My Chateaux is not far. Let us make haste!" he said spurring his horse into a gallop.

Then calling over his shoulder.

"Retrieve my bird and follow on foot! Quickly Francois!"




A horseman's check to keep up.
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 106 posts
Tue 22 Nov 2016
at 04:15
And So It Begins....

 Gerard put spurs to horse and led the Noblemen back to where his small group was located.

23:14, Today: Gerard D'Amberville rolled 1 using 1d20.  Horsemanship roll.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 89 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 04:05
And So It Begins....
Gerard rides like an expert cavalry man who was ready for a campign. The nobleman, whom Gerard easily catches, gives a nod of approval but says nothing as he is clearly looking ahead at the party ahead of them on the road.

As they approach the strange procession and the the nobleman sees the burden that brother Martin carries, he shouts an oath!

"The Baroness de Les Pavements! How bad is she father? Will she live?"
Martin Le Maigre
 NPC, 16 posts
 Benedictine
 Monk
Wed 23 Nov 2016
at 04:05
And So It Begins....
Brother Martin gave the nobleman a bow the best he could, burdened as he was "Monsieur? I am a brother of la Abbaye Saint-Ouen de Rouen. I am a simple monk Monsieur, but I have some small knowledge of medicine. With wounds to the head one may never know but as Monsieur D'Amberville has already said, we must find a place to lay her down... for her to rest. then i may tend her until your own physician arrives."
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 110 posts
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 00:27
And So It Begins....

 As they arrived to the place where Gerard had left his "retinue". the young noble raised an eyebrow when the other named the woman by name. He reigned up and  dismounted.
Comte De Treville
 GM, 91 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 02:33
And So It Begins....
The nobleman waved the monk on and the direction of his Chateaux.

"Carry on! To my Chateaux with all haste that you think prudent. I shall ride ahead and have my servants prepare a room."

He then cocked a brow at Gerard "How did this thing happen? Did you see the accident? Ride with me! I would hear your story Monsieur."
Gerard D'Amberville
 player, 111 posts
Thu 24 Nov 2016
at 04:09
And So It Begins....
 As Gerard rode along with the other noble, he attempted to relate the events of the day.

“My companions and I where on the road to Rouen, when we came upon a barricade made of logs and branches across the road. We became wary at once, since bandits do such things. Before very long, a coach came barreling down the road, at break neck speed. The Diver whipped the horses, not hearing or ignoring our attempts to warn him. He smelled of wine,we latter found out. The coach crashed into the barricade, throwing the driver to his death, and flipped the carriage onto its side."

 Gerard was watching the Nobleman with a sidewise glance, not trusting the man, and wanting to gauge his reactions to Gerard’s tale.

" We removed the Baroness from the coach, and I dispatched her towards your Chateaux, since we spotted figures moving in the trees. Two of us spoke with the rogues that emerged, and denied them access to the carriage. They seemed to have been expecting the Baroness's coach, but seemed not sure if one wrecked was hers. Their spokesmen claimed to be the men of the Baron Les Pavement send for the Baroness.  He lied of course, for they all looked like Rascals.”
Comte De Treville
 GM, 92 posts
 Lieutenant-Captain
 King's Musketeer
Fri 25 Nov 2016
at 05:08
And So It Begins....
The nobleman's features seemed hard and grim as they rode on ahead. Yet, finally he broke the silence as their steeds galloped toward said noble's Chateaux.

"The Baroness was my guest yestereve. She often comes to visit my wife and I. The baron... her husband Les Pavements, is an old man. Their marriage arranged by her father. Le Baron has no children you see. Aimée, La Baroness, gets bored you see. The old man naps more than he is awake and has recently spent much time as a convalescent. Who is to blame her for wanting more pleasing company."

Finally, he nodded and said "You have my thanks Monsieur. Those whom you met were no doubt bandits and the driver of the coach Bertrand was oft in his cups. His death has spared him a beating and mayhaps the rope if she should... " the nobleman's words trailed off as they rode on.