Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 10 posts
Sat 9 Jul 2016
at 16:48
Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
It is the day before the Festival of Fires, an annual event specific to the town of Drochmor in the Wythmoor grav. The festival celebrates a strange gathering of the area's fireflies and an "awesome" (according to the locals) display of swamp gas.

The Grim Work Society, along with a handful of other smaller mercenary companies, has been employed to bolster the town's meager guard population. Although the Festival of Fires is usually limited to Drochmor's residents, this year's celebration has unexpectedly drawn the attention of two prominent nobles - Nathaniel Torcail, grandson to King Baird II himself, and Holden Prees, a cousin of the matriarch of the most prestigious of Ord's merchant houses, House Mateu.

Over the past week, you and the other mercenaries have done work relative to securing the town and keeping the peace. Though not as dangerous as soldiering, nor as exciting as exploration, the labor pays well. Sergeant Donati, the Grimworker heading the Drochmor contingent, even let slip that the contract was signed by the Moorgrave herself.

At the moment, you all find yourselves standing on the side of Drochmor's main thoroughfare, a wide dirt path defined by worn and muddy stones. Other mercenaries are arranged intermittently along the road, all the way from the town's entrance to its center. Behind the rows of hired watchmen are Drochmor's citizens. The majority of the population is of Thurian descent, an anomaly in most of Ord's other gravs, but common in Wythmoor.

Drochmor's residents have gathered in anticipation of the nobles' arrivals and have dressed in their finest clothes, which is to say that there are fewer patches on their shirts, skirts and pants, but patches nonetheless.

The townsfolk's energy and spirits are high, for both nobles represent opportunities rarely provided Drochmor's citizens - Prees could mean business and wealth, whereas Torcail is the son of King Baird's daughter, Princess Sandrea whom married the beloved Thurian Moorgrave, Rogan Torcail. His interest in Drochmor's Festival of Fires stirs the people's Thurian blood, inspiring cultural patriotism that is otherwise frowned upon by Ord's Tordoran majority.



*****


Sergeant Donati flexes the fingers of her gloved hands. Despite the humidity and heat of the early Ordic summer, the woman is garbed in padded armor and a greatcoat, high boots and her usual black leather gloves. Several of the woman's pistols are worn openly today, surely an attempt to ward off trouble before it starts.

"Any time now," she whispers in the Ordic tongue. She looks longingly at the rustic gate and wall of the town's entrance. Suddenly, Donati rounds on all six of you, her elaborate braids snapping like whips behind her. It was common for the Sergeant to appear aloof and uninterested in one minute, and then bark commands the next. "Gulgen! Did you check the gate for bombs? Solvo, keep an eye out for known criminals! Brighteye, do...well...do whatever it is you do!" None of you miss that Aesha, Nastasja and Sigrid receive no similar orders. This too was common.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:51, Sat 09 July 2016.

Graverobber Gulgen
 player, 2 posts
 Male Trollkin
 Alchemist / Field Mechani
Mon 11 Jul 2016
at 16:09
Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
"Yup, twice. If anything blows, it ain't gonna be the gate." The trollkin answered the sergeant lazily. He certainly didn't look like he'd bothered with something as tedious as searching for non-existent bombs. He'd taken a seat on Spark's oversized lantern, and was working a stubborn nick out of the blade of his axe. "Almost a pity- could used the reagents."

Gulgen had had Sparks keep his distance from the crowd, having the 'jack keep it's engine to an idle. It was mostly to keep the clanking monstrosity and it's constant smoke cloud away from the crowd, but close enough to haul itself over if Gulgen suddenly found he needed an eight-foot metal bodyguard. "You expecting some specific trouble, chief? I'd be more worried 'bout rifles than bombs. Bombs take up more room. Tends to be a mite noticeable."
Aesha Vrir
 player, 4 posts
 Female Iosan
 Gun Mage / Investigator
Mon 11 Jul 2016
at 17:23
Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Wrapped in light cloak over fitted leathers with cunningly stitched plates, Aesha's slender figure leaned against a wall.  Her hand never strayed far from the slightly oversized pistol at her hip, which bore elegant script down the barrel in Shyr, worked around the runes and etchings of a magelock pistol.  She was never far from the thing, going so far as to bathe with it (which was a challenging affair, considering that the powder for runeshot is just as vulnerable to moisture as any other).

Having been given no orders, she didn't say anything to her sergeant, instead watching the road intently.

"Only place for rifles is back in the town, and we swept the likely vantages a bit ago.  Ain't seen anyone move there, but we could always check again," she noted.
Grigori Solvo
 player, 8 posts
 Male Ordic Human
 Thief/Bounty Hunter
Mon 11 Jul 2016
at 18:10
Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
"Will do ma'am!" Gregor replied to the sergeant, flashing the older woman a charming smile as he snapped a salute. The young man was dressed in simple clothes underneath armor made of leather and bits of chain. A sword, a pair of knuckledusters, and a couple bolas hung off his belt, a crossbow slung across his back.
Quinn Brighteye
 player, 5 posts
 Male Human
 Stormblade / Warcaster
Thu 14 Jul 2016
at 14:01
Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
"It's called fire support. Not that it should be needed." He readies his Stormglaive and hopes he doesn't need to use it. By all accounts this assignment was turning out to be the most boring yet, which was fine by him. But by god could they have taken an assignment somewhere cooler? This armor was designed to bleed off electricity not heat, unfortunately.
Nastasja Starov
 player, 3 posts
 Female Human
 Sorcerer/Aristocrat
Fri 15 Jul 2016
at 09:32
Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor

Nastasja listens to Sergeant Donati bark orders, and hears the others
respond. Her mind is not entirely there, though, with the fire
festivities coming up, and seeing the citizens’ anticipations of the
soon-to-be-arriving nobles.She is glad to see firsthand that being of
noble birth carries some weight in this region also.

She looks around at the gathered crowd, wearing her custom decorated
plate mail proudly, clearly not bothered by the heat. Her hair remains
loose and wavy around her freckled face, as she scans the crowd and
gradually decides that a birds-eye overview would actually probably be
better.

She approaches Donati and stands next to her, asking: “Say, I’d
like to find some higher ground if I can. Riding a horse would be
awkward in this crowd, but maybe I should get on top of a balcony or
something? That way we’d get a better overview of what happens in the
crowd, and it will be easier to coordinate our guys if anything goes
wrong.

GM
 GM, 13 posts
Tue 19 Jul 2016
at 16:57
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Graverobber Gulgen:
"You expecting some specific trouble, chief? I'd be more worried 'bout rifles than bombs. Bombs take up more room. Tends to be a mite noticeable."


"Somebody is expecting trouble or we wouldn't have been hired, Gulgen. Just keep your eyes out. Rich nobles attract rich enemies. Bombs or rifles, I'd rather not see either."

Nastasja Starov:
She approaches Donati and stands next to her, asking: “Say, I’d like to find some higher ground if I can. Riding a horse would be awkward in this crowd, but maybe I should get on top of a balcony or something? That way we’d get a better overview of what happens in the crowd, and it will be easier to coordinate our guys if anything goes wrong. ”


"Go ahead, Starov. If there's trouble though, I want you down here with your fellow Grimworkers as soon as possible."

Donati relaxes a bit and returns her gaze to the gate. It's just then that the doors of the city's entrance begin to swing inward.

Drochmor's actual watchmen scurry atop the wooden wall, signaling their cohorts below that at least one of the nobles has arrived. In mere minutes (plenty of time for Nastasja to find a fine vantage point), a greater caravan than Drochmor has probably ever hosted is crossing into the city.

A host of foot soldiers, each bearing the symbol of House Mateu, crosses under the wall before a line of a half-dozen wagons. The carriages are so elaborately decorated, covered in filigree and brass trimmings, that you hold no doubt this is the company of Holden Prees.

Horses rivaling those used by Khadoran cavalry pull the tremendous vehicles forward without effort. Prees himself rests atop the lead wagon. A middle-aged man in shining plate armor, more decoration than functional battle attire, he smiles at the crowd with what he must think is grim appreciation, the sort a soldier-hero from a story might greet townsfolk with,  townsfolk that he later saves.

The man's breastplate bears cords upon its shoulders similar to those awarded to naval officers, although they're lustrous like spun gold. Set upon the the plate's left breast is a stylized "M" made from golden merchant scales - the symbol of House Mateu. A pair of ridiculously rich weapons hangs from Press's waist, one a lavish sword and the other a curved dagger, both made of pure silver and likely as useless in war as his armor.

The Mateu procession takes some time to travel to where you all stand. When it does, you take stock of those closest to the merchant. Prees's lady wife sits next to him, far more disinterested than her husband and not trying to hide it at all. Despite the look of disgust, Lady Prees is quite beautiful, and a fair bit younger than Holden. Riding alongside Prees's wagon is a single figure, out of place among the other shows of wealth and military pomp.

The man is clearly quite observant, with trained eyes that scan the crowd and seem to dig into every shadowed alley and doorway. Thin to the point of being frail, the man is dressed in plain robes, with a sharply oiled goatee and long black (although graying) hair. He rests atop a similarly lean horse, showing no expression and remaining close to Prees's carriage. No mark of office, station or allegiance can be seen upon the thin man, but he clearly commands respect being so near to the Mateu representative.

Nastasja, something about the frail man tweaks your memory. You feel as if you have met or seen him before, but the memory/feeling is distant.

The crowd reacts to Prees's arrival with stirred admiration. Your sergeant watches the assembled townsfolk more so than the glamorous noble, pushing a few beggars towards the side of the thoroughfare with little more than a grunt.

"Keep 'em back," Donati growls at the lot of you. "The man is a plain fool riding in on all of that money." Donati keeps her pistols holstered but begins a slow walk up the street, keeping pace with the Mateu wagons.

OOC: Everybody, please make a Detection roll and post the result in your characters' reaction/action posts.
Graverobber Gulgen
 player, 5 posts
 Male Trollkin
 Alchemist / Field Mechani
Sat 23 Jul 2016
at 07:26
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
"Right, so that's a 'nothing specific'." Gulgen drawled, apparently unconcerned. He raised his axe to inspect the edge, frowning as he did so. The nick in the blade was stubborn and deep- it'd take more work to get it out. He supposed it was what he got for bashing the axe against plate armour. "Suppose it's too much to ask fer, a client tell'n us what to expect." He groused as he stood up, sliding the axe back into the loop of his belt.

He scanned the crowd from beneath the rim of his helmet, before stepping away from his seat and whistling sharply. "Sparks! Come fetch! He waited for the clanking metal giant to reach him and collect the massive lantern. "Park yerself here, and run idle. Try and find any unpleasant surprises before they happen." He paused a moment, before opting to shoulder his 'jack wrench as he moved off to herd the crowd away from the nobleman.

OOC: Detection rolls.
17:25, Today: Graverobber Gulgen rolled 12 using 2d6+3 ((4,5)). Playing lookout. (Detection).
17:23, Today: Graverobber Gulgen rolled 9 using 2d6+1 ((6,2)).Sparks is perceptive! Honest! (Detection).
... Might actually spot something with that.

Aesha Vrir
 player, 6 posts
 Female Iosan
 Gun Mage / Investigator
Tue 26 Jul 2016
at 00:04
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Aesha doesn't push people back bodily, but, then again, the thought of sending a whipcord thin Iosan to push people back with physical strength was a bit insane.  Instead, she found herself with pistol in hand, not actually pointing it at anyone, but giving the distinct impression that she's only inches from doing so.

"Back!" she barked in a sharp tone that carried farther than one would expect.

OOC: Going to attempt an Intimidation to keep folks back, whatever stat that is.  And she can reroll the Detection if it fails, because Investigator.

20:02, Today: Aesha Vrir rolled 16 using 2d6+7.  Detection.

Quinn Brighteye
 player, 6 posts
 Male Human
 Stormblade / Warcaster
Tue 26 Jul 2016
at 12:08
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Quinn holds his Storm Glaive across his chest and bodily keeps back any peasants that attempts to pass him with a combination of his armored bulk and the threat of the crackling electricity cascading from his weapon. If any ruffians get to insistent he cows them with a snapped Command. "Stand away citizens let the good folks pass in peace." He says in his gruff voice.


08:03, Today: Quinn Brighteye rolled 14 using 2d6+6.  Detection.
GM
 GM, 17 posts
Sat 30 Jul 2016
at 14:54
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
In reply to Aesha Vrir (msg # 9):

OOC: Aesha, you can make the Intimidation roll using your Poise, since you're using your gun as a tool to flavor the action.

Aesha Vrir
 player, 7 posts
 Female Iosan
 Gun Mage / Investigator
Sat 30 Jul 2016
at 17:40
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
It's only a pistol, but Aesha makes it seem pretty menacing, what with the runes down the side of it and all of that.

OOC: 13:37, Today: Aesha Vrir rolled 13 using 2d6+6 with rolls of 4,3.  Intimidation.

After a bit, though, Aesha drifts to one side a bit.
GM
 GM, 21 posts
Thu 25 Aug 2016
at 21:39
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
The crowd dances back, away from Aesha's pistol and barking command. Some of the townsfolk stare solely at the weapon even as they retreat, having probably never seen such a unique tool.

Donati smiles (only briefly), clearly enjoying the control Aesha exerts over the simple folk, or perhaps, in appreciation of the Iosan's gun.

OOC: This is where Aesha would gain a feat point if she weren't already full.
Aesha Vrir
 player, 12 posts
 Female Iosan
 Gun Mage / Investigator
Sun 28 Aug 2016
at 13:31
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
With the crowd momentarily pushed back, Aesha's pistol doesn't waver, but she moves among her nearest companions.

"There's a man, there, by that lampost," she declares and gives a quick description of him.  "He's following the caravan in a most methodical manner, muttering to himself and wiggling his fingers oddly."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 10:16, Mon 29 Aug 2016.

Graverobber Gulgen
 player, 10 posts
 Male Trollkin
 Alchemist / Field Mechani
Sun 4 Sep 2016
at 06:06
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
"Aw crap." The grease-stained trollkin groused when Aesha brought the man to his attention. "Not much to go on, is it? Can y'tell if he's one of you magic-types? 'Cuz if I go over there and he sets th' street on fire, we're gonna have issues."

The trollkin didn't look at the individual Aesha described, but instead scanned the crowd much as he had been already. "Suppose I could try an' get behind him, clock 'im over the back of th' head if you want..."
Quinn Brighteye
 player, 12 posts
 Male Human
 Stormblade / Warcaster
Tue 6 Sep 2016
at 16:30
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Quinn discreetly joined the conversation, "I saw him too, didn't want to make a move, since I'm a little obvious. Muttering and wiggling sounds like magic. One of you should circle around and confront him. If things go south then rest of us are right here." He pats his crackling stormgalive reassuringly and smiles.
GM
 GM, 28 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2016
at 13:18
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
OOC: private lines to Aesha and Quinn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:18, Sun 09 Oct 2016.

Aesha Vrir
 player, 16 posts
 Female Iosan
 Gun Mage / Investigator
Mon 10 Oct 2016
at 03:12
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Aesha relays another observation.  "He realized I made him and took off.  Might be a good thing, or he might have done whatever he was trying to do."
GM
 GM, 31 posts
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 12:10
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
OOC: Assuming nobody else wants to react.

The Mateu procession just passes you when the guards atop of the gates begin to shout to one another - the Torcail caravan is on their way into town.

Members of Prees's entourage notice the eminent arrival as well, and the group stops short of the town's center. Prees himself stands and turns to face the gate, a smirk upon his face.

The Torcail entrance is far less grand than that of the Mateu relative (OOC: Prees is a cousin of House Mateu's matriarch, for those of you that are newer to the game or have forgotten due to the long breaks between posts.) and is organized more like a military company. Though the rich wagons and fine horses represent far more wealth than most citizens of Drochmor will ever posses, the extravagance of silvered armor and weapons are obviously missing.

Neat columns of cavalry flank the three wagons that bear Torcail's entourage. Riding ahead of the column is a burly man in full (but practical) plate armor. Probably close to 50 years old, the man makes no less of an impression. His stern face, though bearing more than a few wrinkles, is commanding and his gray eyes are piercing. A gruesome Caspian battle blade hangs at his back, and the man seems eager for an excuse to use it.

OOC: You all are able to make an Intellect or Perception check, adding one to your total if you're from Ord or have spent significant time in the nation, to recognize the grizzled soldier at the head of the Torcail column. You're looking for a TN of 11.

Nathaniel Torcail himself is a thin youth no older than 17. His jet black hair is unruly, cast about his head as if a bomb exploded from within his skull. A poor attempt at a goatee grows from Torcail's chin, barely a shadow from where you stand. Foregoing the military opulence of the Mateu representative, Torcail wears a form-fitting jacket of deep purple striped with blood red silk. High black leather boots and loose pants of the same color complete the noble's outfit. It appears that Torcail is unarmed.

OOC: Anybody with the Etiquette skill can make a check to get some more information about Nathaniel Torcail. You're looking for a TN of 10 on the roll.

Torcail stands atop his own wagon as it crosses into Drochmor and begins waving at the crowd. The young noble's face erupts into a simple but charming smile as many of the town's citizens begin to cheer him when his wagon passes. None of you miss the long look Torcail exchanges with his more senior Mateu peer - the smugness is obvious on the youth's face. Prees simply smiles before retaking his seat and ushering his group along.

Sergeant Donati watches the entire affair and grunts. "I didn't realize the Torcail was going to be a pup. Damn kid-nobles are the worst."

After the exchange between Prees and Torcail, both caravans move to Drochmor's center - a rough circle of paved stone with a wide well in the middle. An assortment of lanterns and banners have been strung from the circle's surrounding buildings in preparation of the Festival of Fires, but the decorations pale in comparison to the merchant's and the noble's wagons.

After both honored guests give their thanks to Drochmor for hosting them during the "most important festival," they retire to their respective accommodations.  Prees's entourage goes to work, setting up stalls by their wagons and promising all manner of goods at special "festival prices" while the Torcails watch with obvious cynicism from the opposite half of the town's center.

"Well," Donati growls, "that was uneventful. How about you all work the crowd and keep the peace? Make sure there's no trouble between the nobles, and for Morrow's sake, make sure the Mateus aren't robbing these poor people blind."

OOC: I am giving you all some time to do whatever you may want within the town. The Mateu stalls sell pretty much anything other than military grade armor and weapons. Drochmor itself is a small town but its quite active at the moment due to the festival. The local tavern, the Tall Hart, has set up a number of beer tents, while local farmers and hunters offer food to passersby at no cost. Other mercenaries from your competing (or rather, cooperative given the situation) companies also mill about the town, most of them focusing their efforts on the city's center and the wealthy guests therein.

If you'd all rather just move the story forward, we'll cut to the evening when the Festival of Fires kicks off. Just say the word.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:22, Wed 12 Oct 2016.

Quinn Brighteye
 player, 16 posts
 Male Human
 Stormblade / Warcaster
Wed 12 Oct 2016
at 13:08
Re: Donard 5th, Rowen 608 A.R. - Drochmor
Quinn watches the procession come in and stands surprised as nothing has gone wrong yet. He makes his way over to Aesha "Any bright ideas on how we can figure out what that suspicious character was up to. It might be too much to hope that he was just a cut purse with nobles in town. I figure he was either a scout, watching the procession so he could inform some other trouble makers of when the caravan showed up, or he is on his own but saw that we noticed him. Either way I think he'll be back. I'm going to at least give a description to the caravan guards, on horses they should have a better view of the crowd than we do on foot."


Success 08:47, Today: Quinn Brighteye rolled 13 using 2d6+4.  Perception.
Failure 08:49, Today: Quinn Brighteye rolled 9 using 2d6+4.  Etiquette.