Day 2: Back into Quesqueton.   Posted by The Seer.Group: 0
Zan
 player, 173 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Fri 27 Oct 2017
at 15:43
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
The Seer:
Zan's search denotes something in or near the fire pit, where sit the two cauldrons.


Zan will examine the two cauldrons, he will have his sword ready just in case.

Then rest to regain another spell.
The Seer
 GM, 444 posts
Sat 28 Oct 2017
at 16:27
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Zan approaches the cauldron. It appears empty, though beneath is a glow that seems to emanate from the ashes. It is an odd visual. The pit itself is about 4' in diameter.

ooc: just a reminder: 1 wand, 1 ring, two potions are what you have discovered in the two rooms for the nonce.
Myrrick
 player, 140 posts
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 01:58
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Myrrick continues practicing with his new weapon, while the others examine the items they'd discovered.
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 225 posts
 Fighter
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 02:47
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
I have updated post #393 as I forgot about the cauldron and the fire pit.

"Take care Zan, nothing here is as it appears.Ē

The dwarf moves from foot to foot as he expertly spins his great axe in his hands ready to swip at anything that might appear.

Uthecar may not know what is gong on at the fire pit but he would still stand at the ready since it has not yet been inspected.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:57, Mon 30 Oct 2017.

The Seer
 GM, 446 posts
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 16:17
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
ooc: so I may have messed up: input is needed.

Is the glow from a detect magic spell visible to all characters, or just the caster?

I think it's the latter, in which case Uthecar would not see the glow...sorry for the mess up.

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "DOH!"
Zan
 player, 174 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 17:45
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Knowing it goes against his training, Zan will try on the ring, to see if he can tell what properties it may possess.

OOC: Zan will help keep Uthecar in the know.

"Yeah, I'm starting to come to the same conclusion as well friend.  There is a magical glow around the caldrons but upon closer examination, it is not the caldrons but something in the ashes below the caldrons.  Uthecar, you think you can help with moving these caldrons out of the way so we can have a better look"


Once the caldrons have successfully been removed, Zan will use a stick of wood or some sort of poker to sift through the ashes.  (if nothing else he will use one of his arrows)

This message was last edited by the player at 17:48, Mon 30 Oct 2017.

Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 226 posts
 Fighter
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 20:50
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Uthecar will lift the cauldron(s) well out of Zanís way, placing it (them) on the floor away from the pit.  He will test they arenít hot before grabbing it (them) out.
The Seer
 GM, 447 posts
Mon 30 Oct 2017
at 23:33
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
The cauldrons are heavy, but manageable for the burly dwarf. Zan approaches and studies the ash.


Beyond, Myrrick is still practicing the forms. He is laughing, amazed at the light weight of the weapon.

Bruno and Kullonar keep their shared eyes on Weasel, who appears disinterested in what's going on around him.
The Seer
 GM, 448 posts
Mon 6 Nov 2017
at 23:02
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Noting the two priests's furtive glances, Weasel says, "What? I just nearly died...twice. You want I should stand and dance some shim-sham for ya?"

To Zan, he shouts, "What didya find, already?"
Zan
 player, 175 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 05:26
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
OOC: sorry somehow I didn't notice the post.  Dam, I'm gonna check it everyday to the end of the year

Zan will finish sifting through the ash revealing what he has found to the other, he will use a shovel or scoop to help retrieve what is in the ashes.

He announces his discoveries so far, "Now mind you these are a best guess, the ring has a feather inscribed upon it which would let me think it has something to do with floating or flying.  This wand has a slash about an inch long upon it. The magic that a magic wand can possess varies, from more common magic like the sleep spell that I can cast, too much more powerful things that only archmages are capable of.  Without a better idea of what it is capable of, I'm not willing to risk our lives if it turns out being capable of casting a fireball or something similar.  I would think that we need to be out in the open for me to try and activate it."

If there is another room that Zan can safely aim and activate the wand into that is a possible option.  Zan will walk over to the entrance of an empty room that has already been explored or a long hallway and attempt to activate the wand.  He warns everyone to stand clear as he is unsure of the results.  Pointing the wand he will select a point thirty feet down and try to will it to attack that point, he will also try several activation words, Slash, Ash, Dash, Emery, Ginger, Cracker, Whiskey, Fire, Engage, Obliterate.  He will scrap his finger along the dash to see if that will activate it.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:48, Tue 07 Nov 2017.

Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 186 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Tue 7 Nov 2017
at 18:46
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
The Seer:
Noting the two priests's furtive glances, Weasel says, "What? I just nearly died...twice. You want I should stand and dance some shim-sham for ya?"

To Zan, he shouts, "What didya find, already?"


Bruno raises an eye, clearly skeptical when the thief shouts to Zan, "If you've got the strength to shout like that, you've got the strength to get on your feet."

Otherwise, if the Holy water making is done and his prayers prayed and spells refreshed, etc. he cleans his weapons and waits to see what comes from everyone else's researches.
Zan
 player, 178 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Wed 8 Nov 2017
at 19:07
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Zan couldn't help but smirk at Bruno giving weasle that what for.
The Seer
 GM, 450 posts
Thu 9 Nov 2017
at 15:29
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
The party is in the northern room. Zan makes his way to the door to the southern chamber they but recently explored.

Taking aim at the southern wall some fifty feet away, he points the wand and flicks his wrist and says, "Windgardium Leviosa."

A bright greenish-yellow bolt of light flies from the tip and flashes before disappearing in a mini explosion. A black scorch mark stains the wall where it hit.


Zan pulls what appears to be a small tome from the ash in the pit. It is in remarkably good shape, though that may be an affect of the ash protecting the cover and bindings. The cover is unadorned, offering no hint as to its purpose.
Zan
 player, 179 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 16:49
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
"I think I have a fairly good idea of what the wand is capable of"


Retrieving the book from the ashes Zan looked at it with some interest, "This book radiates magic"  He dusted it off and then blow clear what remaining ashes that he could.  He flipped the tome over and examined it further, for any marking or runes that might indicate it's possible use.  "Now why would someone put a tome in the ashes, they would either be trying to hide it or burn it."

Walking over to the nearest table he set the book down on its edge with the pages facing up and slowly opened the book

This message was last edited by the player at 16:56, Fri 10 Nov 2017.

Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 187 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 19:04
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Bruno wanders over to the pit where Zan found the book, "If the book itself doesn't appear burned it was probably tossed in here to be hidden...

"Unless its magic nature protected it?"

The Seer
 GM, 451 posts
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 19:09
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
There are no runes written on the front or back cover...that you can see.
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 228 posts
 Fighter
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 19:14
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
"Sounds dangerous, let's burn it to see if it is destroyed." Uthecar calls out from where he stands guard.  There is a hint of mirth in his voice, as if he is just trying to wind those who may be more studious up.
Zan
 player, 180 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Fri 10 Nov 2017
at 19:19
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
"Well this would not exactly be my first choice to find out the contents of the book, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do."

Zan walked over to the nearest table set the book down on its spine with the pages facing upward and slowly opened the book, revealing its pages.
Myrrick
 player, 141 posts
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 04:44
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Myrrick watched intently as Zan experimented with the items.
The Seer
 GM, 453 posts
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 19:33
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
As Zan opens the 12" x 6" x 1" book, a smile crosses his face.
The Seer
 GM, 454 posts
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 19:37
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
You guys can continue to roleplay a bit. Zan's got some updates and casting to do to figure out some of the items.

Once that's done, we'll be pushing forward in a new thread. Some XP updates recently - in addition, I'll be rewarding some good roleplay.
Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 188 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 20:28
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Bruno knows something of tomes given his clerical training, but nothing of wizardry. When the smile crosses Zan's face he takes a step forward  curiously, "Well? Don't tell us that Zelligar left behind a book of jokes?"
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 230 posts
 Fighter
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 22:07
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Uthecar returns to looking outward from the room given Zan wasn't turned into a toad or cursed with exploding pox spots when the ash covered tome was opened.
Kullonar
 player, 129 posts
 Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter
 Brother of the Cudgel
Sat 11 Nov 2017
at 23:51
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Kullonar pulls a small flask out of his hip pocket and takes a draw on it. Savoring the whiskey as it rolls down his throat, he corks the flask and returns it to his pocket. He walks over to the ashes and pokes through them and then joins Zan and Bruno. "Perhaps it is a journal of some sort. The owner may have been trying to burn it so its contents wouldn't be discovered. Let's take a look see."
Zan
 player, 181 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Gray Elf AC:4 HP:5(13)
Sun 12 Nov 2017
at 05:09
Re: Day 2: Back into Quesqueton
Zan flips through the pages of the book his grin growing ever wider as he does.  "I've heard about these kinds of books,  normally they are the properties of mages of some renown."  He looks up from the book and to the others before realizing that they wouldn't have a clue.  "This is no book of jokes, is coveted by mages, especially ones that travel because of its size.  And it already has some spells within it.  Remeber I was telling you that I didn't have the proper spell to be able to really tell what the magical item was capable of. " He smiled and flipped the book to a page with mystical writing on it. "This is the needed spell, with this and a bit of time I can determine what each of the magical items are." Zan flipped through all of the pages to see if there were any journal entries as Kullonar sugessted

Assuming that everyone gives him the additional time.

Zan examines the items in more detail using the new found spells, "This potion when consumed will provide healing, the other potion when consumed will make the person invisible for a time.  The ring is one of feather falling, when worn and you were to find yourself falling you would find yourself floating like a feather to the ground below.  The wand can cast magical missiles.  Can give us some additional firepower in a time of need"