Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I.   Posted by The Seer.Group: 0
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 121 posts
 Fighter
Thu 9 Mar 2017
at 23:06
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"Aiiii lad, it wouldn't'ave been good to lose you at the first encounter." Uthecar continues the thought to Weasel.  "Best you stick close and don't let things bite and claw you until we know what you're dealing with.  Those that live but are dead are abominations to the world."

Uthecar takes the lead walking with his great axe in hand as he looks around at the old guard house for signs of disturbance when they draw near to where they left the day before.
Myrrick
 player, 87 posts
Fri 10 Mar 2017
at 16:51
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick stares off into space blankly while the others chat.
Kullonar
 player, 57 posts
 Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter
 Brother of the Cudgel
Sun 12 Mar 2017
at 18:06
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Kullonar looks around at his companions and asks, "So, what's the plan?"
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 122 posts
 Fighter
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 01:02
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"I pull the spikes out of the floor of the door we jammed, and we have at them again, a little wiser."  Uthecar trudges forward towards the door.

OOC:  Not sure if we're waiting on an 'insight' post from the Seer, but if not Uthecar will do as he says, unspiking the door and again entering the tunnels.
The Seer
 GM, 231 posts
Mon 13 Mar 2017
at 02:14
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Despite their overwhelming defeat, those of you with ideas feel like there is some method to the gobblers madness, almost as if a real defense was put in place. It seems the ghoul who chowed on Weasel was ravenous - not that ghouls aren't always ravenous, but one would think with gobblers around, there'd be some easy pickins (Gollum, Gollum).

Also unremarked at the first entry into the keep: bushes and undergrowth were sorely lacking around the main entrance to the keep.
Zan
 player, 107 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray | AC:4 HP:5
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 22:17
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"You know, something just occurred to me.  The entrance was fairly easy to find.  What if those crafty goblins set it up for us to do just that.  I mean if I had a place that I didn't want people to come, I would have done something to make the door hidden or at least harder to find.  How about we do a look about and see if those little buggers have another entrance?"
Weasel
 player, 32 posts
 Hardbitten busboy by day
 Scared lad by night
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 22:56
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"Maybe it's not that they're trying not to hide the entrance.  Maybe it's just that they don't care if someone finds the entrance.  For all we can tell, they're bottled up pretty good, and we didn't see no signs of a back door.  Makes ya wonder how deep this fortress goes, don't it?"
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 123 posts
 Fighter
Tue 14 Mar 2017
at 22:58
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar looks at Zan as if awakening to the fact that the elf might actually know a thing or two about the mannerisms of goblins.

"Hammers and tongs, that's just what the crafty little gobbers would do too.  Set others up for grief just for the giggles they'd get from it.  Shall we check around the guard house thoroughly before we head into the maw once more?"
Myrrick
 player, 88 posts
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 01:45
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick nodded, It couldn't hurt to spend a few minutes looking around the guard house."
Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 95 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 14:56
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Bruno considers the elf's insight, "Well... Alternatively, how could they hide the main entrance to this fortress? Being a great fortress it is purposefully big, is it not?

"Good point, though. I had not considered that they might actually have a separate way in and out. I too agree that this bears investigation."

Kullonar
 player, 58 posts
 Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter
 Brother of the Cudgel
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 01:29
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
"So, what are we doing?" Kullonar says, ready to move out. None of these ideas were his, so he's just waiting, albeit somewhat impatiently, to be told what to do.
The Seer
 GM, 232 posts
Thu 16 Mar 2017
at 22:10
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
OOC: Just to clarify: you get the sense the fortress is huge, but this entrance appears to lead directly into the heights above you. You don't get a sense of exterior battlements looming above, just natural mountain tops.

The party spends a few minutes about the watch tower, quickly conclude that the decrepit state of the old lookout is in direct contrast to what they discovered within Quesqueton proper.

Do you wish to continue searching the watchtower and it's surrounds?
The Seer
 GM, 233 posts
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 00:46
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Hullo?
Myrrick
 player, 89 posts
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 02:02
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick will give the tower area one more quick look, before suggesting they head back down and start back into the door they found originally.
Zan
 player, 108 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray | AC:4 HP:5
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 12:01
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Zan will go back and examine the watch tower once more, checking to make sure that there was nothing that was overlooked the first time.  "Ginger be a lov and give this tower a top down looking over."

"If you recall the last time the the goblin bolted from the tower and for the door down the pathway.  We were able to bring him down before he was able to make it to the door.  There has to be something that we are overlooking"


Zan will search for anything concealed or hidden.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:58, Tue 21 Mar.

Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 96 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Tue 21 Mar 2017
at 15:04
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Before Zan moved to recon Bruno had looked at both he and Uthecar expectantly when they moved to the tower.

When Zan and Ginger begin to investigate he stands ready with his crossbow.
The Seer
 GM, 235 posts
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 19:50
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
The tower is still empty, still has a hole in the roof. Nothing has changed since your arrival the previous day.

The party makes it's way back to the front door. Thieves check, find that the locks and the trap have been reset.

I'll give a freebie on the lock, but whomever checks the door has to roll to remove the trap (you know where the trap is, so you don't have to 'find' it again).
Zan
 player, 109 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray | AC:4 HP:5
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 20:59
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Zan works at removing the trap, "Still get this odd feeling that we are overlooking some obvious"




15:57, Today: Zan rolled 84 using 1d100.  remove trap.
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 124 posts
 Fighter
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 21:10
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar nods in agreement as Zan addresses the door.  "Locked to keep creatures out, or locked to keep creatures in? he wonders aloud as Zan works the trap.

"Should we look a little harder to see what else is around, or just head in again?  Goblins don't usually co-exist with undead, this just don't add up."



OOC:  Are there any telltale goblin trails around this whole area Seer?  Do any lead off away from the structures?  How is the mountainside to climb to see if there are any other entrances?  I would have thought Ginger might have reported on anything of significance seen from the air, so my line of thought might just be a waste of time, which doesn't need to be pursued if it is.
Bruno Rhunthane
 player, 97 posts
 Fighter and Cleric
 AllAtTheSameTime
Fri 24 Mar 2017
at 21:42
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Bruno stands ready as Zan deals with the trap. He too was frustrated that their extra reconnaissance led to nothing.

In reply to Uthecar, "They do if their master commands undead as well. This place is rife with cursed magic..." he trails off as he scans the area suspiciously.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:11, Sat 25 Mar.

Kullonar
 player, 59 posts
 Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter
 Brother of the Cudgel
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 00:22
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Kullonar waits patiently while gnawing on a strip of jerky.
Myrrick
 player, 90 posts
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 02:57
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Myrrick grips his sword, waiting, he checks for traps too and finds nothing.


22:54, Today: Myrrick rolled 41 using 1d100.  find traps... beat 20.
Uthecar Hornskin II
 player, 125 posts
 Fighter
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 03:51
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Uthecar growls under his breath at the thought of cursed magic that Bruno mentions.

With the door unlocked and the trap neutralized he will push the door open ready to lead in, battle axe ready.
Zan
 player, 110 posts
 Slight of Hand Mage
 Elf of Gray | AC:4 HP:5
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 05:14
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Ginger had taken up a pirched position on the highest point of the tower while the group made their way to th door.
The Seer
 GM, 239 posts
Sat 25 Mar 2017
at 14:11
Re: Act 2: In Search of the Unknown Part I
Weasel's prior effort of removing the trap on this door apparently pays off: he is successful once again!

A young man, he seems a bit embarrassed by his effort, sheepishly opening the door and allowing the folks with the big armor and bigger weapons to precede him.