Act I: Prison Break.   Posted by DM Dread.Group: 0
Lukasz Alazario
 Human Cleric, 40 posts
Thu 8 Jun 2017
at 23:09
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Lukasz mostly remained silent as the group trudged through the muck, focusing his efforts on keeping up with the group and slowing his breath. At Victor's and Maria's discussion, the former barrister responded, "I agree that it is a bit more inconvenient, but a word is a word and to be held to that word honors the Lord of Contracts." Falling in the middle of the group somewhere, Lukasz has his borrowed mace out as the group pushed on.
Victor Brice
 Human Rogue, 149 posts
 Path of The Vampire
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 01:47
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Victor has no response he wishes to offer to the group, and instead just puts a little more distance between himself and the rest of the party. (Victor will keep 20 ft between him and the others)

Traveling ahead of the rest, the naturally brooding thief sulks as he stealth-fully moves through the swamp keeping a keen eye, and sharp senses alert to any approaching or waiting dangers.

As victor works his way through the swamp he ponders his present situation. He can't figure out what is wrong with this group of people he's presently traveling with. The worst part of the whole situation is the two people in the group that he feels kinship with are the two he's having the biggest problem with. Why would Tomas or Maria ever think that he would go against their thoughts or plans, and kill some one they have chosen to spare. He did not do it at the prison, and then the way Maria spoke to him basically threatening him. Hell he could have unlocked his shackles walked over to the wall put the window on it climbed out, and just swam away. Yet he chose to stay, unlock everyone and all the doors, so everyone could arm then selves, chase down and stop the guard that got away. Hell he even stayed and help fight after he had climbed over the gate and could have just vanished into shadows. Victor forces these thought's from his mind and concentrates on the job of getting every one safely to the manor house. he would have time to mull over his situation later.

20:47, Today: Victor Brice rolled 25 using 1d20+8. Perception scanning as we move through the swamp.
20:46, Today: Victor Brice rolled 26 using 1d20+10. stealth moving through the swamp.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:49, Fri 09 June 2017.

Ariq Dulaque
 Human Mesmerist, 76 posts
 Path of the Vampire
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 01:50
Re: Act I: Prison Break
"He means the ones he forgot to go back and murder when we followed his orders to head out quickly, not the ones we had dealings with.  He can pretend it's our fault for sparing the two that were locked up, but really it was the ones we all forgot."  Said Ariq as he continued trudging along.
Renard D'Vonis
 Human Arcanist, 178 posts
 Path of the Lich
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 02:59
Re: Act I: Prison Break
"I'm with Maria on this. Doing good business is just...good. Doing bad business is just...bad. The fact of the matter is that holding oneself to standards is what separates the wheat from the chaff." he said.

He looks at Ariq.

"Now don't get me wrong though...I've been getting along with him pretty well so far, and I intend to continue to do so. I do agree with you, though - it probably wasn't the servants. We must have missed some guards somewhere." he said, trudging along as well.

"But as temperamental as I've seen him be so far, he's also been highly competent overall. Enough so in my opinion that it more than makes up for his feistiness. I think he's one of those types that's misunderstood but means well. In a sort of assassin-like sort of way. mind you." he added with a chuckle.
Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 175 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Fri 9 Jun 2017
at 03:21
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Tomas stifled a laugh at Renard's joke. "What's done is done. Victor is right in that we should have killed everyone in the prison in the first place, but once we offered the cooks their lives, there was no going back on the offer. We may all be criminals, but if we can't trust each other then we should all go our separate ways."

His hands were still empty and his right hand kept sliding up to his shoulder, underneath the chain shirt he was wearing and scratching. Something really didn't feel right.
DM Dread
 GM, 319 posts
 Storyteller
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 06:06
Re: Act I: Prison Break
22:38, Today: DM Dread rolled 26 using 1d20+7.  monsters stealth roll.

Victor lead the group through the swamp carefully at times going up to their waists into the fetid water. other times staying well out of it on raised hillocks. It was  slow going and in the distance the ever present lights bobbing as torches and lanterns were being used in the search. Hounds baying at some scent they had picked up on the air or on some foliage. 2 hours into the trek as the party was moving along a small ridge of land in the swamp and quick as can be 3 frogs the size of pony's rose out of the water dangerously close to the group and 3 tongues darted out of their mouths trying to ensnare Maria, Ariq and Lukasz and wrapped around all three of them and began to pull them closer to the monstrous frogs.

Maria, Ariq and Lukasz are grappled A grappled creature is restrained by a creature, trap, or effect. Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler’s CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity.

A grappled creature cannot use Stealth to hide from the creature grappling it, even if a special ability, such as hide in plain sight, would normally allow it to do so. If a grappled creature becomes invisible, through a spell or other ability, it gains a +2 circumstance bonus on its CMD to avoid being grappled, but receives no other benefit.

Casting Spells while Grappled/Grappling: The only spells which can be cast while grappling or pinned are those without somatic components and whose material components (if any) you have in hand. Even so, you must make a concentration check (DC 10 + the grappler’s CMB + the level of the spell you’re casting) or lose the spell.



Map: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aptb6Vt5lI7mmErucyRgJYAIHcZO


Combat Summary
Tomas Barca AC:17 (T-13/FF-14)CMD:17 HP:12/12 FO:+3 RE:+2 WL:+1
1st Fighter Human Male  (Path of The Lycan I) Defensive Abilities: N/A

Renard D'Vonis AC:12 (T-12/FF-10)CMD:12 HP:7/7 FO:+0 RE:+2 WL:+4
1st Arcanist Human Male Defensive Abilities: N/A
Arcane Spell Reservoir: 4/4

Lukasz Alazario Grappled AC:17 (T-11/FF-16)CMD:13 HP:8/8 FO:+2 RE:+1 WL:+6
1st Cleric  Human Male  Defensive abilities: Copycat 7/7

Victor Brice AC:14 (T-14/FF-10)CMD:14 HP:9/9 FO:+1 RE:+6 WL:+2
1st Rogue Human Male [Path of The Vampire I] Defensive Abilities:N/A

Maria Barca AC:17 Grappled (T-13/FF-14)CMD:15 HP:13/13 FO:+3 RE:+5 WL:+0
1st Swashbuckler Dhampir Female  Defensive Abilities:+2 vs Disease/Mind Affecting,
Resist Energy Drain, Negative Energy Heals, Panache:4/5

Ariq Dulaque Grappled AC:16 (T-12/FF-14) CMD:15 HP:9/2 FO:+0 RE:+4 WL:+2
1st Mesmerist [Spirit Walker] Human Male  [Path of the Vampire I] Defensive Abilities: n/a
Mesmerist Tricks 5/2

Grumblejack Poisoned ST:16 AC:13 (T-11/FF-12)CMD:(17)15 HP:15/6 FO:+6 RE:+1 WL:+1
1st Bloodrager Ogre Male Large

vs

Giant Frogs (x3) AC:12 (T-11/FF-11)CMD:14 (Trip-18) HP:19/19,19/19,19/19 FO:+6 RE:+6 WL:-1
Medium Animal
Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 176 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 09:44
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Tomas wastes no time running forward and drawing the massive greatsword at the same time. He slashes down cleaving into the body of the pony-sized frog.

OOC: 05:42, Today: Tomas Barca rolled 11 using 2d6+6.  Damage.
05:42, Today: Tomas Barca rolled 12 using 1d20+7.  Charge pony-sized toad.
Updated: Move - charging to F14

This message was last edited by the player at 22:49, Tue 13 June 2017.

Ariq Dulaque
 Human Mesmerist, 77 posts
 Path of the Vampire
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 12:58
Re: Act I: Prison Break
In vain, Ariq attempted to free himself from the giant tongue.  Seeing little else he could do, he fixed the creature with his gaze and drew his mace.

OOC:
08:56, Today: Ariq Dulaque rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  Attempt to escape grapple.
Frog on Ariq is being stared at -> +1 to first damage on it, and it has -2 to will saves.

Renard D'Vonis
 Human Arcanist, 181 posts
 Path of the Lich
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 22:24
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Renard decided that he needed to think tactically. He didn't have the mystical energy left to really go all out, nor the right spell preparation right now. However, he was able to hinder enemies, and in doing so better enable his allies.

With that line of thought, and the fact that the frogs were hopefully too busy trying to get dinner than think about little 'ol Renard, the arcanist decided to try and weaken the frog trying to eat Maria, since if he could help her get free easier she'd be a valuable combat asset physically.

Renard circled around the frogs, and walked up behind ideally or to the side otherwise the frog that was "tounging" Maria, and he reached out and touched it with an open hand. A slight dark shimmer surrounded his hand that faded quickly when he touched the frog.

ooc: Ren is moving to touch the frog attacking Maria, and casting touch of Fatigue on it. I may be able to automatically touch it since it may need to hold still to maintain its grapple, but I'll roll just in case.

17:13, Today: Renard D'Vonis rolled 9 using 1d20.  touch of fatigue attack roll.

This is 11 if his dex factors into this. Possibly more since he might get flanking bonuses from tomas. I'm still hoping you rule the frog is holding still though. IF you rule the touch happens, then the DC is 16 since it's a necromancy spell.

If the save fails, the frog is FATIGUED.

Lukasz Alazario
 Human Cleric, 42 posts
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 00:22
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Surprise quickly shifts to panic as the frog's slimy tongue wraps around Lukasz mid-section, pinning his mace wielding arm. He is quick to react however, instead of attempting to break free from the toads that stood larger than he did, he uses his free hand to raise the symbol of Asmodeus and chants, "My lord Patron of Contracts, punish these foul swamp dwellers for keeping your servant from his mission! Have them quiver before your cunning and power!"  Suddenly, negative energy washes the area around the grappled cleric. It was only through his force of personality that the former barrister was able to create pockets unaffected by this wave to protect him and many of his fellow escapees.

As the negative energy washes over two of the frogs, the skin seems to crack and dry up as oozing gashes seems to form on the giant frog's green skin.

Standard Action: channel energy in a 30ft radius. Selective channeling to protect himself, Ariq, Tomas, and Renard from the negative energy. DC 15 Will save on the frogs grappling Ariq and Lukasz.
20:12, Today: Lukasz Alazario rolled 12,10 using 1d20-3,1d20-3.  Will Save to reduce damage.

On failure, both frogs take:
20:17, Today: Lukasz Alazario rolled 6 using 1d6.  Negative energy damage. 6 damage each and are shaken for one round.

Maria Barca
 Dhampir Swashbuckler, 141 posts
 Panache 3/5
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 01:59
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Maria let out a curse in Necril as she got grappled by the frog and she immediately started to try and break free from the enemy.

OOC:

Full Action: Escape artist to break free from the grapple, spending 1 panache on the Derring Do(Ex:) deed to add 1d6 to the roll. 14 total. Break free and then 5 foot step to Square F8

03:58, Today: Maria Barca rolled 13,1 using 1d20+7,1d6 with rolls of 6,1.  Escape Artist to escape grapple with Derring Do die added.

Victor Brice
 Human Rogue, 150 posts
 Path of The Vampire
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 02:20
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Spinning Victor drops to one knee, his bow appearing in his hands arrow ready as if by magic. the arrow strikes it's target high across on the creatures back, leaving a deep furrow on it's back.
21:16, Today: Victor Brice rolled 2 using 1d6+1. Damage to frog.
21:15, Today: Victor Brice rolled 12 using 1d20+4. To hit AC 12.

Grumblejack
 Ogre Bloodrager, 90 posts
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 04:10
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Grumblejack tries to back up the nearest of his allies who has been seized by the frogs with a thrust of his makeshift spear..

OOC:
12:09, Today: Grumblejack rolled 10 using 2d6+7.  Damage.
12:09, Today: Grumblejack rolled 21 using 1d20+3.  Attack roll (-1 PA).
12:08, Today: Grumblejack rolled 9 using 1d20+1.  Initiative.

DM Dread
 GM, 322 posts
 Storyteller
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 15:30
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Tomas rushed the Giant Frog holding Lukasz plunging into knee deep water as he stopped before it and brought his greatsword down onto its back, slicing heavily mottled skin sleek with the fetid water.

Ariq squirmed in the frogs grasp and stared at its bulbous eyes...it blinked once under the intensity.

Renard wanted desperately to get to the Giant Frog attacking Maria, but just couldnt get there fast enough to use his magic , so he opted to go to the one near Ariq for now. sorry couldnt reach it with movement.  08:17, Today: DM Dread rolled 18 using 1d20+6.  fort save from renards magic dc 16.---remember youre supposed to roll saves so everyone knows effect as round advances. but when his hand glowing black touched the slimy frog, the creature pulled away and the magic dissipated before it reached its brain.

A burst of black energy erupted from Lukasz and seemed to move around his allies but struck the two frogs. which seemed to pale visibly from its effects. the two frogs immediately released their prey as they were shaken with fear...and were only animals after all.

Maria twisted and squirmed with a unique style that would have been admired if everyone could see it and managed to slip out of the tongues grasp and side step

Victors arrows scraped along the giant frogs back doing minor damage but injuring it none the less.

Grumblejack turned and rushed the frog that had attacked Maria and pierced it with his spear ending in the side firmly.

so fierce was the assault that the frogs all turned to flee

tomas and grumblejack get attacks of opportunity if they wish, though if they do not effectively combat is over..well done.




Combat Summary
Tomas Barca AC:17 (T-13/FF-14)CMD:17 HP:12/12 FO:+3 RE:+2 WL:+1
1st Fighter Human Male  (Path of The Lycan I) Defensive Abilities: N/A

Renard D'Vonis AC:12 (T-12/FF-10)CMD:12 HP:7/7 FO:+0 RE:+2 WL:+4
1st Arcanist Human Male Defensive Abilities: N/A
Arcane Spell Reservoir: 4/4

Lukasz Alazario Grappled AC:17 (T-11/FF-16)CMD:13 HP:8/8 FO:+2 RE:+1 WL:+6
1st Cleric  Human Male  Defensive abilities: Copycat 7/7

Victor Brice AC:14 (T-14/FF-10)CMD:14 HP:9/9 FO:+1 RE:+6 WL:+2
1st Rogue Human Male [Path of The Vampire I] Defensive Abilities:N/A

Maria Barca AC:17 Grappled (T-13/FF-14)CMD:15 HP:13/13 FO:+3 RE:+5 WL:+0
1st Swashbuckler Dhampir Female  Defensive Abilities:+2 vs Disease/Mind Affecting,
Resist Energy Drain, Negative Energy Heals, Panache:4/5

Ariq Dulaque Grappled AC:16 (T-12/FF-14) CMD:15 HP:9/2 FO:+0 RE:+4 WL:+2
1st Mesmerist [Spirit Walker] Human Male  [Path of the Vampire I] Defensive Abilities: n/a
Mesmerist Tricks 5/2

Grumblejack Poisoned ST:16 AC:13 (T-11/FF-12)CMD:(17)15 HP:15/6 FO:+6 RE:+1 WL:+1
1st Bloodrager Ogre Male Large

vs

Giant Frogs (x3) AC:12 (T-11/FF-11)CMD:14 (Trip-18) HP:19/7,19/13,19/2 FO:+6 RE:+6 WL:-1 will take +1 damage at the first strike to it. shaken
Medium Animal

A shaken character takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. Shaken is a less severe state of fear than frightened or panicked.
Renard D'Vonis
 Human Arcanist, 184 posts
 Path of the Lich Wannabe
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 16:43
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Renard falls back as the frogs retreat.

"Well ladies and gentlemen...congratulations on not becoming frog food." Renard said with a grin.

"I say we leave the beasts be. Maybe they'll help throw off pursuers and such. But we should get to the manor now - we're almost there. I hope then we'll have a chance to rest and regroup." he said.

ooc: I vote we transition to the manor scene.
Lukasz Alazario
 Human Cleric, 43 posts
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 18:03
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Though now slime covered, on top of sweaty, drenched and muck-covered, a look of satisfaction spreads across Lukasz' face. "Indeed, if the display of power is any indication, we are still on a path amenable to my lord patron. Let us do out best to keep on it," Lukasz comments. "Especially it that path leads to somewhere we can rest away from biting insects, marshy water and pony-sized frogs." With that, he hefts his mace once again as he looks to Victor to lead the way through the marsh.
Ariq Dulaque
 Human Mesmerist, 78 posts
 Path of the Vampire
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 18:50
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Ariq cast a quick spell to clean his garments of the goopy frog slime.  Once finished, he agreed with his compatriots and nodded, "Onward, then."
Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 177 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 20:10
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Tomas was satisfied with the blow he'd delivered and let the frog he'd hit flee with its life. There was no need to kill a creature like that. Today.

He nodded to the others and waited for the group to get back on the road.
DM Dread
 GM, 329 posts
 Storyteller
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 22:37
Re: Act I: Prison Break
It was a few more hours of grueling travel before the convicts reached the manor house. It was a strange sight to be seen rising out of the swamp. White washed walls with marble columns supporting a roof think with drooping branches of wheeping willow trees above a quaint veranda.

A spiked wrought iron fence around the base of the hillock the manor sat on surrounded it. One side of the gate was across an overgrown dirt trail,a testimony that it wasn't well travelled. The other side was open invitingly in the foggy early morning.

Fatigue was overriding caution as the band approached the manor. In the last 36 hours the group had been sentenced, beaten, branded, escaped under heavy combat and been pushing through the night just slightly ahead of the patrols in hot pursuit.....

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:41, Wed 14 June 2017.

Victor Brice
 Human Rogue, 152 posts
 Path of The Vampire
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 02:52
Re: Act I: Prison Break
As they approach The gate Victor raises a closed fist, signaling the group to stop, He points at himself then his eyes, then makes a circular motion with his hand in the air, To let the rest know he wanted to look around before they just rush in.


Exhausted, cold, wet and aching all over, Victor approaches the gate, all most stumbling, he takes a look around then turns and shrugs his shoulders as he steps through the gate.


21:47, Today: Victor Brice rolled 15 using 1d20+8. Perception.
21:47, Today: Victor Brice rolled 9 using 1d20. Taking a look around, stealth.

Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 181 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 02:55
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Tomas stops and watches as Victor tries to be stealthy.
Grumblejack
 Ogre Bloodrager, 91 posts
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 05:44
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Grumblejack leans against a nearby tree and watches. Even the snack from the prison was not doing much good.

"We there yet?" he mutters.
Lukasz Alazario
 Human Cleric, 45 posts
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 12:51
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Though Lukasz entertained Victor's well-timed efforts for caution of a few moments, the former barrister, tired, filthier than he has ever been in his life, and ready for a chance to just rest and commune with his lord, moved ahead, mace still out. For Asmodeus rewarded ambition and ambition required taking the occasional risk.

Passing through the open gate, he walked up to the door. Mace still in one hand, and the silver medallion gripped in his other, he raised his mace and used it to knock soundly against the heavy door.
Renard D'Vonis
 Human Arcanist, 189 posts
 Path of the Lich Wannabe
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 13:12
Re: Act I: Prison Break
Renard stayed with Tomas and watched the others. He mentally understood the need for caution, but physically he was too tired to care about stealth anymore.
DM Dread
 GM, 330 posts
 Storyteller
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 13:30
Re: Act I: Prison Break
It didnt take long for the party to check the exterior grounds and insure there were no guards waiting to recapture them.

Slowly they filed up onto the veranda and approached the door.

please go to Act II: Into The Knot