Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)   Posted by DM Dread.Group: 0
DM Dread
 GM, 764 posts
 Storyteller
Fri 18 May 2018
at 22:52
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
The party had scuttled the ship in the shallows of the Eastern end of the lake. A Watchtower to the west. Aldencrossbto the east, then had rowed 3 miles to shore into a forest some 10 miles south of Aldencross. The Kings Road was a couple Mile's inland bisecting the forest and would go right into Aldencross.

Looking at each other the group could see the injuries and blood and Gore apparent on each other and thoughts turned to the next part of the task at hand...Ballentyne Keep had to be taken and the gates thrown open for the horde to advance into the soft lowlands of Talyngarde and they only had 30 days.

The morning fog had hidden the scuttling of The Frosthammer from seeking eyes and this bought them preparation time. This was by far the most difficult task they had faced to date. Well over 100 soldiers manned the keep including Dwarven Seige Engineers, A Sect of Mitran Priests and a Reputed powerful Wizard. Storming it was out of the question...were they  ready...time would tell.
Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 520 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Sat 19 May 2018
at 10:36
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
As they rowed back to shore, Tomas said, "I'll look for a quiet place outside of the city to land and clean up. I'm sure the wounded among us could use a breather as well. We should plan our entrance and determine how we will set about our mission within those walls."
Victor Brice
 Human Rogue, 365 posts
 Path of The Vampire
Sun 20 May 2018
at 21:41
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
Once on shore Victor searches for a good spot to stash the oil and rope, He'll come back with a wagon later and pick that stuff up. After hiding his cachet he strips baths in the lake and washes his clothing and armor. Then gets some much needed rest.
Renard D'Vonis
 Human Arcanist, 629 posts
 Rene' Garova (Disguise)
 Affably Evil
Thu 24 May 2018
at 18:27
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
Using his last but of primary spell energy, Renard as Rene' cast a spell to channel dark necrotic energy into Maria, healing her wounds!

OOC: Casting His last 1st level spell slot for repair undead on maria. She heals 11 hp!

13:18, Today: Renard D'Vonis rolled 11 using 1d8+3.  Repair Undead.


Rene' Helps as best as she can to get all the loot and her party to shore, and then she works with everyone to find a safe place to rest. She doesn't even care if they do it outdoors at this point - she is exhausted from the ship ordeal and needs to rest to restore her spent spell energy.

After waking from a long rest, Rene' has a burst of insight as she discovers new wellsprings of power! (Level to 4).

She then prepares a general purpose magical spell that will allow her to clean the party up! She casts and chants as everyone's dirt, grime, and filth vanishes! She even cleans up their gear and their loot, so not a speck of blood or dirt remains!

"Grumblejack? I need you to carry that safe. I have the key if anyone is asking, and the story is it's what we could recover from our shipment having an accident my cart and such falling into a river or something and me losing most things - the things we have are what we recovered. But there's a lot of gold as well as the whiskey and such so be careful with that safe Grumble!" she said firmly.

She turned and reached into her spell pouch a moment, before chanting more. After a moment, a full-grown horse with a bridle appeared from thin air. Rene' climbed onto it.

"As the lady of the party, I need to ride in style."

ooc: Casting Prestigitation on everyone to do a mass-cleaning of the party and our stuff! Then cast the mount spell.

Lukasz Alazario
 Human Cleric, 215 posts
Fri 25 May 2018
at 18:13
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
The group now on dry land, Lukasz spends the little healing energy he had to heal the most grievous of his companions' wounds as the more muscled of their group transported items form the rafts.  Once everything was unloaded, Lukasz states, "Perhaps it best to scuttle this life rafts as well.  It will leave us with little options should be need to flee.  But if what we will do next doesn't work out, how to escape will be the least of our concerns."

As camp is set for the night, Lukasz prayed to his dark patron, contemplating what he had gone through since leaving the mansion as he did.  Then, resolving himself to sleep, Lukasz entrusted his fate to the arms of his comrades...something he would have chided himself for in the past.  However, they had proven themselves better comrades than even his own family was.  That night, he had the most peculiar dream.  He was standing among the burned remains of a town...and somehow he knew it was Aldencross. Drawn through the town, he felt a presence that offered promises of the power he would gain should he succeed and the endless pain he would feel should he fail.  Though the dream was quite unsettling, Lukasz woke quite refreshed. doing his morning prayers, he felt as if the power at his control had grown...a taste of what he could achieve and possibly an aid for the task that was to come.

Offering his thanks for the clean clothing, Lukasz fell into his Angelo guise, his holy symbol disappearing form view as his circlet worked' its magic. Indeed, by the time he was ready, he looked like nothing more than a simple accountant and legal counselor for the Lady Renee.

OOC: 7hp healed for Victor and 7hp healed for Grumblejack
Victor Brice
 Human Rogue, 367 posts
 Path of The Vampire
Sun 27 May 2018
at 17:29
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
Before allowing Renard to spell clean his clothing Victor heads for the spot under the hollow tree and begins the chore of loading the 5 large casks of oil into the hollowed out trunk. After piling the rope on top he Asks Grumble Jack to cover the opening with three huge pieces of stone. Covering the tree base completely.

Then using the headband, he takes on the appearance of a sickly, old, rail thin, albino human. Allow me to introduce you the Horas Rice the Lady Rene's book keeper.

Once clean the Rogue is ready to head to town.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:31, Sun 27 May 2018.

Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 523 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Mon 28 May 2018
at 00:33
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
Tomas had found his time on the boat to not just be a connection to his past but a doorway to a potential new future and as he contemplated their time on board he felt a new and powerful connection to Asmodeus. He was surprised with the way his mind seemed to expand focusing on the will of the god. He had seen others cast spells, but he had never had such a power, until this moment...

For now, like the other “special” aspects of his being, he decided to keep this to himself, but he would soon reveal his new power to his allies, of that he was quite sure.
Grumblejack
 Ogre Bloodrager, 367 posts
 Grunbeld Stark (disguise)
Mon 28 May 2018
at 04:27
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV)
Grumblejack, on the other hand, is not nearly as contemplative as the others. That said, he does experience a certain degree of... enlightenment as savage animal prowess fills him, and he learns to direct his savage fury. In addition...

"Hey, what this?" he murmurs as his fiend's blood gives rise to his very first spell, and his powerful arms now lengthen until he can touch his toes without bending down.

"This neat. Now I can scratch all those itchy places."
DM Dread
 GM, 772 posts
 Storyteller
Thu 31 May 2018
at 22:31
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV) 29 days
The morning is Idyllic as the group slowly awakens with no danger in the forest a few miles from the road and a few hundred feet from the lake.

Each goes about their own practicing, studying, praying, until by lunch they are starting to get antsy about heading into Aldencross. If they left now they'd arrive well after dark.  But now only 29 days remain to figure out how to throw open the gates to hell in the keep.

The clock is ticking and they had zero concept of a plan, in fact little discussion about the maps and information Time on had provided had even occurred...

What was next
Renard D'Vonis
 Human Arcanist, 636 posts
 Rene' Garova (Disguise)
 Affably Evil
Thu 31 May 2018
at 22:39
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV) 29 days
As they began getting ready to head out, Rene' discussed plans with her group.

"Alright everyone, group huddle. So we all agreed our cover story is we're a merchant group with me at the center. I lost most of my goods in an accident where things were swept down a river or something, but we have preserved the goods we could and I'm trying to make a start-up enterprise in Aldencross." she said.

"So once we get to Aldencross, the first thing we need to do is either rent or buy a storefront. It can be a small affair for now, as I'm not afraid to go about into the city to do trades with other merchants and customers. Perhaps we even get a small building to use as a "base office headquarters" for us to stay in, store our products, and so on and as needed I can set up stalls and such to sell goods." she said.

"It also gives us a legit cover, and a reason we'd be seen roaming around the city. We have maps and information from Timeon, but we need to take a few days to scope out the city and parts of the keep the public could have access to, and if anyone asks it's part of my efforts to drum up business. But once we get a ley of the land, we need to assess key targets and points of interest and start doing some sabotage and assassinations and such as needed."

She looked at the others.

"What do people think of this as a starting plan?"
Victor Brice
 Human Rogue, 368 posts
 Path of The Vampire
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 00:09
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV) 29 days
Victor steps up, covered head to foot in cloak, gloves, and boots, Agreed Renard or should I say Lady Rene, I your humble albino book keeper Robert Vice will ever be at your service.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:20, Sun 17 June 2018.

Tomas Barca
 Human Fighter, 526 posts
 Path of The Lycan
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 00:35
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV) 29 days
In reply to Victor Brice (msg # 11):

Tomas had spent the night thinking and he spoke up saying, "The only problem I see is that we aren't going to have a natural connection to the nobility. Perhaps Maria and I should pose as brother and sister who have commissioned you on our behalf?"
Grumblejack
 Ogre Bloodrager, 368 posts
 Grunbeld Stark (disguise)
Fri 1 Jun 2018
at 01:31
Burning Ballentyne (Act IV) 29 days
Grumblejack notes what Victor is doing and then adjusts his headband so he becomes a gigantic, simple-faced peasantish-looking oaf. He then takes up the chest and and grunts to them.

"Grumble carry stuff. What Grumble called?"