Waterdeep and beyond.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 216 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:21/21
 AC: 15 PP: 14 INT: +3
Wed 31 May 2017
at 15:02
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
"He does have a point, though," Zekia said, apparently having worked up the nerve to speak. "This particular giant has done nothing wrong, certainly nothing to warrant such an attack. He is a gracious host, and seeks only knowledge." What is visible of her face forms an unamused expression. "I would think that, having done this for millennia, as you claim, you would know the difference between a true threat and someone who is trying to help the light."
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 348 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 36/36; PP: 15
Wed 31 May 2017
at 19:05
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Bran's next arrow is right on the mark, putting an arrow through the neck of Nor's target and dropping the dwarven interloper in his tracks.

Bonus: Hunter's mark
Action: Attack hits AC 24 for 20 damage
Effects: Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer, Favored Enemy

15:01, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 20 using 2d8+1d6+5.  Damage.
14:58, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 24 using 1d20+7.  Attack.

Berrick Longhammer
 player, 124 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC19; HP:39/39; PP15
Wed 31 May 2017
at 23:21
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Berrick tsk'd in frustration as five of his kin shrugged off the peacifying efforts, but as a priest of the dwarven parental deities, Berrick did not give up.  Instead, he moved towards the fallen dwarf to be ready to help bind his wounds.

The holy symbol was raised again, high above (for a dwarf), and again glowed powerfully with holy might.  "Desist.  There is no fight here.  You cause Mother Berronar to weep in letting harm come to your kin, when this giant brings home our fallen brethren!  Cease, I say, and speak truth!"


OOC: 5/6 passed with a +0.  You, sir, are horribly in team with the diceroller. :)
Mv for flavour.
Std: Cast Calm Emotions.  Again.  Take that.

Tegan Adalondor
 player, 276 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 19; HP: 36/36; PP: 12
Fri 2 Jun 2017
at 00:07
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Tegan pursed his lips and studied the Dragon for a moment, then reached out and put a hand on the forearm of River's sword-arm.

"Hold, Brother," he murmured quietly.

"As best I can ascertain, yon Dragon appears to be truthful when he speaks of this as an attack that was commissioned by the Lords Alliance. Would you work against the wishes of such a worthy and august body?"

This message was last edited by the player at 00:10, Fri 02 June 2017.

River Augusto Romero
 player, 358 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 29/29
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Fri 2 Jun 2017
at 06:01
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
"I believe that such an organization is large and thus can be prone to committing to the wrong course of action due to a lack of information. That is no sin, but it is nothing but sheer ignorance to be an individual confronted with new information and still refuse to reconsider your course. It makes a dragon seem less of a worthy ally, and more of a chained dog who cannot think for himself."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 437 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Sat 3 Jun 2017
at 21:14
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
@Bran, Berrick and Nor: One of dwarves falls dead, blood leaking from his neck. The two dwarves off to the side continue to battle each other, opening new wounds. One of the dwarves attacking Zephyros's orb suddenly stops, saying "Wait my kinsmen, maybe they have a point."

His fellow does not head his words, skirting around the giant to land another axe blow on the orb, further cracking it. "We can't risk it!" he shouts above the din.

Zephyros reaches down, attempting to grab the persistent dwarf and pick him up. The commando is clever though, he swats the giants hand away and runs through his legs.

@River, Tegan and Zekia: The silver dragon shrugs, stretching its wings as it does so.
"You may be right. This giant may be some kind of antithesis of it's kind somehow doing good. The fact of the matter is the Lord's Alliance has issued an order to disable or destroy these towers and that is exactly what we intend to do."
COMBAT

Zephyros ??/??

Commando 1 57/57 **Paralyzed** Indifferent to party
Commando 2 07/57 **Charmed**
Commando 3 10/57 Fighting Charmed/Indifferent to party
Commando 4 00/57
Commando 5 33/57 Indifferent to party
Commando 6 57/57

Berrick 39/39
Bran 36/36
Nor 37/37

Dwarven Commando AC 17 Str+3 Dex+1 Con+2 Int0 Wis0 Cha0 (Advantage on poison saves)

All PC's in Combat may act. Those downstairs if you wish to move toward battle, only post a single turn at a time please.

River Augusto Romero
 player, 359 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 29/29
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Sat 3 Jun 2017
at 23:40
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
River rolls his eyes, and looks to Tegan. "Perhaps I was wrong about the Lord's Alliance. I believed that they valued more agency in their... agents. Instead even they're most fearsome member seems little more than a mindless follower. Even the Zhentarim were more reasonable."
Berrick Longhammer
 player, 125 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC19; HP:39/39; PP15
Sun 4 Jun 2017
at 23:56
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Berrick stomped over to the globe that the enraged dwarf had continued to pound upon, starting to crack it.  With a direct look at him, Berrick called upon his faith, and again his deity answered his request.

"Mother Berronar, Father Moradin, please restore ye this object of art, important to our ally, who brings home yer fallen.  Let us pray it opens the eyes of those to blind to see, and to respect yer care and touch.  By yer will."

The dwarven priest's holy symbol and hand glowed...


OOC:
Cast Mending on the orb to restore it.
Cast Calm Emotions a third time.
Mv between spanky-orb-crusher and the orb, if possible

This message was last edited by the player at 15:48, Mon 05 June 2017.

Zekia'Daleia
 player, 217 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:21/21
 AC: 15 PP: 14 INT: +3
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 01:26
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Zekia glanced at River at his comment, but let it slide. "Well, apparently, talking is useless, as this dragon seems dead-set in killing innocents, which I never would have expected from a silver," she said, and jogged for the tower, moving to join the others.



Moving to join the battle. I'm useless out here.

Don't know how much of my movement is needed to get there, but will full-movement if needed.

Let me know if I need to roll anything.

Tegan Adalondor
 player, 277 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 19; HP: 36/36; PP: 12
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 13:55
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Tegan pursed his lips thoughtfully upon hearing River's comments about the Lords Alliance. "Mayhaps. Or, mayhaps their agents have provided them with information to which we are not privy. Who knows?"

In truth, Tegan was conflicted. He did not wish to raise his sword against agents of the Lords Alliance, but neither was he comfortable with the attack against Zephyros.

In any event, the Dragon apparently had its mind made up, and the discussion seemed to have reached an impasse. "I'm headed inside," he told River.

He turned and called out to Zekia who was already moving towards the tower, "If you reach the others before I do, please tell them about the involvement of the Lords Alliance."



OOC:

Tegan was kinda talkative this round, given what he felt needed to be said. In light of that, I think that it is fair to say that he could not take any further actions this round. :)

This message was last edited by the player at 14:15, Mon 05 June 2017.

Nor Zver
 player, 190 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 16 | HP 37/37 | PP 9
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 18:10
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Nor slams the hostile dwarf before him with his hammer. Releasing the handle with one hand, the maul's head impact the ground as the half-orc reads for the beard of the commando. Jut before getting a grasp, the dwarf knocks Nor's hand away.

Bonus : Attack Commando 6. Hit for 18 bludgeoning damage
Action: Grapple Check. 22 vs 22, Miss

Rolls:
14:04, Today: Nor Zver rolled 21 using 2d20+6, keeping the highest dice only with rolls of 15,11.  Reckless Maul Attack (Bonus).
14:05, Today: Nor Zver rolled 18 using 2d6+6.  Maul Raged Bludgeoning Damage.
14:02, Today: Nor Zver rolled 22 using 2d20+6, keeping the highest dice only with rolls of 16,8.  Raged Athletics Check.
14:06, Today: Nor Zver rolled 22 using 1d20+3.  Commando 6 Athletics Check.

Bran Hawthorne
 player, 350 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 36/36; PP: 15
Mon 5 Jun 2017
at 18:23
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Bran snaps off another arrow but it glances harmlessly off the hostile commando's armor.

I guess waiting didn't make much of a difference after all....
14:21, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 11 using 1d20+7.  Attack.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:23, Mon 05 June 2017.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 440 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 15:23
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
@River: "There is more happening in this world than you or even I can understand young elfling. While you may think this giant is good and kind the fact is giantkind is running amuck, killing and destroying all along the north. There come times when we must follow orders to accomplish a greater good." With that the dragon beats its wings and takes to the air, circling by the tower.

@All others: Those in an around the tower see the dwarves finally impacted by Berrick's spell. They grab their fallen and make a break for the circular exit. Whether they realized their mission was impossible to complete or they saw reason is hard to intuit. Zephyros releases his magical enchantments as the dwarves flee. Each one produces a golden feather as they jump through the hole in the towers floor, floating gently toward the main floor.
Nor Zver
 player, 191 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 16 | HP 37/37 | PP 9
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 15:51
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Nor chases after them and watches as they float away. Realizing what this meant, he rushes back to the slain dwarf and begins frantically searching through its pockets.

Looking for the feather and if they have any military markings.

11:50, Today: Nor Zver rolled 18 using 1d20.  Investigation Check.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 441 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 16:13
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
They grabbed their fallen and took them with.
Nor Zver
 player, 192 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 16 | HP 37/37 | PP 9
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 16:19
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Getting back to where the dwarf was expected, Nor looks around and yells out to no one in particular, "Where's the dead one? The dwarf? They got some magic feather."
Berrick Longhammer
 player, 127 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC19; HP:39/39; PP15
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 19:38
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
"Hold, kin," Berrick called out as the dwarven team started departing.  "Let me see if I can heal the fallen, to assist yer next mission.  If ye have questions, ye can ask them, and perhaps Zephyrous can provide ye information to help with the giants that are causing problem - eh now, we actually came across one of those before we visited Waterdeep."

The dwarven priest had broken into a wide smile as the dwarves withdrew in peaceful measure.

"Mother Berronar, thank you for yer blessings that resolved this without further harm."
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 351 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 36/36; PP: 15
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 20:52
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Bran watched the dwarves flee impassively before turning his gaze up to Zephyros. "Is the enchantment holding this castle aloft still sound? Or do we risk plummeting from the damage they have wrought?"
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 280 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 19; HP: 36/36; PP: 12
Thu 15 Jun 2017
at 00:17
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Tegan pursed his lips thoughtfully as the sounds of battle quieted, and he looked surprised when the Dwarven attackers came rushing through a hole high up in the side of in the tower and floated down to the main floor.

He made no effort to draw his sword, and stood impassively as the attackers came near. "Who among the Lords Alliance ordered this assault?" he asked, glancing from one to the other.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 448 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Wed 2 Aug 2017
at 18:33
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Holding briefly to allow Berrick to heal their fallen and injured fellows, the dwarves explain the following. They are agents of Queen Dagnabbet of Mithral Hall, sent on a mission from the Lord's Alliance to destroy this giant tower. Realizing that defeating the giant himself would be nearly impossible, the Alliance tasked them with destroying his navigation orb, thus waylaying him for months.

Fortunately for you, the dwarves failed in their plan. The orb is safe and Zephryos sets about repairing the superficial cracks, muttering inane half thoughts about 'planar beings' and 'things beyond you understanding'. Clarion, the dragon, carries the attackers away with little ceremony. Just before Clarion breaks into a steep dive he looks back to Tegan and River.

"I'm not sure if your mother would be very proud or extremely disappointed, but she'd be glad to know her boys were together..."


With that they are gone, disappearing into the clouds.




Thus ends 'A Great Upheaval' Chapter. All PC's should level up to 5...we'll be arriving in Bryn Shader shortly

Tegan Adalondor
 player, 283 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 19; HP: 36/36; PP: 12
Thu 3 Aug 2017
at 03:00
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
In reply to Dungeon Master (msg # 278):

Tegan stared in open-mouthed amazement as he heard the great Dragon's ambiguous parting words. For his part, Tegan was unsure whether the Dragon's response was an answer to his previous question as to who among the Lords Alliance had ordered the strike against Zephyros's tower, or whether it was intended as an unrelated comment.

Since the Dragon seemingly knew Khelessa -- although in what capacity, 'twas impossible to tell -- Tegan very nearly called out for it to convey his love to her. But he changed his mind, for he suddenly realized that he was unsure of his feelings towards her -- other than curiosity, most certainly. But love? True, she had birthed him, but then again she had abandoned him to the care of Mains soon afterwards. Having never known her, he was unsure how much love he felt for her.

With a heavy sigh, he turned to River. "Well, Brother -- surely you just now heard what I did. What do you think?"

"I had wavered in deciding whether or not to accept the offer to join the Lords Alliance, largely for the reason that you just now witnessed. I was loathe to give up my independence by taking orders from members of an organization that, while most certainly is working towards ends that are good . . . well, the means may sometimes be questionable."

"But now -- if the Alliance is mayhaps a means of locating Khelessa . . . I don't know."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:31, Thu 03 Aug 2017.

Bran Hawthorne
 player, 356 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Fri 4 Aug 2017
at 00:47
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
Bran watched the great wyrm depart with a staid expression. They had survived the assault and soon they would reach their destination. And from there, who knew? But Icewind dale was a land of open roads, at least when they weren't choked by winter squalls, and Bran liked nothing better than the sky over head and the road at his feet. Turning away from the impenetrable bank of clouds he lay down in the sun and closed his eyes.
Nor Zver
 player, 196 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 16 | HP 50/50 | PP 9
Fri 4 Aug 2017
at 19:46
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
When Nor got back to the others as the dragon and dwarves left, he grumbled in frustration, "Hrmph! I was lookin' forward to fighting a dragon. It would have been a grand tale."
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 357 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 01:23
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
"Patience, Nor," Bran said without opening his eyes. "The day is still young."
River Augusto Romero
 player, 363 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 29/29
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Sat 5 Aug 2017
at 18:30
Re: Waterdeep and beyond
For the first time in many years, River found himself without words.

He blinked slowly, breathing even more slowly, as he attempted to comprehend the dragon's departing words.

He listened to Tegan, and after a moment finally took a deep breath, letting it out with a sigh.

"I still refuse to believe that experience represents the Lord's Alliance as a whole. You get orders, same as any organization yes, but the Lord's Alliance is and should be about diplomacy and being civilized. If giants are a threat then yes, confront them. But if you are in turn confronted with opposing information agents should have the authority to make their own decision on how to proceed; that was on the individuals, not the organization."

He then shook his head and gave another sigh. "As for mother... it makes me want to seek the Lord's Alliance further. If there is any chance that they could help us find her... I'd like to take it."