Frozen Heart of the North.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 395 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 01:02
Frozen Heart of the North
"Well, I think we've run up against the line between martyr and hero," Bran quietly observed. "Now how do we pull the boy back from it, I wonder?" The ranger held his bow level.

Speech only.
Augrek Brighthelm
 City Guard, 7 posts
 AC 15 13/13 HP
Wed 27 Sep 2017
at 01:03
Frozen Heart of the North
Augrek Brighthelm looked to the battlements for guidance. "Sir! What are your orders, sir!"

Speech only.
Nor Zver
 player, 219 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 16 | HP 45/50 | PP 9
Sat 30 Sep 2017
at 15:30
Frozen Heart of the North
Nor roars with anger and frustration at the faster foes. He tucks his head as his feet kick up snow behind his running form.

Action: Dash to be in melee range with Winter Wolf 2

Bran Hawthorne
 player, 398 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Sat 30 Sep 2017
at 15:41
Frozen Heart of the North
As Nor surged ahead, Bran loosed two more arrows at the wounded frost giant, one of them green fletched. Both struck their mark squarely, and cumulatively began to take their toll.

"Right behind you," Bran quipped, giving chase a few strides behind the barbarian.

Move: 35'
Action: Attack
1) Hits AC 24 for 23 damage (hunter's mark colossus slayer, acid arrow) -> FG1
2) Hits AC 18 for 11 damage (hunter's mark) -> FG1

FG1 is at 35 health

11:37, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 11 using 1d8+1d6+3.  Damage.
11:37, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 23 using 2d8+3d6+3.  Damage.
11:35, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 18 using 1d20+8.  Attack.
11:35, Today: Bran Hawthorne rolled 24 using 1d20+8.  Attack.

Markham Southwell
 Sheriff, 4 posts
 AC 17 58/58
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 03:22
Frozen Heart of the North
In reply to Augrek Brighthelm (msg # 110):

"Open the gate slightly --  enough to allow those who wish to return to town an opportunity to do so," Sheriff Southwell called down to the city guard who had requested orders.

The sheriff peered at the retreating Giants and their prisoner. Given what the Giantess had shouted, it sounded like Bryn Shander had gained a week's reprieve, but he had no idea how to go about finding this missing ring the the Giants expected to be handed over to them.

~That was a very brave thing that fellow did,~ he thought to himself. ~I wonder why he did it?~



OOC:

Speech only.

Tegan Adalondor
 player, 308 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 19; HP: 44/44; PP: 13
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 03:45
Frozen Heart of the North
"I wish I knew the answer," Tegan replied grimly to Bran's question. For the moment, all that he could do was to attack the one foe that was still in range of his javelins -- the wounded wolf.

He moved forward a short distance, then flung two javelins at the beast even as he saw Nor closing with it, cursing under his breath when both weapons flew wide of the mark.



OOC:

Move:
Advance 30 feet closer to the wounded wolf -- it looks like this will put him within 40 feet -- not quite within a javelin's normal range (30 feet), but well within maximum range (120 feet}.

Action: Tegan will attack Winter Wolf #2 with two javelins (both Attacks with Disadvantage).

23:38, Today: Tegan Adalondor rolled 11 using 2d20+7, dropping the highest dice only with rolls of 4,14. Javelin Attack v. Wolf (AC 13): Disadvantage (Long Range). Miss.

23:39, Today: Tegan Adalondor rolled 12 using 2d20+7, dropping the highest dice only with rolls of 5,16. Javelin Attack v. Wolf (AC 13): Disadvantage (Long Range). Miss.

Beldora
 Secret Harper, 7 posts
 AC 12 18/18
Mon 2 Oct 2017
at 16:18
Frozen Heart of the North
Beldora's ears did not miss the reference to the Ring of Winter being stolen, and believed in care of the adventurer Artus... but moreso, if the giants approached this town of all places in the world, it was not from proximity but knowledge.  True, Bryn was the hub of the north, but if the giants had word the ring was outside the tundra, or held by a dragon, they would be seeking there, not in town.

Was there then a way to find the ring and resolve things?  The strangers seemed strong, but against a tribe of giants that could just pull themselves over the mighty wall, or throw heavy things and destroy the buildings like living catapults?

The woman's boots were moving before she reconsidered, and she disappeared from the wall and into the town, running through the list of her contacts, and where to be checking on first about this Artus, and about the ring, and how they fit together on the ring's current location - or the real Artus' location, or his descendants?
Sir Baric Nylef
 Knight of the Order, 9 posts
 AC 18 HP 52/52
Wed 4 Oct 2017
at 03:19
Frozen Heart of the North
Sir Baric sees that one of the brave adventurers who was chasing after the fight is having trouble keeping up, and, mounted upon his warhorse Henry, rides strong away from the felled Winter Wolf towards the lad.


I'd like to try to 'pick up' Tegan, if Henry can support both riders. He has 120' of movement in a round without using Baric's action, so if possible I'd like to get Teagan, then ride into melee with the remaining Winter Wolf, and then if possible make Baric's two attacks against the beast.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 496 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 17:20
Frozen Heart of the North
Begrudgingly the leader of the frost giants releases 'Artus Cimber' once she realizes he does not have the Ring of Winter. The giantess gives the defenders and ultimatum...

"Bring me the Ring of Winter within a ten day. If you fail me my raiding band will level this puny city and pick the ring from the rubble. Until the ring is brought to me no one may enter or leave this town!"

With that she orders her giants to spread out around the town, encircling the outer walls. The  valiant defenders scoop up River and head back within the relative safety of the walls.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 401 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 18:01
Frozen Heart of the North
Bran trudges back across the blood stained tundra for a dozen yards before clapping River on the shoulder and offering a thin smile and sharp nod.

"That was brave of you, River. Bloody foolish mind you, but extremely brave nonetheless."
Berrick Longhammer
 player, 154 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC19; HP:48/48; PP15
Thu 12 Oct 2017
at 19:16
Frozen Heart of the North
"Very heroic, my friend, but also very glad we recovered you." Berrick opined cheerfully, and moved to check over River's wounds, offer a few berries, and provide healing as needed to restore the plucky adventurer.

"You looked like a child's doll in her hands, so glad to see this is all that you have from the experience!" he chuckled and hummed as he did a bit of gentle prodding before extending an offer of healing.


OOC: If there is need for more than one person, Berrick will channel his divinity to heal the affected parties (each regains 2hp from Disciple of Life, and 20 divided amongst the injured).
If injury still remains, Berrick will use lowlevel healing and/or Goodberries (10/10) to top up the party.
*If people wish to use rest HD first, by all means :)

Nor Zver
 player, 221 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 16 | HP 45/50 | PP 9
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 14:53
Frozen Heart of the North
Nor gives a hearty laugh as he walks with River, "That will be a fine tale. And I think a drink is in order. What say we grab a pint or two, let the locals find that ring and then make our way out of here."
Duvessa Shane
 Town Speaker, 6 posts
 AC 10 9/9 HP
Fri 13 Oct 2017
at 14:57
Frozen Heart of the North
Duvessa stares after the fleeing giants for a moment as she tries to gather her thoughts. With a few calming breaths, she climbs down the battlements and searches out Markham, "Sheriff Southwell, we have to find that ring. Can you have your men search through the town to find who may have any idea of the ring's whereabouts. I'm going to have a word with Artus."


Waiting by the gate for the group of newcomers to return, Duvessa stands in their path, "Artus, I need a word with you!"
Augrek Brighthelm
 City Guard, 9 posts
 AC 15 13/13 HP
Sat 14 Oct 2017
at 01:16
Frozen Heart of the North
Augrek opens the doors wide to admit the heroes, her gaze notably drifting to Sheriff Southwell while she waits.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 402 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Sat 14 Oct 2017
at 02:05
Frozen Heart of the North
"Yes, Artus," Bran said, grinning now. "Do spare a moment to share your tale."
Sir Baric Nylef
 Knight of the Order, 10 posts
 AC 18 HP 52/52
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 03:34
Frozen Heart of the North
Sir Baric helps to haul River back in with the aid of his trusty warhorse Henry. Once back within safety of the walls, he shoots the town speaker a look, but moves to stand by her side.
River Augusto Romero
 player, 389 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 14/36
 AC: 15 | PP: 16 | INIT+4
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 03:37
Frozen Heart of the North
River sighs deeply; "Bran, I know you are not so great with words, but you just described me the exact same way three times in a row. Bloody strange, I have to say" he says, with a defeatist grin.

He obligingly moves to follow the woman who called to him, but approaches her with his face downcast. "I think it is plain to most that I am not in actuality this 'Artus Cimber', milady. I was attempting to buy the town some time, keep those boulders from raining down, which I seem to have done; I convinced that giantess that I was the person she was looking for, but that the ring was stolen from me."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 498 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 09:02
Frozen Heart of the North
Duvessa Shane is understanding of River’s ploy, once he has explained the circumstances. The leaders of the town busy themselves seeing to the defense and ensuring the safety of its civilians. They ask that the companions update them in two days time as to their progress locating the ring.

Shortly afterwards two very different figures approach the group.

The first is a cleric of helm, wearing battered armor and robes. The young man is out of breath as he speaks quickly.
“You have to come with me and fast! Father Rovald at the House of the Triad has great need of you and news of Artus Cimber.”

Appearing as if from nowhere is a figure glad all in black, it’s face wrapped in cloth.
“Lady Zekia your father summons you and your companions. His agents have located leads on the Ring of Winter.”


Presented with two credible leads and with the frost giant attack looming the party splits to investigate. Bran, Nor and Berrick move to the House of the Triad. Zekia, River and Tegan go to meet her father.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 406 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 02:00
Frozen Heart of the North
Bran held up his hand. "Just a moment," he said to the cleric. He turned to the man that had been addressed as Sheriff. "Are you Markham Southwell?" he asked earnestly. "We've come a long way to find you."

"All the way from Nightstone."

Markham Southwell
 NPC, 6 posts
 AC 17 58/58
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 02:43
Frozen Heart of the North
Sheriff Southwell's eyes narrow at the name of his home town.

"That is a long way. Did my sister send you?"
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 407 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 03:01
Frozen Heart of the North
"I wish I could say that were so," Bran replied sombrely. "We were sent by Morak. Nightstone was attacked by giants. I'm afraid Semile was killed. Morak bid us deliver the message to you personally."
Markham Southwell
 NPC, 7 posts
 AC 17 58/58
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 03:20
Frozen Heart of the North
The man stares blankly for a moment, as if not understanding.

"Oh...oh gods. This can't be, are you sure it was Semile? What in hells happened?!"
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 408 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 12:10
Frozen Heart of the North
"I never knew Semile," Bran confessed. "I can only pass along what Morak has asked."

Bran went on to detail in brief what they had pieced together of the attack on Nightstone. "By the time we arrived, those villagers that hadn't died had fled, the houses and battlements had been damaged and a gaping hole was all that remained of where the Nightstone had once stood. Now the Zhentarim have swooped in to help the community 'rebuild', though I greatly question their motives."
Markham Southwell
 NPC, 8 posts
 AC 17 58/58
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 19:06
Frozen Heart of the North
Markham nods, holding a hand over his mouth as Bran tells the tale. Finally he seems resigned.

"While maybe not the death my sister had wished, I thank you for bringing me the news. I'm sure I'll have additional questions but my mind is foggy and I must see to the defense of those still living. We'll talk more soon."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:07, Sun 22 Oct 2017.

Bran Hawthorne
 player, 409 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 44/44; PP: 16
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 03:11
Frozen Heart of the North
"I'm sure you will know where to find us," Bran said with a nod as he turned to follow the others.