Emissaries of Peace.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 114 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 28/28; PP: 15
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 12:43
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"Well done, River," Bran commended the young half-elf. "This will help immensely."
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 123 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 14:13
Re: Emissaries of Peace
It was the radiant, silvery-white Light in Tegan's face that awakened him. Or, mayhaps I am dreaming, for none of the others has awakened, Tegan thought to himself.

In a similar vein, he was unsure whether the Light actually spoke to him, or whether he simply heard the words in his head.

"Come with me," the Voice said, "and bring your sword." Tegan complied -- or, mayhaps dreamt that he did -- and was led to the keep's small temple, which he had not noticed before.

"Kneel at the altar," he was instructed, "and place the blade on the altar."

Once he had done so, the Voice told him "I am well pleased with you, Tegan Adalondor. But you are not yet strong enough to face the trials that await you. When you awaken in the morning, you will feel more robust than you ever have in your life, and you will be able to cast various magicks of your choosing -- all in My service, of course."

"But you are not yet the paladin that you must become. It is time, Tegan Adalondor, to speak your oath, and to bind your mortal being even more strongly to Me and My service. Do you swear, on your knees in this holy place, to ever observe and be bound to Me by observing the tenets of Honesty, Courage, Compassion, Honor, and Duty?"


"I so swear, and I agree to be bound by such tenets," Tegan answered in a strong voice.

"Then arise, my paladin, and claim your paladin's blade," the Voice instructed. "You may return to your rest, and arise in the morning fully prepared to abide by the oath that you spoke this eve, of your own free will and volition."

With that, the Light pulsed one last time and blinked out, much as if a hugely powerful candle had been suddenly blown out. Tegan rose to his feet, his mind racing with all that he had seen, heard, and done. He picked up his sword from the altar, and saw that the blade was shimmering with a pure, radiant light that he instinctively knew to be positive energy. At the moment he could not bear to sheathe such a blade, so he used it to light his way back to the spot where he had chosen to lay his head that night.

The next morning, when Tegan joined the others he looked vibrant and well-rested, almost as if he were lit by an inner glow. He was clearly in good spirits, for he was grinning from ear to ear.

"Aye, well done indeed, Brother," he said, clapping River on the shoulder.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:43, Fri 04 Nov 2016.

River Augusto Romero
 player, 129 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 24/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 14:54
Re: Emissaries of Peace
River beamed proudly, but waved his hands dismissively at the praise. "The horses are my way of contributing, but without such a skilled and valuable companions to ride alongside into danger, they would be worth not a thing"

He nodded to Tegan in response to the pat. "You seem in a good humor, brother. Excited that you get to be a shining knight, riding to the rescue today?"
Nor Zver
 player, 62 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 13 | HP 14/14 | PP 11
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 15:30
Re: Emissaries of Peace
Nor wakes with a violent snore and reaches for his maul. Realizing where he is he calms and slings the maul to his back and shoulders his backpack. He proceeds to exit the keep and relieve himself off the side of the bridge. Hearing the tail of River's statement he looks at Tegan with curiosity as he stretches his muscles & pops his joints in preparation for the day.
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 126 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 15:38
Re: Emissaries of Peace
In reply to River Augusto Romero (msg # 381):

"Aye, I suppose so," Tegan agreed, still smiling, to River's observation that he seemed to be in good humor. "Let us hope that all will go well with the rescue."

"Speaking of that . . ."
he continued as he pulled River over to one side and whispered in his ear.

"Why don't you speak to the Goblin and see what she can tell us about the layout of the caves where the villagers are held. Of particular import are any side or back entrances where we may be able to enter and catch the Goblins within by surprise. And of course, an estimate of the numbers that we will be facing would be helpful -- as well as anything else that you think of, of course."

"I'm going to see what I can do to make her much more inclined to speak with you about such things -- all a ruse, naturally."


Turning away from River and fixing a baleful glare upon the little Goblin known as Gilb, Tegan snarled, "And if she isn't helpful in every possible way, just let me know -- and I'll deal with her myself."



OOC: In gaming terms, Tegan is hoping to give Advantage to River (after all, wouldn't it be better to help out the nice Half-Elf instead of having to deal with the big, mean one?), should he elect to roll a Persuasion check when questioning Gilb.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 15:50, Thu 03 Nov 2016.

River Augusto Romero
 player, 131 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 24/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 15:50
Re: Emissaries of Peace
River nodded to Tegan, having dismounted to hear his brother out. He glanced to Gilb, who he had tied beside on of the horses, her feet bound so she couldn't mount. He had planned to find a way to safely put her on the back of his horse, even if it meant hogtying her.

"I had her well cowed yesterday; let me see if she is willing to simply answer before I try to pry any of the information out of her" he said.

He then goes to Gilb, and softly but with authority relays the questions Tegan head, in the Goblin tongue.


(( OOC: I'm hoping I haven't lost what progress I had made with her the previous day. If she doesn't want to answer right away then I will get more forceful and roll intimidation. ))
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 65 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 12 INT: +3
Thu 3 Nov 2016
at 16:12
Re: Emissaries of Peace
The brow of one blue-gray eye rises a little, and then the elf shrugs and hoists herself up onto the black mare, allowing the others to interrogate the goblin.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 115 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 28/28; PP: 15
Fri 4 Nov 2016
at 01:34
Re: Emissaries of Peace
Bran looked over the horses with a careful eye before stopping beside a bay, and patting the animal firmly on the shoulder. Holding the animals reigns he looked into its eyes with a gaze that said 'we're not going to have any trouble, are we?' in just about every language under the face of the sun. Having reached an understanding he swung gracefully up into the saddle and adjusted the lie of his bow across his shoulders.

"She can talk in the saddle," Bran announced. "We have ground to make up."

Using Primeval Awareness to forge a bond with the horse.

Yay rangers!

Dungeon Master
 GM, 171 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Sun 6 Nov 2016
at 20:20
Re: Emissaries of Peace
The characters set off in the morning, with the horses River procured. Thomas is grief stricken by the loss of his father, Enryn volunteers to stay with his friend.

Gilb rides on the back of River's horse. She tells you there are many goblins in the cave, more than she has fingers AND toes. She describes three entrances to the cave: a main entrance, a stream that leads into the west side and a natural chimney.
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 66 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 12 INT: +3
Sun 6 Nov 2016
at 21:25
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"If I may," Zekia begins. "I suggest we take a stealthy approach to this. I have a technique I can use to make all of our steps a little quieter."
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 127 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Sun 6 Nov 2016
at 22:58
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"Long odds," Tegan murmured quietly when he heard Gilb's comment about the number of Goblins inside the cave. "Howsomever," he added, "hopefully we can repeat our success by catching them unprepared and spread out, as we did here in Nightstone."

"By all means,"
he agreed with a nod to Zekia's suggestion that they try to employ stealth to give them an advantage over the Goblins.

"And I have to confess, I'll be curious to learn of this technique that you mention. Stealth has never been one of my strong suits, truth be told."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:10, Sun 06 Nov 2016.

Bran Hawthorne
 player, 116 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 28/28; PP: 15
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 01:46
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"I expect the main entrance is the most closely watched," Bran remarked. "And I would be lying if I said I expect the chimney to be an easy ascent. We risk much to gravity, even if not to goblin arrows. The river entrance may be most prudent."
River Augusto Romero
 player, 133 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 24/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 05:36
Re: Emissaries of Peace
River perked up at the end of Bran's statement. He smiled and pointed to the elf; "I'd like so suggest a completely different course of action, but I do believe you were right there at the end. The River entrance will be most prudent."

He smiled and looked around, as if almost expecting applause. When none came, he coughed into his hand awkwardly instead. "As Tegan pointed out, not everyone here can be expected to be particularly stealthy. Even with Zekia's help, however that is, it takes only one bad apple to ruin the bunch, as they say. I can move silently and undetected if I wish, but if one of us fails to remain undetected, then we are all caught."

He pauses for a moment, to let that sink in. "Still, it is a better option than charging in blindly. However, I'd suggest that we try speaking with them instead. We have little to bargain with, but I might be able to convince them that releasing the prisoners is beneficial for their own safety, and that keeping them will incur the wrath of a greater lord with an army; we are merely his first messengers."

He then shrugs. "Even if that does not work, I don't believe that attempting to sneak in will become a non-option. We can always return to it if we know that to be our only approach left."
Nor Zver
 player, 64 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 13 | HP 28/28| PP 11
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 17:05
Re: Emissaries of Peace
Nor looks deflatedly at River, "But if you do the fancy talkin, we won't get to fight. I say we just charge in the front." He looks around at the rest of his companions with a shrug of his shoulders. "At least, that's how the company I was in used to do it. We charge in, kill everyone else, leave. Worked pretty well."
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 67 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 12 INT: +3
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 19:54
Re: Emissaries of Peace
While Zekia's features were hidden, once could see the sparkle of humor in her eyes at Tegan's comment. Then, that humor fled as River proposed his own plan.

"This again?" she muttered, and then spoke in a louder voice. "To my knowledge, goblins aren't ones who negotiate well. Pretty words are wasted on them."

She turns to Nor. "That is not how I was taught. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but that approach will get us all killed. We must approach this logically."

She looks to the others. "River's plan holds some merit. I do not believe we can appeal to their better nature, mostly because nothing I have seen has led me to believe that goblins possess such a thing, but there may be a chance that we can talk the prisoners free. I will perform my technique on us, in case we need a stealthy entrance or exit, and will hide near River to provide quick support if his attempt does not work. If the bard chooses his words carefully, we could possibly intimidate the goblins into letting their prisoners free. The threat of a larger army would work perfectly with this." She gives River a nod.

"Anyone who is light on their feet may come forward with us, while the more heavily armored individuals stay further back, but close at hand. If diplomacy falls through, sneaking out the prisoners will be impossible without being spotted, so we launch a surprise-attack on the goblins and don't let up until our enemy lays slain." She then shrugged. "Of course, I would suggest killing the goblins regardless. Leaving such creatures near a town would be illogical. On that, however, I will abide with the group's ruling." Having said her piece, the elf falls silent and watches the others.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:55, Mon 07 Nov 2016.

Bran Hawthorne
 player, 117 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 28/28; PP: 15
Mon 7 Nov 2016
at 23:26
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"You seem confident in your abilities, River. I can respect that. But there's one area I'm compelled to disagree with you. Once you engage the goblins there will be no resorting to stealth after the fact. Force, possibly, but the element of surprise will be lost, and the goblins will know that they hold hostages and not merely prisoners. Think hard about what you propose to do if the goblins lead out a villager with a knife to their throat. If you believe you can still control the situation I'm prepared to follow your lead. If not, my advice still stands."
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 128 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 00:31
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"Diplomacy has its place, but I am compelled to say that I don't believe that this is one," Tegan said, after listening to the others.

"Bran is spot-on that we will lose the possibility of surprise once we reveal our presence to the Goblins. If negotiations fail, even if we retire and try to give the impression that we have slunk away with our tails betwixt our legs, I would be willing to bet my last copper that the Goblin chieftain will then post sentries at all of the entrances to the caves."

"My vote is to move directly to force-of-arms, and I feel that our best available option is to take advantage of Zekia's expertise to stealthily breach the river entrance."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:34, Tue 08 Nov 2016.

River Augusto Romero
 player, 134 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 24/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 00:48
Re: Emissaries of Peace
River sighed, and he looked to Bran; "I do still believe that I can control the situation, but such belief in me does not seem to be in supply" he said glumly, looking not to his companions, but to the horses they all rode, bartered by his word alone with no cost to pay, then over his shoulder briefly at Gilb, brought to heal by his skill with words.

"However, I'm willing to bend to the popular opinion. I'll not attempt any diplomacy, and we can go on to the subterfuge approach" he says simply, looking back to the others, though his gaze painfully avoids his brother's.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 118 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 28/28; PP: 15
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 00:58
Re: Emissaries of Peace
Bran permitted his gaze to linger on River a moment longer and then nodded. "It is decided then. Work your magic, Zekia, and then let us see where the river leads."
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 129 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 01:07
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"Hold a moment," Tegan said quietly.

"River, I believe that your 'motion' to try a diplomatic approach first carried. I heard both Zekia and Bran say that they are willing to give your plan a chance, and of course you are in favor of it."

"Nor and I feel differently, but these sorts of things are not always unanimous when strong-willed individuals speak their minds."


Tegan smiled at River, and said, "May the good gods bless your efforts, Brother."
River Augusto Romero
 player, 135 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 24/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 01:21
Re: Emissaries of Peace
River shook his head, holding his 'ground'. "Nay, consider my vote against it now. Regardless I'll not attempt to bargain with them; Bran is right, Zekia is free to take the lead from here" he says simply, his voice even though he did not look to Tegan.
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 130 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 01:27
Re: Emissaries of Peace
"River," Tegan said gently, "my brother . . . you have the votes, if in truth you are confident in your plan."

"I urge you to have the courage of your conviction and stand tall, unless your own mind has changed."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:37, Tue 08 Nov 2016.

River Augusto Romero
 player, 136 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 24/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 02:00
Re: Emissaries of Peace
River finally turns slowly to look at his brother. "I have the conviction to say I no longer want to, Tegan. I think it is best we go along with Zekia's plan."
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 68 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 12 INT: +3
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 02:23
Re: Emissaries of Peace
Zekia rolls her eyes at the banter.

"Men..." she grumbles, and steps forward. "Alright, gather closer to me... there we go. Stay still, please, this should only take a moment. Try to be quiet, I need to focus. First time I--" She cut herself off. "Just let me do my work." Zekia then closes her eyes, taking a deep breath, and lets it out slowly while bringing her hands together, the tips of her fingers facing her wrists. She mumbles under her breath as she slides her palms across one another, then arches her hands upward, performing a half-circle in the air before extending her hands to either side of her. Her mumbling stops in the exact moment than her hands suddenly come together, making no noise, though a pulse echoes out from her hands and extends to the others. Zekia opens her eyes, and turns to the others, breaking her pose and dusts off her garments. "It is done," she says simply.



Using 2 Ki points to cast Pass Without Trace on the whole party.

Everyone gets +10 to their Stealth rolls, and can't be tracked except by magic.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 173 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Tue 8 Nov 2016
at 02:55
Re: Emissaries of Peace
The group continues to ride as they discuss. It becomes clear that hills to the north of Nightstone are riddled with caves. Gilb directs the characters to one in particular and track evidence confirms, this is the 'Dripping Caves'.

The adventure continues in the 'Dripping Caves' thread.