The Dripping Caves.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 187 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Wed 4 Jan 2017
at 21:47
Re: The Dripping Caves
Tegan would have spent time moving the skeletons that appeared to be Elven, if not for the fact that some still had strands of white hair attached -- to him this meant that what they were seeing was most likely the result of a skirmish between Dwarves and Drow.

That being the case, the paladin turned his attention to one of the Dwarven skeletons. He held his hands up, palms outward towards the Mold-creatures, in a sign of peace. Then he slowly and very carefully edged his cloak under the skeleton that he had chosen, intending to try and keep it as nearly whole as he could when he moved it.
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 137 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 14 INT: +3
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 02:12
Re: The Dripping Caves
Zekia watches for a moment, as silent as ever. Finally, she steps forward, hands held up in a sign of peace to the moss-creatures, like Tegan was doing, and did her best to move one of the bodies out of the way. Unlike Tegan, she does not care what race they are, and just picks the nearest one, be it elven or dwarven.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 277 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Thu 5 Jan 2017
at 20:11
Re: The Dripping Caves
The companions carefully removed the ten dwarven remains from the scene of apparent battle. The strange creatures that rose from the moss and mold fade from your vision as you make your way the way you came.


Four of the corpses are heavier, as they still cling to ancient splint mail. Berrick (or whoever) give me a brief idea of what the plan is and I'll generate a larger summary post.
River Augusto Romero
 player, 237 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 23/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 00:16
Re: The Dripping Caves
(( OOC: Well River certainly won't be helping with the heavier ones. He struggles with his own backpack sometimes. Lol. ))
Dungeon Master
 GM, 278 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 04:27
Re: The Dripping Caves
It takes a matter of hours but the companions carefully carry the dwarven remains back to the Dripping Caves. A series of several ropes and tied cloaks is used to ferry the dead across the chasm. The group then moves them outside to where they left the villagers. To their dismay they find the captive villagers gone.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 233 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 26/28; PP: 15
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 04:32
Re: The Dripping Caves
Bran pauses, his gaze turned towards the ground in careful scrutiny.

"The goblins have been here. I think the villagers may have panicked and ran back towards Nightstone. It doesn't look like there was a skirmish. To be safe, we may wish to abandon any thoughts of parlaying with the goblins and follow after them for now. If need be we can always return."
River Augusto Romero
 player, 239 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 23/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 04:37
Re: The Dripping Caves
River cursed under his breath. "Yeah, you're right. The villagers safety comes first."


(( OOC: Do the horses remain? If not, does it look like they were taken with the villagers? ))

This message was last edited by the player at 04:37, Fri 06 Jan 2017.

Tegan Adalondor
 player, 188 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 17:48
Re: The Dripping Caves
"Dammit!" Tegan cursed when he heard Bran's news.

"By all means, we should saddle up and follow the villagers. Hopefully, on horseback we will catch up with them sooner rather than later."
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 140 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 14 INT: +3
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 18:46
Re: The Dripping Caves
Zekia frowns at the news, and nods.

"Agreed," she says.
Berrick Longhammer
 player, 43 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC17; HP:30/30; PP15
Fri 6 Jan 2017
at 19:42
Re: The Dripping Caves
"No indication of trouble, yer right Bran." Berrick opined after squatting about a few places, tracking the scene with his keen, warm eyes.  "Look like they just decided that they were up and ready to return home.  Understandable.

"Be a slow pace, worn out as they were, and with small folk amongst their party.  Even if ye tall types cut a large pace."


The dwarf adjusted one of the rope bindings upon the fallen dwarven forms.

"It's yer call, and I'll support yer effort either way, but ye might be doing the townsfolk much better service long term to spend a few minutes here reminding the goblin remnants that you are around, and will punish them harshly if they try to attack townsfolk and travellers again.  Live in peace otherwise, live longer otherwise.  That type of thing.

"Yer travel on horseback will be catching up soon enough with a large group moving together with slow-movers.  I don't have a mount here - suspect that went into the supper pot early on - but ye don't go worrying about me.  Little faster than I look, with the gods' blessings."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:43, Fri 06 Jan 2017.

Berrick Longhammer
 player, 45 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC17; HP:30/30; PP15
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 15:11
Re: The Dripping Caves
The dwarven priest considered the fallen dead, and tapped his holy symbol in thought.  A smile spread across his face and he raised his finger in thought - perhaps even successful thought!

"Alternatively..." he stretched the word, "Let me propose the following.  We have the fallen of Citadel Felbar.  Certainly far too heavy for me to carry without a wagon and good steeds.

"Ye want to track the citizens, good folk.  As we should.  Ye have mounts, needed fer their extra speed.

"If, and I say only if here, a good-natured priest of Moradin and Berronar were granted to share blessings that would increase yer speed of travel, why... ye could catch up with the townsfolk in short order.  That, in turn, would allow ye to travel without need of the steeds - for the moment.  That would allow transporting good and fallen defenders to the town, where a message might be sent to Citadel Felber about their recovered fallen.  Goodwill with the living, and honouring the fallen defenders, much like yerselves.

"It's less a trade as a request, my new friends.  Either way I will assist yer good deeds in helping the citizens."



OOC: DM, if the party agrees, Berrick will cast longstrider on everyone (take multiple castings). +10mv
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 189 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 17:11
Re: The Dripping Caves
In reply to Berrick Longhammer (msg # 346):

"Good thinking, Berrick," Tegan said, giving a smile and a nod to the  clever Dwarf.

"It sounds to me like your plan will allow us to both catch up with the townsfolk, and transport the fallen to a temporary resting-place in Nightshade until arrangements can be made with your folk in Citadel Adbar to reclaim them."

"You certainly have my vote."

Nor Zver
 player, 118 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 13 | HP 28/28| PP 11
Sat 7 Jan 2017
at 17:18
Re: The Dripping Caves
"I'd be fine with that. But, why do we even need the dead? I mean...they're dead." Nor's brow is furrowed as he tries to understand. "When others died in the Chill, we left them. The dead can't help us now and we can't help them."
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 238 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 26/28; PP: 15
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 01:58
Re: The Dripping Caves
"As fine a plan as any," Bran agrees with a nod to the Dwarf.
Berrick Longhammer
 player, 46 posts
 Hill Dwarf Cleric
 AC17; HP:30/30; PP15
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 04:50
Re: The Dripping Caves
"The dead do not - usually - but their spirits can appear to offer guidance, and better peaceful, helpful spirits than those unsettled; and amongst the dwarven people, respect for the ancestors is strong.

"It is said the gods draw strength from the spirits of those that worship them, in their faith, and it is those very gods that help and restore us from battles, grant blessings to bring strength to our weapons, restore our armours, speed our steps to recover our charges to protect them.

"For some, honouring the dead is religious, others respect, others deference to the gods.  Even self-interestedly, if it doesn't harm others, and just might help you today or the future, then what is the benefit of leaving that hammer behind when you just might need it to do smithwork in the future.  Some people just like to build their legends."
  The dwarven priest shrugged his shoulders, spread his hands and smiled easily - which motive mattered little to him.
River Augusto Romero
 player, 245 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 23/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 04:56
Re: The Dripping Caves
River nodded; "That is an agreeable plan to me as well Berrick; let us get onto it then I say."
Nor Zver
 player, 119 posts
 Half-Orc
 AC 13 | HP 28/28| PP 11
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 05:13
Re: The Dripping Caves
Nor stands a moment, processing what Berrick had said. He nods, believing he understands, "I think I get it. If spirits can help after they die, and they would like it more if we bury them, then I will help." His lips pull tight across his small tusks in a smile, "I like what you said about the hammer, but I'd prefer to use it on my enemies rather than an anvil."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 283 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 14:30
Re: The Dripping Caves
The group assisted Berrick in securing the honored dead to the horses. Rope is used to secure the steeds so that the dwarf can lead them all in a line. Upon completion of the tasks Berrick called upon his gods to bless his new companions. They can feel the earth itself propel them forward as they step.

River, Tegan, Bran, Nor and Zekia catch up to the freed villagers a mile outside Nightstone. The village can be seen in the distance, there are torches lit on the guard towers, several buildings now have light within and smoke puffs from the chimney of the inn.
River Augusto Romero
 player, 247 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 23/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 14:46
Re: The Dripping Caves
River hustles to catch up with the villagers, falling in among them. "Is everyone alright? We were terribly worried to find you all gone when we returned to check upon you."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 284 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 15:56
Re: The Dripping Caves
Morak smiles with relief once he sees the group bounding toward them.

"Once they realized we were gone some of those green skinned buggers came after us. Once they realized we were armed, thanks to you all, they scurried back in their hole."

The shield dwarf looks longingly toward the village below.

"It looks like some one is making good use of my hearth. I just thank the gods that tower is gone."
River Augusto Romero
 player, 248 posts
 Half-Elf Bard | HP: 23/24
 AC: 15 | PP: 15 | INIT+4
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 18:31
Re: The Dripping Caves
"The Zhentarim are in there now. I thought it best to differ to you all as to how to handle them. There are guards up in the keep, safely across the ruined bridge. They want the Zhents removed, but how do you all feel? Do you want them gone as well or are you willing to see what they have to offer?"
Tegan Adalondor
 player, 190 posts
 Half-Elf Paladin
 AC: 18; HP: 28/28; PP: 12
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 19:10
Re: The Dripping Caves
Once it had been established that none of the townsfolk had been harmed by the Goblins, and River asked the questions that had been foremost in Tegan's mind -- how they wished to deal with the Zhentarim who now occupied Nightstone -- the paladin stood silently off to the side, allowing the horse whose reins he held put its head down and see if there was anything nearby worth grazing upon.
Zekia'Daleia
 player, 142 posts
 Wood Elf Monk | HP:17/17
 AC: 15 PP: 14 INT: +3
Sun 8 Jan 2017
at 23:44
Re: The Dripping Caves
Zekia is as silent as ever, though she is listening intently to the conversation, waiting to see what decision was made.
Bran Hawthorne
 player, 239 posts
 Wood Elf Ranger
 AC: 15; HP: 26/28; PP: 15
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 01:47
Re: The Dripping Caves
Bran, who was not afraid to offer counsel, cleared his throat. "It is your village, but for what my word is worth I would caution you not to trust the Zhent agents. They do not have your best interests at heart, only their own."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 289 posts
 Alpha
 Omega
Mon 9 Jan 2017
at 05:49
Re: The Dripping Caves
"Well we may as well go hear what they have to say. Either way this town has a long row to hoe...so much destruction."

The dwarf and obvious leader of the group looked crest fallen as you near Nightstone. It was near supper time and the sun was low in the sky.


Move to "Return to Nightstone"