An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 19 posts
 Medical Doctor
 Search and Rescue
Tue 29 Nov 2016
at 20:53
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Maxwell Silverbear (msg # 62):

She looks at the gun then back to Maxwell's face, then gingerly reaches out to take it. "Well....um...sure. The pointy end goes towards the bad guy right?" She gives a little chuckle like she's joking but anyone would get the distinct impression that she is NOT. She's a doctor, a young one, her oath requires her to save lives, and gunman-ship wouldn't likely be on the required curriculum. "I've seen movies...there's a safety right? Am I going to shoot myself in the foot?? Where do I put this?"

She pauses as she watches Roger go by with an M-16/AK assault rifle, then looks back at her (Max's) gun, then back at Max. "Is this going to be big enough? What are we going to go shoot??" She has a somewhat stricken look on her face, but carefully follows after Roger too, keeping Justin beside her on one side and Max on the other.

After a minute she blinks. "It...it sounds like a... recording. It's repeating itself...like a loop. But that's odd that someone would deliberately....is this a trap? A decoy?" Combined with Justin's aggressive behavior she's more then a little on edge. "Roger, be careful!"


(I rolled the extra dice) (12:39, Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled 1 using 1 Fudge die ((1)).)
Storyteller
 GM, 38 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 02:19
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
A bit more information for you Giuliana since you rolled so well:



A bit more information for Maxwell:
Roger Stewart
 player, 10 posts
 Roger served his nation f
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 03:27
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Giuliana Cromwell (msg # 65):

"Yeah I hear the loop also."  Stops before the shaking bush and looks back at Justin and Giuliana.

"Can you send him in to look and see if it's an animal or a person?"  Looks around the ground looking for any tracks especially of animals or people.

Then yells out, "Ranger party, is anyone out here?"
Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 20 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 03:38
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)

This message was deleted by the player at 03:38, Sat 03 Dec 2016.

Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 21 posts
 Medical Doctor
 Search and Rescue
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 03:39
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Roger Stewart (msg # 67):

She looks at the bush. "I'm pretty sure its an animal. Smaller then Justin but larger than a fox or raccoon." Then she nods. "Sure...Justin. Jetzt finden!" and points to the bush.

*"find now"
Maxwell Silverbear
 player, 13 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 06:03
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Giuliana Cromwell (msg # 69):

"yeah revolvers don't have safetys... let me take that back from you..." Max takes back the revolver and holsters it. "that noise sounds like a recorded loop, what kinda weirdo would set something like that up, unless he was purposely tring to distract us?" after guliana sends in the dog, max aims the rifle near the bush, incase something big and furry with sharp teeth and a bad attitude comes out

This message was last edited by the player at 07:40, Tue 06 Dec 2016.

Storyteller
 GM, 39 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 17:37
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
At the command, Justin moves into his “professional search and rescue dog” stance and heads into the deadfall.  Meanwhile, Rodger is able to spot several animal tracks, most of them appear to be made by squirrels and weasels.  But, the most recent tracks sort of resemble those of a bobcat.  However, they don’t look entirely right.

From the same location you were hearing the cries, you hear “Sure...Justin. Jetzt finden!" in a voice very similar to Giuliana’s followed by a set of growls and snarls resembling the ones Justin had been making earlier.  Based on Justin’s reaction, one of the growls or snarls may have meant, “Your mother is a cat.”  He drops out of professional mode and into “I’m going to bite your ear off” mode, as he lunges at the source of the barking.

Unfortunately, rather than fleeing, the creature decides to defend itself.  As the two animals clash you hear a wide assortment of growls and snarls, at least some of which the more experienced wilderness types would assume were coming from different species of animals.  (I.E.  That snarl sounded like fox and that screech sounds like one that would come from a red tailed hawk.).  Oddly enough, at one point, you even hear what sounds like a set of three gunshots coming from the fighting animals.

Between the shadows, the deadfall, and the chaos of the fight, its somewhat challenging to tell exactly what Justin is fighting.  You see flashes that remind you of raccoons, bobcats, foxes, and is that a giant grey squirrel tail(?).

As best you can tell, Justin may be winning.  But the creature, whatever it is, seems to be doing a good job of holding its own.

OCC:  If you are going to try to shoot the creature, you are going to need to roll well or you may hit Justin.  The difficulty will be a 4.  As always, you can earn a +2 bonus by being descriptive (at least 3 sentences).  If you can get Justin out of melee with the creature, the difficulty to hit it will drop down to a 2.

Unfortunately, trying to get Justin to stop fighting and come to you is also going to be challenging.  It will be an rapport roll, difficulty 3 for Guiliana, since she is his handler.  Or difficulty 4 for anyone who isn't his handler.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:49, Sun 04 Dec 2016.

Maxwell Silverbear
 player, 14 posts
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 01:12
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 71):

Max tells Guillianna "sounds like hes taking on the whole forest. i dont like it. aim your flashlight at the thing and call Justin back, as soon as he's clear i'll shoot." Max raises his rifle, takes off the safety and aims down the scope at the creature. [guilianna hopefully calls justin back here] Max holds his shot till justin is not in the way. the voice in maxs head yells "Now boy, shoot now" and max does...

{spending fate point thing, not sure how}
Maxwell Silverbear
 player, 15 posts
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 01:17
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Maxwell Silverbear (msg # 72):


19:13, Today: Maxwell Silverbear rolled -1 using 4 Fudge dice.  shoot monster
+2 shoot skill
+2 fate point?
+? discriptive

+3 or +5 with discriptive bons

This message was last edited by the player at 01:19, Mon 05 Dec 2016.

Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 22 posts
 Medical Doctor
 Search and Rescue
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 07:47
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Maxwell Silverbear (msg # 72):

She looks at the dead-fall worriedly and calls out to Justin. "Justin! Here boy, leave that thing alone!! You got nothing to prove!" She slaps her thigh loudly trying to get his attention and runs forward just a bit. "Justin! Here boy." She repeats the words in German for him to come "Macht Schnell!" and whistles a bit as well for him. "Justin you better not get bitten by anything with rabies! You hate those shots remember!"


23:42, Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled -2 using 4 Fudge dice.  rapport.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:49, Tue 06 Dec 2016.

Roger Stewart
 player, 11 posts
 Roger served his nation f
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 15:50
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Giuliana Cromwell (msg # 74):

Has rifle pointed towards the bush and the "animal", waiting for Justin to come out, after Max's shot in and Giuliana's order.

"What the heck is that thing?"

Waits to see if Max's shot killed it before making any action.
Storyteller
 GM, 42 posts
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 01:47
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
Although Justin was far too focused on his fight with the creature to pay any attention to Guiliana’s worried calls, circumstances align to give Maxwell a clear shot.  The creature connects with a painful swipe of its right front claw, causing Julian to pull back momentarily.  It is when the distance between them is the greatest that the voice in Max’s head tells him to fire.

The creature can be seen clearly in the light of the flashlight.  Though, getting a clear view of it, doesn’t exactly resolve the question of what it is.  It is both smaller and lighter than Justin (probably about 20 inches tall and 50 pounds).  Its fur is varying shades of grey with silver and violet (yes violet) highlights.  Its legs are similar to a bobcat’s and it appears to have sharp claws.  Its body resembles a grey fox’s.  Its head looks like that of a raccoon.  And, its tail is very similar to a grey squirrel’s.  But while seems to be a mixture of different creatures, the parts all blend together smoothly and it is really rather cute.  At least cute for a rather weird wild animal.

The creature gives a far too human scream of pain as the bullet embeds itself in its shoulder.  Taking advantage of Justin’s momentary distraction it turns and attempts to flee.  Although Justin chases after the limping animal, its smaller size allows it to move through the deadfall more quickly.  By the time it is out of the deadfall and heading for the presumed safety of a different part of the forest, despite its injury, it has a decent lead on the dog.

OCC:

Calling Justin off at this point will only take a 1 difficulty rapport roll.
Shooting the creature will be a 2 difficulty shoot roll.
There is no need to make a survival roll to identify the creature.  The result will be the same whatever you roll.  None of you have ever seen this type of creature in real life or in pictures and you have not seen a description of it in any sort of wilderness guide, zoology textbook, etc.

Maxwell Silverbear
 player, 16 posts
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 06:07
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 76):

Max stares in disbelieve, "Holy Crap its a chimera, there not supposed to exist. I've not seen any references to this specific type of creature in myths or other tales.  But myths and legends relating to creatures who were supposed to be a mixture of several different types of animal are common across almost every culture.

The earliest civilizations, such as Sumer, the Indus Valley, Minoan Crete, and Ancient Egypt, had various mix-and-match beasts such as griffins, lamassu, leogryphs, serpopards, sirrush, and winged snakes. The early Sumerians had gods that were part man and part fish. And some sculptures found in villages older than the first cities also reflect this motif.

There are many others though including:

The chimera has a lion head, a goat body, and a snake tail.
The pegasus is a horse with wings.
Hippocampi have the heads and front bodies of horses and the tails of fish.
The hippogriff is half eagle and half horse.
The simurgh, a bird with the head of a dog and the claws of a lion.
The nue, with the body of a dog, the legs of a tiger, the face of a baboon, the tail of a snake, and the voice of a thrush.
The Wolpertinger has a body comprising various animal parts — generally wings, antlers, tails and fangs, all attached to the body of a small mammal. The most widespread description portrays the Wolpertinger as having the head of a rabbit, the body of a squirrel, the antlers of a deer, and the wings and occasionally the legs of a pheasant...

We have to catch this thing, preferably alive"
Roger Stewart
 player, 12 posts
 Roger served his nation f
Sun 11 Dec 2016
at 20:34
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 76):

As soon as the creature comes out and has a lead on the dog, he takes the shot he has been readying, firing a burst of 3 bullets towards the creature.   Focused completely on it, instead of what Max is saying.  Looking down the sights, he shoots.

14:29, Today: Roger Stewart rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice ((1, -1, 1, -1)). +3 for skill so 3.

He immediately starts following the trail of the creature, looking for where there should be blood from either shot (his or Max's).

Whispering but giving Max a very stern stare as he walks off towards it and the dog, "Look, professor, that thing just attacked the dog so it's as if it just attacked one of us.  Plus, it was able to make human sounds.  But, be quiet so we can hunt this thing."
Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 23 posts
 Medical Doctor
 Search and Rescue
Tue 13 Dec 2016
at 22:54
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 76):

Giuliana does know about heraldry.

She continues to call for Justin then jumps back a bit as the creature jumps out and starts to scream. She jumps back further as the gunshots start to ring out, as gunshots do. She's only partly listening to Max as everything else is demanding her attention and her worry for Justin is overriding.

As the creature starts to flee, she will find some of its blood and/or fur and collect some for a sample. While she's not a vet she is a little familiar with local wildlife and its odd appearance is intriguing so she'll put some blood in a vial and some fur in a baggie, before trying to get to justin and check for wounds.


Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice.  rapport to call off Justin.
Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice.  academics.
(I don't like this system...I haven't made a roll yet....)

This message was last edited by the player at 22:58, Tue 13 Dec 2016.

Storyteller
 GM, 43 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 06:16
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
Giuliana Cromwell:
Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice.  rapport to call off Justin.
Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled 0 using 4 Fudge dice.  academics.
(I don't like this system...I haven't made a roll yet....)


That's because you keep forgetting that you add your skill level to the result of your roll and also get a +2 bonus anytime your description is at least 3 sentences long.

So, you got a total of 3 on your rapport roll:  1 (for your skill level) -0 (from the roll) +2 (for being descriptive.)   A success

And a 6 on your academics roll:  4 (for your skill level) -0 (from the roll) +2 (for being descriptive) A success with style.  Since I realized a bit late that the roll was for the heraldry rather than for collecting the blood and hair, your results are in the private post below.  Or rather will be in a just a minute.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:52, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Maxwell Silverbear
 player, 17 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 06:26
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 80):

Max shrugs at the comments but the voice says, "beware the white devil young one, they cant be trusted and this one seems more like a badger then a man." Max operates the lever on his rifle loading the next round. waits for guilianna then follows the others into the woods. [really wanted voice to say, "hes crazier than you are" but it didnt seem to fit]
Storyteller
 GM, 44 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 06:29
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
This time Justin heeds Giuliana’s call, breaking off his chase and returning to her side, though not without a few glances back over his shoulder at the creature and a protesting whine.  While he is reluctantly walking back, Giuliana easily finds a hunk of silvery grey hair and several leaves that hold a dark purple liquid substance that appears to be the creature’s blood (even though it is the wrong color for blood).

Meanwhile, Robert's three bullets slam into the fleeing animal and it falls.  It attempts to stagger back to its feet but fails.  Instead, it cringes back against a nearby tree, whimpering quietly.

When Giuliana takes a closer look at Justin, she can see that he has sustained some puncture wounds and cuts and will likely have quite a few sore spots tomorrow.  But, none of the injuries look serious or as if they will require stiches.  Of course, a rabies booster shot might be in order.
Storyteller
 GM, 45 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 06:37
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Maxwell Silverbear (msg # 81):  private message

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:20, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Roger Stewart
 player, 13 posts
 Roger served his nation f
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 06:48
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 82):

He comes up and has a clear shot on it, as it's obviously in a lot of pain and suffering.  He is wanting to put the creature out of it's misery but instead is going to offer the professor one chance.

"Well, professor, do you have anything to capture this animal and get it back to the HQ?"

OCC:  If he says yes, he'll allow him to bag the animal.  If not, he'll take the shot and put it out of it's misery, then wrapping it up to take the carcass to HQ.

After we take care of the animal, either way, "So, do we want to go back to HQ with what we have here or keep looking in our sector?"

While waiting to hear from the others, he's going to go up to the dog and pet Justin on the head behind the ears, careful not to get any wound.  "You were a great dog.  You did your job perfectly back there."
Storyteller
 GM, 46 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 07:18
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
When you approach it, the creature fluffs up its fur in an attempt to make itself look bigger and, in an attempt to scare you off, perfectly mimics the sound of your three gunshots.  “Bang, Bang, Bang.”  Of course, since it is still huddled against the tree and clearly injured, it’s not particularly intimidating.

Justin, clearly appreciative of the petting and the warm words, wags his tail.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 07:19, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Maxwell Silverbear
 player, 18 posts
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 07:40
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Roger Stewart (msg # 84):

Max will go up and use duct tape to restrain the animal, especially taping up its feet like a cat thats been declawed and putting a duck tape gag on it so it cant bite down, hopefully in a not to painful manor. examining it while he does so. "hey Glianna could you look over this little guy, it would be bad if he dies"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:00, Sat 17 Dec 2016.

Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 24 posts
 Medical Doctor
 Search and Rescue
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 08:40
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Maxwell Silverbear (msg # 86):

"Sure, but I'm a doctor not a vet." She cautiously approaches the taped up creature, and is already wearing gloves. She gingerly turns it over to check for serious injury. She checks to make sure its not bleeding out, and for any broken bones. She also will pull out some bandages to wrap around its gunshot wounds. During her examination she will also check and note its Class, Order, and possibly Family, by looking at its blood, teeth and body. Not taking her attention off the creature, she calls to the others. "Should I give it a small injection to tranquilize it? I'm can, but I'm not sure how it will react with its physiology."


00:21, Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled -2 using 4 Fudge dice.  academics.
Roger Stewart
 player, 14 posts
 Roger served his nation f
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 19:20
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Giuliana Cromwell (msg # 87):

"Yeah, go ahead.  Tranq'ing it might be the best way we can make sure it doesn't get away.  This thing was pretty crazy ferocious."
Giuliana Cromwell
 player, 25 posts
 Medical Doctor
 Search and Rescue
Thu 22 Dec 2016
at 01:15
Re: An Night in the Grand Tetons (IC Thread)
In reply to Roger Stewart (msg # 88):

She will try to make her best estimate for the amount of drug based on the creatures size, heartbeat, and any other info she got, if any, from her previous roll.

She says, more to herself then others. "hmm...it's as small as a baby, so I'd use this many cc's....but its heart rhythm is this fast, so it's metabolism might be high, and you'd use this many on something with this number of blood pressure....plus its a avian/mammal/reptile so I'd have to use this much, but it's weight would indicate you'd need this much....." She'll take the average of all those in whatever order her medical training would tell her....and poke it!


17:15, Today: Giuliana Cromwell rolled 2 using 4 Fudge dice ((1, 1, 0, 0)) (actually made a roll?!)
O.O