Back at the Wagon.   Posted by Dr.Fate.Group: archive 1
Reo
 player, 21 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help.
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 21:08
Back at the Wagon
"My name is Reo." The red-haired boy stated with a bow. He had never met another practitioner and hadn't put it past that his friend could have just been a little... different. In a good way of course. Eccentric maybe? He ran his hands through his hair, his lean build hidden mostly by the green cloak. There was a lot of things he was taught, and while he doubted the knowledge sometimes, he never doubted the wisdom.

"If your headed to the winter crossing, I'm afraid it's been closed off." Reo stated looking back towards the wagon. He hadn't really followed the road all the way, but he also didn't note much of anything that way. Perhaps there was something else back there. He could always check it out later. "Or is there something else back that way that i missed coming in? He asked. After all, if he knew about it, he could find it easier.
Dr.Fate
 GM, 160 posts
 Fate is fair!
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 21:15
Back at the Wagon
Gabe shook his head excitedly, "We're headed to the Caves of Trials"

A quick look from Aston, however stopped Gabe from elaborating further.  Finally seeing that the cat is out of the bag, Aston says.  "When a monk of our order finishes his training he is allowed to enter the Cave.  This is his final test before he can place his feet upon the true path." he gave a look that spoke volumes to the young apprentice who shrank back down to silence.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:27, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Reo
 player, 25 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help.
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 21:57
Back at the Wagon
"Oh wow." Reo stated, his face showing the wonder at the thought of an order to belong to, with its greatness and rules... "I never did any of that. I don't even think we had a training cave." he somberly looked off for a bit before shrugging, his chipper smile coming back. "But, as my master would say," he stated, emphasizing 'master' with a droll tone, "Experience puts you on the path. It is up to you to make it True." He said with a wink to Gabe.

"Do you think i could try your cave trials?" He asked with a light spin, easily balancing on his feet. He stopped and looked almost apologetic. "Not right now of course. There's something i must do. But i think it would be fun!"
Dr.Fate
 GM, 164 posts
 Fate is fair!
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 22:07
Back at the Wagon
Aston frowned, a simple and slight tightening of his mouth.  "The Cave is not designed to be fun.  It is the culmination of a lifetime worth of training." he fixed Gabe with a look, "I assure you it is not something to be taken lightly."

"No master Aston." Gabe said almost by wrote.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:07, Thu 15 Dec 2016.

Reo
 player, 26 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help.
Thu 15 Dec 2016
at 23:18
Back at the Wagon
"Perhaps. Perhaps not. To a wolf, a pack hunt is fun. A welcoming test of training. To the hare, its that culmination of a lifetimes worth of survival. It is all perspective in the end. And i prefer to be the wolf." His relaxed stance shifted slightly, allowing his own training to show through for the briefest of seconds before he yawned. He stretched, raising his arms high above his head before relaxing again. His grin shifting back to chipper from its decidedly predatory look.

Standing around was always boring. Standing in the cold was worse. He shifted from foot to foot, as the wagon came closer, waving at the two. "What is your order called?" He asked distractedly. He was curious, but only so much. Perhaps later he would speak with Gabe without Master around.
Wen Iff
 player, 44 posts
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 00:38
Back at the Wagon
OOC: Ah that Arete... Interesting...

Wen stays with Bill and the wagon as the boy and his wolf scamper ahead.  More than once she suspected the boy's short attention span might have drifted him out of their path, when his red hair appeared once again in the distance.

As the wagon crests the rise in the road, Wen sees the boy, the wolf, and the two cloaked strangers.  She eyes the boy and the wolf.  They don't seem particularly agitated... if anyone seems duressed it would be the elder of the two strangers.

Approaching the quartet, Wen offers the elder a deep bow and the younger a polite bow.  "Greetings," she says.  "Good tidings to you."  Turning, she smiles at the boy positively bouncing with energy.  No wonder he was so thin...  "Making new friends, Reo?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:09, Fri 16 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 165 posts
 Fate is fair!
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 14:21
Back at the Wagon
Aston smiled at the analogy.  "It is the pup, who thinks himself a wolf that gets caught by the trap.  On a hunt there is no room for the capricious.  It has been my experience that the one who thinks himself the hunter is often the prey." he exhaled slightly as the wagon came upon them.  "Forgive me." he said earnestly, "It is often difficult for me to remove myself from the teaching capacity.  You are not my student nor I your master."

He looked to Wen on the wagon, "Greetings, mi'lady." Aston said with a fluid bow.  "The roads must be getting safer with the influx of those new heroes."

"It has been a long time since I've seen this many faces upon the road."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 15:16, Fri 16 Dec 2016.

Reo
 player, 27 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help.
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 15:41
Back at the Wagon
"It is fine. Experience is learnt in many different ways. I welcome the insight whether or not i put it to use." Reo said chipperly. He noted the lack of answer he got in the orders name, but made no mention of it either. His own master liked the seclusion. It often bored Reo to tears.

He looked to Wen as they got close enough to talk civilly. "Of course! Meeting new people is part of why you travel. He nodded to the two next to him. "Aston and Gabe. Travelers on the path." He introduced with a wink to Gabe. "And these are my friends Bill nd Wen. Farmer and... I have no idea what she does. I think she reads books? He asked, tossing a questioning glance at Wen. He hadn't really thought to ask much, but he was sure they had plenty of time to learn of each other.

"Heroes? Is there something happening in the valley?" He asked Aston. Perhaps another clue to help him track down what he was looking for.
Dr.Fate
 GM, 168 posts
 Fate is fair!
Fri 16 Dec 2016
at 15:57
Back at the Wagon
"Aye." said Aston. "It's been all the buzz about the valley.  Five heroes arrived a couple of days ago.  They've already gone about seeking a cure to the innkeep's ailing son.  I'm sure if you stop by the Rusty Blade in Abbytown you'll have more than one person try to talk your ear off about it."

He turned to Bill and Wen, "A pleasure." he said formally.
Wen Iff
 player, 46 posts
Sat 17 Dec 2016
at 01:28
Back at the Wagon
Wen presses her lips togther to stop herself from laughing at the boy's assessment of her occupation.

"Wen Iff, Scribe for the Bridgeorth Library," she clarifies to Aston.  "We specialize in heroic records.  This is Bill Parner," she motions to Bill.  "We are returning to Abbytown due to the avalanche at the pass."

OOC: Does Wen recognize the Monk's order? 

At the mention of heroes in Abbytown, she looks down the road- You're late... a voice that sounded too much like her grandmother scolded in her head.  Stubbornly, Wen ignored it.  There were still other questions that needed to be answered, besides the heroes in question would need to be vetted before any serious writing could take place...

"Master Aston," Wen said, "Perhaps you can offer some insight into what I found..."    Wen pulls the somewhat crumpled drawing from her pack.  "I found a mural in a Kobold's nest.  I'm not aware of the event it's depicting.  Do you know what this is referring to?"

18:28, Today: Wen Iff rolled 20 using 1d20+3.  Religion Check.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:02, Sat 17 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 183 posts
 Fate is fair!
Mon 19 Dec 2016
at 14:36
Back at the Wagon
In reply to Wen Iff (msg # 38):

The monk takes the page and looks at it critically, "Kobolds drew this?" he said wonderingly.  "Can't say I know much about the creatures, but it doesn't seem like a subject they would have much interest in.  Maybe a druid?"

He chuckles as he hands her back the page, "I'm afraid I wasn't much help.  I'm sorry, lady Iff."

The holy symbol of Ilmater might suggest that these were Broken Ones

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:36, Mon 19 Dec 2016.

Reo
 player, 31 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help!
Mon 19 Dec 2016
at 17:11
Back at the Wagon
"Hmm..." Reo pondered momentarily, his face taking on a somber look, as he wondered if he should seek out these heores. Perhaps they were brought for the same reason? He eyed Wen momentarily as he thought to make a plan. But it couldn't have been a mere coincidence... He should probably find more information before making a decision. Might as well speak to the people in this rusty blade.

With a slight plan in place he relaxed a bit, smile back on his features. Master and Lady. I wonder if they could have any hold in the court. He chuckled to himself. "We didn't discern much more than that anyway." Reo stated aloud, waving off the apology even though it wasn't directed at him. "If everyone knew everything there wouldn't be much point." He put his fingers to his mouth and gave off a quick sharp whistle to call Ria back. Eyeing the two men curiously to see how they would react. "We should probably be off then if we want anything done before the day is over. Was nice talking to you!" He ended with a toothy smile and a bow before dashing ahead with Ria.
Ria
 NPC, 2 posts
Mon 19 Dec 2016
at 17:16
Back at the Wagon
Ria broke free of the treeline with abandon at Reo's call.  She bounded past the two monks.  Gabe seemed genuinely taken aback, but Aston was harder to read.  His hand flexed a moment, but was otherwise still and calm as the wolf was clearly more interested in playing with her brother than bothering the monks or the wagon.

Aston nodded his head slightly before Reo took off, he opened his mouth to reply, but closed it when it became obvious Reo wasn't sticking around to hear it.

Abby town wasn't far away cresting the next hill the walled village was visible a quaint little town nestled within the valley.
Wen Iff
 player, 49 posts
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 02:10
Back at the Wagon
"Thank you for looking," Wen said, rolling the parchment to return to her pack.  "We should be returning to Abbytown.  Safe journey."

OOC: Unless the monks have something more to add, we'll continue to town.

Only one more day of insanity and all my grading and classes are done.  I'll be able to post earlier from now on.  :)

Thanks for being patient Reo. 

Dr.Fate
 GM, 198 posts
 Fate is fair!
Tue 20 Dec 2016
at 14:35
Back at the Wagon
Aston nodded, "Safe journey.  When we finish at the Cave of Trials we will seek you out."  The two monks then simply began walking down the path the way they had come.

The wagon took a few minutes to get started again but eventually caught up to Reo and Ria bounding their way through the wild.  Within the hour the cart and the four companions rolled their way through the open gate of Abbytown.

Bill was greeted by the guard at the wall and they were allowed entry without question.

A few shops, most with living quarters perched above them for the proprietor and their family, stood along the interior of the wall.  The wide dirt roads were crowded with odds and ends, and carts full of things people couldn't bring themselves to leave.

The interior of the small village consisted of a low stone building with a thick iron reinforced wooden door.  The inn with it's painted placard depicting a silver sword covered in a reddish-orange stood off the village green that was now jam packed with livestock.  Further down the street was a lonely blacksmith, the forge fires cold; from the looks of the wares upon the wall looked more used to shoeing horses and repairing pots than armor or arms.  A small wooden church stood near the center of town the gauntlet and eye of Helm clearly painted above the doors.  The sound of a stream can be heard further back behind the green on the western edge.

Bill made his way to the Rusty Blade and unloaded the cask of ale and several of the bushels of food confiscated from the kobold hoard.  He turned from the innkeeper and said, "Sergei, this is Wen Iff she is responsible for the food and frankly my life.  The boy is Reo..." he paused not sure that he caught Reo's last name.  "He bravely escorted us back along the road."

Sergei, the innkeep, beamed.  "So many heroes!"<darkblue> he said.  <darkblue>"Abbytown is in good hands I'm sure.  Please sit and enjoy a taste of the ale Bill was good enough to bring?" without waiting for answer he poured a round a small glass each mind you for the house.
Reo
 player, 33 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help!
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 01:26
Back at the Wagon
Reo beamed at the introduction. Surely Bill trusted him now! Good to meet you Sir Gei! From what i hear there are heroes everywhere here. He said looking distractedly at the ale. The bit he had... picked up before was not really that good. He much preferred the alcohol that his mentor had, even if he had to be sneaky about it. Still, it was a gift. Taking a good gulp Reo's face scrunched up. "Bleh. At least it's cold." He said as he felt the warmth travel down his gullet. "But it has a good fire! He added quickly, realizing it could have been seen as rude.

He took another gulp to help prove his point, face still scrunching from the taste. He recovered quicker though with a innocent smile. "So, what are all these heroes doing here? Is there some kind of trouble?" Reo asked Sergei as he wiped his mouth. He looked to the drink before offering the rest to Ria.
Wen Iff
 player, 50 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 04:07
Back at the Wagon
Walking into Abbytown, Wen makes note of the church.  Most likely any records the town has would be located there.

Following the farmer, Wen blushes as he introduces her to Sergei.  The red glows even brighter as Sergei responds with the comment about heroes.  She accepts the small glass of ale with a smile and a nod and thanks Bill for his patience.

Taking a seat, She sips at it for a while, as the voice of her grandmother harranges her in her head-  You have a job to do!  Finally, giving in, she turns to the tavern keeper.

"Sergei, I am a scribe for the Bridgeorth Library.  I was sent here to update our history of Sir Denton.  We were not aware of his passing.  I saw the church.  Would the town records be kept there?"

This message was last edited by the player at 04:07, Wed 21 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 218 posts
 Fate is fair!
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 14:22
Back at the Wagon
Sergei nodded to Reo "Abbytown's been a bit of a mess since Sir Denton's passing." he paused awkwardly as he brought up the hero's name, "Your pardon, lady Iff, we were not aware that we should have notified Bridgeroth Library...  Perhaps the Helmites should have?"

"A fine group of heroes did answer our call for help.  At this very moment they brave the dangers of the West Wood to help my son!"
there was no little pride in his voice saying this and perhaps a tinge of worry.

To Wen he said, "I'm afraid there's not a cleric of Helm in the town.  Sir Denton himself would lead our services to the Watcher.  If you'd like to check I can't imagine anyone would stop you."

"I'm sure you saw the dangers upon the roads.  Brigands, goblins, wolves..."
he coughs slightly with a wary eye on Ria.

Ria, for her part, ate everything Reo offered her and sniffed the ale carefully before taking a single lap then turning up her nose.

From an open window a blue-jay flew in perched on the sill chirped and flew to the rafters.  After a moment a few more chirps followed.  Then the strange little bird landed near Reo and pecked his hand.
Wen Iff
 player, 51 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 18:07
Back at the Wagon
Wen flushes as she upsets the innkeeper.  "No," she says.  "No one was to inform us.  I was apologizing for not knowing.. I was sent here to update a living history... but..." she trails off knowing the conversation is awkward.  She finishes her ale and looks toward the church.

There would be a lot to do once the group of adventurers returned to town-- If they returned to town... she frowned at the thought.  So many stories cut short, she hoped it wouldn't be the case this time especially for the innkeeper's son.

"How is your son?" she asks.  "Two monks told us on the road he was ill and that a group of heroes left to find the cure."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:08, Wed 21 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 224 posts
 Fate is fair!
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 18:15
Back at the Wagon
Sergei nods not really understanding the duties of the Bridgeroth Librarians but not wanting to offend, "He sleeps." he said carefully.  "Unwakeably so."

"His mother and I were very frightened to say the least but the adventurers seemed convinced he wasn't in any critical danger.  They set off to the West Wood this morning to seek an answer."
He paused slightly, "If you'd like to see him?" he said tentatively "He's comfortable for the moment."
Reo
 player, 34 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help!
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 18:22
Back at the Wagon
Reo nodded at another mention of this Sir Denton. 'He must've been very important.'  He smiled at Ria and scratched behind her ears at the mention of wolves. 'Probably hunting outside their norm if more goblins have been seen in the area. And now they are labeled as threats.' He shook his head sadly. 'If only they would learn...'

His thoughts were distracted by a peck on his hand. Reo glanced down in surprise, looking around for a reason the bird may have come to him. "Oh, hello little one. What brings you here?" He questioned, bringing his head down to the table for a birds eye view. He reached into a pocket within his garb and grabbed a bit of seed and nuts that he had procured while scavenging yesterday, and offered the morsels to the jay. "Did you need something?"
Dr.Fate
 GM, 225 posts
 Fate is fair!
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 18:27
Back at the Wagon
The jay took the food, set it down upon the table uneaten pecks Reo's hand again then takes the food and flies to the sill, turns to look at the young lad, chirps and flies out the window once more.

Sergei stops in mid-speech, "By my stars.  Never seen a bird do that before."
Wen Iff
 player, 52 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 18:41
Back at the Wagon
Wen watches Reo and the bird.  Her eyes trail after the blue jay as it leaves the inn.  Perhaps she could be a little less wary of the boy's intentions with Danni, if he was so kind to the bird... Perhaps.

"Where do you come from, Reo?" she asks. "You certainly have a way with animals." 

This message was last edited by the player at 18:47, Wed 21 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 53 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 21:41
Back at the Wagon
Wen will take the innkeeper up on his offer to see the boy... I doubt Wen will see anything that the first group didn't already discover.

She will ask the innkeeper if there is a room available, and head over to the church to see what is discoverable there.
Reo
 player, 36 posts
 HP 12/12 | AC 15 | PP 14
 I'm here to help!
Wed 21 Dec 2016
at 22:11
Back at the Wagon
Watching the bird fly, Rio brushed off what was left on his hand as he got up. He looked to Wen, his blue eyes twinkling mischievously. "The same as any other i suppose." He gave a wide grin showing his canines. "I have something to check on. Perhaps when i find you later we can share tales?" He questioned her. It was too coincidental for their paths to have crossed, so he was sure they'd meet again. With that he tapped Ria on the head and bounded out turning quickly at the door to follow the Blue Jay.