The more the merrier.   Posted by Dr.Fate.Group: archive 1
Wen Iff
 player, 12 posts
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 19:45
Re: The more the merrier
As the Kobolds gather, Wen, drops her quarterstaff, bringing her thumbs together, she casts Burning Hands in the direction of the trio.  If one of the Kobolds attacks, she'll cast Shield.


12:38, Today: Wen Iff rolled 18 using 1d20-1.  Inititive.
12:44, Today: Wen Iff rolled 20 using 1d20+6. Burning Hands Attack Roll.
12:44, Today: Wen Iff rolled 15 using 3d6- Damage
3:19, Today: Wen Iff rolled 14 using 1d20+6. If Shield needs to be cast..

This message was last edited by the player at 20:20, Fri 02 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 64 posts
 Fate is fair!
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 21:00
Re: The more the merrier
Well, this is... interesting...

The Kobolds in front raise their spears and lunge for an attack.  Instinctively, Wen calls upon the raw power of the weave.  The power congeals around her.  The first spear thunks off of an invisible magical barrier.  The second one however manages to still find flesh.  The spear gashes you in the side and pain flares throughout your body for one brief instant... then you feel... nothing.

Your blind.  Deaf.  Dumb.  You can't feel anything...  panic begins to well...  Then you find yourself panting on all fours, feeling rushing back to you you're suddenly aware of how badly injured you are.

You stand to see one of the Kobolds pull its spear free of a dying farmer Bill.

Explanation:
Kobolds rolled an 18 init.  They actually went first due to the tie going to the person with the higher mod.  Two attempted to stab you, the other grabbed the food from the cart and ran.

You cast your shield giving you an AC of 14 (9+5).  The first Kobold missed thanks to your Shield!

The second hit you for 6 damage.

Calling upon the weave triggered your Wild Magic.  Which... ummm... turned you into a potted plant for 1 round.

Farmer Bill saw this and swung his club at a kobold and missed.

With you being a potted plant the Kobolds attacked farmer Bill.  One got a crit and the other missed.  Farmer Bill is at 0 hp and dying.

You've just returned from being a potted plant and it's your turn.  Are you still going to fry them with your Burning Hands?  No need to re-roll since we didn't use it last time.  BTW your Tides of Fate is back.  You can use Advantage on any Skill/Attack or Save roll again.

13:52, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 7 using 2d4+2.  Critical damage.

13:51, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 8 using 1d20+2.  Kobold attack 2.

13:51, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 22 using 1d20+2.  Kobold attack 1.

13:51, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 6 using 1d20.  Bill's attack.

13:45, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 41 using 1d100.  Wild Magic.

13:44, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 6 using 1d4+2.  Damage.

13:44, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 15 using 1d20+4.  Kobold 2.

13:44, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 10 using 1d20+4.  Kobold 1.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 21:01, Fri 02 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 13 posts
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 21:21
Re: The more the merrier
Finding herself on the ground unexpectedly, while not a new experience, this was a first for Wen.  Grimacing with the pain, Wen raises her hands.

Roast them...
Dr.Fate
 GM, 65 posts
 Fate is fair!
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 21:40
Re: The more the merrier
Rising her hands Wen extends her fingertips at the two kobolds before they can turn their attention back to her.

A thin sheet of flame flies from her finger tips engulfing both of them!  Cries of pain quickly die out leaving the unpleasant smell of burnt lizard in the air to linger, as Wen rushes quickly to Bill's side.

No wild magic on this spell.  Kobolds were dead even if they made their save.  So I didn't bother.

For spells like Shield and Burning Hands you don't need to make an attack roll.  They just happen and it's up to the target to get out of the way!

Dying Bill
Success             Fail               Dead?
   1                 0                 No.

Bill's still dying, he's not stable yet.

14:37, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 18 using 1d20.  Bill stabilizing roll.

14:36, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 18 using 1d20.  Wild Magic?


This message was last edited by the GM at 21:42, Fri 02 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 14 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 03:47
Re: The more the merrier
Watching the last of the flames die away on the now twisted and smoking corpses of the kobolds, Wen blows a lock of hair away from her eyes and holds her wound.  "Thank you, Avandra."  Looking up at the farmer mercifully still on the cart, she grabs her staff and climbs up next to him.

OOC: To my knowledge, Farmer Bill didn't leave the cart to swing at the kobolds.

He looks bad.  "Hold on," she whispers.  With a wince she pulls the healer's kit from her pack and does her best to bind up the farmer and herself.

She knows that she can't delay.  The Kobold that ran off with the food stuffs might return with friends...  Snapping the reins, she urges the horses as fast as she dares toward Abbytown.  Maybe she can get him to someone with more healing skill than her own in time.

As she urges the horses forward, she finds her adrenilne, frustration, and anger channeling into a single target.  The minute she returned to the library, she was going to have an indepth conversation with her grandmother on the library's inaccurate information regarding Kobolds.  Dogs indeed.

OOC: Using the healer's kit to stablize the farmer   If you let me stack I'll use Medicine skill as well...

As she is driving the cart, she's keeping her eyes moving for signs of more trouble.


20:39, Today: Wen Iff rolled 18 using 1d20+2.  Medicine

This message was last edited by the player at 03:57, Sat 03 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 67 posts
 Fate is fair!
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 14:58
Re: The more the merrier
Sorry, they're 2 1/2 feet tall.  He'd have to get out of the cart to swing at them.  They were attacking you.  In order for Bill to attack them, he'd have had to have jumped out of the cart moved several feet then swung.  He went on Init 10: after you and the kobolds both.  Besides, if the kobolds were in the cart your burning hands would have likely lit the cart on fire!  Since it burns all combustibles. I guess since I didn't really say, I'll give you a choice.

A: Farmer Bill is on the ground with two dead kobolds away from the cart.
B: Farmer Bill is on the cart with two dead kobolds, but the cart and it's contents are now on fire!


Wen sprung to action, those detailed healing hand-outs in some of the extended versions of the adventuring logs came in handy!  She'd had to patch herself up from time to time, but repairing a spear wound like this and keeping the man from bleeding out... that was a different story!  After a few minutes putting pressure on the wound and adjusting some bindings Wen managed to stem the bleeding.  Bill's breath was shallow, but steady and gradually the pink was coming back to his cheeks.

"I didn't see Avandra help." came a voice from... somewhere...  You didn't so much hear the voice as simply receive it.  After a few minutes of looking around you spot something near the base of the wagon.

From under the cart there sits a... miniature dragon?!  About the size of a house cat the creature has fine scales, sharp horns, wicked little teeth, and a tail tipped with a barbed stinger.  It sat there fixing you with bright sapphire eyes.  "But I can." it communicated to you once more.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 14:58, Sat 03 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 15 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 17:56
Re: The more the merrier
OOC:  Option A it is then.... :)

Wen sits upright in the road as she ...Hears? ... the voice.   "Um... I didn't set the cart or the farmer on fire." she explains, looking around for the source. "I'm a bit new at this, you see... and... Finally, she spots the creature under the cart.  "Well... hello..." she says, bending down a bit to get a better look.    You're a  dragon." She stifles the urge to crawl closer to investigate.  "You're magnificent!" 

Wen's eyes drift up to the seat of the cart then back at Farmer Bill.  He needed to get back to the village... as quick as she could manage.  Touching her own fresh wound, she sighs.  This isn't going to be remotely easy...  She looks back at the cart again, at the suggested offer of help... "I'm sorry...  Was... that... you...?"  Great Quills she was losing her mind...  "Hello?"  she says to the forest proper, "Yes... I would love some help."    The sentence grows softer as she says it, suddenly remembering the farmer did warn her about bandits.

Lifting the farmer from under his armpits, Wen begins draging Farmer Bill toward the cart. Silently she hopes she's not doing too much damage to her bindings.  Looking over her shoulder at the dragon under the cart, she smiles.  "In all my days, I never thought I'd meet a dragon,".  Stopping to pant, she grimaces at how little distance she has covered.

If the pseudodragon is still there...

"I'm Wen," she says, gathering herself to pull again.  Whether she is talking to the dragon or the farmer or Avandra, the conversation is more to stifle her own fear and panic."You probably think I'm not the adventuring type..." Pulling again, Wen makes for the cart.  "You see... that's where you'd be wrong... I'm brave" Pull.  "And smart..." Pull. "And... I don't think writing a history is a good reason to stand by when you could help..." Pull.  "That has to count for something, doesn't it?"

Wen will try to get the Farmer onto the wagon and get back to town...
Dr.Fate
 GM, 70 posts
 Fate is fair!
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 21:53
Re: The more the merrier
The psudodragon looks at Wen quizzically.  "I'm a dragon.  Of course I'm magnificent." it was hard to understand inflection through telepathy.  She watched her silently try to drag the large man to the cart.  She came out from under the wagon to walk almost feline like between Wen's legs.  She finally grew bored and half jumped, half flew to the driver's seat where she perched.

"Why wouldn't you want to see a dragon?" she asked seemingly almost hurt that Wen would take up a life of adventure but not ever seek to see a dragon.

After watching for a bit the dragon stretched from atop the seat looking at her with her dragon head cocked to the side.  "I'm Danni." she communicated.  "You should rest.  It doesn't look like you can get the man up here.  In a little bit he could get himself up here?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:32, Sat 03 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 16 posts
Sun 4 Dec 2016
at 06:53
Re: The more the merrier
Breathing out through puffed cheeks, Wen rests the farmer against the wagon wheel and collapses beside him.  Looking up at the dragon, she nodds.  Bringing her knees to her chest, she winces, and does her best to catch her breath and rest.  "Pleasure to meet you, Danni." she says.  Digging into her pack, she pulls out a small cloth of wrapped bread and cheese.  "Care for some?"  She asks, looking up at the dragon perched on the cart.  Honestly, she had no idea if dragons cared for bread and cheese, but it was all she had and it seemed rude not to share... Taking a portion of the meager rations, she placed the cloth on the ground near the cart and placed bits of the food within its center.

Sitting back, Wen pondered the dragon's question.  "Oh, I've always wanted to meet a dragon.  When I was a child I wanted to see a great many things.  I suppose as I grew older, those dreams became just dreams...  figments that disapate when you wake up."  She takes a bite of the bread and chews in silence for a time.  " I finally got my chance to venture out...I'd stopped believing it would happen.  I think it's Avandra's blessing that I got a chance to meet you, Danni."
Dr.Fate
 GM, 71 posts
 Fate is fair!
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 00:48
Re: The more the merrier
Danni glides down off the cart, sniffs the bread and cheese gingerly then decides to delicately pass.  By this she shorts and turns up her nose.  She returns to her perch and crosses her front claws one over the top then rests her head on it sapphire eyes peering out into the darkness vigilantly.

When Wen again brings up Avandra, Danni chuckles.  It's a sound that sounds like a cross between gravel hitting the ground and a cat's purr.  "It is not Avendra that brings us together, Wen.  Another watches over you tonight."

If you have more to do with Danni feel free.  The next part is just to move the story along.

When you close your eyes, you realize just how tired you are and how much the fight has taken out of you.  Adventuring, is nothing like the things you've read about, at least so far.  You slip into a light sleep that gets deeper very quickly.

Before you know it, your eyes snap open in a panic.  It's very dangerous to sleep out in the open like this...  Yet all seems fine.  Your wound doesn't hurt so much and you look over to see farmer Bill has regained consciousness.  When he sees you wake he rises to his feet, a little unsteadily but without any help.

"Monsters took more than I can spare." he said dejectedly.  "I know I should be thankin' yah for savin' my life killin' those critters.  But I need be askin' yah a bit more." he takes his hat off his head and holds it.  "Don't suppose you can get what they took from me?  If'in' you don't; I can't say I blame yah.  You don't owe me nothin'.  But without what they took off with I won't last the winter anyway.  Me farm's lost and I can't grow more."  He looked over the dead kobolds, "You seem to be handlin' them better than most.  I can pay you.  My whole life's in this cart.  You can be havin' your pick for your aid.  Might be somethin' useful to yah."

The two dead kobolds still lie near the edge of the road.  But, two more lie near the edge of the tree line.  Each bearing a large wound caused by a stinger.  Danni was nowhere to be seen.
Wen Iff
 player, 17 posts
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 14:08
Re: The more the merrier
OOC: How is Wen's health?  I have it at 3.  She's practical- venturing out with a stab wound is crazy- she'd rather give the farmer a few gold pieces than die in the wilderness alone- Only one two foot tall Kobold ran off with the farmer's food... how much would that be?
Dr.Fate
 GM, 72 posts
 Fate is fair!
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 14:15
Re: The more the merrier
In reply to Wen Iff (msg # 28):

Depends, I was going to give you the choice of a long rest or a short rest.

Short rest= (about an hour) still mid-morning.  You heal 1d6+3 hp.

Long rest= (8 hours) nearing dusk.  You're fully healed and have all your spell slots back.

Farmer Bill is up after about an hour.  You get the idea from farmer Bill he's not going to take the cash.  If you turn him down (which you can) he'll go after what they took by himself.

Wen Iff
 player, 19 posts
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 21:33
Re: The more the merrier
OOC: Darn hat strangling, very polite, kind hearted farmer.... I'll take the 8hrs.

Wen stands, feeling better, but noneless unnerved by the two dead Kobolds Danni obviously fought while she was out.  She is a little disappointed that the dragon has vanished, but she supposes that's the way of it...

"I'm afraid I can only take credit for two," She says to the farmer pointing to the crispy Kobolds.  "To be honest, these other two were a friend... I think...". With a stalwart resignment, Wen agrees to help the farmer.  Before leaving she'll search the two stung kobolds for any help in understanding what she's dealing with.  She's a little reluctant in heading into the woods after the kobolds in the dark, but if the farmer heads out, she'll go with him.
Dr.Fate
 GM, 82 posts
 Fate is fair!
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 21:40
Re: The more the merrier
The two stung kobolds are dead, each was armed with a half-spear similar to the one that stabbed you and farmer Bill.  Each has 5gp and 5sp.

Farmer Bill nods his thanks, his face relaxing realizing he wouldn't have to do this alone.  He pulled a hooded lantern from within his wagon and lights it.  He holds the lantern high in the growing darkness of dusk.  His club gripped firmly in his other hand.

The kobold footprints are easy to follow through the muddy forest.  They lead to the northeast where the land begins to get rocky.  Rainwater drips from the branches overhead as you walk up and down high ridges.

The footprints lead to a grassy clearing in the forest.  Towering from the middle of the space is a huge gray tree.  A hole has been burned neatly into its dead, core, and you hear quite the ruckus from inside.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:46, Mon 05 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 20 posts
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 04:33
Re: The more the merrier
OOC:  Ugg stealth and Wen...
Moving as silently as she can, Wen will try to discover what is going on in the tree.  That said, shield will be used if there is an attack.

Figured this would be necessary-
 21:30, Today: Wen Iff rolled 14 using 1d20-1. Stealth.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 87 posts
 Fate is fair!
Tue 6 Dec 2016
at 14:15
Re: The more the merrier
Despite her lack of confidence Wen easily sneaks up as close as the entrance to the burned out tree.  Inside she sees five Kobolds various weapons, spears, crossbows and shortswords litter the lair as well as casks of food and other things taken from travelers upon the road.  Two now stand in front apparently arguing over a bag of corn.

Bill crouches from a few feet away gripping his club and trying not to shake.  It's only a matter of time before you're discovered.


This message was last edited by the GM at 14:15, Tue 06 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 22 posts
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 04:06
Re: The more the merrier
 Looking at the interior of the tree, Wen gages that the Kobolds are within the distance of her Mage Hands spell.  She reasons that a plume of fire entering the tree will disuade the other kobolds from attacking right away and force them to retreat while baking two of the five...

Letting the magic flow through her, Wen allows the Chaos in...

OOC: I could end up a potted plant again- or worse, but what fun is it if I don't use it?

Wen brings her thumbs together, and casts- Burning Hands.

20:56, Today: Wen Iff rolled 10 using 3d6.  Burning Hands .

20:58, Today: Wen Iff rolled 7 using 3d6.  Burning Hands reroll (The other was better, but I was hoping for popcorn.)  :)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:42, Sat 10 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 100 posts
 Fate is fair!
Wed 7 Dec 2016
at 15:42
Re: The more the merrier
Wen seizes the imitative.  She unleashes a cone of magical fire.  The rolling flames lash out at the two Kobolds in front of her engulfing them in magical flames.

One manages to duck the brunt of the flames coming away singed but limping.

Suddenly the tree hallow is alive with shouts and confusion.

In the mix of it Wen feels at one with the flowing magic inside her steeling herself to produce even more magical effects than she even thought possible.



I rolled 3 saves until I realized your 15 foot cone wouldn't reach the one in the back.  Bummer too, cause you'd have killed him!

No wild magic effect.  I took the liberty of using your font of magic ability.  So you can still cast 2 1st level spells this combat!  You also have your tides of chaos.  You can use it for this initiative roll?  Or you can save it for combat.

Roll initiative for me please?

08:34, Today: Dr.Fate, on behalf of Wen Iff, rolled 10 using 1d20.  Wild Magic?

08:34, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 4 using 1d20+1.  Kobold Init.

08:33, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 8 using 1d20+1.  Kobold 3 reflex.

08:32, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 9 using 1d20+1.  Kobold 2 reflex.

08:32, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 20 using 1d20+1.  Kobold 1 reflex.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:46, Wed 07 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 24 posts
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 01:29
Re: The more the merrier
Rebounding after the magical blast, Wen frowns.  A new spell she had been looking at earlier comes to mind-  she hasn't really practiced it, but... might as well try...  with a shout she releases magic missle at the nearest three kobolds...

OOC:  18:09, Today: Wen Iff rolled 13 using 1d20-1.  Initiative
OOC:  18:23, Today: Wen Iff rolled 5 using 1d4+1. Magic Missile damage   Apparently Wen is a prodigy at this one...  :)
Dr.Fate
 GM, 103 posts
 Fate is fair!
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 06:42
Re: The more the merrier
Wen releases a torrent of magical energy.  Three bolts of force fly from her outstretched hand unerringly streaking out into the tree catching Kobolds true.  In a matter of seconds four of the five kobolds lie dead.

The remaining kobold, his eyes wide with panic looks from where he sat and his dead fellows.  He'd have bolted, but the powerful wizard was standing dead center of the only exit to the tree.

He reached for the nearest weapon, a half spear and launched it desperately at Wen while making a bolt for cover and more weapons...

As the spear left the goblin's hand instinctually Wen called forth her magical defense.  Unlike last time however, the shield simply materialized and the spear clattered harmlessly off the protection.  She was a little surprised not to find herself a potted plant once more.





Neither spell caused any wild magic.  The Kobold's attack had no shot of hitting you.

You're up, sadly no 1st level spots left.  But you do have your Tides of Chaos.  You can use advantage on your Fire Bolt if you like...

23:34, Today: Dr.Fate rolled 7 using 1d20-1.  Kobold attack.

23:31, Today: Dr.Fate, on behalf of Wen Iff, rolled 3 using 1d20.  Wild Magic #2?

23:30, Today: Dr.Fate, on behalf of Wen Iff, rolled 17 using 1d20.  Wild Magic?

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:43, Thu 08 Dec 2016.

Wen Iff
 player, 25 posts
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 08:43
Re: The more the merrier
The spear surprises Wen, even more so when she finds that it is rebuffed.  Setting her sights on the last kobold, Wen casts fire bolt in its direction.

01:39, Today: Wen Iff rolled 10 using 1d10.  Fire bolt damage.
 01:38, Today: Wen Iff rolled 22 using 1d20+6.  Fire bolt attack.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 105 posts
 Fate is fair!
Thu 8 Dec 2016
at 14:14
Re: The more the merrier
The last kobold goes down as Wen turned her arcane fury at it.  A bolt flies from her hand taking the kobold in the chest and knocking him off his feet.

In seconds, it was over!  "That was magnificent!" said Bill, still not having a chance to even get inside the tree with his club.  In truth, it was.  Wen had read countless stories and few of them could match the deeds she, herself, had just accomplished.  Five kobolds dead and she without a scratch.  That was the kind of things the Iffs drooled to be able to add to the pages of their books.

The tree is large, far larger than a kobold would need.  Crates and sacks line several walls.  Bill sees his missing chest and rushes over to it.  He throws open the lid and inside are several bags of foodstuff which he ignores instead digging a small pouch out from the center and pulling out a silver locket clutching it to his chest in relief.
Wen Iff
 player, 27 posts
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 02:59
Re: The more the merrier
Watching the last firebolt slam into the final kobold, Wen breathes in, the smell of burnt lizard wrinkling her nose... or was it burnt dog????  A little out of breath, Wen leans against the edge of the tree.  Bringing her hand to her lips, she lets out a little laugh almost disbelieving what she just accomplished.  She blushes at Farmer Bill's complement...she pauses... that may have been the first sincere complement of her life... Wen smiles, looking down at her feet.

"Thanks for having my back, Avandra." she whispers, and breaths out her held breath through pursed lips. She can't but help look at her hands.  Amazing!

Watching Farmer Bill pass, Wen stays near the door, keeping an eye out for any other Kobold's returning to the nest.  From the door, she watches the farmer comb through the chest and pull out the locket.  A small smile passes across her lips.  Some things are more important than living life without them...  She was glad she helped.

OOC: Once Farmer Bill has finished with his things, Wen will look through the contents of the tree for items of interest, after all- how often does one get the chance to look through a kobold hord.  Perhaps this could make an interesting bit of information for the library.

Wen will help the farmer move his items back to the cart along with anything else that will help the man survive the coming winter.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:44, Fri 09 Dec 2016.

Dr.Fate
 GM, 119 posts
 Fate is fair!
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 16:44
Re: The more the merrier
Each of the Kobolds have 5gp and 5sp on them.  One of them is wearing a copper pendant with strange markings.  You also find several sacks and barrels from looted wagons containing food, grain, and a cask of ale.

As you're moving the cask you notice something faint on the wall.  You look closer to reveal a painting on the inside of the wall.  They seem to tell a story of monsters hunting in the forest and hurting trees.  The last pictures are images of a human or elven figured shrouded in light and defeating the monsters.

Light is starting to fade.  Do you stay here, or make for the abandoned wagon with your foodstuffs?
Wen Iff
 player, 29 posts
Fri 9 Dec 2016
at 17:09
Re: The more the merrier
Wen will take the necklace and wrap it in the cloth in her pack.  The money she will pass along to the farmer, as she finds the picture, she pulls out her parchment and ink and copies down the image much as she has done over the years copying the biographies written by others.

Pouring sand on the parchment she will return it to the pack and join the farmer who no doubt wants to return to his horses.